• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 1,024 Views, 49 Comments

Super Dangan RonPonya: Set Sail for Despair Isles - Serenade-Stereo



Techno Blast and 15 others are forced to play a sadistic game that they've all heard of before from an incident a few years back. A game of life or death.

  • ...
5
 49
 1,024

Chapter 1: Class Trial - Part 1

Class Trial

All Rise!

They all took their places in a circle of stands that had been arranged for them by Monokuma. The trial room had been decorated with wallpaper that had smiles and happy faces all over it. He was trying to represent Smile but it hurt to look at them. The small pain in your chest that you would feel when you were reminded of something horrible or traumatising. That was the kind of pain that they felt. Techno looked around. He was closest to the elevator and clockwise from him, the order went: Clover, Clip, Paint, Memory, Rip, Swift, Pure, Smile's portrait, Bright, Boom, Aqua, Quick, Bud, Toxic and Laser.

"Alllrighty then! Let's begin with a brief explanation of the class trial!" Monokuma said. "First of all...your votes will determine the outcome of the trial. You will debate on various topics and vote for 'whodunit'! If you choose the correct culprit, then the killer gets punished along...but if you pick the wrong one...I'll punish everyone besides the culprit! Now...where to begin...?"

"Uuuuu..." Monomi whined, everyone now noticing she had been tied up and hanging above Monokuma. "Those are such cwuel rules!"

"I have a question before we start..." Everyone turned to face Memory. "Is the killer really among us...?"

"Ugh, every time..." Monokuma groaned. "Yes, the killer is most defiantly among you all, okay?"

"And what about that?" Bright points at the portrait of Smile with a bloody cross drawn over it. "What is its purpose?"

"Well, I didn't wanna leave him out just 'cause he's dead, y'know? So this is how I run things around here. Alright with you? Now that we've cleared that up...why don't you all start with...the murder weapon...?"

The murder weapon...so what was used to kill Smile...hmm...if he were here right now, he'd probably try to lift everyone's sprits by cracking a joke like...hey guys! Yellow statements represent a weak point. Blue represents a spot you can strengthen and green are statements that can be used to blast yellow statements! Why...why did I think he'd say that...? That's not funny at all! I'm getting side tracked as well! Murder weapon...murder weapon...

Non-Stop Debate

Evidence Bullets

-Paint's Account
-Television
-Cutlery Drawer

Quick- The murder weapon...what was it...?

Bright- This all depends on whether the head wound or the stab wound were the fatal blow...

Swift- My instincts as an attorney always say that the stab wound is more likely...

Pure- and that the head wound was post-mortem...

Clover- So does that mean that...the murder weapon was a knife...?

Boom- Yo' seems that way...

The murder weapon was a knife...? But doesn't that contradict something else...?

No, that's wrong!

They all looked at Techno, surprised by the outburst. "No, Clover...the murder weapon couldn't have been a knife..."

"It couldn't?" Clover asked in surprise. "Why not? It sounds right..."

"Whilst at first it may...but when you look through the cutlery drawer inside the kitchen, that theory goes out of the window. You see, Monokuma told Bright and I that all pieces of cutlery, every knife, fork and spoon were inside that drawer...but there were only butter knifes...I'd say a butter knife would be a rather inefficient weapon, wouldn't you?"

"Plus, the wound size doesn't match up with the butter knifes, so even if you sharpened one, it still couldn't have made that stab wound..." Bright added.

"Okay, so...what did the killer use to stab Smile then?" Clover asked.

"If it wasn't a knife..." Toxic started. "...Could they have used a makeshift weapon?"

"Makeshift?" Clip repeated. "What do you mean?"

"You know, use something else that wouldn't usually be a weapon, but could be turned into one."

"Before that." Bright chimed in. "I believe we should discuss the matter of that head wound...and what exactly caused it..."

"But just one look at the crime scene should tell you that." Rip pointed out.

"Even so..." Bright pushed up her glasses. "We can't be too cautious about this...we only have one chance after all..."

Non-Stop Debate

Evidence Bullets

-Television
-Cottage Condition
-Aqua's Account
-Black Shard

Bud- The TV was what made the head wound, yes?

Laser- It must have fallen on his head after the murder! Squish!

Clip- N-no need to be so graphic about it!

Memory- I don't see what the problem is...

Bright- Look closer, the TV may not be the weapon...

Boom- Huh...? What is that supposed to mean, eh?

Bright- ...

Is the TV the weapon that created the head wound? One of those possibilities goes against something else though....

No, that's wrong!

"Hold on, Bud...the TV may not be the weapon that created the head wound after all."

"It's not...?" Bud tilted her head.

"Oh for crying out loud..." Toxic grumbled. "Do you even remember what we were talking about in the cottage? About what was off about the TV?"

"Um...no, sorry..." She admitted with a sheepish smile.

What was off about the TV...? Could Toxic mean...?
I can prove it with this!

"Are you talking about the fact that the TV screen was in perfect condition?" Techno guessed.

"Yeah. If that TV had fallen onto Smile like that. The screen should not have been left undamaged." Toxic nods.

"Exactly...so we can easily say that the culprit must have placed the TV on top of Smile's corpse!"

Objection!

Swift slammed his hands on the stand. "Not so fast! We can't just say that for certain just yet!"

"Huh? Why not?" Techno asked, slightly thrown off by Swift's outburst.

"Care to hear what the Super Middle School Level Attorney thinks?" He smirked.

Rebuttal Showdown

Evidence Blades

-Dust
-Aqua's Account
-Boom's Account
-Television

Swift- The TV could have fallen by itself, don't you think? The culprit could have easily knocked it down when they were leaving the crime scene. There isn't exactly wrong with that.

Techno- But what bout the screen? It was in perfect condition!

Swift- Well, the TV could have just fallen in such a way that the screen didn't get damaged. Obviously...when the killer left....The TV fell and hit Smile!

He does have some good points...but there is one thing I wonder...

I'll have to cut through those words!

"No way. The TV couldn't have just fallen and hit Smile. There was a disturbance in the dust on the shelf the TV was sitting on but it was at the very back."

"The very back?" Swift repeated.

"Exactly, the TV didn't fall by itself, it didn't fall at all!"

"How can you say that, hun?" Clip asked. "Not doubting you or anything, just wondering."

"Well...there was something strange about the TV besides the screen...something the TV shouldn't have caused..."

"What do you mean?" Aqua asked. "You better not be bluffing about this or else this'll be a huge waste of time!"

"It isn't...the strange thing is..."
I can prove it with this!

"You see, the blood splatter on the wall is rather irregular for how the head wound is positioned..."

"You know what a normal head wound looks like?!" Rip asked, shocked.

"N-no! That's just what Bright told me!"

"It's true." Bright confirmed. "That is not a regular blood splatter, the TV should have blocked most of the blood that came from his head and there should have been a still visible splatter on the floor in front of the body. There is no way that the TV was used to create the head wound."

"Okay, now that that is cleared up...what now?" Quick asked. "I mean, sure we figure that out...but we still don't know what the murder weapon was..."

"Wow, I'm impressed you've been able to keep up with everything that's been said so far..." Aqua commented.

"Bud and I found a hearing aid down at the supermarket, thankfully." He smirked. "But back to the actual problem..."

"Quick is right..." Memory agreed. "We still haven't found a shred of evidence that could point us to the weapon..."

"Evidence...?" Bud repeated. "Oh! Um...I think I know something..."

"Really? Why didn't you bring it up earlier, eh?" Boom asked her.

"Sorry, I didn't think that it was relevant at the time. Anyway, I looked closely at the wounds on Smile's body...and I noticed that there were glass shards in this stomach...but not see-through glass, painted white glass..."

"Hmm...what ever that glass came from...that must be our murder weapon..." Toxic concluded. "Does anyone have any idea on what it could be...?"

White painted glass...? There was one thing that Bright and I saw that could be what we're looking for...wait...what was it again...? It'd on the tip of my tongue...

Hangman's Gambit

E T P S L A

It's all coming together!

"What about the kitchen plates? Those might be the makeshift weapon we're looking for!"

"Kitchen plates...?" Pure seemed confused but intrigued by the proposition. "Go on..."

"Well...first of all...those plates are painted white...and they are made of glass...second, the plates actually have a rather special feature...they're very thin."

"Thin?" Toxic raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, we all know what happens when you throw a plate at someone, right? It breaks. Combine that with the fact that the plates are thin, by using a shard of the plate, it would be like using a knife...the murder weapon we've been searching for the entire time...have been the kitchen plates!"

I'm already two miles ahead!

"Wait, wait, wait, wait! So just because the plates are thin, that means that they're the murder weapon? I don't think so!" Quick interjected.

"Wait, why not?!"

"Because, it's not a solid argument yet!"

Rebuttal Showdown

Evidence Blades

-Paint's Account
-Boom's Account
-Clover's Account
-Aqua's Account

Quick- Just because the plates are thin, that doesn't make them the murder weapon! I'm sure there's something else on this island that's painted white and is made of glass...why can't something like that exist?!

Techno- Because there's no evidence of anything else like that existing!

Quick- So? There's no supporting evidence besides that shard of glass! Are you gonna base your entire assumption on circumstantial evidence?!

I never expected Quick to be so...smart...but there was a hole in his argument just now...

I'll have to cut through those words!

"Hold on, Quick. There is a reason other than the glass shard that Bud had found. Paint told Bright and I that when she and Boom were cleaning the dishes, there were twenty plates...but now after the murder, there are only nineteen...one of the plates went missing. Where do you think it went?"

"It's true, right Boom?" Paint asked the brown unicorn.

"Huh? Oh y-yeah! I guess...I didn't really pay attention to the numbers, see? Unlike P-Pallet here...she's freakin' OP, I'm tellin' ya!"

"Don't refer to me as 'P-Pallet'."

"Whatevs!" Boom smiled.

"Alright, so now that we established the murder weapon. What's next on the list?" Memory asked.

"How about we talk about the crime scene a bit more?" Rip suggested.

"That's a good idea." Clover seconded. "We need to know how exactly the killer got in..."

"Hmm..." Clip twirled his scissors. "Not really sure the relevance...but alright..."

Non-Stop Debate

Evidence Bullets

-Cottage Condition
-Smile's Wrist
-Black Shard
-Smile's Cottage Lock

Rip- How did the culprit get into the cottage...I think it's important that we know that.

Bud- Maybe...they forced their way inside?

Toxic- Could Smile have let them in?

Memory- Maybe the culprit didn't even need to do anything...the cottage was already accessible

Rip- I wonder...

Boom- Dude, we'll never figure that out!

How did the culprit get into cottage...? Well...there was something that shows it...

I'm in agreement with you!

"It's just as Memory says. The culprit already had access to the crime scene before the murder. Remember what Smile had mentioned a few times throughout the day? What Laser did?"

"What I did?" Laser looked at him. "Well...I pulled a few pranks on him but I don't see what you're referring to..."

"I'm talking about in the morning, you broke the lock to his door, didn't you?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah...I guess I did..."

"So the reason Smile died...is because of the broken lock?" Quick asked.

"Wha-wha-what?!" Laser yelped. "I was the reason Smile died?!"

"No, you weren't, the killer had planned to break into Smile's cottage, they never knew about the broken lock." Techno interjected.

"Huh?" Pure folded her arms. "But, Smile had mentioned it several times, how did the culprit not know? Did they simply forget about it?"

"Most likely..." Bright nodded. "And evidence of them trying to break in...tell them, Techno."

Am I her servant or something...? But, either way...there was definite evidence of someone wanting to pick the lock...
I'll prove it with this!

"When Bright and I were investigating...we had found this black shard that was in the water under the duckboards that the cottages rested on. This was most likely intended to pick the lock on Smile's cottage. When they realised it was already unlocked though, they disposed of it quickly..."

"Y-yo, where'd you find that, eh?" Boom asked.

"It was...under Toxic's cottage..."

"Hmm?" Toxic's head whipped around, his gaze piercing through Techno. "My cottage? Are you trying to say I'm the culprit?" His gaze turned into a glare. "I can assure you that I am not the guilty one among us."

"Yo...TD, no offence, but it does kinda make some sense..." Boom says.

"Actually, it doesn't...." Toxic contradicted. "If I was the culprit, why would I put the shard under my cottage? If someone found it, I'd be incriminated right away. It's more likely someone else put it there to make me seem guilty."

"Uh..." Swift thought for a few seconds. "Yeah, that seems plausible..."

"Well...if we're talking about suspicious people..." Memory starts. "...we should probably discuss alibis..."

"Well I have a few things to say 'bout that!" Boom says.

Non-Stop Debate

Evidence Bullets

-Monokuma File 1
-Paint's Account
-Boom's Account
-Smile's Black Box
-Clover's Account

Boom- I've been thinking...since the murder took place durin' night-time...everyone that didn't turn up for the sleepovers becomes a suspect!

Pure- But the only ones that didn't turn up...were Aqua and Paint.

Aqua- D-don't start with me! I never killed him!

Paint- Ditto here...I never left my cottage...

Boom- Yeah right! You guys are the only ones that didn't turn up!

Boom does have a point...neither Aqua nor Paint were at the sleepover...but there is something strange...

No, that's wrong!

"Boom, aren't you forgetting about what it says in the Monokuma File? The murder took place at 9:50 pm...that's before night-time began...Paint and Aqua aren't the only ones without alibis!"

"Y-yo...you serious...? Everyone...is a suspect...?" Boom paled.

"It does seem that way..." Bright pushed her glasses up.

"Then there's only one option left!" Pure's face brightens. "It's time for 'Operation: Destroy the Weakest Alibi'!"

"The what now?" Clover tilted her head.

"It's what some attorneys and prosecutors use to eliminate potential suspects. It's perfect for this!"

"I agree. Let's do this then!" Swift smirked. "Destroy the weakest alibi is a go!"

Non-Stop Debate

Evidence Bullets

-Clover's Account
-Aqua's Account
-Paint's Account
-Smile's Wrist
-Cottage Conditions

Pure- Alright, let's hear everyone's alibi!

Techno- I don't really have a solid alibi...but I was just wandering around by myself...

Paint- I was in the kitchen with Boom from 9:55 to 10:10

Boom- I was already there though, I couldn't kill Smile and get to the kitchen before Paint-sy...that's impossible

Bud- I was with Quick, Toxic and Clip the entire day

Memory- Rip, Clover and I were with each other at around 9:50...so we couldn't kill Smile...

Aqua- Well, I was in my cabin the entire day...aside from when I left at 9:25 but I was back at around 9:35

Swift- And...Pure and I were with each other as well...

Toxic- So the only ones without real alibis...are Techno and Bright!

Bright- Feh...

Pure- Then Operation: Destroy the Weakest Alibi was a success!

Hold on a second...one of those alibis doesn't match up with what she said...

No, that's wrong!

"Wait a second, Aqua! You weren't in your cabin after 9:35! Clover told me indirectly about that!"

"What the hell are you talking about you little white shit?!" Aqua glared at him.

"Clover went to her cabin at 9:30 and stayed there for a while, but she hear anyone come or go from the girls side of the cabin. So where were you after 9:30?"

"Urk....!" Aqua bit her lip.

"That fact that she lied is suspicious..." Swift commented. "Techno was honest about his alibi...so why weren't you?"

"Nrr...." Aqua clenched her fist.

"Tell us, Aqua! Where were you?!" Pure pointed at the fashion designer.

"I said wait a GODDAMN minute!!!" She gave an outburst. "I'm not the fucking killer you half-wits!"

"Oh yes, all these insults are defiantly making us think the same." Bright remarked.

"You shut up too, four eyes!"

"Petty insults...if you aren't the culprit, then prove it..."

"Prove it...? Alright, I'll fuckin' prove it...you remember the black shard you all found? What about what it was before it became that, you don't just find convenient black shards lying around, do you?"

"Well, you could always find something like that at the supermarket...right?" Swift looked at Bud and Quick.

"There were a few things that could become a makeshift lock-pick...not sure what exactly it was though..." Quick tells them.

"Just had to get a hearing aid, didn't you?" Aqua grunted.

"I have to say that I'm on Aqua's side..." Toxic folded his arms. "I don't think she's the killer..."

"Then what about her lack of an alibi?" Pure asked him.

"Maybe she was doing something private that she doesn't want others to know about..." He suggested.

"Hmph..." Aqua closed her eyes. "I was looking around central island...and I do in fact have an alibi...Monomi?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes! I saw Aqua at around 9:45 passing by one of the bridges on central island!" Monomi informed them.

"Why the hell didn't you say anything before?" Bright asked angrily.

"I'm sowwy, I forgot about it...it's hard to remember some things when you're focusing on two things at once..."

"Two things at once?" Swift repeated.

"She must mean the renovations and whatever she was doing at Central Island, right?" Memory asked.

"Cowwect!" Monomi confirmed.

"Finally. When I was coming back from the restaurant which was actually around 9:40...I saw Smile pass by me...that's everything I know, use the information as you may..."

Updated Ammo: Aqua's Account was updated.

"But now that, that was cleared up. What do we talk about now?" Rip asked.

"Let's talk about what must have happened when the killer entered Smile's cottage..." Paint suggested. "There may be a clue waiting in there..."

A clue at what happened to Smile from discussing the events of what happened inside the cottage...I wonder...

[/

Non-Stop Debate

Evidence Bullets

-Cottage Condition
-Smile's Wrist
-Missing Black Box
-Television
-Dust

Paint- What happened inside the cottage...? We need to establish that...

Memory- Well, we know the killer didn't have to break in...the door was already unlocked

Rip- Smile must have already been in there...and came face-to-face with the culprit...

Clip- Yeah...then Smile must have been killed...without a fight...

Swift- Is that all there is to it...?

Pure- Aside from the television...I think we covered everything

The culprit went into Smile's cottage...and simply killed him...? Is it that easy...?

No, that's wrong!

"Clip, that isn't true, Smile must have fought with the killer. He had bruises on his wrist, suggesting that something had hit him or maybe the killer gripped his wrist tight enough to leave the mark."

"Oh wow, I can't believe I got to be the victim of Techno's logic..." Clip turned away.

"Ignoring him..." Toxic muttered. "What are you saying, Techno? The culprit had fought with the victim?"

"Well yes...but that would contradict with something else..." If the killer fought with Smile...something is defiantly out of place...
I can prove it with this!

"The cottage was far too...clean as well...it wasn't disturbed in the slightest aside from the TV."

"Huh...? But...does that mean the killer fought with Smile...or didn't he...?"

"That's just the thing, Clover..." Memory bit his lip. "This entire thing about a fight...it could change a few things...if we pick the wrong one...we lose the killer...this is probably his trap..."

A trap...? Techno looked at everyone. A trap laid by one of us...? The true killer...who are they...? Who killed Smile...?

Trial Suspended!

Author's Note:

Okay, now I can explain something else. If you want, you can change your vote for who you think the culprit is, but if you do and you're wrong but the original guess is correct, then you are marked as incorrect.