• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 11,602 Views, 766 Comments

PonyFall: Onward Valiant Crusaders - Fullmetal Pony



A man finds 3 familiar girls one day

  • ...
31
 766
 11,602

Suspicion

“What happened?” I rasped. I was on one knee and eye level with Sweetie. The trip back home had left me winded with my right side on fire. I gritted my teeth and kept my eyes focused on Sweetie and waited for an answer.

Sweetie’s eyes drifted to the floor. Her lip trembled and she balled up her hands. “I... I don’t know. It just hurt a lot and then it didn’t.”

“Did Discord do anything to you back at school?” I’d played out hundreds of different questions on the way back home. It wasn’t a good sign when Discord seemed to the most likely explanation.

“No way!” Apple Bloom shouted. “We’d never let him hurt Sweetie, right Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo’s head darted up from the floor. While I’d been talking to Sweetie, Scootaloo had curled up under the stove. Apple Bloom’s question startled her out of whatever daze she’d been in. She vigorously nodded her head up and down. “Yeah, sure... sure.”

“Then what was it?” I asked, probably louder than I should have.

Sweetie flinched at my voice and took and step back. She was shaking now. “I-I don’t know.”

“That’s why I need to find out!” Aggravated, I ran my good hand through my hair. Apple Bloom glared at me. I gave up resting on one knee and fell on my back. Silence fell on the guest house as I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened them again, I focused on Sweetie with a much softer look. “I don’t want whatever that was to hurt you.”

“Oh...” Sweetie hollowly replied. She trotted over and bowed her head low to me. “I’m sorry.”

I reached out and gently placed my good hand on her shoulder. Despite the pain in my side, I managed to get a smile onto my face. “At least you feel better, so it’s not all bad. How about we watch a movie?”

“Sure!” Sweetie and Apple Bloom replied with wide grins.

“Can we watch the one about the Totoro?” Scootaloo quietly asked.

“Hmm.” I grunted and picked myself off the ground and over to the pile of DVDs by the TV. The girls followed me to see what movie I would choose. I lowered my arm and showed them the cover: a girl with a black cat on her shoulder and a broom underneath her. “Well, Sybil took Totoro back, but I have another movie by the same person. How about we watch that?”

“Okay!” the Crusaders shouted.

“Alright, Kiki’s Delivery Service it is then.” I powered up the DVD player and the TV, and set up the movie, but it didn’t start immediately since I kept it on the channel mode. The girls peered back and forth at the TV and the remote while I explained each and every button to them. They didn’t care that I was setting up parental blocks on practically every channel, their eyes were glued to the quick movements of my thumb clicking over various buttons.

“I think we understand how the remote works now,” Scootaloo huffed after a few minutes.

“Sorry, it sometimes confuses even me.” My hand ached just a little less than my side by the time I finished blocking the channels. I finally pressed the “TV/DVD” button and the screen flicked black for a second, then a still photo of Kiki on her broom greeted us. “This is a menu screen. To get the movie to play, you just need to hit the play button.”

“I get it. It makes a lot more sense when ya understand the symbols.” Apple Bloom practically pushed her face into the remote’s play button and then looked up at the screen. On screen, the camera was panning over breathtaking hills. It stopped at two hills with the sun setting between them. As the sun fell, its light fell upon a small village nestled in the trees. The camera cut to a wooden house and a young girl with a red bow in her hair. “Hey, she kinda has a bow like mine.”

“Oooh,” Sweetie squeed. She excitedly jabbed a finger right at the screen. A black cat had appeared and crawled up on the girl’s shoulder. “Look! She’s got a cute cat too!”

Sweetie’s hand recoiled in surprise when Phil Hartman’s voice came out of the cat’s mouth. “It talked! Cats don’t talk!”

“Think of the girl like Fluttershy. She’s really good with animals, so she can understand them,” I explained.

“Hey, that kinda looks like Zecora’s hut,” Apple Bloom commented. On screen, Kiki was fiddling around with a bunch of boiling brews.

The start of the film was my favorite part and I laid back just as my pocket started buzzing. I reached down and pulled out my phone. A small groan escaped my lips when I saw that the caller was mom. “I need to take this.”

I got up off the ground and walked over to the bathroom. A fresh wave of pain in my side awarded me for my efforts. I closed the door and clicked the answer button on my phone. “Hello?”

“Where are you?” mom quivered.

Aw crap. “Uh, out on a walk? Why?”

“You scared me half to death! I came home and only the dogs were here and...” I heard a soft sob on the other end of the line. Mom’s voice came back, shaking and angry. “Dammit John! You can’t just keep going out like this! What if something had happened?”

“Nothing has happened,” I lied. My labored breathing due to my side probably wasn’t helping matters. “I just wanted to go on a walk. I should have told you though, I’m sorry.”

Mom gave some more sobs, followed by a few deep breaths. “Just call me next time. How far are you from home?”

“Actually, I’m just walking into the neighborhood. Did you just get back? I must have missed your car driving home.”

“You probably came from the north, I came from the south.” Mom’s voice was still a bit shaky, but its normal bubbliness was returning. “Do you want me to leave the garage open or are you coming in from the front door?”

“Garage.”

“Okay, and for the love of god, don’t tell your father. Bad enough you got me worked up.”

“Right, see ya soon.” I clicked off the phone and staggered out of the bathroom. The girls were all glued to the TV. A quick glimpse revealed that I’d missed the opening credits but that Kiki was still flying through the air on her broom.

Scootaloo was the first to notice me stepping out of the bathroom. She hopped to her feet and darted over to me. “John! Why can she fly?”

“It’s a movie.” Apple Bloom stayed where she was and kept her gaze on the TV. “People can do lotsa things they can’t do here. Why else would they ride in those car things?”

“That about sums it up.” I turned Scootaloo around and pushed her back over to the TV and her friends. “My mom just gave me a call, so I gotta head back, but if anything happens, anything at all, you come get me.”

The Crusaders nodded. That was enough confirmation for me and my side. It was stabbing repeatedly at me now and each step felt worse than the last. I needed my painkillers. I managed to muster up a smile and waved at the girls before closing the door on them.

The path back to the house was only a few yards at most, but my side extended the trip to a few miles. I was breathing heavily by the time I made it to the garage. Before I opened the door to the main house, I gulped down the air and tried to steady myself. I got more pain for my trouble.

I gritted my teeth and pulled open the door. The entranceway was empty and I thought I was in the clear until I saw mom in the kitchen. My expression must have been as pale as hers. “John, you don’t look well.”

“Didn’t want to worry you... but I think that pasta upset my stomach a little,” I lied. At least I was genuinely clutching my side in agony. It was impossible to avoid getting closer to mom in order to get to my room. “I’m gonna lie down for a bit.”

Mom’s hand was on my shoulder before I could react. “Do you need me to call a doctor?”

“No!” I yelled. My cast whipped upwards and slapped mom’s hand away. “I don’t need your help! I can handle this!” I pressed my good hand closer to my side. It only seemed to worsen the pain. “Ugh, I just need my pills. Don’t bother me.”

The way down to my room zoomed off into infinity. It was deathly silent too. I only had my thoughts on the long walk, but they were quite enough. The mall, the shouting, the lies, and Sweetie, most of all Sweetie.

The scene in the bathroom played out in my head again when my left hand opened my room’s door. I stumbled over to my desk, the pills and a glass of old water were still there from this morning. I unscrewed the cap, nearly cracking it in two, and managed to pour out a single pill.

The pill went down easy, but it didn’t help to alleviate anything. I smacked down on my bed, not even bothering to take off my shoes. The scene in the bathroom replayed again and again across the ceiling. My body and eyelids grew heavy, but the scene still kept playing. There was only one other thought in my head as everything faded to black. I don’t know what to do.

✦✦✦

Scootaloo trotted back over to us after John shut the door. She didn’t look very happy. I’d be pretty upset too if I ate a chicken. I was about to say something to her when a train horn came out of nowhere and made me jump up.

Apple Bloom giggled at me while I sank back down to the ground. “It’s just the movie, Sweetie.”

My heart had nearly popped out of my chest, but it was better than getting sick. Apple Bloom was right; the movie was showing the girl getting onto a train in the middle of a storm. Her name was Kiki, but I don't think that sounds like a very magical name. She was a thing called a witch, which must be some kind of human magic user. She can levitate stuff like Rarity, fly like a pegasus, and her mom can make potions like Zecora.

I like her, she’s a lot like a Crusader. Apparently, witches need to find what they’re good at when they turn thirteen. So, it’s kinda like finding a cutie mark, but I’d hate to wait until I was thirteen. “Hey, Scootaloo, wouldn’t it be horrible to wait until you were thirteen to get a cutie mark?”

“I think I’d go crazy!” Scootaloo shouted. “Why would you even bring that up?”

“Well, I was just thinking Kiki is a lot like a blank flank,” I explained.

Apple Bloom clasped her hand around her chin. She used to do that with her hoof, but you can only tap your chin, not grab it. I think it feels weird. Apple Bloom doesn’t really mind and Scootaloo says hands are like ticklish wings. “I guess she is like a blank flank.”

“And she can use magic.” That was what really got me interested in Kiki. She was only a few years older than me, but her magic was good enough to keep a broom in the air for hours. She had some issues with it, but I’ve never seen anypony fly on something before. “Maybe if I knew magic better all that stuff at the mall wouldn’t have happened.”

“Don’t get down about it.” Apple Bloom gave me a light elbow in the side. “I’m sure whatever it was was just some weird occu... ocu... thing. Lotsa weird things have happened while we’ve been here.”

“I guess,” I sighed and tried to smile a little, but I only thought back to the bathroom. John had gotten mad, really mad. He looked even worse than that time I’d made Rarity really angry and run off to Apple Bloom’s farm. No, that wasn’t right. He looked like Rarity when she’d found me with Apple Bloom and Applejack. “I hope John’s okay.”

“He’ll be fine,” said Scootaloo. “He protected us from Discord after all. He’s just a little hurt like that time Rainbow Dash broke her wing.”

If this was anything like the time Rainbow Dash broke her wing, Scootaloo would be at John’s side until we pried her away from him. She’d cried more than I knew it was possible for a pony to cry at the Ponyville Hospital. Rainbow Dash was actually really nice about it and gave Scootaloo a hug. We all made her get well cards and laughed when we heard about the book incident, except for Scootaloo. She became a Daring Do fan overnight.

“Anyway, can we get back to the movie?” Scootaloo gestured at the TV. Kiki was now in a town. I’d never seen a town like it. It was by a huge lake with lots of white and red towers and tall buildings that looked like hotels.

We all stayed pretty quiet after that. The part where Jiji had to pose as a doll got us to laugh though. He was silly, staying in one position and sweating really bad when the big dog came up to him.

Scootaloo’s eyes went wide when she saw the boy use his flying machine. It wasn’t really that impressive, it was just a bike with wings and a windmill attached to it. “Hey, how come our machine didn’t work like that when we tried to get our cutie marks in flying machines?”

“Maybe he used better glue than we did,” I suggested.

Apple Bloom got up and pointed at the machine’s windmill. “Plus, he’s got a newer windmill. We only had the old one nopony was using.”

“Hmm.” Scootaloo sunk back down to where she’d been sitting. Her eyes turned really narrow whenever the boy was on the screen after that.

My eyes probably narrowed too when Kiki couldn’t use her magic anymore. I didn’t like that and it made my stomach feel funny. Not sick funny, but I still didn’t like it. It reminded me of the stories Rarity would tell about Discord and how he took her horn away and made her mean. That made those weird bumps people got when they’re cold appear on my skin. Discord hadn’t done anything evil to me. I’d be mean to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo if he had. I didn’t like thinking about that.

Kiki did get back her magic and that made me really happy. The end of the movie made me confused though. “So why did she lose her magic?”

Apple Bloom scratched her head. “I think it’s cause she got a cold and was really sad.”

“Oh yeah,” I replied. A memory of Rarity in bed at home with an icepack on her horn came back to me. “Rarity once had something like that. I was really little, but I remember that her horn was hurting her. My mom made her feel better though.”

Scootaloo grabbed the remote and made the TV go back to the channel everypony else was on. Nopony was on right now, instead there were a bunch of giant cars. I blinked and the cars were gone and instead there were these even bigger things that looked like people made of metal. “This looks weird.”

Scootaloo pressed the button John had told us changed the channel. The TV transformed from the giant metal people to people with really big noses. A blue thing with a duckbill wandered next to the big nosed people and the people started yelling and flailing their arms at it. Scootaloo sighed and clicked the remote again. “What’s up with these weird shows?”

Scootaloo clicked through several more channels and sighed and huffed at each of them. She pushed the button again and the screen went from an old mare person cooking with a lot of butter to an ancient weathered temple. Sand was everywhere and the only point of light was a small crack in the ceiling.

There was a guy standing under the light. He had a really deep stubble that was barely not a beard. His clothing made him look like he was from Saddle Arabia. Rarity liked to talk about the turbans and cloaks everypony wore there because it was so hot. The guy had this really big staff in his hand with a pretty ruby on top. The light caught the ruby and then it ran over this miniature town.

I glanced over to Scootaloo and saw that her eyes had gone as wide as dinner plates. She was grinning like she’d gotten an autograph from Rainbow Dash. “It’s just like a Daring Do story!”

“That’s nice Scoots,” Apple Bloom yawned. She moved around and got more comfortable on the bed. “I think I’m gonna take a nap, going shopping made me tired.”

I realized my eyes felt pretty heavy too. The bed felt really nice right now as well. I pulled myself up from the floor and crawled across the bed over to the pillows. “A nap sounds good.”

“You two enjoy your sleep, I’m gonna watch awesome adventures!” Scootaloo glued her eyes to the TV. I glanced over to see what the guy was doing. He was being lowered into a giant dark room filled with a ton of snakes. I may not have agreed with Rarity on a lot of things, but we both hated snakes. Her story about one Winter Wrap Up where she helped Fluttershy with them still scared me.

I snuggled closer to the pillow and closed my eyes. Before I fell asleep, I thought back to when Rarity had been sick. She still lived with mom and dad back then. I think that was the first time I’d ever been really really scared. She just wouldn’t stop crying and that made me cry too, but mom wasn’t worried at all. I didn’t really like thinking too much about it and it made me go to sleep feeling icky.

~~~

A wet tongue lapped my face and opened up my eyes. Oxford pushed his muzzle close to my face and licked me again. My bedroom door was wide open, no doubt a result of my injury-induced stupor. I glanced over to my window and saw that the sky had turned purple with faint tinges of orange to the west. “Ugh, I slept too long.”

I pushed myself off the bed and nearly stepped on Kloe. She’d been at the foot of my bed and, in my post-sleep doldrum, I hadn’t noticed her. I gave her an apologetic rub on the head and lumbered out of my room and into the hallway. The scent of crispy fried onions, baked noodles, and tuna greeted me in the hallway. My mouth salivated at the smell of tuna casserole, but I checked myself when I realized the Crusaders wouldn’t be able to eat it. I wouldn’t have another Panda Express incident.

The smell intensified as I made my way down the hall. My side didn’t hurt now, so walking got easier and easier the more my head cleared up. The casserole was atop the stove with a large serving spoon plunged into it. Mom must have just been about to dole the dish onto plates when I walked in. “John, you’re up.”

“Yeah...” Awkwardness filled the air as much as the smell of dinner. I reached back and scratched my head. “Sorry about earlier. I pushed myself too hard.”

“I just worry about you.” Mom kept her eyes on the casserole while she talked. She grabbed the serving spoon and gave generous portions to three plates. Next to the casserole was a plate full of asparagus, which I assumed would be her dinner. “Your father and I can be naggy sometimes, but we’re just looking out for you.”

“I know,” I sighed before I walked over to the stove and picked up a plate. Just as I walked away, mom added an extra dollop of casserole to my plate. That made me pause and look her straight in the eye. “A lot of things have just been going on lately and I feel like I have no control over any of it.”

Mom put down the spoon and laid a hand on my shoulder. “John, you couldn’t control what happened to you, but you shouldn’t let it loom over your life. Thank god you still have your friends, family, and you’re relatively unscathed by everything. Once your cast comes off, this will all just be a bad memory.”

If only it were that simple. I’d already divulged enough about the truth, anything more specific might get unwarranted attention. Perhaps calling Doug after dinner would help, maybe he’d even found more ponies. I smiled and said, “Thanks.”

“That reminds me.” Mom moved her hand away from me and stepped over to the small desk that was built into the wall. There was a medium sized box atop the desk that I hadn’t noticed when I’d walked in. “This came for you today. I think the sender’s address got messed up though. It said it was from Australia.”

“Oh, that.” The muscles in my face twitched with excitement and surprise, but I tried my hardest to reign them in. I needed neutrality right now or minor excitement if I couldn’t manage that. To my relief, that box wasn’t open when I set down my plate and inspected it. “Yeah, real weird thing. I ordered this One Piece wallet and some shirts off of this anime website a few weeks back, but the place operates from Australia.”

“Oooh,” mom said with that false interested tone she took up whenever I mentioned one of my hobbies. It was a sincere gesture, but the day she actually cared about what I watched would be the day I cared about her soap operas. “Can I see?”

“Eh, you wouldn’t get them anyway.” I set the box back down on the desk, picked up my plate, and sat down at my usual seat at the dinner table. The casserole smelled even better this close and my fork was right next to my hand. “Rachel and dad better get here soon, or I’ll finish dinner before they even sit down.”

Mom took her seat at the table with her plate of asparagus. “You can always go get seconds.”

“He better leave some for me too,” Rachel grumbled from the hallway. She marched over to the plates, took one, and flopped into her seat. At the same time, dad appeared from the opposite side of the room and grabbed his plate and seat.

For a few minutes, the table was silent save for the sound of crunching and biting. I cleared my plate first as I usually did when I was home and got up to get more. I scooped up more casserole and asked, “So dad, how was your day?”

“A lot of paperwork to catch up on,” dad replied between bites. “I’ve still got the Jake case to work on down in Tucson and get litigation through with Fugu’s case.”

Rachel sighed at the conversation. “Do you ever even get to go to court?”

“I do,” dad contested. “And what about you? Did you do anything today aside from making your mother drive you everywhere?”

Rachel glared at my dad. I practically saw the sparks flying between the two of them as I took my seat. “Okay, mom only drove me to Sarah’s house , so you shut up on that point. As for what I did, I finished my homework and went to the mall with Sarah and Kelly.”

Oh shit. I nearly choked on the casserole in my mouth and had to grab a glass of water. When I’d recovered, Rachel had a devious grin on her face. “Surprised John? I would be to if I saw my big bro at the mall when he’s supposed to be recovering.”

My face became a rock to Rachel’s words. My mind was a different story and played out a very colorful scenario of me smashing the grin off Rachel’s face with a plate. To my chagrin, mom and dad had taken up interest in the story and bent their heads in Rachel’s direction.

“Your brother has a broken arm, why would he go out of his way to go to the mall?” dad asked.

“Why was he with a bunch of screaming brats?” Rachel asked back. Her eyes drifted over to me. “Have an answer for either of those, bro?”

“Aside from the fact that you’re crazy? No,” I replied with the coolest monotone I could muster. I raised up my hands and shrugged my shoulders to add to the nonchalant act. “You’re saying I went to the mall that has nothing interesting in it of my own volition and that I had a bunch of ‘brats’ with me. Twilight Zone episodes are more plausible than that.”

“Knew I should have taken a picture of you. I’ll laugh when you have to explain those girls to mom and dad and then the police.”

“Enough,” dad bellowed. “Rachel, say one more mean thing about your brother and you’ll be grounded.”

“Whatever.” Rachel pushed herself away from the table and flung her plate into the sink. Before she disappeared into the hallway, she glanced back at me with that same grin that always struck a nerve with me. “Have fun with your cutie mark whatever.”

“Idiot.” I shoveled the rest of my food down my throat without saying a word. The mall just keeps getting worse and worse.

I didn’t linger long at the table after that. Doug’s package and figuring out dinner for the Crusaders were the major issues right now. I’d need to figure out some contingency plans for dealing with Rachel, too.

Inside my room, I tore open the box to look at its contents. There were three U.S. passports, four tickets, and a single credit card. The outside of the passports had the same laminated cardboard feel that real passports would have. I flipped through Scootaloo’s passport and found that paper that made up the visa pages looked quite real too, they even had those cliched patriotic watermarks. The information pages also seemed in order, but they also felt a little slick underneath my fingers. A quick glance by a TSA guard wouldn’t raise any suspicions though, especially for a trio of little girls.

I placed Scootaloo’s passport or rather “Sandra’s” passport back in the box and pulled out one of the tickets and the credit card. The card had Doug’s name on it and certainly felt real. I pulled out my wallet and stuffed the card inside.

The ticket was a multi-stop ticket, but that was expected; Sky Harbor was never a big international airport, at least to my knowledge. The trip would be through Sky Harbor, LAX, and finally the Sydney Airport. Overall, it was a sixteen-plus hour trip not including layover time.

The date was printed onto the paper in large bold letters: April 24th, 2012. The initial flight was early in the morning too, which was good for us. It would be easier slipping out of the house earlier in the morning. Getting to the airport would be another issue. I’ll probably have to call up a c—

A pounding at the window broke me away from my plans. The quick rate of the pounding sent me rushing over to the window. I got a horrible case of deja vu when I threw the window shades open and was greeted with a panic-stricken Apple Bloom. I didn’t run out of the house this time, but my heart was still racing.

Author's Note:

"In this country, young girls are called 'shojou', so it makes sense that those who would become witches be called 'mahou shojou.'"- Kyubey