• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 5,148 Views, 148 Comments

Twilight's Human Boyfriend - Songbrony



In an attempt to get away from home and see a different world, I moved to Equestria. A lot of humans have recently, so it's not unusual for me to be here. While I'm still getting used to talking horses, I never thought I would actually fall

  • ...
30
 148
 5,148

Chapter 10

I woke up as the sun light shone on my face. I covered my eyes as I opened them, trying to protect them. "Morning already?" I said to myself. I sighed. The sun had just risen over the horizon. I thought. I stood up and stretched my aching limbs from the hard ground. I picked up my bag and walked towards town. I really didn't know what I was going to do since Twilight kicked me out, but I really wanted to talk to her about it. I really just wanted her to hear me out. But I wasn't sure if she would even want to listen to me.

I walked through town thinking things over. I figured I should go eat something first and then head over to Twilight's. I wouldn't be able to think straight if I was hungry. I made my way into SugarCube Corner to get myself a morning muffin. Mr. Cake was at the counter as he handled the morning shifts at the counter while the others were in the back baking.

"Hey Brendan!" he said with a smile. "The usual morning breakfast?"

"Hey Mr. Cake. And yeah that sounds good. How ya' been?" I asked him.

"Not bad. Had to work double shifts since Pinkie's been busy with whatever Pinkie does." he said, taking one of the muffins out of the back.

"Doesn't she have to show up to work though?" I asked.

"She does, but she's in for an hour, finishes up everything she has to do, and then leaves. No idea why she does it. It's unlike her." he said.

"Unlike her to finish her job quickly?" I asked.

"No, that she leaves the bakery so suddenly afterwards." he clarified. "Here you go, on the house."

"Are you sure?" I said as I reached for my bag that had my sad collection of bits.

"Of course." he said.

"Well thank you." I replied with a smile. "I hope you have a great day."

"You too, Brendan." he replied.

I walked out of the bakery taking a bite out of my muffin. Chocolate. God I forgot how much I loved chocolate. I took another bite before taking a soccer ball in the head. I fell on my back. Hard. I opened my eyes in a daze and it seemed like the buildings around me decided to start doing a little dance.

"Son of a..." I started to say before I felt my head send out a pain that felt like a baby was being born out of my ear. I saw a figure standing over me. It looked blue. Or red. I don't really know what it looked like. There was just an array of colors flying over me.

"You okay dude?" I heard a voice say.

"I think you need to have better aim." I said as I pushed my hands to my temples.

"Look, Brendan, get up. You've taken worse hits to the head than that." she said.

"Yeah...usually I'm able to prepare myself for the blow before I receive it." I said, trying to stand up.

"Woah, woah, easy there buddy. I admit you've taken harder hits, but you're acting strange. How's the head?" she asked.

"Sunshines and rainbows." I told her.

"No, that's just my mane you're seeing." Rainbow Dash said.

"You know, maybe next time you could play soccer where there's a field..." I said, able to sit up just a tiny bit.

"Dang, it got you good. The field is really over to the left just a bit." she said, motioning over. I turned my head, which made the pain worse and saw the goals that were put up just a few months ago. "Oh. Well damn." I said.

"C'mon. Let's get you up. Maybe Twilight can help." she said.

"Oh yeah...about that..." I said.

"I know, I know, the whole falling out thing. Everyone knows." she said.

"Oh fantastic." I said, slamming my head into the floor. I let out a slight groan as I realized my mistake too late.

"Feel better?" she asked sarcastically.

I tried to raise my hand and just show what I wanted to say, but the searing pain in my head was killing me.

"Alright, alright. Look, you've probably got a concussion. So hitting your head back on the floor was the stupidest thing you could've done." she said. "C'mon. Up ya' go." she said, giving me a few pulls to get me back on my feet.

"Careful!" I exclaimed, pinching my eyes shut and putting more pressure on my temples.

"Look, I know I'm doing a lot of things I probably shouldn't be doing, but we gotta get to Twilight's. She's probably got a spell that can relieve the pain." she said.

"I'd rather go to a hospital." I said.

"Alright, I guess that does it. You've gone crazy saying you want to go to a hospital. How hard did it hit you?" she asked.

"Remember when you crashed after attempting one of your new tricks last month?" I reminded her. "Imagine that. But about ten times worse." I said.

"So yeah, you've gone crazy. Twilight's going to have to do more than just fix a concussion." she said. We slowly made our way through town towards the library. Each step just made my head hurt more than anything else.

When we reached the library, Rainbow knocked on the door. "You know she's not going to be happy to see me." I said.

"Yeah, well, you're having a medical emergency. She can suck up whatever misplaced hatred she has for you and help you out." she said. We heard footsteps and I felt my stomach drop. Twilight came to the door and smiled when she Rainbow Dash. Then she saw me and her face went from a happy smile, to a glare of hatred.

Yeah, she's still mad. I thought. "Twilight-" I started saying before Rainbow Dash cut me off.

"Dummy here decided to take a soccer ball to the head. He has a concussion and he needs some help." Rainbow said.

"Did the ball put some brain matter back into place?" she asked.

"No, but it did make him heavier." she said.

She rolled her eyes. "Come in." she said and moved out of the way.

We walked in and they sat me down at the kitchen table. Twilight grabbed a glass of water and set it in front of me. "So..." Rainbow Dash said, trying to break the awkward tension between us.

"Rainbow can you watch him? I need to grab some things." she said walking out of the kitchen.

"Uh, sure." she said.

After Twilight left I let out a sigh. "She's more pissed off at me than I thought possible."

"Really? I thought she handled it better than expected."

"Are you nuts? Did you see how she looked at me? That was just pure unadulterated hatred." I said.

"Ah, she'll be fine. Don't sweat it." she said.

"You do realize that I destroyed her relationship with Phil right?"

"No, you didn't ruin it. You just told her how you felt. Phil's the one who over reacted." she said.

"You're her friend. Shouldn't you be mad at me for ruining something she had? And why did you all even want me to get with her anyways since she was with Phil? Aren't you all supposed to be for her happiness?" I asked.

"Why do you think we wanted you two together? You made her happier than Phil ever could." she said.

"And now she isn't happy at all. She doesn't have me, she doesn't have Phil-"

"Okay, so I just need you to be still so I can cast this spell. Since I'm dealing with a head injury, I need you to concentrate as much as you can." she said.

"Right because I'm able to concentrate with this pain." I said.

"You'll be fine." she said.

I sighed. "Okay. So what do you need me to do."

"Just be still, look at me, and concentrate." she said.

"Will do, Doctor." I said looking at her.

Her horn let out a soft purple glow and I felt a tingle in my head. "So...mind reading?" I asked.

"I don't want to know what's going on in your mind. And even if I wanted to, a spell that does that requires both participants to want the spell to happen." she explained.

"Then what's the point in the spell if the other person knows?" I asked.

"Focus." she said, slightly annoyed.

I stayed quiet while she worked. The pain wasn't in my head anymore, but I still felt fuzzy. She stopped the spell and walked away. "That it?" I asked.

"Yep."

"My head still feels a little...foggy." I said.

"That's because I only removed the pain. I left the fuzziness there for you." she replied.

"Why?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Because I felt like it."

"Are you still that mad at me?" I asked.

"Oh of course not." she said, taking a drink of her water. "So, Rainbow, how hard did you kick the ball into his dense skull?"

"Well I was on the other side of the field and I was trying to get a goal." she said.

"Usually you're supposed to pass the ball to someone who's closer to the goal before you take a shot at the net." I pointed out.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe she could have kicked it a tad bit harder and knocked you out." she said. "Might have saved you the trouble of coming here."

I stayed quiet. I know she was royally ticked off at me, but I didn't know what to do about it. "Well, I'll let you two catch up. You know, gotta get back to my game." Rainbow Dash said.

"Wait, where are you-" I started saying but she ran out of the kitchen. I heard the door close and my heart sank. I looked to Twilight who was still glaring at me. "Uh...so...how ya' been?" She didn't say anything. I had to look away from her stone cold glare. "Look...Twilight you can't blame me-"

"Why not? You did it. You...made me try and choose. You made me doubt my relationship with Phil." she said.

"I didn't do it on purpose...I...I couldn't just...keep lying to myself and you." I said.

"Why not? You were doing it so well before hand."

"Well yeah but I just couldn't..." I tried to say. "I just couldn't keep it up."

She stopped looking at me and looked down at the floor. "Brendan...Phil's leaving..." she said shakily.

"Yeah...he told me." I said.

"When did you two talk?" she asked me.

"Yesterday. At the bar."

"Brendan you shouldn't drink."

"I didn't go there willingly. Rainbow Dash brought me there." I said.

"Of course she did." Twilight said.

"He overheard me and her talking and he decided to talk to me about if what you felt was true. He told me his sister was battling cancer and his brother was joining the military. His family is going to want someone to be there." I said.

"I know I know...I just wish that things could have ended better." she admitted.

"Yeah...me too." I said. We didn't say anything for a few minutes. I knew she was thinking of something, but I didn't want to press her on it unless she wanted to. "So, how's Spike?" I asked.

"He's fine. Misses you a little bit, but I've been keeping him occupied with some books." she said.

"Books? He hates reading. Unless it's a comic book." I pointed out.

"Well...I gave him Death Note..." she said.

"Really? Why?" I asked.

"Because of the moral implications it brings up. It's a lesson he needs to understand. Even those with good intentions can cause horrible consequences." she said.

I swallowed. I had a pretty good feeling she meant what I had done. "I, uh, don't think that's the main thing it's supposed to try and teach." I said.

"I know. But... It's something he can learn from. I mean, he's more mature than he let's on." she said. "And also because it's a really interesting read."

I smiled. I knew she'd love it. "So, who would you side with?" I asked.

"L and Near. I don't agree with their methods, but they were fighting a criminal who needed to be beaten. And, well, they did." she said.

"Oh I don't know. Being the god of a new world seems like a pretty cool idea." I said jokingly.

"Right, because you could do what he did." she said.

"Yeah you're right. My upbeat moral standing wouldn't allow me to kill anyone. Well, maybe a genocidal maniac, but nobody else." I said.

She chuckled. "I'm sure you would." she said.

"Well this is a start." I said.

"Shut up I'm still mad you." she said.

"I know. But even if we can't be together and even if we can't be as good of friends as we used to, at least we won't be resenting each other right?" I said.

She looked at me with a light smile. "Brendan..."

"Look, no matter how much I want to be with you, it won't matter if you hate me." I said. "I'm going to go. Let you think about it and whenever you feel ready, talk to me." I said, standing up and turning to leave.

"Brendan wait." she said, walking over to me. I turned to look back to her. "I have been thinking about it. Ever since yesterday it's been all I think about. I don't know how to feel." she said. "I mean...I know how I feel...but I don't know if I should feel like it. You and Phil...you two were the most important people in my life. And I lost you both in one day. I can't...I just can't help but feel guilty. I pushed you both away, you more than Phil."

"It's alright. Just..." I stammered. I just want you to forgive me. To be friends again. To let me win you back. I thought.

"Brendan...I love you. And not like I did Phil. Phil was...he was a nice guy. He was great. But there was just something that I felt like would keep us from being completely happy. There was always something that bothered him. But with you...you joked, you were easy going. You never seemed to be too upset with anything that happened. I know we did some things that you weren't interested in, but you didn't complain. You found something to enjoy out of it. I could be myself. I know Phil tried so hard to make things work...but I just don't think they would have down the road..." she explained.

"Then why were you angry at me when Rainbow and I got here?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm still ticked...and I don't know if I want to be with you anymore...but...I just wanted you to know all that." she said.

I nodded my head and smiled. "Well...I'll let you keep thinking. And when you're ready, come and talk to me."

"Will do." she said and gave me a small smile. I walked out of the library and headed towards the soccer field. I knew that it probably wasn't the best idea, but you know what, I wanted to play a game of soccer, and possibly get Rainbow back for the head injury.

She'll be fine. She'll probably decide what she wants in the next few days. I thought. I walked to the field and when I arrived, I took another soccer ball to the head.