• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 1,024 Views, 49 Comments

Super Dangan RonPonya: Set Sail for Despair Isles - Serenade-Stereo



Techno Blast and 15 others are forced to play a sadistic game that they've all heard of before from an incident a few years back. A game of life or death.

  • ...
5
 49
 1,024

Chapter 2: (Ab)Normal Days Part 2

"A....A Changeling...?" Techno stood, mouth agape by the information. One of the thirteen around him was secretly a changeling. "That...that can't be true..."

"Oh really...? Well, here's the evidence." Monokuma produced a small folder. "The Changeling's student profile!" He threw it on the ground in front of everyone. Bright was the first to move.

"Let's see then..." She opened up the folder and checked the information. Her eyebrows furrowed as she scanned the paper. "Hmm...Enterna...the second name is scribbled out but it looks like it starts with an 'S'. She was the 'Super Middle School Level Luckster'. Her family had ran away from Cheerag and have been living in Canterlot ever since...2005...it says she has a rare changeling ability that lets her change to a form of even the opposite gender. That's something a normal changeling couldn't do. She also has this blue eye-patch."

"So wait...if that exists...where the hell are the rest of the student profiles...?" Clip asked.

"Upupupupu..." Monokuma chortled. "I have them in my possession because, naturally, the student that is disguised was an identity created by Hope's Peak Academy that the changeling has agreed to use. Talent is fake too. If you got your grubby hands on the profiles then it would be obvious who the Changeling is."

"Why would the Changeling need to hide who they were?" Swift asked.

"Well..." Clover spoke up. "It's still illegal for Changelings to live in some areas of Equestria. Canterlot is supposed to be making it legal soon though if I remember the news before we were trapped in here."

"So, I have a question." Toxic raised his hand slightly. "Why exactly is this a motive for murder?"

"Oh, because if any of you kill the changeling among you." Monokuma's eyes sparked red. "You can save someone from death if you win at the class trial..."

"So, wait. If someone got away with killing the Changeling, someone else gets to leave the island?" Quick's eyes widened.

"That's correct~!" Monokuma chimed. "So if there is anyone you think is worth saving and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, find that changeling and let 'em have it!"

"So not only will you be planning on exposing someone's secret, you also want that same student to be killed? Do you know where the line should be drawn?!" Bright gritted her teeth.

"Pfft! Yeah right, I would do anything to see the despair in your eyes. In fact...I can already see it in the Changeling's eyes...it's such a deep despair~" Everyone looked around to see if they could notice the 'despair' that Monokuma mentioned but everyone seemed the same. "It's not like you guys would be able to notice it...unless the despair really spiralled out of control...upupupupupupu!" And with one final laugh, the bear disappeared.

The class stood in deafening silence, nobody wanted to speak about what they had been told. Someone here was lying to the rest of them, even at that point they were lying about who they were.

"Has...anyone been wondering this...?" Clover broke the silence. "Why does Monokuma want us to target the Changeling specifically....?" Bright shook her head at the question.

"I don't think he wants us to target them per se...but he thinks it's a way for us to begin to doubt each other and he's right because." She fixed her glasses. "We are unable to judge someone without knowing who they really are. Their past, their family, their goals...their true identity...all we have is how they present themselves in front of us."

"Nobody knows what happens behind closed doors..." Memory sighed. "Unfortunately, I see your point. Even so, that won't stop us from working as a team to make sure we all survive. None of us want a repeat of last time..."

Yeah... Techno flinched at the memory. I don't want to see someone's life thrown away like it was nothing.

"What do you think they was thinking in their final moments...?" Clover asked weakly. "Smile and Boom...I wonder..."

"Smile must have been terrified and just wanted to fight for his life..." Clip stared at the ground. "And Boom...he must have been the same..."

"Or..." Toxic folded his arms. "Boom was seeking forgiveness in his final moments with Smile's spirit..."

"Forgiveness...?" Clover repeated.

"Must have felt a hell of a lot of remorse for his actions and wanted to have Smile's spirit forgive him for what he did. Not like it would have worked."

"Do you have to be a douche about everything?!" Pure snapped.

"If someone killed you, would you forgive them in the afterlife?" Toxic simply asked her.

"W...well..." Pure rubbed her forearm. "I...suppose not."

"You put killers away for a living and you actually had to think about that question. Ghosts don't forgive. Fact."

"How would you know, you some kind of spirit medium?" Quick chuckled.

"Of course not. I'm just saying that it seems logical that if someone took your life then you naturally would never forgive them for it, no matter the situation." Toxic explained.

"True." Memory bit the inside of his cheek. "Hey, Clover, why did you ask that anyway?"

"Huh?" Clover seemed caught off guard. "What do you mean?"

"Why did you ask what we thought Smile and Boom were thinking in their final moments?"

"Because...t-thinking about the scenes we've seen made me wonder...I...I think I just need to be alone for the day." Clover walked off shakily.

"Poor Clover." Rip said sympathetically. "She seems really distraught about what happened more than anyone else."

"It seems that way..." Bright commented. "Everyone...I think we should disband for the day. Some of you will most likely try to suppress any urges and I know there will be those that do have those feelings but do not submit yourself to Monokuma's incentive. Just because this file is here doesn't mean that this student is real."

"No" Techno cut her off. "That student does exist." Some of the students gave confused looks.

"What the heck do you mean?" Aqua asked slightly annoyed.

"Well, I remember in my letter of acceptance into Hope's Peak, it had listed some of the other students that would be attending and one of them was the 'not yet selected Super Middle School Level Luckster' and wasn't that Changeling student listed as the SMSL Luckster?"

"Hmm...I had no idea that she was mentioned in your letter. Interesting but even with that, we won't listen to it. We can't sacrifice others for our own personal gain."

"With a plus one." Paint reminds. "Just saying..."

"Paint, not helping." Quick grumbled. "But, from what I heard, we defiantly have no clues to who it is, right?"

"None that I can think of..." Swift frowned. "And they aren't gonna show themselves anytime soon because of that."

"Obviously, who would?" Laser pointed out. "But seriously, all this is seriously hurtin' my head. I'm gonna head back to the cottages..." She gave a small wave as she walked off, and after a small standstill of awkward silence, one-by-one, everyone did the same.

One of us is really that Enterna girl, it could be anyone as well is what is really troubling me. Why are they hiding their identity as well? Since they're on this island then they shouldn't have to hide who they are. What's her reasoning behind it? Enterna...who is she really...? Is she dangerous or is she a friend...?


Day 3

Everyone sat in the restaurant as usual, now in silence. It was like two days ago where nobody dared to talk. The tension was high between everyone and the distrust in the air was thicker than the oxygen. Everyone turned as a chair squeaked and Clover stood up.

"Oh, s-sorry that was a little loud, wasn't it?" She apologised.

"Where are you heading off to?" Clip asked curiously.

"I'm going to see if there's any gardening equipment at the store, it relaxes me..." She explained.

"Well, do you mind if I come with?" Quick asked. "I need to get a battery for my hearing aid."

"I'll help you with looking for one again." Bud volunteered. "I still remember where I found them so it'll be a lot easier."

"What?" Quick looked at the yellow Pegasus.

"Never mind, let's go." The trio left the restaurant. There was another squeak of a chair.

"I need to go as well. There's more on Second Island that I want to check out." Swift stood as well.

"Same here." Paint added. "Rip was curious about something as well, weren't you?"

"Oh, yeah but that was on Central Island so I'm gonna head over later." Paint and Swift shrugged before heading off.

Everyone is so busy and then there's me who just sits in their cottage and doesn't help anyone in any way at all. I'm useless...

"Hey, Techno." Memory nudged the colt, snapping back into reality. "You want come with me to check something out?" Techno paused before giving a small nod.

"Great, let's head over quickly." Memory stood, leading Techno off.

Where are we going...? Techno thought nervously.


Techno looked around, Memory had taken him over to the library on Second Island.

"So..." Techno started awkwardly. "Why did you call me over here...?"

"Well I know the thought of me killing you crossed your mind on the way over here..." Memory half-chuckled. "But I'll reassure now that, that isn't why I wanted you to come with me. I needed your help looking for some files."

"What kind of files...?" Techno looked around a random bookshelf.

"Files on that serial killer Toxic mentioned. Black Viper." Techno turned around in surprise. "Just kidding." The inventor rolled his eyes. "I'm actually wanting to study up on Changelings."

"Why? Because of the motive?" Techno guessed. The blue unicorn nodded.

"Yep, I feel like that the more we learn about Changelings, the easier it'll be to figure out who the Changeling student is. Oh!" Memory took a few books and files out of one of the shelves. "Alright, shall we have a small study session...?" He smiled, setting the books down on top of one of the tables. The two sat opposite each other and began to read through the files.

"Hmm..." Memory hummed. "Listen to this. 'The native land to Changelings is known as Cheerag. Cheerag is known for it's brutal laws and punishment for breaking them, most being death penalty and because of this. Changelings always attempt to immigrate to the other four regions of the world: Grasslands, Badlands, Gryphonia and Equestia. Unfortunately, due to Cheerag's reputation for declaring war upon the other regions, it is illegal for Changelings to live in most places outside of Cheerag."

"So do you think that Enterna and her family moved here because of how bad the lifestyle in Cheerag is?" Techno asked.

"Most likely, it's not uncommon and it's becoming even more likely ever since places like Baltimare, Amareica, Prance and Fillydelphia have now made it legal for Changelings to live there."

"Hmm..." Techno looked at his book. "Well, it looks like Changelings can change into ponies, zebras, gryphons and even diamond dogs but not dragons. Though there is a condition that allows Changelings to become dragons as well. Whilst they can change their appearance, they can't hide anything like cuts, bruises or scars on their body."

"Enterna's profile didn't mention anything about injuries though. Trying to figure out who she is with that information is most likely not possible."

"I guess not..." Techno grumbled.

"So have you been wondering why she had been concealing her identity from the very beginning as well? Since we've been on this island, I mean?"

"Yeah. It's weird, right?"

"She must have some reason, like a paranoia of sorts. Most likely cause by the Changeling attack on Canterlot a few years back. That worsened the Changeling reputation and just made it less likely for the laws for Changelings being able to in Equestria to be passed." Memory leaned forward. "Speaking of which, what's Ponyville's opinion on it?"

"Huh...? I'm not really that sure." Techno admitted. "I don't really keep up with those sort of things but ever since the first incident of Hope's Peak they've been thinking about letting Changelings live in Ponyville legally. There are probably some living there already though."

"Oh, for sure." Memory nodded. "Trottingham is the same..." The two were silent for a few seconds before Techno spotted something in the book.

"Look here. It says that unlike ponies, Changelings can't produce their own magic and have to harvest it through certain emotions such as love or embarrassment a pony would feel. Due to their unstable magical abilities, Changelings leave behind something called Mana Residue which is like blood but luminol won't make it appear, you need....'Manatite' which is similar to luminol but has a slightly different chemical formula."

"Interesting." Memory rubbed his chin. "We should keep that in mind and ask Toxic if he could make some for us. We could spray some on things that the unicorn students had picked up with their magic and see if we find Mana residue on it."

"You do realize that you're a unicorn, right...?" Techno smirked.

"Well I'm not Enterna..." Memory grinned slyly. "I'll gladly prove it." The two gave a small laugh as the doors to the library opened with Bud panting at the door.

"We...have...a situation..." She breathed. "The...mental institute, quickly!" She sprinted off. Memory and Techno exchanged a sceptical glance before rushing off after her. The two sprinted over to the mental institute and threw the doors open. Bud and Clover were stood in the lobby both white as Techno.

"What happened?!" Memory yelled. Clover pointed shakily over to the door with 'East Wing' above it.

"D-down there...f-first door on your left..." She stuttered out. Memory barged through the doors, Techno right behind and the two stopped in front of the door. They hesitated before giving each other a worried glance.

"S-surely....it couldn't have..." Techno looked to Memory for some reassurance but the unicorn just looked at the door and the two walked in.

Time then seemed to stop just like last time.

In the center of the white padded room, in a pool of his own blood. The Super Middle School Level Attorney, Swift Justice laid there, his chest seemed to have sank downwards and there seemed to be drag marks in the blood.

"S-Swift...?" Techno wobbled before collapsing to the ground, his fingers landing in the blood. "N-no...he couldn't be..."

Swift...you aren't dead...you can't be, we haven't-

*Ding dong, bing bong!* As if on command, the jingle played out.

"A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time for investigation, we will all hold a class trial so use the time wisely!"

No...no no no no! NO! Why the hell is Swift dead?! He may have pushed those away that had angered or offended him and he may have been slightly air-headed at times but he was honest and knew what was the best decision to make for everyone...why did someone kill him?!

Author's Note:

Pretty short chapter, I will be the first to say it. I did not have a lot to put into this aside from possible suspects from before the investigation. Also, forgot to mention before that if you get the identity of the Changeling correct you will get a shout-out in the authors notes, same goes for identifying the killer so happy investigating!