• Published 3rd Aug 2014
  • 12,189 Views, 623 Comments

Calming Sigh-- with a Breath of Fire - Laze Around



[Breath of Fire 3 x MLP] Human becomes his favorite game character and was thrown into Equestria. After escaping Celestia and Luna, he finds out how hard it is to live for so long beyond a human's lifespan.

  • ...
46
 623
 12,189

Lesson Zero: Friendship

It shouldn't be surprising that the very next day Celestia came over to the Sweet Apple Acres to confront me. By confront me, I mean, she shot down from the sky like a meteor and left a small crater on the ground when she landed. If she could have fired lasers from her eyes, I would have had holes in mine after the glare she gave me.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY SISTER!"

The application of the Royal Canterlot Ear-buster sent the apples on every tree within the perimeter into the air just by the sheer volume of the Pony Princess. Luckily, I already had baskets ready at the bottom of each tree. Unfortunately, that did nothing to catch the apples that were blown away.

"And now I have to pick all those up." I sighed in irritation.


"Ah can't believe ya did that!"

I ignored Applejack's outburst as I was too busy scratching my sternum, the spot where Celestia fired off her magic beam on. I was surrounded by sun-butt's loyal Element bearers inside the Apple family's home. Granny Smith was in her rocking chair, knitting her time away. Big Mac was out in the fields again while Apple Bloom had to go to school. In front of me was still the glaring visage of the fat, white Pony Princess.

"What did I do, exactly?" I asked.

Applejack opened her mouth to scold me again, but blinked before looking to her princess. "What did he do, yer Highness?"

"Luna did not say." Celestia said, turning her head to Applejack. "But this morning after her first lessons with Ryu she told me that she was feeling ill and wishes to skip on today's duties, as well as the rest of the week."

"Good for her." I muttered, forcing everyone's attention back to me, with them giving me varying looks on their faces.

"Luna has never skipped on her duties ever since her return." Celestia said, returning her glare to me. "But after last night, she was suspiciously withdrawn after I tried to inquire about her studies."

Applejack groaned, rubbing her hoof on her temple. "Uncle, what did you do?"

"I gave her a lesson in history." I said, removing my hand from my chest as the itch from Celestia's venting finally vanished.

"Ah know ya did more then that." the Apple pony said, pointing her hoof at me. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "Ah know yer kind of humor, Uncle. The family has YOU to blame fer most of our traumas."

"You have to admit, it built their characters." I defended. "It also kept you all straight and narrow."

"Don't change the subject." the pony deadpanned, causing me to raise my hands in surrender. "But on that note: Yer ta blame fer mah reaction to Zecora all those months back. Yer stories about suspicious characters stuck ta me when ah was a filly. Now, what did ya do to Princess Luna?"

"Like I said; I showed her history." I repeated before I started counting off with my fingers. "The Great Divide, The Diamond Dog Colosseum, The Kindling, No Harvest Season -"

"Those were one of the worst events ever recorded in history!" Twilight Sparkle exclaimed in shock.

"Well... yes." I admitted. "Those were the events where I was most active, and had first hand experience in."

"Aha!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "You were the reason for those, weren't you!"

I ignored her and easily shrugged off the pony's accusation. "The Great Divide was when the Griffon Kingdom was split between the Royalty and a Rebel faction. I was having trouble in looking for necessities and went looting between the two of them; The Diamond Dog Colosseum was when I was starting to starve because I neglected my food supply and focused on training. I fell in one of their holes and was forced to fight in order to get food. Years later after I escaped, your ponies found the place and shut it down; The Kindling was the most terrible forest fire in history. Thankfully it was outside Equestria, but unfortunately it destroyed a lot of livelihood and a few of my friends were victims; No Harvest Season was -"

"The worst famine that hit Equestria and its border countries four hundred years ago." Celestia finished.

"The cause was a gigantic swarm of Parasprites that some idiot created through alchemy." I said. The idiot wanted a familiar/lab rat that's easily acquired and easily replaced; thus its multiplying capabilities. "Equestria and the countries around it tried hard to eradicate the pests. Unfortunately, the damage was already done by the time the swarm was destroyed. The crops and food supplies were devoured and there was only a handful of edible stuff in all of the countries left. " My face darkened at the reminder of the event. I had no problem like that in Equestria since the ground was rich with gems, but the other inhabitants of the countries suffered so much in the aftermath.

I was outside of Equestria when it happened, not knowing that it wasn't only on my side of the continent that the crops were being eradicated. News didn't travel my way until later that day, when there was still plenty of stragglers that needed to be destroyed. Even with my AoE spells, it took me three days just helping out a single town. We found out the hard way that leaving even one alive was a bad idea.

I turned my attention back to the ponies present. "I just showed Luna the ones with the greatest impact on Equestria, and the reasons why there were many creatures allied with the country." I said. "The Great Divide was what made the Griffons turn to Equestria for help when their conflict cost them more than they anticipated." My looting went too far, apparently. "The Diamond Dog Colosseum was where different creatures learned to work together in harmony out of necessity. Even the Diamond Dogs, after being freed from their tyrannical, Mutant Alpha Dog became residents of Equestria and helped with mining the rich minerals of the land for trade in other countries." The Alpha somehow dug his way into Tartarus and got infected by its negative atmosphere. The tunnel he used was sealed up by Celestia personally so that the same event never happens again.

I saw from the side that Twilight Sparkle was very enthusiastically nodding her head at my history lesson. She looked very pleased and excited, given the giant grin plastered on her face.

"The Kindling was where the the ponies showed that they were a very important part of the world." I continued. "It showed just how important they are. The unicorns used their magic to replace the burnt trees; The Earth ponies helped the land regain its beauty; and the scheduled rain of the Pegasi was what finished the rehabilitation of the land. The other creatures saw that ponies didn't just help the cycle of night and day, but they also help keep the land in perfect, habitable conditions."

I stopped for a moment as I felt the egos of those in the room swell. However, there was one in the room that didn't feel the same.

I looked at Celestia as I saw how her stance became more tense as I prolonged my silence.

"Why don't you tell us the effects after No Harvest Season," I gestured at one of the ponies in the room. "Twilight Sparkle?"

"Gladly!" the girl exclaimed, her grin growing bigger as she eagerly stepped up to recite the information in her head. "After the swarm was contained-" It was actually destroyed, mostly, as the case was a swarm a few months back. The last of the Parasprites that attacked the town finally met its end in the Everfree when they met me. Hopefully I didn't miss one. "The inhabitants of the land, creatures from all the countries, turned to Princess Celestia for guidance. With her directions, she able to save so many lives and managed to ration the food supplies until agricultural productions were was restored. All manner of creatures banded together with the ponies and helped each other to survive. It was the only point in history where many forms of life mingled in harmony. From that day on, peace has reigned in all of the lands, and many have revered the Princess for her actions."

She recited it as if it came from a holy scripture, or something. After the unicorn finished, I looked at Celestia with a very deep frown. I've only had first hand accounts on everything I know, with a few information given to me by my friends whenever I came by to visit. What Twilight Sparkle just gave me was a very censored version of what I've seen and experienced.

The creatures that were affected turned to Celestia for help, that much was true, but that was because they had no one else to turn to who had to power to help them. Ponies have the magic to command nature itself, so it was no wonder that many turned to them for help. Many creatures were definitely not in harmony from what I've seen. A lot of them fought over on who would get what, and how much of what are better deserved for who. Thousands died from starvation; one of the cruelest ways to meet one's end. Many did not revere Celestia; most of them were terrified of her. She had their lives in her hooves. What better way to keep to her good side than kissing up to her fat flank?

"Was there a pony named Ambitious Dreamer mentioned along with that information, Twilight Sparkle?" I asked the girl. My eyes were still on Celestia when she answered.

"Oh yes!" she piped up excitedly. "A unicorn named Ambitious Dreamer created a spell to help crop production growth. He was one of the most notable figures who helped during No Harvest Season. Unfortunately he disappeared during the peak of his fame and nopony has ever seen him since."

"If I remember correctly," I hummed in thought, tapping my chin as I looked at the Princess in the room. "Wasn't he a student of yours, Celestia?"

Twilight Sparkle turned to her mentor with a starstruck awe reflected in her eyes. Celestia, however, didn't show pride at the accomplishment of her old student. Instead, she looked more sad and depressed at the mention of the old Unicorn's name.

"He was." Celestia said. Her anger towards me upon her arrival seemed to have dwindled away after I explained my intention of showing Luna history's darkest times. Why that was, I could not tell; I was no mind reader, I only base my assumptions through observation.

"Do you still have problems with my teaching methods to Luna, then?" I asked the over-sized mare. "I'd like to call it my 'Light at the End of the tunnel' approach."

"I still do not approve of this teaching method." Celestia stated with a stern look.

"Too bad for you, then." I said. "It's either this or no lessons at all. I have no other methods of teaching her and I've already seen how effective my style is on others."

Celestia straightened her sitting posture in a more regal poise. It didn't impress me any, but the others in the room seem to sit or stand straighter in response. "It was my decision to assign you as the instructor to teach Luna of modern society, as well as the history of the land." she declared. "Even if I have reservations on your methods of doing it, I still believe that you are the right individual to inform her of the crucial happenings since her return."

I nodded in response, satisfied. "Anything else?" I asked.

"None for now." she said. She turned to her student and slipped her motherly mask back in place, easing the tension that was once in the air when she called her. "Please keep an eye on him when you can, Twilight."

She should have asked Applejack for that; it would have been more convenient.

"You can count on me, Princess." the unicorn bowed.

With one final, gracious smile, Celestia lit up her horn and used her Teleportation spell to vanish from the room. Ignoring the chatter that started after the Princess's leave, I stood up from my seat and walked towards the door, pushing Applejack's hat down on her head playfully as I passed her.

I was very dissatisfied by the information that Twilight Sparkle shared to the others. There were many elements that were meant to mislead and others that were outright excluded. From the way Celestia looked, it was either her who had the information deliberately removed, or a pony who wanted to sugarcoat the tragedy that transpired. If it was Celestia, I could understand the act since it was her student, Ambitious Dreamer, who created the Parasprite in the first place.

But then again, I was the reason he disappeared after I learned of the fool's accomplishment.


Days later I found myself, surprisingly, in Fluttershy's home. I was helping her carry a few heavier bags of animal feed from her storage to one of the cabinets. I took care of cleaning the chicken coop while she kept the chickens busy. I even helped her with that devil rodent that she ironically named Angel.

Applejack forced me to make friends with the others after that time with the Rainbow pegasus. Though I would rather stay in the farm and help with the chores, I was rather curious about her other friends. Since this gave me a decent enough excuse to do just so, I took it.

The town still didn't know about me, but Apple Bloom was planning to introduce her close friends in a couple of days during one of their sleepovers. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, from what I've noted in my [Diary], got into a lot of trouble. Some of them dangerous, even. I... have a feeling that I'll be spending more time with them after I reveal myself to the ponies of Ponyville. I can't, in good conscience, just leave them unattended if what I've written wasn't an exaggeration of my recollection of the original show.

Opening the door back inside Fluttershy's home, a little white devil rodent dashed under me just between my feet towards the outside. Following the white blur, probably chasing the damned thing all over the house, was the kindhearted Fluttershy. She had a carrot in her mouth with a bit of its tip chewed off; Angel's, I assume.

Without even stopping my stride inside, I shifted out of the mare's way and made a grasping gesture with my hand towards the outside. There was a squeak of indignation that came from the devil rodent as he found himself suspended slightly off the ground. Fluttershy took this opportunity to catch up to the thrashing bunny and begin her soft scolding on the thing. Her method never really worked on that one.

The mare looked up from the bunny when she noticed that it wasn't listening to her. "Thank you, Ryu."

I nodded back in return before carrying on with my task. I released my telekinetic grip on the bunny before going to one of the closets and returning the bucket I used to carry the fish for the otters outside.

I was slightly surprised of my telekinetic abilities two hundred years after successfully switching myself with my [Aura] to the Princess Duo's petrifying friendship beam. I probably shouldn't have, but I forgot that in the original game the Buffs and Debuffs were considered to be Psionics; Psychic abilities that have positive or negative effects on the body. Not all of the skills in the game were considered as [Magic]. I always wondered how to launch [Mind Sword] without throwing it with my arm. I guess I found out how the original Ryu and his friends were able to propel their magic attacks on their targets.

Years of... well, more like Centuries worth of [Meditation] allowed me to hone my Psychic abilities enough to even perform a [Ragnarok]; pulling giant rocks from space or somewhere else was a very demanding task. Since I focused most of my time with Magic, I've effectively turned myself into an Spellcaster-type character. I can stay in my dragon form for a very long time, and am able to throw high-tier magic attacks as easily as Celestia can move her sun. I'm very proud of that fact. Concerning my physical capabilities, my dragon forms make up for that. They multiply my human form's capabilities by a great amount of percentage, even more than the original Ryu's, since the Genes have matured over the centuries and synchronized with my body perfectly.

Even though I usually place the [Force] gene as the base template of my transformations, it being neither my weakest or most powerful form, I can splice two different genes along with it to enhance its overall capabilities; my limit is three and I don't splice more because of fearing the type of abomination that I might become. I have seven gene templates that add different skills, elements and properties; six others that affect the outcome of the spliced genes; and four more that would overcome my [Force] gene and give me a complete dragon form instead of [Warrior]. I never used three of the four as the last one was the reason the Badlands were a wasteland.

Back then, during my first century of training, whenever I transform into [Warrior], my magic and psychic abilities were locked and unusable; my dragon genes making it difficult to split the Mana that was being used to activate the transformation and use the skills. It took a very long time to get around that handicap, and even now, unless the spell is elementally aligned with my dragon form, most of my offensive magic were locked. Fortunately, I managed to adapt my Psychic skills with my transformation since it also had a minor affinity for it.

Looking back to the open door, I saw Fluttershy carrying the grumpy rodent back inside to resume his meal. This kind of reminded me of how the pegasus reacted when I was first sent to her to be friends with. Sure it was awkward at first since the girl was so shy and I pretty much relished the silence, but the little rodent made the first move to break the ice by jumping off her arms to kick me in the shin. It didn't hurt, but with Fluttershy's torrent of apologies and my reassurances, the little white devil was actually the reason why we eased up around each other. I still didn't like the thing, but that doesn't mean that I don't have some respect towards him for that favor.

It makes me wonder if Angel was just being a pain to Fluttershy to make her more assertive. If so then I may be in the presence of this century's most diabolical entity in all of Equestria.

"Thank you again for coming by to help, Ryu." the shy mare said as she set the bunny down on the couch. "You were very helpful, and the animals all seem to like you well."

"It's not a problem." I said. "I kind of have a bit of appreciation to the little critters. They don't attack like other predators, and they're good company when you have no one else to talk to."

"Oh yes." the mare nodded happily. "They make great conversations."

I gave her a wry smirk as I kept silent about my inability to communicate to the animals like she could. Even though I get what they were trying to say thanks to a few body gestures, I still didn't speak animal. "Of course they do." I said.

"Are you also going with us on the picnic later on?" she asked, taking out a broom from the closet and started sweeping from the corner of the room.

"Applejack said I should." I said, poking a finger inside one of the birdhouses near the ceiling; the one whose feed was left untouched. I gently prodded the inside to wake up its resident, pulling it out soon after I felt something pecking my wiggling finger. "I don't mind you being there, Fluttershy, but I'm still not sure about the others."

I felt something land on my shoulder and saw Fluttershy's hoof resting there. She was giving me one of those motherly smiles that I saw her give to her other animal friends. "It will be fine." she assured me.

My eyes caught hers for a split second before I shifted them away out of habit. Another reason why the girl easily relaxed around me was because of my reluctance to make eye contact unless I wanted something important or wanted their attention. Making eye contact seems to put pressure on the girl, and my reluctance to do so allowed her to approach me easier than she could others. I think she caught on to my dislike for social interaction and brought it upon herself to help me with that.

My lips quirked up a bit in distaste. "I don't know." I said.

"I promise to scold Pinkie for smothering you." she said in confidence.

I snorted in amusement at that. "Of course you will, my shy little mare." I said, patting her on the head. Then my hand slowed before coming to a stop on her hair, raising an inquisitive brow towards the open door. "Uh..."

"Something wrong?" she asked, lifting my hand off to look at my face.

"Is this an attack, or is that a friend of yours?" I asked, turning the hovering pony around to look at the grizzly bear that was out the open door.

"Oh dear!" Fluttershy exclaimed in alarm before flying over the bear. The animal was growling-... no, wait. I think it was groaning.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked, walking over to the two of them. Fluttershy was patting the slouched bear on the shoulder while it had a look of utter misery on its face.

"Harry has a bad back." Fluttershy said. "He came here for help."

"[Bad Back]?" I asked, uncertain. There was actually a skill in my [Diary] with that name. Stupidly enough, I used that skill to skip one of the reunions with my friends during his family's get-together. Dumber, even, is that it worked. "Do you need assistance?"

"Oh no, it's fine." she assured with a smile before turning back to the bear. "Come now, Harry, let's move to the backyard. We'll have more room to fix you there."

I followed the two out, shutting the door behind me, looking at how the mare escorted the bear around the house. "I'm done with the chores, Fluttershy." I told her just as we were about to part ways. "I'm going back to the farm to get Applejack for the picnic."

"Okay, Ryu, take care." she said.

Walking away from the house, I was just about to dive into the deep shade of one of the trees when something tackled me from the side. I gave a grunt of annoyance as I kept myself from toppling over. I already saw her coming, that's why I walked away from the house. I thought she was looking for Fluttershy, but apparently I was wrong.

"Hello Ryu! I didn't see you there!"

I'm sure it was hard to miss the single human in a fifty foot wide clearing, and that pouncing on them was considered to be a normal, unintended bump. "Hello, Twilight Sparkle." I greeted the mare miserably. "Can I help you?"

"No, but I can help you!" she cheered happily. She didn't seem to have brushed her mane this morning, I noticed. There were a few loose strands sticking out of her normally flat hairstyle.

A wave of déjà vu washed over me, but I shook it off. "I don't need any assistance at the moment." I told the girl. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to head back to the farm."

"But you still need help in making friends." the girl insisted. "You still haven't accepted Pinkie's party yet, or Rarity's offer to make you clothes, and you're still fighting with Rainbow Dash."

I leaned away from the mare as she came closer and closer the more she talked. I found the spark that she had in her eyes to be more unsettling than usual. What's gotten into her? "I'll work on that eventually." I said.

Wrapping the mare in my own, invisible, telekinetic grip, I turned her around before allowing the shadows of the tree to consume me. I heard her exclamations on the other side of the shadow dimension, but ignored them and quickly swam in the colorless world towards the shadows of the Sweet Apple Acres. I kept my eyes straight, with the other world inside my peripherals, ignoring the maddening void that was beneath me, the vast darkness like the deep abyss within the ocean's floor.

I never dared to venture deeper than the surface of the shadow realm. My sanity was already thin enough; no need to break that fragile thread because of stupid curiosity.


A little while later, Applejack and her friends all gathered in a flowery meadow just outside of Ponyville. Applejack dragged me, figuratively speaking, to the picnic. As per usual, given my dislike for social gatherings, especially gatherings with a few individuals that I dislike or can't get along with, I tried feebly to excuse myself from the event. My little farm pony, however, was having none of it. Even though I wanted to start on the new barn that she wanted, she was still insistent on me getting along with her friends.

Fluttershy was the first to reach the designated area as her house was closest to the spot. Applejack and I came in next, with Rarity and Rainbow Dash following. Pinkie Pie was just over the hill, bouncing her way towards us.

Untying my [Inventory] pouch from my belt, I dipped my arm inside and pulled out the picnic cloth that Applejack gave to me. Setting it down on the grass, I started pulling out the other things that Applejack had me take for the picnic.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Rarity eyeing my pouch with a bit of wonder. "That certainly is a convenient thing to have, dear." she said, gently setting down the basket she brought with her telekinetic grip.

"Ah'll say." Applejack agreed. "It made deliverin' supplies to Appaloosa a cake walk."

"Speaking of," I said. "How were they when you visited them, AJ? Last I heard they were having problems with the natives."

"Already taken care of." she said. "Braeburn and the other Apples are having the Buffalo stampede in a path they made in the middle of the orchards. Their thunderin' hooves help shake off the apples near the path."

"Huh." I grunted in response. "I guess that's one place of the family I won't have to worry for a while."

"Still." Rarity spoke up. "Wherever did you find that wonderful artifact." she asked, pointing her hoof at my pouch.

I opened my mouth to say something without answering the mare, but Applejack beat me to it with a quick, "He made it."

I gave the orange pony a chiding look. That was something that I didn't want others finding out. The only ones who knew about my pouch were close friends and families. "Applejack, you really need to start learning how to omit some truth in the things you say."

While Applejack gave no response to my remark, Rarity held her hoof by her mouth in surprise. "Oh my. If Twilight hears about that then the girl will never leave you alone."

"More than she already does!" Rainbow Dash commented with a guffaw.

After that day when Celestia asked Twilight to keep an eye on me, she was usually over the farm every day. The mare was asking a lot of questions pertaining Equestrian history, forcing me to recall things that I really wished to stay buried in my subconscious.. My answers were quick and straight to the point, but there were some things that I couldn't answer because I wasn't there during the event. Even though I wanted to chuck the mare back to Ponyville from where I stood in the farm after the second day, Applejack got the idea of spending my time with her friends from Twilight Sparkle.

The good news was that the purple mare's time with me were shortened. The bad news for me was that I had to interact with the rest of Applejack's friends instead, even Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy was the easiest to befriend, with Miss Rarity close to second because of her good manners; Pinkie Pie was a little too overbearing, just as I predicted; Twilight Sparkle treated me like a lab specimen; and I still haven't made friends with Rainbow Dash.

I rolled my eyes as they playfully laughed at me expense. "Maybe." I said. "It'll be even worse if she finds out that it was originally based on the notes that Starswirl gave to me."

At that, they completely went silent. All eyes were on me, with Applejack even looking surprised.

"You know Starswirl the Bearded, Uncle?" Applejack asked.

"I lived a very, very long time. I got the notes from him personally." I answered. Since they already knew about the pouch, I might as well blow their minds with another fact. "He was a great guy. A little eccentric, but still great."

A stray breeze blew by. I watched as how a little butterfly got swept along as more silence descended in the clearing. I went ahead and finished up on the picnic items on the cloth before sitting down in the shade of the closest tree. It took that long for someone to finally regain voice function.

"Ah don't think Twilight should know about this." Applejack spoke up. "Who knows what she'll do."

"Agreed." the other affirmed. I did not like the look Rainbow Dash's face.

They answered just in time to see Pinkie finally reaching our spot. "Hi girls!" she greeted before looking over to me. "Hi, Ryu!"

Everyone gave their own greetings before going back to their business. Applejack went ahead and started talking to Fluttershy, asking about her day with me. Rainbow Dash pulled out some sunscreen and a pair of shades, making me question in my head why ponies do that when they don't even tan. Pinkie Pie seemed to have brought balloons for the picnic, then watched as the inflated rubbers floated her basket to the sky. She looked like she was having fun as she watched it go.

My attention was mostly in the snow-colored mare with the stylishly curled mane. She was frantically digging inside the basket that she brought, panicking about something that she forgot, before declaring that, "It was the Worst. Possible. Thing!"

I had to blink a few times in confusion when she telekinetically pulled out a fainting couch from a nearby bush.

Ignoring the following conversation, I eased under the shade and closed my eyes for a quick nap. But I wasn't even able to let my mind drift off when I started hearing one of the girls yelling. Something about 'Tardy'. Another memory started to scrape the corners of my mind, but for some reason I can't get a good read of it.

Just then, I felt a weight settle on my belly, making me grunt in surprise. Looking up, I came face-to-face with a disheveled and manic looking Twilight Sparkle. The crazed look in her eyes almost made me hit her face out of reflex.

"Ryu!" she greeted to my face. "You're a problematic individual, there must be something I can do to help you!"

I resent that statement. But I kept my silence since that wasn't a wrong way to describe the kind of person I am.

I placed a finger on the mare's snout to keep her there while I leaned away what I could from her. Picking her up and setting her down beside me, I dipped my hand inside my pouch and pulled out a brush. The paternal instincts pounded into me during my days in taking care of the kids while they were young started to act up as I saw her state.

"What's wrong?" I asked kindly as I raised her chin up to face me before I started brushing her hair in place. "You look like someone who's on the brink of a mental breakdown."

"I haven't written a letter for Princess Celestia this week." she told me, keeping her head tilted up as I brushed her fringes. "If I don't send one in time, I'll be tardy! What do I do?! I've never been tardy in all my life! This has never happened to me before!"

I hummed and nodded in response, shifting her to the side so that I could to brush the hair on her nape. "And this is important, because?" I asked.

"You don't understand!" she said, throwing her hooves up in the air. "Princess Celestia sent me here to learn about friendship, and gave me the task of writing what I've learned every week! If I don't send it on time, she'll think that I don't take my lessons seriously and send me back!"

"Send you back, you say?" I asked.

"Yes!" she exclaimed.

"Do you mean to tell me that she expects problems with your friendship with the others here? And that if you somehow don't find a way to overcome it she'll take you away from your friends? Has Celestia really turned so cruel?" I asked evenly before levitating the brush to start with her tail.

"What? No!" she said, turning her head sharply to me. "That's not it!"

"Then tell me." I said, reaching up to her head and started to give her a few soothing brushes with my hand.

"She- She-... The Princess just wants to know if I'm taking my lessons seriously!" she repeated when nothing seems to come in her mind to say. I saw that my treatment was slowly showing its effect. "She wants to make sure that I haven't been slacking off."

"And how many times have you slacked off in your studies, Twilight Sparkle." I asked slowly.

"Never!" she looked at me, aghast. "I always take my studies seriously!"

"And Celestia knows this?" I asked.

"Of Course!"

"Then why do you make Celestia seem so cruel and unforgiving?" I asked her solemnly. "Has she done anything before to make you doubt her?"

"No! Of course not!" the girl exclaimed, jumping to her hooves in her Princess's defense. "The Princess has done nothing to make me doubt her!"

"I see." I muttered as I prolonged eye-contact. I leaned back on the tree where I failed to take a nap under, and stretched the silence further by retracting any further questions.

I noted, with some irritation, that my interaction with Twilight Sparkle seems to have become the highlight of the picnic. The other girls were giving their focused attention on us and seemed to have neglected the picnic altogether.

Looking back to the purple unicorn, I saw that her stern face never changed. The brush had already finished its job and I made it return to me, where I dropped it back into my pouch. Her earlier signs of anxiety were absent now that I've focused the girl's ire on me instead.

"Have you calmed down?" I asked.

She opened her mouth to speak, but hesitated for a moment. She made a thoughtful expression before looking back to me, nodding her head with a bit of uncertainty. "I-... yes. I think I have."

"Good. Now," I began, gesturing for her to take a seat. "Let's talk about this again, only this time without the near catatonic state."

"Sorry." she apologized before taking taking a seat on the grass in front of me.

"You need to send a letter to Celestia." I repeated her earlier statement. "But you haven't encountered any friendship problems this week, thus your lack of report."

"That's right." she nodded.

I can already see what at least counted as a 'Friendship Problem' right in front of me. I tapped my temple in thought, looking at her curiously. "Tell me, Twilight Sparkle, do you really expect problems to come to your friendship every week?" I asked.

"Well, yes," she answered. "Given that I've managed to keep my letters by schedule until today. "

Right. I almost forgot that she valued her studies more than she did social interactions, thus not knowing that what she said was a bit abnormal. The mare was very dedicated, and made it her duty to be the very best student to what she sees as the very best teacher: Celestia. It was a privilage that was only given to a few handful of ponies who had great potential. Though, all of them were unicorns given that, I suspect, Celestia was secretly racist.

But that's just me and my pettiness.

"Sparkle." I began to explain. "Friendship isn't something that one can write a problem about every week. I won't deny that during the beginnings of it there will be many complications and maybe a few misunderstandings. But after some time you learn and pass hurdles to become closer to your friends. That entails lesser complications and fewer misunderstandings. Meaning that fewer problems mean better friendship while more problems mean more effort must be put in to strengthen that friendship."

"You mean like you and Rainbow Dash?" she asked with a thoughtful look on her face.

I had to resist the urge to bite off my tongue, but nodded nonetheless. "Yes." I nodded, barely managing to hold a hiss. "Some friendships start that way. But the more they interact, either good or bad, they bond like that. An example would be rivals. Though they compete against each other, there is no malicious intent but only friendly competition. That's how they bond."

"Like Applejack and Rainbow Dash." she nodded in a bit of understanding.

"Yes. Like them." I nodded. "There are many aspects of friendships that you don't know, Twilight Sparkle. You've only seen a few of them." A few that began from the brighter side of first impressions. "You should be proud that you don't have to send a letter to Celestia. It just means that you're making great progress in you friendship." I waved my hand over to where the other girls were. Twilight Sparkle followed the gesture and saw that her friends were smiling at her. "The more you spend time with them the closer you all will be. And before you know it, you'll have a bond that nothing in this world will be able to break."

The mare smiled softly as she looked at the others. "Like you and Applejack."

I nodded. "Like me and my surrogate family." I frowned when I heard the telltale sign of flapping wings. I looked up to the sky to see a white blot coming in to the clearing. I saw a few flashes of gold and the flowing hair and knew exactly who the incoming pony was. I clicked my tongue in irritation before going back to address the purple pony. "There are also those who you call bad friends; friends that you don't like but have no choice but endure their presence."

Everypony also started to hear the beat of the wings and looked up to see who it was. Twilight Sparkle gave an audible gulp, her ear laying flat on her head. "Like you and the Princess?"

I nodded my head. "Like me and her." At least the girl is learning. I wonder how Celestia will react if I start corrupting her student. Luna certainly made entertaining reactions during our dream lessons.


Author's Note:

I really don't like this chapter very much, but I kind of need it to build Ryu's character. It's pretty forced, I admit, but nothing else seems to come to mind. Everything that I've thought of before just ended up turning him into a Gary Stu. :facehoof:

Anyway. I think that you all noticed that I started placing Dragon Tears as my line breaks. If you don't know what they are, they were used in Breath of Fire 2 (I think) as a way on how someone feels about your character. Here though, I use it to show how Ryu feels about others. Here's what they mean.

= Murderous Intent (Violet)

= Hate (Magenta)

= Dislike (Orange)

= Neutral (Yellow)

= Fondness (Green)

=Loyalty (Blue)

= Absolute Devotion (Rainbow)

Edit: A little Extra.