• Published 13th Jul 2014
  • 2,657 Views, 89 Comments

The Evolution of Harmony - Thornwing



Far in the west, an old evil has awoken. Twilight must discover the truth about the past in order to save what remains of her future.

  • ...
7
 89
 2,657

Chapter Four - Rainbow Falls

“All right! Let’s get out there and give that Smooze a taste of Rainbow Power!” The excitement had built up over the course of the night, and Rainbow Dash couldn’t contain herself any longer. She somersaulted into a backflip kick before punching out a quick right hook followed by a southpaw uppercut toward her invisible foe.

The gang congregated in the throne room, waiting for Celestia and Twilight to arrive. The weight of the mission hung over them all like a blacksmith hammer waiting to strike an anvil. Last-minute preparations were underway as those who actually came prepared checked over their gear. Pinkie shimmied under the strap of her partially lightened bags. Fluttershy stowed her sketchbook and debated putting on her sweater. Rarity combed through her mane and adjusted her traveling cloak so that it laid properly against her neck and down her back. Applejack nervously paced back and forth, toting her load of apples.

“Good morning, my little ponies.” Celestia’s greeting rang through the hall. “I trust you all had a restful sleep?” She walked briskly toward the throne with Twilight following closely behind. Once seated, she faced the group.

Twilight hung back with her friends. Looking around, she nodded her head. “It won’t be easy, girls, but I know we can do this. The Princess is counting on us.”

“I can’t think of any ponies I trust more to handle this dangerous assignment.” Celestia bowed her head. “I wish I could go with you, but I am needed here. My sister is still recovering from her close encounter and if anything, she has proven that Alicorn magic has little effect on the Smooze. I must leave this mission to you and take comfort in knowing that the Elements themselves will guide you on your quest.”

“Wait a minute. Did I miss something?” Applejack tipped her hat and crossed glances at both Celestia and Twilight. “When did we get directions all mapped out?”

Twilight chuckled. “It was right under my nose the entire time. The map to the old country is drawn in the back of the story book. I’ve been flying to Dream Valley every night for the past week and didn’t even know it.”

“I took the liberty of having the Royal Cartographer create a copy so you could take it with you,” Celestia added. “A full-detail map of Equestria only goes so far as Rainbow Falls. Once you reach the other side of the mountains, however, you may find that a map will do you little good. The old country is a wild and dangerous place where no pony has safely ventured since the time of the Great Migration.”

“Let’s get a move on then.” Rainbow Dash zipped from pillar to post. “All this talking isn’t getting us there any faster.”

“Calm down, Rainbow.” Twilight glared up at her. “The train won’t leave without us.”

Rainbow Dash snaked her neck back and forth. “Uhgh. Why do we have to ride the stupid train? Wouldn’t it be faster to just fly?”

Pinkie’s hoof shot up in the air. “Ohhh, ohhh—will you pull my chariot? I want to fly super fast!”

Applejack planted a hoof in her own forehead.

“We’re going to stick together, Rainbow. The success of the mission depends on it.” Twilight turned back to face Celestia. “You can count on us, Princess. We won’t let you down.”

“Spoken like a true leader.” Celestia smiled and bowed her head. “May the light of the sun and the moon shine through the darkness and illuminate the path ahead. Now hurry, my little ponies, destiny awaits.”


The train rolled steadily down the tracks, wet under a light rain. Twilight stared out the window as she contemplated her latest vision—the one she hadn’t told her friends about yet. In the short time she spent with Celestia, she had come to understand the importance of her task. What she didn’t understand was why the vision had come to her in the first place.

Last night, her flight continued. In a completely different direction than before, she soared out over the Everfree Forest. Hovering above the Castle of the Two Sisters, she heard the mysterious voice whisper softly on the breeze. Trust in your friends—the words echoed in her head even now.

Celestia was quick to help her analyze the new information and concluded that the Elements were key to defeating the Smooze. Noting the failure of the Rainbow Power from the story, the next logical conclusion came that the Bearers of Harmony would bridge the gap in place of the fictitious Flutter Ponies. Twilight, having nothing else to go on, agreed with her assessment. Watching out the window as the meadows gave way to hills building toward their destination, the train drew closer to the mountain town of Rainbow Falls. Once she scaled the pass above and dropped into the old country beyond, she would find out just how accurate that assessment was.

Twilight flopped back into her seat as Rainbow Dash’s reflection appeared over her shoulder. She smoothed out the map which she still held, nearly forgotten in her daydream. “According to the map, Rainbow Falls is right on the edge of what used to be called The Black Mountains. The Shadow Forest is on the other side.” Party trivia in any other situation, the details needed to be shared given the relevance to their mission.

“It’s also right on the edge of Equestria,” Rainbow Dash added with a flip of her hoof. A golden horseshoe showed in prominent contrast against her pale blue coat. “I don’t know of a single pony, or griffon for that matter, that’s ever tried to fly over those huge peaks west of town. It’s just too high! The air’s too thin, and your wings would freeze solid in seconds.”

“Then I guess we’ll be the first to see what’s become of Dream Valley—at least, the first in over two thousand years, if what Celestia says about our pony ancestors is true.” Twilight looked out the window taking in the sight of the great mountain peaks towering above the village on the cliff ahead.

Rainbow Dash joined her by the glass. “Do you think the Smooze made them leave?”

“I’m not sure what I think, Rainbow. Up until yesterday, I didn’t even know this creature was real.” Twilight folded up the map and pushed it back into her pack tucked beneath her seat. “Going off tradition, the Windigoes were what drove our ancestors out. It’s why we celebrate the events of Hearth’s Warming Eve. Maybe the Smooze started the division that led up to the Great Migration. I can’t say for certain, but I sure can empathize with the loss of their home—it’s a pretty big deal.”

“That makes sense.” Rainbow Dash sat back in the seat opposite Twilight. “Any idea what we’re supposed to do once we get there?”

Twilight shrugged her shoulders. “I guess we can try using our Rainbow Power, but I’m not sure if that will work. The book says the Rainbow of Light was practically useless in the original struggle. I asked, and Celestia told me that we don’t need the necklaces from the Tree of Harmony to call on the Elements of Harmony anymore. She said ‘the spark of the Elements resides in each one of us’, but I don’t even know if I understand what that means. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens. I’m not really sure we have another option.”

“Sounds like my kind of plan.” Rainbow Dash smiled awkwardly. “We’ll figure it out when we get there.”

“Somehow I don’t think it’s going to be that easy.” Twilight returned the smile and settled down into her seat. Sunlight flickered through the window as the train climbed the hill and passed through a series of winding tunnels. The flashing light drew her back into the nightmare where Luna’s attack only served to enrage the beast. We might not make it home.


A little before dusk, the train pulled into the Rainbow Falls station. Arriving to the end of the line, the girls unloaded themselves and their packs from the passenger car. Two fidgeting ponies met them on the platform—the Mayor of Rainbow Falls and her assistant.

“Princess Twilight, how wonderful to see you again.” The Mayor extended a hoof in welcome. “I received word from Princess Celestia that you would be joining us today. How wonderful to receive a visit from our newest princess—even on such short notice.”

“Thank you for the welcome, Miss Mayor,” Twilight replied. “I only wish it could be under better circumstances. We’re just getting started on our journey and this is only as far as the train could take us.”

“What do you mean, Princess? This is as far as the train can take you… Right here’s as far as you’d ever need to go.” The mayor cocked her head to the side and glanced over at her assistant. The younger pony just shrugged her shoulders.

“Unfortunately, that’s not quite accurate.” Twilight raised her sights and pointed to the looming peaks hovering above the town. “Our destination is on the other side of those mountains. We’re traveling to the old country.”

“Are you certain, Princess? No pony has traveled beyond the western border of Equestria in as long as I can remember—at least no pony who has ever returned to tell the tale.” The mayor bit her lip and gingerly raised a hoof to her cheek.

“No problem, Miss Mayor,” Rainbow Dash interjected. “We’ll find a way to fly over those peaks and make it to the other side and back in no time.”

“I’m afraid that just isn’t possible, Miss Dash.” The Mayor tried to suppress a chuckle. “The wind shear from those cliffs and canyons is much too great—that is, if you don’t pass out or freeze to death from the altitude. I would have thought a Pegasus of your renown would have known that already.” The scowl she received from Rainbow Dash made her rethink her remark. “I’m afraid there is only one way to cross over the mountain—the King’s Road.”

“Hold up there.” Applejack stepped forward. “Did you just say what I think you said?”

“What do you mean?” the Mayor asked.

“You said, ‘the King’s Road’—correct?” Twilight asked.

“Yes,” the Mayor confirmed, “that’s exactly what I said. The path starts right over there at that cave.” She raised a foreleg and pointed over at the cliff face.

Fluttershy spoke up and asked, “Why exactly do you call it the King’s Road, Miss Mayor?”

“No one really knows for sure,” the Mayor replied. “It’s just what we’ve always called it. No one ever uses it. The fact is, there’s nothing on the other side we care to see. Once, a young colt took up a dare to travel up the pass as far as he could. He came galloping back down before he got more than a hundred yards past that sign. We have a number of local tales to share, all more fantastical than the last. I’m sure you’d have little trouble finding somepony to regale you about the numerous monsters that are said to dwell on the mountain as well. Superstitious nonsense, if you ask me, but it keeps ponies from venturing over the pass and makes for an excellent boost in tourism revenue.”

Twilight stared over toward the cave and squinted to read the words on a small signpost hung at an odd angle just outside the opening. It read: BEWARE—King’s Road—DO NOT ENTER!

With some relief, Twilight said, “Well girls, I think we’ve found the trail. Let’s get some rest and put our things in order so we can get a nice, early start tomorrow morning.”

“I’ve made arrangements for your stay at the Cliff Lodge Inn.” The Mayor turned and motioned aside to her assistant. She smiled back over her shoulder. “Follow me, Your Highness, and we’ll get you and your friends situated.”

Her assistant galloped on ahead.

Gathering up their packs once again, the group headed off into town. The scattered rain had cleared, but a seedy mist still blanketed the village as a hundred lovely rainbows arched across the sky above. With the easy part of their journey behind them, Twilight took comfort in having the foresight to reshoe in fixed gold hoofwear before they left. The diversion to the farrier’s shop in Canterlot may have cost them most of the morning, but there would be a lot of walking from this point on, and they could do without a lot of needless wear and tear on their delicate hooves.


Accommodations in the mountainside village weren’t hard to come by for a princess. For the common pony, a stay at the Cliff Lodge Inn meant reservations months in advance. The local tourism industry kept up a steady year-round business, and with that kind of waiting list, it had to be good. With the recent qualifying events for the Equestria Games and the ongoing Trader’s Exchange, comings and goings had picked up dramatically in Rainbow Falls.

“I tell ya, it just ain’t true.” Applejack tipped her hat and rocked back in her chair. The gathering of locals and tourists alike drew all the attention of the lodge to the visiting royal gallery. A hearty debate on the reality of the local fiction raged on.

“I seen it plain as day,” a crusty old local sneered across the table.

“Ain’t no such thing.” Applejack slapped her cider mug on the table. “Chupacabra’s don’t exist—same with The Olden Pony and the Pony of Shadows. Chimeras on the other hoof… those are real, just not from around here.”

“Then how about the dragon that lives on the mountaintop?” The rumors were flying fast and furious. To ensure the continued tourism interest, the locals kept pushing the idea that there was always more to see, even if they had to make it up as they went. The pony tales grew with each retelling, and Twilight’s group was getting an earful.

“Too cold. Dragons can’t handle the snow.” Applejack was shooting them down as quick as they came. “Plus, there’d be a ring of smoke around the peak plain as day.”

A mare in the back poked her head over the crowd. “I’ve seen a yeti on the mountain!”

“Doubt they’d come this far south, ma’am.” Applejack took another swig of her drink. “Yeti population likes to stay up north around the Crystal Empire.”

The merchants sat at odds with Applejack while the tourists drank in the drama. There seemed to be a lot happening in Rainbow Falls, but the truth wasn’t high on the list of attractions. Luckily, Applejack was there to debunk the local myth machine separating fact from fiction.

The Mayor sat in the far corner of the room nervously discussing with her assistant the impact the back-and-forth would have on her small town’s economy. Twilight had already had her fill of dragons, trolls, and practically every other threat known to ponykind all wrapped up in a local twist. While actively trying to ignore the main conversation, she could plainly hear every word they spoke. She excused herself from the larger group and made her way over to the pair. The tall tales only added to Twilight’s stress and she wanted to maintain focus on her mission, but the politics of the matter required some royal attention.

Catching sight of the Princess, the Mayor quickly changed her tune and re-plastered her fake smile across her face. “Princess Twilight, I just want to say how pleased we are that you decided to stop by today. Should we plan for an extended stay, or will you be leaving soon?” Her assistant bit her lip and tried to avoid eye contact while hiding behind her notebook.

Twilight cut right to the point. “You all know what you’re selling is a lie. Rainbow Falls is a wonderful place and you’re going about this business all wrong.”

The Mayor’s jaw slacked, and her reply got stuck in her throat.

“Look, I don’t have time to deal with this right now, and my friends and I will be leaving first thing in the morning.” Twilight brought a hoof to her mouth suppressing a yawn. “How about you try and figure things out by the time we get back, and we both forget today ever happened?”

The Mayor weakly nodded. Her assistant lowered her notes and replied, “Yes, Your Highness.”

Twilight tipped her head in a parting gesture and made for the stairs. It was late and she wanted to get an early start. The main debate had settled to a dull roar, but still had a while to go before it burnt out for the night. Slipping deftly from the common room, she climbed the steps to the guest floor and sought out the quiet of her royal suite.

The wooden sign on the door swung freely on an interchangeable nail. This royal suite probably exchanged duties with the honeymoon hideaway or the anniversary apartment whenever the occasion called for it. Regardless, the bed looked solid and the view didn’t matter. All Twilight wanted was a few hours to rest up before she had to face the task ahead.

Sleep was a luxury; she paid a hefty ransom for the chance. Lying in bed, soaring through her unrelenting vision once again, Twilight focused in on the voice. Trust in your friends.

She tried to answer back, “I do. I trust my friends completely.”

The conversation stalled. The other side replied with the same cryptic response. Trust in your friends.

“Worry not.”

Twilight turned in the direction of the latest voice.

Luna swooped up behind. “My apologies for meeting thee here once again. I would normally ask thy permission—”

“Princess Luna!” Twilight let out a sigh of relief. “I’m so glad to see a familiar face. Are you the one that’s been calling to me in my dream?”

“No. It is not I who calls to thee.” Luna’s mane blocked the glow from the moon behind. “I hear the voice as well and am curious as to the source.”

“Do you think it could be the Elements of Harmony? Is that even possible?” Twilight chewed on the idea. Celestia thought it might be possible for the Elements to display some form of sentience.

“I cannot say for certain.” Luna shook her head. “The voice is familiar, but I fail to place it.” She looked up and smiled. “I want thee to know that I trust in thee and thy friends. The night can be a lonely time, but the stars glow brightest when beset by darkness. Take courage, Twilight Sparkle! Thy friends stand by thee and give thee reason to shine.”

“Thank you, Princess.” Twilight waved as the world around her faded back to black.


The next morning, the ponies woke, rested and ready for their journey ahead. Applejack sorted out the apple rations and distributed them around the group. Pinkie declined hers, saying that she was all taken care of. They donned their cloaks, made sure their new horseshoes were all tight to the hoof, saddled up their packs, and headed toward the cave that marked the head of the King’s Road.

The early sun peeked through the morning fog. Only the Mayor and her assistant came to see them off while the rest of the town availed themselves of another hour to sleep. Twilight took the officials aside to share a few parting words.

“Thank you for your hospitality,” Twilight said. “I really do appreciate it.”

“You’re… welcome,” the Mayor replied.

“Please don’t think I’m mad.” Twilight gave a little smile. “I understand ponies are trying to make a living. All I ask is that you do it in an honest way. Sell anything you like, just don’t lie about what it is you are selling.”

“I-I don’t know if I can do that, Princess.” The Mayor lowered her head. “I know it’s wrong, but it’s hard to stand up to some ponies, even with the truth.”

“Then you let me know if you have any trouble,” Twilight said as she spread out her wings. Reining herself back in with a giggle, she added, “I’ll be sure and send Applejack to take care of them.”

The Mayor smiled. “I’ll do my best, but if you don’t make it back—”

“We’ll be back. I promise.” Twilight bowed her head and the pair did the same. Her promise may have well been another lie, but it gave her a small piece of assurance that if the Mayor could hold up her end of the deal, she would find a way to keep hers. Rejoining the others, she waved a final goodbye and turned to enter the cave. The Mayor and her assistant waved nervously as the group embarked.

Plunging into the darkness as they made their way into the cave, Twilight fired up her horn so they had some light to help guide their steps. After a few hundred yards, the passage opened up to a narrow trail that continued on up the mountainside. She led the way, followed closely by Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity. Applejack and Pinkie Pie trailed behind.

The ponies huffed and puffed as they plodded along, climbing higher and higher into the pass and the ever thinning atmosphere. The green grass and brightly colored flowers of the lower elevations gave way over the course of a four hour’s climb to a solid sheet of ice covered in a blanket of snow. They stepped gingerly, pulling one hoof from the icy pack before plunging it right back into the frost again and again as they continued their climb up the ancient path.

Rarity slowed her pace and eventually came to a halt. She shouted ahead, “H-How much f-f-farther do we have to keep c-c-climbing?”

A few snow flurries danced in the air as Twilight turned her head and yelled back toward her team, “I don’t know, Rarity. It can’t be far, but I don’t know for sure. I thought we were there after that last rise we passed, but there was another hill waiting on the other side.”

“We have to keep going,” Rainbow Dash hollered above the beating of the winds. “If we stop now, we’re going to turn into pony-cicles.”

Fluttershy, speaking mostly to herself and the shivering pony next to her, said, “I’m sure glad I brought my sweater, and I’m also glad you made these cozy traveling cloaks, Rarity.”

“W-w-why thank you, Fluttershy. I just wish I had b-b-brought my mane warmer as w-w-well.” Rarity tugged her cloak in tight about her flank. A layer of frost broke off and fell to the ground.

Rainbow Dash scanned the path behind them. “Has anypony seen Applejack or Pinkie Pie?”

Twilight pitched around, realizing for the first time that not all of her friends were there with her. A loud roar came echoing down the canyon pass. She flipped back to face ahead. Just as she did, she caught sight of a white, furry creature double the size of any pony barreling down the trail toward them. The resounding roar hit her again.

The reverberations echoed out louder and louder off the canyon walls, the beast quickly descending upon the chilled and tired ponies. The flash of white fur floated across the snow as the monster charged down the path. Twilight turned back toward her three friends and shouted, “Yeti!”

The ponies turned and galloped down the path as fast as their tired hooves could carry them. Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash tried to open their wings, but their feathers were bound in a cocoon of ice outside the warming wrap of their cloaks. Fluttershy had tucked her wings up under her sweater and failed to unsheathe them in the heat of the moment.

Rarity found her hidden stash of emergency panic and bolted down the path, flailing and screaming at the top of her lungs.

In no time, they met up with both Applejack and Pinkie Pie. “What in tarnation!” Applejack hollered at the thundering herd barreling toward her.

Twilight yelled ahead, “Run Applejack! Run Pinkie Pie! Run! It’s a yeti!” She slid past the two stunned ponies as Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash crashed directly into them. The snow packed hillside dumped a load of fresh powder on their heads as they struggled to get back to their hooves. It took them a moment to collect themselves before they could attempt to dig out from under the fallen drift.

“Now wait a second,” Pinkie grumbled as she popped her head out of the snow. “No one said we were starting a game of freeze tag.”

“Pinkie, this isn’t a game!” Rarity cried as she frantically shook the snow from her back. “Please remove your hoof from my mane and look behind us.” The ponies worked to untangle themselves from their frozen mass of hooves and hair. Twilight stopped and scanned back up the trail in the direction they had come. The beast was still hot on their tail and nearly on top of them.

Twilight rounded and took up a defensive stance. She lowered her head and aimed her horn up at the beast, calling up her magic beam spell. Nothing happened. She reached up to check her horn. A thick layer of ice encrusted the entire length. Feeling helpless without her magic, she jumped toward her friends, trying her best to shield them from the fury of the yeti about to rain down on the pile of frozen ponies.

“Not so fast, mister!” Pinkie yelled. She reached back into her pack and pulled out a small object about the size of a cupcake. She wound up and threw it at the yeti. The projectile found its mark—unfortunately, that mark was the wide open mouth of the rampaging beast.

Twilight braced for impact when, surprisingly enough, the beast stopped dead in its tracks. Its jaws snapped down on the small object and began to chew. Several more crunches later, it swallowed. The yeti looked up with a gleam in its eye, its tongue lolling to the side of its half open mouth. At least three rows of razor sharp teeth layered into the open maw.

Pinkie yelled, “Can’t be angry on a full tummy!” She loaded up another round and reared back to throw. “I’ve got plenty more where that came from!”

“Pinkie, stop!” Twilight shouted. “Hold on a second. I think you did it.”

“Did what?” Pinkie Pie looked down at her hoof and then back up at the beast on the path above.

“You stopped the yeti,” Applejack said, pointing up at the beast. “I think it’s calmed down now.”

The yeti sat back on its hindquarters, still wagging its tongue from the side of its mouth. Two massive paws hung close to its chest. It seemed to be begging for more.

“What did you throw at him?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yeah, Pinkie,” Applejack added, “what have you got in yer pack that would stop a rampagin’ yeti plum cold in its tracks?”

“Oh, this?” Pinkie bounced a blue rock between her hooves. “It’s what I always take on long trips. Pie family rock candy!”

“You mean ta tell me, you’ve got both yer saddle bags loaded up with rock candy, and you’ve been haulin’ it all over creation this whole time?” Applejack asked.

“Yep! I never leave home without it!” Pinkie tossed one of the smaller rocks into her mouth and chomped down hard. The sound of cracking rock once again echoed through the mountain pass.

“No wonder you’ve been laggin’ behind this whole trip. I’ve been tryin’ to stay back with ya so ya didn’t get lost. I didn’t figure you’d try an’ haul a pack full of rocks all the way up here.” Applejack slumped down on her haunches.

“They are not rocks! It’s candy—rock candy. I should know—my family runs a rock farm.” Pinkie offered a few pieces around. “It’s always good to travel with your favorite snack.”

Relieved, Twilight stepped forward, declining the offered snack. “Well, Pinkie, I’m sure glad you did. That yeti must love your rock candy as much as you do. Maybe you should give him a little more so he doesn’t change his mind and try and eat us again.”

“Okay, Twilight,” Pinkie said. “I’m happy to share my nummy, nummy rock candy with our new yeti friend.” Pinkie dove into her pack and began tossing bits of her precious cargo over to the yeti. With each volley, he chomped down on the treat and waited with a wide open mouth for the next. Happily, he sat and chomped as Pinkie delivered his mid-day meal.

After taking on half a bag worth of candied rocks, the yeti waddled on over to Pinkie and proceeded to lick her mane like it was an oversized cotton candy second course. “I think I’ll name him George,” Pinkie declared before turning to ask the creature himself. “What do you think, George?”

“George good!” the yeti shouted. The rest of the ponies gave a collective gasp, but Pinkie kept right on playing with her new-found friend.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Ummm… George… I guess… How do you do? My name is Twilight Sparkle and these are my friends…”

Their new yeti friend smiled a big, toothy grin. “George like friends. Friends give George yummy rocks.”

“Yes… George… you see… we’re trying to get to the other side of this mountain. You… you wouldn’t happen to know how far that would be, would you?” Twilight remained cautious about talking to the hairy beast. One moment it was about to swallow her whole, and the next she was having a conversation with it.

“Hummm… this top. George live at top. You come from down there.” George pointed back down the path the ponies had climbed, their hoof-prints now frozen in the snowy trail below. He then gestured back in the other direction, slightly past the point of their first encounter. “Other side, over there.”

Rarity levitated a mirror out of her pack and tried to put her mane back together. Applejack helped Rainbow Dash who was straining to fish a shivering Fluttershy out of the collapsed snow drift. “You got any place where we could start a fire and warm up our friend here?” Rainbow Dash tossed a foreleg over her shivering friend. The chatter of Fluttershy’s teeth was louder than the chomps on the rock candy from before.

“Me take you home. You follow George to cave.” The lumbering yeti moved quickly over the snow packed path, tromping down the powder as he went. Hiking through his footprints made the trek much more bearable for the tired and frozen ponies.

The sun eventually broke through the clouds as the frosty bunch plodded off toward George’s cave at the summit.

Author's Note:

You might have to be a fan of the old Loony Toons series to catch the joke here...

Who else but a rampaging snow monster-turned rock candy connoisseur would you expect to find hanging out at the top of an impassible mountain peak?

Let's take a moment and thaw out poor Fluttershy, and then we can be on our way again.