• Published 13th Jul 2014
  • 2,657 Views, 89 Comments

The Evolution of Harmony - Thornwing



Far in the west, an old evil has awoken. Twilight must discover the truth about the past in order to save what remains of her future.

  • ...
7
 89
 2,657

Chapter Three - New Directions

The group spent the rest of the morning packing for their trip to Canterlot. Twilight wasn’t sure how long they would be gone, but given the circumstances for their visit, she wanted to be prepared. Her mental debate over whether or not to send word to Princess Celestia regarding what they had found went back and forth. She didn’t want to alarm her, but the information they had discovered was certainly relevant. Starswirl’s warning gave her pause, however. Why would he not want them to know about their parents? She thought it best to leave out the details and send a short message informing the Princess only of her intent to visit. The rest could be discussed directly once she arrived.

Twilight went about packing, multitasking dictation to her faithful assistant, always eager to help. “Spike, take a note. To the Princess: Dear Princess Celestia, I wish to inform you of a major discovery found here today in Ponyville, the details of which, I feel, would best be shared horn to horn. We are set to arrive on the evening train. I hope Luna is feeling better. Your faithful friend, Princess Twilight Sparkle.

“Got it, Twilight! I’ll send it right away.” Spike tossed the note in the air, consuming it a split second later in a blast of dragonfire. “What else can I do?”

“Actually, I have a big favor to ask of you.” Twilight took a break from stuffing things into her already overflowing saddle bags. “I need you stay here and watch over the castle. That secret library is pretty important, and I can’t allow anypony else to know about it until we have a chance to talk to the Princess. Can I trust you to stand guard and not let anypony near the throne room while I’m gone?”

Spike saluted. “You can count on me, Twilight!”

“Good! I need to go check on the others and see about getting everypony on the next train to Canterlot.” Twilight levitated her saddle bags over her back and cinched down the strap around her belly. “I’ll be back as soon as I can. Take good care of the castle for me.” She spotted one final item lying on her bed—the book she had found in the secret library. Grabbing hold of it with her magic, she quickly levitated it into her pack and broke into a trot heading out the balcony door.

“Travel safely, Twilight—and come home soon.” Spike waved as Twilight ran out the door, spread her wings, and jumped into the air.

Flying the short distance across town, she watched Ponyville going about its day as if nothing had changed. Not that anything had changed for them, but for Twilight it felt odd to be involved in yet another mysterious adventure, and no pony the wiser. As far as everypony else was concerned, it was just a day like any other.

Closing the distance, she caught sight of her friends already boarding the train for Canterlot. She glided in for a landing on the depot platform. As she came to a stop, Rarity’s dulcet tones greeted her arrival.

“What do you mean it won’t fit?” Rarity stomped her hoof.

“I mean, you’ve got too much luggage, miss.” The train conductor shrugged his shoulders in a gesture of defeat.

“Why, that’s impossible. It simply must be brought aboard.” Rarity stomped another hoof. A pile of crates and boxes and bags piled up higher than the train itself lay at the edge of the platform.

“I’m sorry, miss, but we just don’t have room for all your, umm, stuff.” The conductor took a nervous look at his watch hanging from a chain draped around his neck.

“I’ll have you know, this isn’t just any old stuff. It’s my traveling collection, and I need it all loaded on that train, right away.” The pile tilted to the side threatening to topple as the train engine spit a puff of steam in the air.

Applejack poked her nose in. “Rarity, what in blazes ya’ need all that… umm… stuff for? It’s not like we’re heading out to fashion week or nothin’. We’re just goin’ to Canterlot to talk to the Princess.”

Rarity dropped to her haunches in a pout. “I guess that would make sense to you, Applejack. As for me, when I travel, I must plan for any and all occasions.” She turned up her nose. “What is it that you brought?”

“Well shucks. What do ya think I packed?” Applejack patted the bulging saddle bag hanging from her back.

Rarity heaved a sigh tossing her head along with her shining purple mane from side to side. “Wait. Let me guess… Apples?”

“Don’t that sound a lot more sensible than packin’ a bunch of clothes you probably ain’t never goin’ to wear?” Applejack spun a hoof around the brim of her cowpony hat. “The only accessory I need for travelin’s this here hat.”

Fluttershy’s whisper barely reached an audible level. “I packed a sweater. It gets chilly up in the hills of Canterlot. Perhaps you could bring a scarf or something like that. Just, maybe, not everything you have right there.”

Rarity tossed her hooves in the air and signaled over to the exasperated conductor. “Oh, all right. Just load those two bags there and send the rest back to Carousel Boutique. I guess I’ll have to manage without my full ensemble.”

The conductor replied as cordially as he could. “Right away, miss. I’ll get one of the attendant ponies to transport this …uhhh… luggage back to your place.”

On the other side of the platform Rainbow Dash fussed over a slow-poke Pinkie Pie. She watched, hovering, as Pinkie hefted a pair of overloaded saddle bags onto the train. “Come on, Pinkie. We gotta go.”

“Almost… there… don’t… leave… without me…” Pinkie inched her way onto the train—her saddle bags straining at the seams to hold together.

“Pinkie, we’re not leaving without you, but could you please hurry it up?” Rainbow tapped her hoof against a footrest of nothing, still hovering above the scene.

Applejack sauntered over and injected herself into their conversation as well. “Well, missy, some of us had to pack for this here trip—unlike you.”

“What can I say? I travel light!” Rainbow Dash flexed her wings. The obvious lack of any saddle bags meant she had spent no time at all in preparation for the journey. “No saddle bags for this flyin’ filly! By the way, what’s in yours, Pinkie?”

Still struggling with the pair of overloaded packs, Pinkie grunted and continued to lug her bags onto the train. Rainbow glared and shook her head. “C’mon. It’s just a simple trip to Canterlot. Am I right, Twi?”

Twilight looked up from her last minute inspection through all her items packed neatly away. “I don’t know if that’s all this is. My plan for now is to plan for whatever.”

“I’ll agree with you there, Twi. Fail to prepare, and prepare to fail. That’s what Granny Smith always says.” Applejack hopped up the train steps and swung her apple-filled packs into the storage compartment.

“Who says I’m not prepared? I’m prepared for anything. Me and my awesomeness are all I need.” Rainbow Dash darted in after her.

Rarity and Fluttershy approached. Twilight nodded to the conductor and along with the trailing members of her group, boarded the train. They all settled into their seats as the train whistle blew and the car lurched forward. Twilight sat a few seats apart from the rest, hoping to get some time alone to reexamine Starswirl’s book.

The ride was mostly uneventful. Applejack passed around some apples. Rarity distributed new traveling cloaks which she insisted hadn’t been thrown together at the last minute earlier that afternoon while they were all supposed to be packing. Fluttershy gazed out the window and tried to identify all her wild animal friends as they began their climb up the mountain. Twilight pulled out the book and gave it another read.

In a few hours, the group arrived at Canterlot station. Twilight fit her packs and stepped from the train. A trumpet call sounded the greeting from the Sergeant of the Guard and his entourage. “Princess Twilight. We’ve been expecting you.” Surprised by the unexpected welcome, she backpedaled a few steps and toppled over a struggling Pinkie Pie. In their discombobulated state, the Sergeant reached out a hoof to help them both up.

“Thank you, sir.” Twilight gave a quick salute to free the other guards from their lingering greeting. “It seems my letter made it to the Princess then?”

“It most certainly did. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are waiting for you in Princess Luna’s chambers. Please allow us to escort you there immediately.” He turned to head off toward town.

“It’s very kind of you, and I know you’re just doing your duty, but I know the way. I think my friends and I can manage, if that isn’t too much trouble.” Twilight wore her crown, but didn’t feel like exerting her royal presence any more than necessary. The military escort was a bit much, and she wanted to keep her visit as quiet as possible.

“As you wish, Princess!” The Sergeant saluted once more and took his leave. The other guards saluted and stepped aside as well. Opening their wings, they took off into the sky to resume their patrol.

Twilight hopped down off the train platform and made her way past the gates and on into the lower city. Her friends followed while chatting amongst themselves and taking in the sights of the capital. Pinkie Pie brought up the rear, her packs dragging along the ground as she walked. Regardless, they strolled quickly through the main square and pressed on toward the East Tower.

As they got closer to their destination, Rarity pulled up next to Twilight. She whispered, keeping the conversation private. “Twilight, dear, I’ve been meaning to ask you something of a personal question.”

“Of course. What is it, Rarity?” Twilight wasn’t expecting the chance inquiry, still bogged down in thought over the contents of the spellbound book.

“Well, it’s hardly my place to ask, but why don’t you wear your crown more often? I mean, I see you have it on now, but why don’t you wear it around Ponyville? It’s not like you stop being a princess when you’re at home.” Rarity bit her lip perhaps having crossed a line with her observation.

Twilight blushed. “I hadn’t really thought of it like that. I guess I’m still not used to this whole princess thing. Crowns take a lot of getting used to, and they come with a lot of responsibility. I’m not sure if I’m ready to carry that around with me wherever I go. I guess I feel more comfortable with my friends when I’m not trying to be a princess.”

“I can’t begin to say how lovely you look wearing your crown. It’s just so… so royal. I wish I could wear one like it too, but nevertheless I am so very grateful that you are our princess.” Rarity patted a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“Thank you, Rarity. You’re an amazing friend. I don’t know what I would do without you.” Twilight tugged at the hem of her new cloak. “I should also thank you for my traveling cloak. I forgot how nippy it is up here on Canterlot Peak.”

“You’re ever so welcome.” Rarity blushed. “I had one more question, if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all, Rarity. Go ahead.” Twilight adjusted her crown a bit, now fully conscious of the weight she bore sitting atop her head.

Rarity hesitated another moment before continuing. She lowered her voice back to a whisper and continued. “I noticed you were reading that Alicorn book back on the train. You don’t intend to show it to the Princesses, do you?”

“Why wouldn’t I? The book is about them.” Twilight internally debated the topic without letting on that the decision was still up in the air.

Rarity’s hushed voice crept back to normal volume. “Well, don’t you think that book was sealed for a reason? Starswirl himself said that he didn’t think the Princesses should know anything about their parents or their mysterious disappearances. I’m not sure if I want to know what happened either.”

“I hadn’t thought about it like that… Maybe you have a point. Starswirl was a great Unicorn, but he didn’t always have the answers. I guess I’ll have to trust in my heart and see what happens. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna should know that their parents may still be alive—at least I’m pretty sure transformed Alicorns can live that long.” Twilight pondered the thought of finding the Royal Sister’s parents. If found alive, they would retain the title of oldest living ponies—and maybe even more than that.

“I hope you’re right, Twilight. I wouldn’t want to get their hopes up too high though. The opposite might be true as well.” Rarity lowered her head and continued on as normal.

“Agreed. We’ll just have to trust that the Princesses are wise enough to use this information properly. Maybe we can discover the truth about their parents and fill in that huge gap in pony history.” Twilight stared up at the dimming spires of the East Tower. The sun would set soon, and they needed to speak to the Princess before she retired for the night.

The pack of ponies slowly made their way up the winding staircase of the tower. Pinkie Pie struggled to bring up the rear with her overloaded saddle bags bulging and bouncing with every step. After a dizzying climb, they finally reached the top of the stairs which emptied out into a grand hallway. Princess Luna’s private chambers were straight ahead. The guards at the door saluted as Twilight passed between them. The other ponies filed along in turn as they all crowded into Luna’s bedroom.

“I’m so glad to see you all.” Celestia’s voice was a welcome sound. “I’m so sorry that we couldn’t come to Ponyville this evening, but as you can see, Princess Luna is already doing much better.”

Luna was more subdued yet equally welcoming. “Hello, Twilight. I see thou hast brought thy friends with thee.”

Twilight was a bit more enthusiastic with her greeting. “Princess! I’m so glad to see you’re doing well.” Twilight bowed her head as she directed her words toward Luna who lay tucked under black-satin sheets atop an enormous princess-sized bed. “I was so worried after what I saw last night. At first, I thought it was just a dream, but then I got Celestia’s note, and I didn’t know what to think anymore. It’s so good to see you’re okay.”

“Princess Twilight, I must humbly thank thee for coming to visit and offer my gratitude for thy courageous service in our time of need.” Luna bowed her head, clutching her hoof to her chest.

“But Princess, It’s really not that—” Twilight started to reply, but Luna cut her off.

“Thy vision called to me as well, and I charged forward without thinking of the consequences. My careless actions may have cost thee precious time. Thou art correct to worry. A being of legend has risen up—taken form once again in the old country. If thou and thy friends cannot stop it, I fear for all of Equestria.” Luna fell back on her pillow and stared up at the ceiling, taking in labored breaths.

Celestia walked over and gave her sister a pat on the mane as she levitated a damp cloth across her brow. “Take care, sister. You shouldn’t exert yourself just yet. Allow me to tell the tale of the Smooze.”

“The what?” Rainbow Dash cocked her head to the side, freezing her lip in a snarl like a question mark.

“Is this the part where you pull out a history book and show us some monster that we never knew existed where if we don’t stop it, all of Equestria is doomed?” Pinkie Pie panted as her tongue lolled to the side of her mouth.

Celestia glanced back at Pinkie with a puzzled look. She shook her head slightly and very slowly answered, “Yes.” The others stared awkwardly at Pinkie while Celestia continued. “Although, I had hoped to allow your event to continue this evening before summoning you all here.”

Twilight lifted her head slightly, questioning her years of study under the watchful eye of her mentor. “So, the creature from my vision has a name? Why haven’t I heard of it before?”

“You have, but you may not remember where you came across it.” Celestia stepped back from the bed and levitated a decrepit and abused book off the nightstand. “The story is written in only one place, the very oldest history book in the kingdom.” In her magic aura, the book floated toward Twilight. “When you were still very young, I read you the tales from the old country. You used to adore the stories of Dream Valley and our pony ancestors from long ago.”

Twilight took a deep breath as she came to recognize the cover. “That’s my old book of pony tales!” She took hold of the book in the transfer of magic. “How can they be true? I thought those stories were all made up—nothing more than foal tales.” She lifted the cover and flipped through the colorfully drawn pages filled with prancing ponies dancing in the meadows surrounding a stately white castle.

Celestia chuckled. “You’d be surprised how much truth can be found in the stories we tell our young. The tale of the Smooze is one of the oldest recorded, but it rarely gets told. Considering the recent visions concerning the monster, it bears another look—don’t you think?”

Twilight found the page where the story began and scanned through the rest. “I remember now. Trolls used dark magic to conjure a creature of earthen blight. It destroyed the ponies’ castle and threatened to bury the whole valley with its corruption. In the end, it was defeated by the Flutter Ponies.”

“Um, what’s a Flutter Pony?” Rainbow Dash flapped up behind Twilight taking up the view of the book over her right shoulder.

“It is a sad truth that not everything you read in history books is accurate.” Celestia took hold of the book once again. “We may be able to take the bulk of the story as fact, but I believe the part about the Flutter Ponies is a bit contrived—a superfluous bit of fluff invented by an overzealous and imaginative author drawing the minds of young foals away from base facts. The story also mentions a power described as The Rainbow of Light, and says that the beast overwhelmed the Rainbow with ease. That said, we really have no idea how the beast was actually defeated, only that it was.”

“I think I know somepony who knows the answer to that, perhaps a few more as well.” Twilight reached into her pack and pulled out the small book. “We found this in the castle, Princess. I think you should take a look.”

Luna sat up again in her bed, taking particular interest in the item presented. Celestia took a few steps forward as Twilight passed the book toward her. The golden glow of the Princess’ royal horn reached out to accept the gift. Before her magic could take hold, foreign energy enveloped the book in a powerful green glow, halting its forward progress.

The book-pony sprang to life once more. “Identify yourself!” the voice commanded. Celestia took an alarmed step back. Twilight took to worrying if she hadn’t made a huge mistake. The book hovered between the princesses, waiting for a response. The other ponies looked on, but didn’t say a word.

Celestia stood up confidently and addressed the book. “Starswirl, we’ve had enough of your games. Tell us what we need to know and stop pretending that you alone shall decide what’s best for us. We’re not your little fillies anymore.” She stomped her hoof, and now it was the book that took a figurative step backward.

“I bend to your will, Princess. Please accept my humble apology.” The book sailed over to the bed and settled into the covers. The mouth absorbed back into the binding and the book opened itself to the first page.

Twilight sat in awe of her mentor as she pored through the book with her sister. She could barely make out a tear that briefly surfaced in the corner of Celestia’s eye as the latter gazed at the wedding picture of her parents. With the swipe of a foreleg, the tear vanished before ever completely forming. Luna shook her head as she read. Judging from her look, the story of her parents must have been something she had never truly known given her tender age. Everypony else sat reverently and waited for the sisters to reach the end of the tale.

Celestia raised her head when she finished, still looking down at her sister. “I’m afraid this story leaves us with more questions than answers.”

Luna looked up at Celestia. “There is only one way to find out for sure.”

“I know, sister.” Celestia turned back to face Twilight. “I’m afraid we have no choice.”

Author's Note:

So, yeah...

I rewrote most everything here in my latest editing run. I hope anyone who is reading this for a second time likes the changes.