• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 5,148 Views, 148 Comments

Twilight's Human Boyfriend - Songbrony



In an attempt to get away from home and see a different world, I moved to Equestria. A lot of humans have recently, so it's not unusual for me to be here. While I'm still getting used to talking horses, I never thought I would actually fall

  • ...
30
 148
 5,148

Chapter 8

I woke up to find myself alone in the bed. I looked outside to see the sun was just barely showing above the horizon. "Twilight?" I said as I rubbed my eyes. I crawled out of bed and yawned. I walked out of her room, wandering where she had went. I wandered into the kitchen and found her sitting there with a cup of coffee. "Good morning Twilight." I said, kissing her on top of her head.

"Morning." she said. I sat across from her at the table. She looked like she was sad. Or mad. Or both.

"Everything okay?" I asked her.

"Brendan...We shouldn't have kissed yesterday." she said.

I looked at her quizzically. "What do you mean?"

"We shouldn't have kissed." she said, taking a sip from her coffee. "It wasn't right."

I thought about it and it felt right to me. But I think I knew what she was going for. "Is it because of Phil?" She nodded her head. I leaned forward and took deep breath. "Twilight....You know how I feel about you, and I know how you feel about me." I said. "I've felt like that for quite some time now. And nothing would make me happier than if I could be with you."

"But I can't leave-" she started but I interrupted her.

"I know, I know. You can't leave Phil because you love him too." I said. "Twilight, in all honesty, I don't think Phil deserves you. I don't. He doesn't share your interests like I do. He doesn't talk to you about things that interest you and he doesn't want to do what you want to do." I said.

"Brendan, you know that's not the case. He told me that you two talked at the hospital. Saying how he thought he was compromising by doing the medical museum thing. He's already promised to start doing more of my things and being more open to what I think about. It's just, he had to deal with three different patients who were undergoing some sort of surgery due to a food item they ate here. Something gave them a severe allergic reaction and caused something in their abdomen to expand. We don't know what it was, but he was having sleepless nights and constantly trying to get those patients back to health before other complications arose." she explained.

"And on top of all that, if he found out we kissed...well I don't know what he would do. He doesn't look too kindly onto cheating." she said.

I sat there silent for a little bit. Phil didn't seem like a violent person face to face, but I didn't know him like Twilight did, so maybe certain things made him blow up like with me. "Do you regret it?" I asked.

"I...I don't know. I've been wanting to kiss you for awhile, but I never did because I was afraid. And now...I don't know. I want to kiss you again now...but I can't keep betraying Phil like that." she said. "Ever since I woke up, I've been going over it in my head. I feel guilty about it, but I want to do it again." she said looking at me.

I stood up and kneeled next to her. "So do I."

She leaned in and kissed me hard. When she pulled away she smiled. "If it makes up for anything, you're the better kisser." she said.

"One point for me." I said, smiling.

She looked down smiling. "I really don't know what to do. I have to tell him about this." she said.

"That might not be a good idea. Remember what you said about him finding out? We don't know how he'll react." I said. I was a little worried he would come after me. I mean, I'm not necessarily a violent person, but if someone did what I just did, then yeah, I might get a little aggressive.

"Well then what should I do?" she asked.

"Just...go talk to him and see who you want to be with more." I suggested. It was the only thing I could say. I wanted her to be with me but I also wanted her to be happy.

"What if I choose him?" she asked looking back to me.

I took a deep breath. "Then that's okay." I said.

She leaned in and kissed me again. We heard footsteps coming from the library and quickly pulled away from each other. I went to the fridge and Twilight returned to her drink acting like nothing happened.

"Morning Spike." Twilight said as he walked in.

He yawned. "Good morning." he said, taking a seat at the table. I took an orange juice out of the fridge and set it in front of him. I'm not sure why I did. "So how was last night?" he asked

"Fine." she said, looking at me. "I'm going to go to the hospital and see how Phil is doing." she said, getting up to leave.

"Alright." I said. I heard the door close behind her and I swore I felt Spike staring at me. I turned to look at him.

"Sooo?" he asked.

"What?"

"How did the date go?"

"Oh. It was, uh," I hesitated. I really couldn't tell him what Twilight told me. He was just a baby, and Spike was...well, Spike was Spike. I'll leave it at that. "It was good. I didn't tell her about how I felt, I chickened out at the end, but I think it'll be okay. I'm taking her out someplace else next week." I lied.

"Aw rats. Okay, well at least you got another date out of her." he said. "I'm going to go finish reading my comics." he said, taking his juice with him.

I sat down in a chair and sighed. Knowing Twilight, and how bad of a liar she is when put under pressure, she'll probably end up telling Phil what happened. And then, he'll either go after me, or break up with Twilight. She'll feel guilty, hate me, and then it'll all spiral down from there. She may even try to get me kicked out of Ponyville. I thought. "She's going to hate me." I said to myself as I let my mind wander on what could possibly happen.

There was a knock on the door that broke my thoughts. And thank God whoever it was did. I had started thinking about end of the world stuff. I walked back and opened the door to see Applejack was standing there. "Oh, hey AJ. What's up?" I asked.

"Hey Brendan. Nothin' really. I need some help taking apples over to the shops and was wonderin' if Twilight or you wanted to help?" she asked.

"Well, Twilight's at the hospital with Phil. He had a heart attack yesterday from overwork." I told her.

"Is he alright?" she asked.

"He'll be fine. He doesn't have any other medical conditions yet, so I'm sure he'll be out soon." I said. "I can still help you though." I said.

"Okay. It'll take a few hours since I have so many and, well, you're not necessarily the strongest person to take a whole cart of apples down to the store." she said.

"I'll be fine. I need to get out anyway. My mind has been racing all day." I said, closing the door behind me.

"What's makin' your mind go all out of whack?"

"Just stuff. I've been stressed out lately." I said as we walked towards Sweet Apple Acres.

"Is it about your little crush with Twilight?" she asked teasingly.

I stayed quiet for a little bit. "Well...yeah. Actually it's about a lot of things dealing with Twilight." I said.

"Well what's up?" she asked.

"I...may have...messed up something with her and Phil." I said beating around the bush.

"You kissed her?"

"Uh...yeah."

"She loves you?"

"Yep."

"Loves Phil, too?"

"Yep."

"But she doesn't know who to pick and is afraid of hurting either you or Phil and you told her to pick whoever made her happy but now you're not so sure because you feel like she might pick Phil because his life is together?"

"Um...yeah pretty much." I said.

"Well for pony's sake, Brendan, you're twice the man Phil is!" she exclaimed.

"Thanks, Applejack, but I honestly don't feel like it. He's got the job, the ability to support her, the ability to take care of her. While I don't." I said, suddenly feeling very down.

"Look, I don't know what it's like back at your home, but here, it's not all about money and who can support who. It's about who makes you happy." she said.

"She was perfectly happy with Phil before hand." I pointed out.

"And has she been happy recently with Phil?" she asked.

"No, but that's because she didn't know how to feel about liking both me and Phil at the same time." I said.

"Are you sure? I know Twilight and she don't seem like the kind of pony to have that sort of issues with relationships." she said.

"Have you ever seen her in a relationship before? I thought she was very reclusive before she came to Ponyville and even then never had a real date with someone." I pointed out remembering my first few days hanging out with Twilight and her friends.

"Good point." she admitted. "But what I'm trying to get at is that she'll make the right choice. If it were up to me, I'd have to choose you." she said.

"Well thanks." I said. I still didn't feel any better, but at least she was trying. We walked up to the fence of Sweet Apple Acres and began piling the apples into the carts. Big Mac kept bringing more and more from the orchard and I began to wonder if the orchard was just an endless void of simply apple trees.

"Alright, these two are full. Ya' ready?" she asked.

"Yeah." I said grabbing the two rods that stuck out of the cart that were usually meant to be attached to a saddle or something. "So how far is the store?" I asked.

"All the way on the other side of town." she said as she began walking.

I tried to follow her but only moved a few inches. I pulled harder and moved another few inches. Oh boy...this is going to be a long day... I thought.

I pulled the cart behind her, and once we got onto some gravel roads, the wheels actually started working and didn't get stuck in the mud or other dips in the grassy roads. I pulled for what seemed like hours and when we finally got to the store, I thought my arms were going to fall off. "Ya' doin' alright, SugarCube?" she asked me.

"Yeah." I huffed. "Just...peachy...." I said trying to catch my breath.

"You really are out of shape." she said chuckling. "It's only a 15 minute walk."

I gave her the bird and she couldn't help but laugh. "C'mon. They've got some drinks inside for us." she said. I followed her into the store and was relieved that this was one of the few stores to have put in an A/C unit since humans started living here.

"Hey guys!" I heard Rainbow Dash call on the other side of the store. I looked over to see her and Fluttershy walking towards us. "What's up?"

"We just brought over the apples for the store. Brendan helped out, which is why he's huffing like a sick dragon." Applejack said. I glared at her. I wasn't that out of shape, but I was more of a sprinter and running athlete, not an upper body athlete.

"Really? Brendan out of breath? I've only seen that after a hard game of soccer." Rainbow Dash said.

"He had to pull and hold an apple cart from falling down a hill on the way here." she said. Halfway through our journey we had to go downhill, and while a pony may be able to hold the cart back with their stiff back, my flimsy arms didn't want to do that and wanted to give way. It nearly killed me.

"Maybe we can help bring the carts back." Rainbow Dash offered.

"That would be great." I said, finally catching my breath.

"Let me get some of my animal feed first." Fluttershy said.

"Okay that's fine. We were about to get something to drink since sweaty mcthirsty over here can't hold a cart to save his life." she said, with a smile.

"Last time I help you with a chore." I said.

"No it ain't." she said.

I chuckled. It was true. I probably would end up helping her again. But not with apple transportation. We got our drinks, which were disappointedly bland, and made our way back to the orchard.

"So, what happened with you and Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah, what's up with you two? Twilight's been very dodgy about it when I ask her." Rainbow chimed in.

I told them what happened and how she had been feeling.

"Ah, don't worry about it." Rainbow Dash said.

"Why shouldn't he?" Fluttershy asked.

"Because she's obviously going to pick Brendan!"

"Umm...but why? I mean, no offense, but he doesn't really have anything to offer other than making her happy. And while that is good for now, what about down the road and they run into financial issues?" Fluttershy mentioned.

"That's a load of hooey. Do ya' really think the Princess will let that happen?" Applejack said.

"Just because she's her student, doesn't mean she can disobey the law. Yeah, the Princess may be able to pardon it once or twice, but after awhile, it just shows favoritism and I don't think that would work well. It would lead to resentment towards Twilight if it came off like she could do whatever she wanted without fear of being punished." she said.

"But that's not the case here!" Rainbow said. "He does have a job and he is trying to get a few extra bits for a house."

"Rainbow, if I didn't constantly spend it on recreation and hanging out with Twilight, I'd probably have enough for one now." I admitted.

"And what's wrong with having fun?" she asked.

"When it's supposed to be for a place to live, it's really not smart to spend money on fun." Applejack said.

"Look, can we not talk about this? I'm already stressing enough about it, and the talk about not having a house isn't helping." I said.

"Hehe, sorry." Rainbow Dash said. "But seriously! Don't worry about it!"

We walked back to the orchard, this time with Rainbow Dash carrying the cart. I didn't feel like killing my arms again, this time going uphill. "So, Rainbow Dash, when do the Wonderbolts return to Ponyville?" I asked.

"Not for awhile. They're looking for ways to incorporate humans into their flying routine. They'd be flying side by side with the Wonderbolts. Lucky jerks if you ask me." she said, obviously miffed about the whole thing.

"I'm sure it's just a way for us to merge our cultures together." Applejack said.

"Doesn't mean ponies will like it." I said.

"Who cares what those kind of ponies think? They're all stuck up anyways."

"Couldn't agree more." I said with a smile.

After we returned to the orchard, we all helped her finish a few of the chores. With all of us working on it, we finished at around mid afternoon. Rainbow Dash had to prepare for a weather job tomorrow and Applejack was beat. I walked FLuttershy back to her cottage since she had to take care of her animals. "I hope Angel doesn't get too overworked about me being slightly late to feed him." she said.

"He'll be fine. He can go an hour without eating." I said.

"Maybe. But I hate him being uncomfortable." she said.

"You spoil him too much."

She chuckled. "Maybe. So, about you and Twilight? Um, I know you said you didn't want to talk about it, but...why did you?"

"Why did I what?"

"Kiss her? I mean, you knew she was with Phil, so I guess I'm just confused as to why you kissed her." she said.

"Well...I really didn't know what else to do. She had told me how she felt, and I was at a loss for words. I just did what I thought I had to do." I said. "I mean if I didn't, I don't think I'd have a chance with her."

"Maybe. But I don't know. It just seems low." she said quietly.

"What do you mean?"

"Um...like...forcing her to choose between you two...it just seems unfair to her." she said.

"How's it unfair?" I asked. "I don't think it's fair to either of us if she likes us both but won't choose one of us." I said.

"Perhaps. But you wouldn't have known about it unless you tried to get a date with her." she pointed out.

"Or I'd find out later."

"Brendan, I think you're a great guy, but I'm not sure if Twilight will be able to choose between you two. I do think you're better for her, but Twilight might feel guilty about it and then regret choosing whoever she chooses. And if she chooses you, she may resent the fact that you forced her to choose. Same with Phil, if she chooses him." she explained.

We walked in silence for a little bit. She made some good points. I didn't mean to force her to choose, but maybe if she did she would hate me. Then I would lose a good friend. And even if I didn't lose a friend, things would be different between us. I sent the thought out of my head. I didn't want to think about that. Just in case it did happen.

We arrived at her cottage and Angel was laying on the front porch. "Looks like your drama queen is alright." I said.

She picked him up and cradled him. "He'll be fine after I give him some food." she said. "You're not mad at me, are you?" she said. The rabbit shook his head and hugged her. "I wasn't talking to you Angel." she said looking to me.

"What me?" I asked. "Why would I be mad at you?"

"For everything I said earlier about Phil and you. And about what could happen if she chooses one of you."

I shook my head. "No, Fluttershy. I'm not mad." I said. Fluttershy was one of the few ponies here that I could never get mad at.

"That's good. I hope everything works out for you." she said. "I'll see you later."

I left and began my walk home. It was a good 10 minute walk, but that was fine. I liked being alone after a time like that. Too much socializing made me enjoy my alone time even more. As I walked through town I saw numerous ponies out with their families. It reminded me of home. We didn't really go out much, and when we did it was usually for dinner. We didn't talk too much about what we did, we didn't hold conversations, but they were still family and I enjoyed their company. Even if my sister got on my nerves more than anything else.

I arrived at the library sooner than I thought as I remembered my home. I opened the door and walked in. As I closed the door behind me, I was met with a fist in my face.