• Published 3rd Aug 2014
  • 12,192 Views, 623 Comments

Calming Sigh-- with a Breath of Fire - Laze Around



[Breath of Fire 3 x MLP] Human becomes his favorite game character and was thrown into Equestria. After escaping Celestia and Luna, he finds out how hard it is to live for so long beyond a human's lifespan.

  • ...
46
 623
 12,192

A Purpose

I was staring at a forest, still clad in the similar attire of Yuuki Terumi. I stood with my back slouched, still and unmoving. My arms were limp by my side, fingers cold and numb from who knows how long since I stood there.

Behind me was the Everfree Forest, dark and unusually silent. Nothing moved within its’ chaotic wildlife, nothing that I would care to notice, at least.

My breathing was silent as I pondered again and again, the same thought repeating in my head for I don’t know how long awhile.

I thought that it was a possibility. I thought that there was a chance for it to happen, but I dismissed the idea entirely. For it to come to pass would mean that something had been lost forever.

Yet, here I stood staring at Nothing.

The gears in my head turned as my mind tried to think of something else… anything else. But it couldn’t. It was like a broken record, singing the same tune and song again and again and again and again....

Gone...

“Ponyville…”

Gone…

But that was wrong. That would imply that it used to be there before.

Gone…

The gears in my head were old, complicated and… cracked. Bits and pieces were chipped off and lost forever, along with those chips were most of my rationality and logic; the things that made me myself. I knew that. I knew and accepted that.

My Conscience had been the very first to break off. When I started my search for a way back to my old world, I realized that nothing would have happened if I just waited for something to fall on my lap. I made a choice, then, to do whatever it would take to get what I wanted.

Gone...

Next had been my Reluctance. I became daring; Driven. I acted like there was nothing else to lose. I searched and searched and searched, then I took and took and took and took… anything and everything that would lead to a new world.

Gone...

The rest of my mind soon followed. It was slow, and it was gradual. I lost more and more as the years went by, only seeming to pull myself back together when I came back to Equestria to visit the mare that took care of me when I first came to this world.

Gone…

My Humanity. That was the only things left inside. I clung on to it desperately even as I trained to fully master my body. Much of it had been lost, chipped away, but the core of it still held strong. It was the reason why I’ve never dared to go full dragon again. I feared that if I ever did, then that piece of me would shatter, taking the rest of my mind along with it.

Gone…

But I was wrong. That little piece wasn’t the thing that held me together. What held me together was my desire to go home, to go back to my family. And I found one. I found it after I gave up on trying to return to my old world. I found it before I fully succumbed into despair.

The Apple Family. My Family.

Gone…

They were my home. They were my loved ones. My Friends. My companions. My Treasure.

Gone…

They were what held me together. They ARE what STILL holds me together!

But they’re gone...

They DON’T exist here!

Gone…

Where are they!? Where is my family!? WHERE IS MY HOME!?

Gone…

Where was the little filly I raised?! The one who grew old enough to become the best grandmother for her family?!

Gone…

Where was the young and silent colt that I raised?! The one who grew up to be strong and dependable?!

Gone…

Where was my little niece that I barely even knew, yet?! I haven’t even shared many memories with her! I still wanted to tell her of my stories, to teach her more, and raise her like I did her family!

Gone…

Where was Applejack?! Where was my little girl, the one I loved and cared for like my own?! Where is she?! Where is my DAUGHTER?!

Gone...

“Give them back.” I glared through gritted teeth. “Give them BACK!”

The winds blew into a hurricane. Magic erupted from my very skin as I stared at WHAT NEVER CAME TO BE.

The forests around me tilted and fell. The animals fled for their lives. And the skies above darkened.

“GIVE THEM BACK!”

Hakumen!

You! You’re the reason for this! It was because you tampered with the past, it was because you meddled with the destiny of this world! You took away something that can never be returned!

“Give them back.”

My vision blurred as my tears fell. My jaw trembled as I held back a sob.

“Give them back…”

My legs buckled and I fell to my knees. My magic stopped spreading into the air, my mind unfocused and buried in grief, as I cried on the grass.

Gone...

I knew that this wasn’t my world. I knew that my Family still existed. I knew. I KNEW.

But… only my Mind knew. My Heart simply couldn’t tell the difference.

This was a possibility that I never wanted to happen. This was a possibility that I feared the most. In the Alternate Equestrias, I never wanted to come to one where my Family did not exist.

“Please…” I sobbed. “Where is my home? Give me back my home.”

And so I cried and cried and cried… There was nothing else that I could do.

They were all Gone...


I have never felt so drained in my entire life. To face a reality that you never wanted to happen could destroy a person.

When I came back to Canterlot to meet with the two sisters, they asked me what happened. I didn’t say much. I just told them that the devastated land would gain Hakumen’s attention, where he would come and investigate for the cause.

I left all of the planning up to them. I was unwilling to participate and was just content in simply floating in the realm of the Shadows. There, I pondered on what to do in a world without a home. But I couldn’t think of anything.

A few days later, Hakumen was spotted near the area where Ponyville should have been. The Princesses had been making preparations and were ready to deploy by then. They waited a few hours to make sure that Hakumen didn’t leave. When they deemed that he wasn’t leaving anytime soon, they decided to put their plans into action.

It was an evening with a full moon. The Everfree around the old castle of the two Sisters was quite, instinctively knowing the hidden tension in the air.

I looked up and stared at the monument that once held the Elements of Harmony. It was the same place where Applejack and the rest of her friends found the stone orbs of the Elements, back during Nightmare Moon’s return. The stone scales still held the five orbs in this world but…

Taking one in my hand, I started scratching off the moss that clung on its surface. There was no magic within the rock in my hand, not even a sliver of power. It’s been too long since the Elements were taken. These must merely have been their vessels.

“Preparations are complete.” Celestia declared behind me. “Hakumen has been spotted near the forest, in the area where you and him fought before.”

I hummed in response, still not motivated to do much. I was still grieving.

Celestia clicked her tongue in irritation. Her temper had been running high since the day I came back to their castle. I barely interacted with her and her sister, and when I did it was only to give them a response.

“I still do not see what was so special about that land.” She said with mild contempt. “Even after you leveled the area, we still saw nothing of importance in there.”

A bubble of rage started to rise inside me, but it simply fizzled out before it could become anything more.

I blinked and looked down at the two broken halves of the stone orb in my hands. I pushed them back together to see if the breaks matched, simply out of curiosity. They did. With that satiated, I placed the broken halves back on the scale where I first took them from.

Celestia snorted, reading more into my reaction than there really was. “Get ready.” She said in more like a command. “You know the plan already, yes?”

“I do.” I nodded, my back still turned to her.

“Then remember,” she added, “this plan relies on you to inflict as much damage on Hakumen as you can. Luna and I will be in the distance, to make sure that we are ready to attack as soon as you give the signal.”

“Understood.” I said. Though I did wonder briefly how they plan on penetrating the defenses of the Susano’o Unit. I’m not sure if even I had something that could break the outer layer of Hakumen’s armor.

Soon…

Hm?

Soon…

My head turned from side to side, looking around the ruined castle. A strange feeling welled up inside me, something similar to anticipation. But it wasn’t mine. I could tell that it wasn’t mine.

There was something like a resonance in the air, an invisible pull tugging at my core.

My head finally turned towards Celestia and I felt the pull stronger coming from her. She was looking into the distance, to the place where Hakumen was said to have been located. Her stance, expression, and her aura radiated the same feeling of anticipation that I sensed.

I frowned in confusion. I don’t recall having that kind of ability. I was no empath, there was no way that I could have developed something like that. At least, not without the [Fusion] and [Mutant] Gene inside me, and not without a creature with empathetic properties. But even then it would require me to be in their presence for decades for such mutations to occur.

“What’s on your mind, Princess?” I wondered out loud, catching her attention.

She turned to me, her expression transforming into a mask of determination. “Nothing that concerns you, Displaced.”

Yet those words only heightened my curiosity. The feeling of anticipation was still there, hidden under her facade, and I could still feel it. “On the contrary, Princess, if what you have has anything to do with the upcoming fight, then it is a concern of mine. Any potential distraction could lead to my demise. I will need you and your sister to be focused primarily on the task at hand.”

Celestia’s face scrunched up in anger as she glared at me. “Then there is no problem.” She said through gritted teeth. “The only thing that I have in mind is the death of Hakumen and the peace of my kingdom.”

My brow quirked at the statement. “Your kingdom?” I asked, taking a step closer to the armored Princess. “I seem to recall that there two rulers of this land.”

The alicorn’s face darkened and I was mildly surprised at the amount of contempt that I saw on her expression. “Yes…” she hissed. “There are TWO princesses in Equestria at the moment, yet everypony seems to forget that tiny, little detail.”

Two, she said, as there had been no ascensions in the last few centuries. There was no Princess of Love in this world. Cadence existed, that much I was sure of, but the little mare lived in Cloudsdale, away from the ground where Hakumen walked. She was put in charge of the flying city, but that was it. Perhaps she was too busy to find her calling and become a princess? I didn’t know, for I didn’t check.

“A sense of Deja Vu suddenly overwhelms me.” I mused, taking another step closer to the mare. It felt like the start of Nightmare Moon all over again. “Care to share your tale, Princess?”

“It’s none of your business.” She spat, turning her back to me and trotting away.

I dove into my shadow, thick and prominent thanks to the fires of her mane and tail, and quickly rose out of the shade under hers. The [Shadowwalk] had been quick, near instantaneous, and Celestia reared back in surprise the moment I popped out in front of her.

“But, Princess, it’s as I said,” I leaned forward and loomed over her. I held her gaze just as wide as she held mine. “If this distraction will endanger my person, then I at least would like to know the thing that could possibly get me killed.”

Celestia glared and leaned forward, the front of her horn pressed on my forehead as she began to push against me. Her mane lit the shadows under my hood. “I said: It’s none of your business.”

“As the Bait,” I grabbed her horn and pushed back slightly. She gasped in surprise, but I used my other hand to grab her face to make her look back into my eyes. “It is my business. I’m placing my life on the line for you and this world, the least you could do is share what you’re thinking. Tell me what’s on your mind, Celestia, tell me what could possibly fill you with anticipation that I could practically feel it radiating off your body.”

I released my hold on her head and took a step backward. I endured her glare without flinching. Even as the fires that made up her mane blazed bigger and hotter, I held her gaze without blinking and stared right into her eyes. Still, she remained silent despite my disrespect.

My eyes narrowed. I couldn’t have that. Her hidden feelings were driving me mad. It was like a compulsion, something I can’t seem to break out of. I want to know that she’s thinking. I want to know what made her give out such an intense feeling. I want to know.

What is it that you desire so much?

Tell me…

Celestia’s eyes widened and dilated as she stared into mine. I saw her whole body shudder as my words rumbled out from my throat, a growl of something primal. I could feel my eyes change from a partial transformation. The unknown Gene insde me started to beat like a heart, only harder, as if reacting to something. Was it to Celestia, or was it to me? I don’t know.

With my eyes transformed, the [Evil Eye] came in effect. My intent was delivered straight into her mind by eye contact; my want, my desire to know. Celestia could only stare, unable to bring herself to look away. I could see my psionic ability taking effect.

Her mouth moved, but her words came out shakily. “This… is the day that I’ve waited for so long; the day where the love of my subjects would return to me.”

My eyes narrowed in suspicion. “How?

“With the death of Hakumen.”

My brow raised in curiosity, but I didn’t break eye contact. “Explain.

She hesitated for a moment, but that was because her face turned pained before she spoke. “My sister is loved by all. She is the Jewel of Equestria. She brought them peace through their dreams, giving them an escape from the terrifying reality where Hakumen exists.” Her jaw trembled and a single tear fell from her eye. This reason, this secret, it must have been a heavy burden in her heart. “But I had no such power. I could not help them like my sister, I did not have the same control as Luna. Though my magic is great and abundant, greatly dwarfing hers, I did not have her skills.”

A few more drops escaped her eyes and fell down on the stone floor. Finally, she broke eye contact, only to wipe her face of them. I did not stop her, nor did I force her to look at me again. There was no need.

“I could destroy a mountain with ease, burn down acres of land with the same effort, but all of those were useless.” She said. The tears now fell constantly, and she no longer wiped them away. She could only stare at the ground, letting them trail down her face unimpeded. “For all my strength and power, they were all useless against Hakumen. He could cut through my magic, negate my amazing strength and he could kill me just as easily as crushing a bug.”

Yet she lives. I’d heard of the many clashes between the Sun Princess and the White Knight, and the armies that she raised against him. But the end of all those battles were the same. Hakumen would stand on a bloody field, the survivors would cower away from him, and Celestia would look defiant under his presence. But the White Knight would never cut down the princess, no matter how many opportunities he’s had in the past.

“He left me humiliated every time.” Celestia spat at it with a curse. “My subjects, then, began to fear me. They feared that I would call upon them again, for their fathers, brothers and sons; to take up arms and attempt to kill the White Terror. Luna would always, then, be there to sooth their fears, portraying me as the villain and her as their savior.”

“I’m sure that wasn’t what she intended.” I said to her.

“You’re right.” She chuckled bitterly. “It wasn’t. She tried to stop me more than once in my attempts to fight Hakumen, but I didn’t listen. My pride would not let me listen.” Her head raised and she looked back into my eyes. Tears streaked her face, and a bitter smile was on her lips. “I was arrogant. When we were crowned as rulers of Equestria, I made a vow to bring Hakumen to justice. I urged Luna to use the Elements of Harmony with me to seal him, but that was a failure. He knew what they were, and what they were capable of, and he held nothing back for the first time in order to take them from us.”

I could imagine how terrifying that must have been. Hakumen became stronger and faster all of a sudden, becoming an unstoppable force. I remembered the risk that I had to take just to make him stop.

“I did not give up and pressed on. I sacrificed so many lives because I was stubborn, unwilling to stop. I drove my subjects away. It was only because of Luna that I am not outright scorned by them. It was because of her that I still have some form of respect for my station.”

“ Do you hate her for it?” I asked.

“At first I did.” She admitted. “But over time I came to realise and understand what her deeds had done, and I love her for it. I stopped throwing the lives of my ponies at Hakumen, but the jealousy was still there. We both knew it was there. And yet she still loved me.” She wiped her tears away, and the smile on her face was no longer bitter. “It would take over in most days and nights, but the love I felt for my sister would always triumph. It made me bitter and scornful, but I could always stop myself from lashing out. It strained our relationship as siblings, but even then she would still love me. It was I who strains it.”

I looked up to the sky, towards the moon, deep in thought. Celestia looked up as well, a smile was on her face, her eyes seemingly buried in a memory. A song started to play in my heart, a tune that resonates with the beat of the Gene inside me.

My eyes closed as the a cold evening breeze blew, and I savored the feeling. We stood in silence until I felt the song in my mind finish, only then did my eyes open. I’d made a decision.

“Tell me, Celestia,” I began, “ what do you wish? What is it that you desire that fills you with so much anticipation?”

The mare smiled as we looked at the moon. “I wish to help my sister, to free her of a heavy burden. For so long has she soothed the kingdom, for so long has she tried to calm them down. I wish to bring her peace, and happiness. I wish to bring an end to the strain of our relationship, to mend our bonds with each other.”

“And Hakumen?” I inquired.

“He is the obstacle.” Celestia answered. She turned to me with eyes filled with determination. “I wish to put an end to him, of the terror that he brings in his wake. I wish to free our kingdom of the threat that he represents. Will you help me?”

With a flare of my coat, I bent down on a knee. I looked up to her, right hand over my heart. The Gene inside my body thrummed louder, and I finally understood what it wanted. “I will do everything in my power to help you.” I declared. “I will free your sister of her burden, to bring her peace and happiness. I will help you mend your bonds and rid you of the terror that walks this plane.”

Celestia’s chest rose and a beautiful smile stretched upon her lips. Her eyes shone kindness that I’ve never seen before from her. “Thank you.” Her head bowed and her eyes closed in gratitude.

My arms came up and wrapped around her. Her eyes opened wide in surprise before she calmed, closing them again and settling into my embrace.

The song in my heart once again returned, singing along with the Gene inside my body. I felt strength coming to me, coming from her. It began to fill me, and I felt myself grow stronger.

A Wish. The Gene inside my body reacted to a wish. Like my Tokens, activated by a Wish or Desire, it felt like a call. Why is that, I wonder. Why did this new Gene react to it? Why did I feel stronger when I made that promise?

It doesn’t matter. I felt content.

In a world without a home, what am I to do?

Simple. Search for a purpose.

I won’t forget why I came here. I won’t forget why I traveled to a different world. My mission was to become stronger, to learn as many skills as I can. And with this knowledge, the property of my new Gene, I could accomplish that.

I sighed in contentment, my eyes opening slowly. I made a promise, and I would deliver. For Celestia, for this new purpose, I will do everything in my power to grant her wish.

My arms drew the mare closer to my body, holding her tighter. My first task is to rid Luna of her burden. For that, I will begin immediately.

The song in my heart ended, and the Gene in my body returned to its silent beats. I smiled, my lips stretched wide and thin. Then I grinned, broad and feral. The first task would be easy.

[BONEBREAK]

crack