• Published 13th Jul 2014
  • 2,657 Views, 89 Comments

The Evolution of Harmony - Thornwing



Far in the west, an old evil has awoken. Twilight must discover the truth about the past in order to save what remains of her future.

  • ...
7
 89
 2,657

Chapter Five - Diversions

With most of the day gone and a slippery downhill trek ahead, Twilight was thankful to take a few moments refuge in the small cave of the mountain-dwelling yeti, George. Together with Rainbow Dash, she hovered just outside the cave entrance, staring down the other side of the mountain pass. The forest below hung in a state of sickly repose, resigned to a fate of total decay.

Twilight consulted her map. “That has to be the Shadow Forest. It’s the same as in my dream.” She pointed in the direction of the infestation of dark green overgrowth in the valley below, spreading out for as far as the eye could see.

“Sure fits the name.” Rainbow Dash peered out over the span. “It’s even more dark and gloomy looking than the Everfree Forest back home.”

Twilight put away her map and floated back toward the cave. “Well, the Smooze is down there somewhere. I just hope we’re ready to face it.”

Rainbow Dash shook her head in agreement and followed. “You got that right. Let’s see if the others are warmed up and ready to go.”

The early afternoon sun shone through the opening of the cave. Applejack had gotten a nice fire going. Rarity continued the failing battle with her mane, combing out the snow and twigs recently embedded. Pinkie Pie stood on a stool, braiding George’s head fur into an intricate basket-weave pattern.

Once Fluttershy was sufficiently thawed, her conversation with George extended to a new level of familiarity. Always one enamored with exotic creatures, she flung the questions rapid-fire. “How old are you? What do you normally eat? How many teeth do you have? Can I count them? Do you have any friends?” Her last question seemed to strike a chord.

“Before ponies, George all alone.” The yeti hung his head, scooping it up in his tent-polling paws. “No one come to visit but nasty Trolls.”

“Oh, dear.” Fluttershy rushed to his side. Reaching gently through his mangy fur, she pet him with calming strokes. “There, there. You don’t have to be alone anymore.”

“So George,” Rainbow Dash began her questioning. “What’s the big deal chasing us down the mountain?”

The yeti sandwiched between two loving ponies grunted a reply. “George afraid ponies try and steal rocks. Trolls always steal rocks. Ponies never try before, but now ponies friends.”

“What do you mean, Trolls always steal your rocks?” Twilight asked.

“George eat rocks. Trolls steal from rock garden. George no like Trolls.” The beast frowned sympathetically. “George show you garden if you want.”

Pinkie squealed with delight. “I would love to see your rock garden, George! My whole family farms rocks too. I bet there’s a ton of things we could talk about—I can’t wait to tell Maud all about this. Maybe she can come visit too.”

Applejack nodded. “Since we’re all friends now, I reckon Rainbow Falls would love to have a yeti visit once in a while as well.”

“I hate to heat and run, but we’ve got bigger problems to tackle.” Twilight backed away and opened up to the larger group. “I promise we’ll come back when our mission is complete, but we really need to get going.”

“But look how sad and lonely he is.” Fluttershy’s doe eyes mirrored the set from George as they both stared back at Twilight. “We just barely got here. Can’t we stay the night and leave tomorrow?”

Twilight approached and laid a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy brushed back a tear as she dove into George and gripped him in a bear-strength hug. George reciprocated up to the point where Pinkie held out another piece of rock candy. He quickly forgot about the fawning Pegasus and turned his full attention to the offered treat. Twilight held out her hoof, drawing Fluttershy away from her yeti friend. “I promise—once we’re done with the Smooze.”

“George help ponies down mountain.” The yeti hopped to his feet. “Rock garden on the way.”

“Well, I guess that settles that then.” Twilight gathered her pack and helped Fluttershy with her cloak. “Let’s pony up, girls.” Following their leader’s example, everypony else fell in line.

Leading the way down the mountain slope, George cleared a path through the snow. The trek down the slope wasn’t nearly as tough as climbing up the east face had been. The gradual descent felt like a walk in the park compared to the nearly straight upward slog from the morning. It also helped that Pinkie had lightened her load considerably by feeding George nearly all her rock candy.

Within an hour, the snowy path had given way to mountain flowers and tall waving grasses. To the right side, a boulder- and rubble-filled patch meant they had arrived at George’s rock garden. Limestone and granite blocks lined the perimeter, with marble and igneous formations within. Pinkie Pie took off into the maze relishing in the elegant array of neatly organized rocks.

Fluttershy gave George another hug. “I’ll be back soon, and if I find those mean old Trolls, I’ll tell them to stop stealing your rocks.” George smiled and hugged her back.

They waved farewell as George retreated up the path. If all went well, they would see him again. If not, Twilight feared, the villagers of Rainbow Falls would have another tale to tell about the beast on the mountain and how it devoured a princess and her whole group of friends.

The verdant rolling hills didn’t last long, and soon they stood on the edge of a dark and gloomy wood. The air smelled of mold and decay. All around them, the plants bent and bowed to the strange sickness. The path ahead was broken and overgrown with hundreds of years of traveler neglect. Roots and fallen limbs crisscrossed the trail, making it hard to see more than a short distance.

Twilight gathered her courage and set about laying out her plan. “Alright girls, we have nothing to fear as long as we stick together. The map says this is the way we should go and the path leads straight into the forest.”

Rarity raised a hoof and shook a bit of muck from the crease of her shoe. “Twilight, are you sure this is such a good idea? Perhaps one of you lovely Pegasi could just fly up over these trees and have a looksee. Let us know what we’re getting ourselves into before we blindly forge ahead.”

Rainbow Dash was quick to reply. “Sure thing! Wouldn’t want you wandering off the trail in the wrong direction.”

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea you two.” Twilight took stock of the road ahead. “Those tree branches are incredibly thick. If somepony were to fly above us while the rest of the group stayed on the ground, they could easily lose track of where we were. Not to mention, we need to stay together so we’re ready if the Smooze attacks.”

Applejack backed her up. “That’s right. We all need to stick together. No pony should be flyin’ off on their own. We don’t have any idea what else could be lurkin’ out there in that spooky forest, neither.”

“This place looks more dangerous than Froggy Bottom Bog.” Fluttershy took a deep breath to refresh her courage and squeaked, “I think we should stick together, too.”

“Alright then,” Rarity relented. “Lead the way.”

They headed off once more, quickly disappearing into the gloom of the Shadow Forest. The path quickly fell away into the jumble of roots and rocks. Various ferns and other overgrowth choked the view ahead. The ponies tried their best to stay close, one abreast the other, but gradually fell into a single file line.

Twilight led the way, her horn lighting the path ahead at least as far ahead as the next bush or root down the broken path. Rainbow Dash was right on her tail—she sometimes rose up a bit as she poked into the lower canopy to try and see if the path showed any sign of clearing. Fluttershy and Applejack followed next behind the leaders as Pinkie Pie hummed a little tune, bouncing along behind.

Rarity was not enjoying herself in the least. She had words with a number of branches that slapped back in her face and quite a few fallen logs she was made to scramble over. Her traveling cloak looked more like a bird’s nest with all the tears and scuffs—twigs poking through in numerous spots.

After what seemed like hours of trudging along the barely visible path, the forest opened up into a small clearing. Twilight called the group to a halt and the ponies came to a stop in the open space. The grass may have been greener than back under the shrouding canopy of the trees, but it failed to entice anypony to eat it. The lingering smell and general malaise made them sick to their stomachs even thinking about foraging for food among the local flora. The open sky above looked darker than when they had entered the forest, yet there were no clouds to be seen. Twilight could tell it was getting dark and they needed a place to bed down for the night.

“My aching hooves,” Rarity wailed. “These silly horseshoes feel like bricks.”

“Well, be glad ya’ have ‘em.” Applejack looked up from digging the muck out of her own shod hooves. “Your poor little tootsies would be all but worn off by now if you didn’t.”

Fluttershy’s tummy grumbled louder than she normally spoke. “Twilight, do you think we could take a little break? It’s quite a bit past my usual dinnertime.”

Twilight pulled the map from her pack and tried to make sense of their current position. “I don’t see why not. In fact, this place seems as good as any to set up camp for the night. We can try and get our bearings and head out again come morning.”

“Finally!” Rarity flopped herself down on the softest patch of grass she could find. Her hooves lolled to one side and gave an involuntary twitch.

The rest of the company set about making camp. Applejack got a small fire going and set some apples in a spit to roast. Pinkie Pie laid out what remained of her rock candy and cheerfully offered to share it with the others; they all politely refused. The rest gathered leaves and fern branches and formed small beds to settle down on for the night.

It wasn’t too difficult for them to fall asleep, what with the excitement and grueling travel of the day. Thanks to Applejack’s expert camp cooking, their full bellies weren’t much of a hindrance either. The odd noises of the old forest made it a little difficult for Twilight to get comfortable. Pinkie Pie’s snoring was also not helping. She rolled over and back again trying to settle down.

Applejack whispered over, “Twilight, you awake?”

“Yes, Applejack. What is it?” Twilight stared up at the stars in the cloudless sky, dim and somewhat obscured by a thin layer of fog.

“Well, I was just wonderin’—seein’ as we made it to this here Shadow Forest and all—what are we s’posed to do now?” Applejack’s question was obvious—the same as Rainbow Dash from earlier. They had set out from Canterlot without knowing much of their actual destination other than the mysterious foe they sought. The old country spanned a large area. Following the path through the Shadow Forest was the only logical option at the moment.

Twilight whispered back, “That’s what I’m worried about. We’ve made it all the way here, but I still don’t feel like we’re any closer to a solution. I almost wish the Flutter Ponies were real so I could ask them what to do about the Smooze.”

“Even if they were real, I wouldn’t trust ‘em for advice. It don’t look like they managed to contain this Smooze thing all that well. Least they didn’t finish him off for good. Isn’t that the whole reason why we’re here? To finish the job they messed up?” Applejack kicked out her hind legs and rolled over on her back.

“I don’t know if that helps, Applejack. I think it would be better if I knew for sure that our powers will be enough to vanquish the Smooze. Now I have to worry about the problem coming back in a thousand years or so, even if we do defeat it.” Twilight let out a sigh. The leaves of the nearby trees rustled in the gentle breeze—night settled in around them.

“At least you’ll have some first-hoof experience for the next go around,” Applejack chuckled. “I reckon I’ll be long gone by then.”

“Thanks. You’re a big help.” Twilight rolled to her side and sunk her head into the pile of fern fronds of her makeshift pillow.

“Try and get some rest, darlin’. I reckon we’re goin’ ta need you at yer best tomorrow. G’night.” Applejack rolled over and shut her eyes.

Twilight spoke to herself. “You’re right. I just wish I knew more about what we’re supposed to do out here.” She rolled over and within a few minutes they were both fast asleep.


“Leave my friends alone!” Fluttershy’s cry shook the camp awake. Twilight raised her head and tried to roll over. Her legs wouldn’t budge. Taking immediate inventory of the camp in the dim glow of the passing moonlight, she wasn’t the only one in trouble.

Up on her hooves, Fluttershy stared down a few hundred Star Spiders scattered in every direction. On the edge of the clearing, barely past the tree line, a humungous eight-legged creature locked multiple eyes with the pony. The muffled voice of Applejack yelped from within a silken mound next to Twilight. Rarity’s cries followed from across the way. Rainbow Dash was nowhere to be seen. Pinkie giggled and rolled on her back, tiny spiders skittering across her belly. “Hee hee hee, that tickles!” Her legs were all tangled in the webbing.

“Call off your swarm and release my friends or I’ll… I’ll…” Fluttershy dug in her rear hooves. The hair of her mane lifted off her neck.

“Or you’ll what?” The giant spider swayed forward into the brighter light of the clearing. The star pattern on her bulging abdomen added to the glow. “Do not presume to threaten a queen in her own domain when you are clearly in the wrong, little pony.”

“You can talk?” Fluttershy broke off her Stare, falling back a few steps. “We’re so so so so sorry. We didn’t realize this was your home. Please let my friends go and we’ll leave right away—we promise.”

“Silly pony. You stand on sacred ground, the last place in the valley left untouched by the influence of the Smooze—the Star Shrine. How can I let your intrusion go unpunished?”

Twilight didn’t like where this was heading. Her horn sparked to life and the silken spider threads fell from her torso. Three shots of magic melted the others from their cocoons. She sprung to the fore and faced down the creature. “We don’t want any trouble. Tell me what you’ve done with my other friend and we’ll be on our way.”

“Interesting.” The spider’s clacking mandible tapped out a shaky beat. Skittering around the clearing, the tiny spiders retreated to the safety of their queen. “The night grows dark and another Alicorn makes her way into the forest. Does this bode well for my children? Perhaps if you share the reason for your journey, I shall forgive you your trespass. Why have you come here?”

Twilight gathered with her friends, still scanning the dark for any sign of Rainbow Dash. The spider queen relaxed. Getting the nod from the others that they were okay, Twilight stepped forward to answer the Queen. She bowed her head and bent her knee. “Your Majesty, we’ve come to the land of our ancestors to seek out a threat seen in vision. We mean no disrespect and humbly ask your forgiveness. It was not our intention to trespass on your land.”

“And what of this vision? I assume you speak of the creature.” Through the queen’s legs, Twilight caught sight of another cocoon hanging from a tree limb. “How will you overcome the beast? Shall you fare any better than the others?”

“I don’t know, Your Majesty. All I ask is that you let my friend go.” Twilight debated using her magic and making a run for it. “We only want to help.”

“My children hunger and food is scarce with the return of the Smooze.” A hundred clacking jaws echoed her sentiment. “Why should I deny them a meal when you blindly march to your death?”

Somewhat overshadowed, Fluttershy stepped out in front. “If you’re hungry, we have some apples that we can share.” She walked over to Applejack’s pack and opened the flap.

“You would willingly share your food with us? How rare indeed.” The spider queen’s fangs glistened in the moonlight.

“Fluttershy, stop.” Applejack dove to her side. “We need that food, and we’re not going to let ‘em eat Rainbow neither.” Turning on the spiders, Applejack prepared to charge. “Give us back our friend!”

“No.” Fluttershy stood her ground. “They’re hungry and we have to do what we can to help.” Gathering a few apples in her hooves, she flew over to the spider swarm. “Here you go. Now please, don’t eat my friend.”

Twilight stepped up to the saddle bags. Taking hold of another few apples, she joined Fluttershy. “We both want the same thing. Fighting gets us nowhere and in the end, we’ll all lose. If we’re going to defeat the Smooze, we’ll need all the help we can get.” She dropped her load near the queen. The little spiders quickly gathered up the fruit and skittered off into the forest.

“If you have come to battle the beast, I shall give you my blessing. The forest yearns to be rid of its blight. We can do little to assist, but we shall allow you sanctuary for the night.” With a clacking of her jaw, the spider queen drew back. Her little ones obeyed her order, releasing the final cocoon from the tree and hauling it over to the waiting ponies. “Do not underestimate the foe. The Smooze will grant you no stay. Strike first, or suffer the consequences. Farewell, little ponies. I hope we meet again.”

With a confirming nod of her head, Twilight’s horn went to work and dropped the strands in a flash. Rainbow Dash lazily yawned and stretched out her hooves and wings. “Hey Twilight. Morning already?”

“Not quite.” Twilight stepped back knowing that Rainbow was good to go. The spider queen and her brood disappeared back into the forest. “Let’s all try to get some sleep. It looks like we’ll need everything we can get for tomorrow.”