• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 511 Views, 3 Comments

Shy Beginnings - Coopa_Troopa



A young Fluttershy discovers the magic of friendship on her own

  • ...
 3
 511

Chapter 2

As Fluttershy entered the room she felt a little better. All the other fillies in her class were almost as shy as she was now. Her mother was right, no one knew anyone. Fluttershy flew over to the empty desk that sat in the back of the room and looked sheepishly looked around the room. She looked at the many posters that hung on the walls; the colorful pictures calmed her down. The young filly didn’t know what to do with herself before the class started so she did what she always did, hide behind her hair and stare down. She eavesdropped on the other fillies introducing themselves to each other and thought to herself, I can use what they’re talking about to introduce myself. She looked up and took a breath and just as she was about to say something the teacher walked in.

“Hello class,” she introduced, “my name is Sky Hopper, but you can just call me Ms. Hopper.” Fluttershy let out a little squeak as she exhaled her breath and looked back down at her desk. The class went on and the teacher didn’t let the class have much time to talk with each other, as she was too busy introducing what the class would entail for the year.

Finally at lunchtime the young ponies had some time to get more acquainted with each other. The lunchroom filled with the sounds of fillies laughing and talking. Fluttershy became overwhelmed with the amount of people in the crowd. Her thoughts shifted from “who should I make friends with,” to “how am I going to find a friend in this crowd.” Fluttershy flew over to the corner table with the lunch she and her mother had packed that morning and ate by herself. She reassured that maybe another pony would come over and talk to her, maybe she wouldn’t even have to make an effort.

Unfortunately the lunch period went by and no one had come up to talk to her even during free fly time she spent her time laying on a cloud while the other fillies played their games. She just watched them flying through the hoops and showing off their abilities. One particular pony particularly mesmerized Fluttershy. She was cyan with a rainbow colored mane but she would never be able to be friends with such a majestic looking pony. The rainbow maned pony had a little trouble flying but it was mainly due to the fact that she was too busy trying to fly faster than any other pony at the school. Near the end of the period Fluttershy noticed a group of foals surrounding another pony. She couldn’t hear what they were saying but Fluttershy knew they were mocking her about something. Luckily one of the other teachers came over and broke it up before something bad happened. From her cloud Fluttershy saw the teacher walk back in the building with the darker colored filly who was obviously crying.

Fluttershy wondered who it could have been. Most pegasi are brighter and softer colored and she was sure she would have remembered someone who looked so odd. Shortly after she saw the two disappear inside the cloud building the teachers called everyone inside. The day was over and Fluttershy hadn’t made any progress in making any friends. As soon as the doors opened to the front of the school all of the young ponies flew out to see their parents to tell them about their day. Fluttershy lazed behind all of them, even though she wanted to fly right into the comfort of her mother she also wanted to look for the dark colored filly she saw earlier but there was no sign of her anywhere. She flew slowly to her mother still scanning the large crowd of ponies.

“How was your first day of flight school hun?” her mother asked as her daughter slowly approached her, “Did you make any new friends today.” Fluttershy was still too focused on the crowd and barely heard her mother.

“Fluttershy?” her mother asked curiously.

“Huh? Oh…umm…I don’t think so.” Fluttershy responded. Puzzled by the response Fluttershy’s mother simply took her daughter under her wing and turned toward home.

The sight of a dark colored pony boggled Fluttershy’s mind. “I mean it’s not possible for an earth pony to be in Cloudsdale,” she muttered under her breath, “they can’t stand up here.”

“What was that, Shy?” her mother asked. In Fluttershy's deep thought she hadn’t noticed her mother had asked her a question.

“Oh, I'm sorry what did you ask me?” she responded.

Her mother gave her a look and asked, “What has you so distracted today.”

Fluttershy didn’t know how to respond and she didn’t want to explain the pony she saw as her friend. She simply responded with, “Umm…nothing, I just didn’t hear you.”

Her mother rolled her eyes and the two continued on their way home.

Later that night as Fluttershy laid in her bed the thought of the other filly and how she had not seen her around Cloudsdale before took over her thoughts and continued until her mind forced her into a deep sleep. The next morning Fluttershy awoke to the feeling of her mother nuzzling up against her.

“Rise and shine my little Fluttershy,” her mother whispered softly, “Celestia already raised the sun.”

“I’m sorry mommy, I had a lot on my mind last night,” she replied groggily, “I guess I just stayed up too late.”

Fluttershy’s mother grew more and more curious about her daughter. She never obsessed about anything this much before but she knew not to press things with her daughter. If she wanted to tell her mother something then eventually she would tell her. The two’s morning went on like the morning before and Fluttershy went off to school. She didn’t see the dark Pegasus from the playground at all that day.

Weeks went by and Fluttershy had almost completely forgotten about her. “Could I have made her up?” she thought to herself as she flew home with her mother after school one day. “I guess it would make more sense than a dark Pegasus.”

Comments ( 2 )

sorry it is taking so long with the updates. i had finals :applejackunsure: but now i can continue. i hope to have the story finished in june but july at the latest :pinkiehappy:

Awesome chapter! keep up the good work! :heart::heart:

Login or register to comment