• Published 21st Jul 2016
  • 368 Views, 23 Comments

Anthology of Equinity - Sollace



Lots of stories, lots of little stories, big stories, thin stories, all kinds of stories! This is simply a collection of all my ideas that never make it to a full page, or simply aren't long enough to stand on their own.

  • ...
1
 23
 368

War Part 2

Author's Note:

This chapter exists as a minor continuation to Chapter 2: War. I dunno, just felt like exploring this world a little further.

The name "sarosian" can be attributed to this great masterpiece by Propmaster. I love your fic, man. :heart:

A rhythmic beat drifted across the landscape, caressing the barren rocks with its gentle melodic tune: a soft, thump, thump, thump of drums as the contingent of guards picked their way between rubble and scarred bones.

The generals, Celestia and her sister, Luna, stood at the head of the rag-tag group. Their gold and silver armour glinted in the afternoon sun, dented and beaten by the ravages of battle but still emitting an air of grace around them. Celestia especially; as the older of the two, she towered above her sister by nearly a foot, her prismatic mane tied into a bun only adding to her stature.

In the weeks since the ceasefire they had both agreed to stand together, stronger against the encroaching thread of the Discordian armada—a force they feared had yet to show its true form—yet nothing much had changed. They still heard the errant grumble from among their ranks, both on the side of the ponies, those who feared for their lives, and the fanged beasts of the night—The sarosians—that accompanied Luna’s troops.

Tensions were high. They both knew that, and even now, Princess Luna glanced to her sister with contempt. “Sister”— she practically spat the words—“How much further must we go? You have said time and again that these charms are within hoof’s reach, the same charms we had previously observed to be in your possession, why must we continue walking into the wastelands if there is nothing to find?”

Indeed there was nothing in the wastelands, nothing but death and misery. The scarred rock stretched out in all directions, nary the slightest landmarks not seen, nor even the faintest signs of life. She herself had passed through this several weeks ago with a contingent of nine hundred guards to reach her sister’s encampment. Twelve arrived.

“Patience,” said Celestia, “We are drawing near.” Her eyes remained trained on the horizon, her gaze unwavering as she watched for any signs of change. There was shimmer in the air, almost the familiar taste of copper—or ozone. She licked her lips. “We are drawing close.”

“But close to what, as we?” Luna stepped up beside her sister, drawing ahead by a few inches so she could glance out in font. Her eyes met the same old landscape, nothing but rocks, and sticks. Even the dark clouds of Discordian descent on the horizon seemed more interesting than this. “I see nothing, and we have patrolled this land countless times on our own. What say would be different now?”

Celestia smirked. For the first time in ages, she tore her gaze from the horizon, smiling as she turned to look her sister in the eye—a knowing glint in her own as they marched. “Before you were not with us.”

“What are—“

“Halt.”

Luna’s voice was lost in the din of metal clashing, and a loud commotion as the contingent of ponies ground to steady rest. Celestia, her hoof raised, looked back over her shoulder at the group of guard behind them. Each of them looked grim—too grim for her liking. Their ears were lowered, spears raised, and shield held ready.

It was their training, after all. She still hated it.

“We’re here,” said Celestia.

Luna huffed, pushing ahead of her sister and rounding on her. “And where is here?” she asked, steaming. “All I see is—”

“Here is here,” said Celestia. She stomped a hoof, adamant, then pushed her sister aside as she trotted past her. “As I have said multiple times, I will take you to the remaining Elements. If you cannot trust me now, in a truce, then there is no truce.”

Breathing a heaving sigh, Luna conceded. Her ears were flat as she sized up her sister, gritted teeth as she seethed. “Very well,” she said. Luna crossed her hooves. “The Lunar Alliance will follow with this ruse of yours for a little longer. But know that our patience with you is wearing thin.”

Celestia simply nodded, and in silence, lifted her horn to the sky. It glowed a soft yellow hue, and she whispered, “Good.” With a step forward, the air seemed to shimmer around her, and the barren plains suddenly seemed less barren, more hospitable.

A chill ran up Luna’s spine, and she heard the guards behind her clang their shields, a murmur of panic washing through them like a wave of uncertainty. Cool air grazed past Luna’s main, and she watched with wide eyes as her sister stepped into... nothing?

The plains vanished for a split second, as if the very air itself was a reflection on a pool’s surface, and Celestia was a stone sunk to the bottom. The sunlight flashed and rippled, dancing across Luna’s vision as her sister vanished from all existence, leaving nothing behind her but the barren wastelands of old.

“S- Sister?” Her stomach dropped as that wave of uncertainty reached ahead.She glanced around, hurriedly scanning the horizon where Celestia had been. “Sister?” She breathed. “Wh-Where are you? Where did you go?” Now growing frantic, Luna’s eyes danced over the rocks. Still nothing.

She couldn’t sense any magic at play, and especially not Discord’s. Though, anything of the sort could easily be masked.


She asked again, this time with trio of sarosian rushing to her side—their sudden move inciting protests from the ponies around. “Sister, please!” She was hyperventilating, “Where did you-where did you—“

“Don’t be so overly dramatic, Luna.”

Celestia’s voice drifted in from the voice. Like a ghost of the wind, it sounded distant, filled with echo. Luna’ snapped her head up, looking around. Teas rolled at the corners of her eyes, so she sniffed, and wiped them away with a hock. “Sister?”

The air rippled and split, revealing Celestia’s visage hanging in space. With it came a second wash of fresh air and the sounds of running water. She had a very clear deadpan look about her, but she remained composed as she addressed the group. “This way,” she said, and then pulled the doorway further open with her magic. “The Elements of Harmony can be found in here.”