• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 5,148 Views, 148 Comments

Twilight's Human Boyfriend - Songbrony



In an attempt to get away from home and see a different world, I moved to Equestria. A lot of humans have recently, so it's not unusual for me to be here. While I'm still getting used to talking horses, I never thought I would actually fall

  • ...
30
 148
 5,148

Chapter 13

After a few days of being left in the hospital, I was glad to finally get out. Twilight stayed with me the entire time, regardless of how many times I told her to go home and get some sleep on an actual bed. She refused, saying that she wanted to be close to me. I couldn't really debate against that. I still couldn't believe what had happened at the Gazebo. It was a shame that someone had to ruin a perfectly nice day and turn it into something awful.

"How are you feeling?" Twilight asked me.

"Better now that I'm out of that place." I said.

"I know you don't like hospitals but it's going to be okay." she said. "You're going home."

We walked towards the library, unfortunately having to pass by the Gazebo to get there. I looked around the area and was amazed by how many human authorities there were here. "I'm glad they found the bastard." I said.

"Me too. I really hope he gets the strictest sentence there is." Twilight said.

"The Equestrian Council going to deal with this? Or are they sending him back to his homeland to face trial?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. The Princess said they were in discussion about what to do with him and how to handle incoming humans so that this doesn't happen again."

"I hope he gets capital punishment. For Phil's sake." I said.

"We'll see." she replied quietly.

We walked for a few more minutes before arriving at the library. We walked in and I took a seat next to the horse statue in the center of the room. "Is there anything I can get you?" Twilight asked. "I know your chest still hurts. Do you need anything to eat or drink?"

"No, thank you. I think I just need a nap. I said, yawning. The medicine I was given to help heal my wound made me drowsy, and I swear it could knock a manticore on its ass with one pill.

"Okay. Let's go to bed." she said, walking over to me.

"Actually I'll be fine here." I said, pushing the button on the statue. The roof turned into a clear dome and I hit it a few times so I could watch the universe from start to finish. I laid down on the floor and just stared at the ceiling. It was calming and relaxing. Twilight laid down next to me, putting her head on my good shoulder.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'm more concerned about you." I said, running my fingers through her mane.

"I'll be okay. I'm just glad you're safe...and here with me." she said.

"I know but...after Phil...." I couldn't finish the sentence. 'This isn't right.' I thought.

"Brendan...can we not talk about that..." she said, fighting back tears.

"Yeah...I'm sorry..." I said. We watched the light show above us in silence.

There's one thing that doesn't make sense though. I got a call on my phone. I haven't had a charge or even signal since I started living here. So how was someone able to get ahold of me from a phone? I thought. And who was it? I could hardly hear them and couldn't make out a word they were saying.

"What are you thinking about?" Twilight asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Just about something that happened at the Gazebo." I said. "I received a phone call from someone. I don't know how or from who, but I did. I wasn't able to make out what they were saying, but it's been bugging me." I said. I looked down to her and there were some more tears in her eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I've been trying to fix your phone so you could make calls back to your home. I figured you'd want to talk to your parents again and get to hear their voices. Were they able to hear you?" she asked.

"I don't know. I hope not. Otherwise...they'd just hear screaming and gunshots. I hope they didn't hear that." I said.

"Do you still have your phone?" she asked.

"No I lost it in the commotion at the Gazebo. I dropped it and I'm pretty sure someone crushed it as they were running from the commotion." I said

"Oh...I'm sorry." she said.

"We've been saying that a lot to each other recently." I said with a light chuckle. "I'll write to them and see how they're doing and if they heard anything. If it really was them." I said.

She scooted up and placed her head in the crook of my neck. I felt her breathe against my neck and I pulled her close. "I love you." she said.

"I love you too." I replied. We stayed silent before falling asleep under the stars of the Universe.

***

I woke up a few hours later with Twilight still sleeping on my chest. I gave her a kiss on her head before I slid her off of me very carefully. I picked her up and carried her to her room and tucked her into her bed. She hadn't been sleeping well the past few days and I wasn't going to let her get another bad nights sleep.

I carefully closed the door and walked back to the library. I sat down and just stared at the floor. I was still trying to process certain things that happened. A part of was thankful to be alive, but another part of me wishes that I could have done something for Phil. Protected him. For Twilight.

There was a knock at the door. I ignored it at first, but after the third or fourth time I stood up and answered it. I was shocked to see the Princesses standing there. "Hello Brendan." Celestia said to me. "Are you feeling well?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah. Better now." I said. "What, uh, what can I help you with?" I asked, stepping to the side so they could both enter.

"We have some news regarding the Gazebo attacks." Luna said. "Some good, and some bad."

"Well, let's start with the good and sugar coat our way to the bad." I said.

"Firstly, we have the suspect in custody and are prepping him for trial." Celestia said. "Secondly, we figured out how he obtained the weapon. It was slipped in from the Griffon Kingdom's black market. We are working with their government so it doesn't happen again.

"Okay. Good. What kind of punishment is he going to get?" I asked.

"That's not up to us. He's being tried by your government with witnesses and testimonies from the victims here." Luna said.

"is that a good idea? I mean I know you need witnesses to provide a guilty verdict, but humans over there...they aren't like the ones who come here. They're very judgmental and many don't think you guys...well sentient. They view you as animals with weird powers that can't be explained. I can guarantee you that you're going to see a lot of aggression. If they don't understand it they get scared." I said.

"You don't seem to think highly of your people." Luna said.

"It's not that...I just know what they're capable of and how they can overreact." I said.

"Well we hope that this will take care of some of our differences and help open trade and improve relations." Celestia said.

"Well, any more good news? Or is it time for the bad?" I asked.

The two sisters looked at each other and Luna gave a light sigh. "Unfortunately, due to the public outcry and fall out from this attack...the Grand Council has decided to place a temporary ban on humans entering Equestria and deport those that are living here." she said quietly.

"What?!" I exclaimed before remembering Twilight was still sleeping. "What do you mean?" I asked, lowering my voice. "They can't just do that, can they?" I asked.

"They've labeled the attack as a terrorist attack, and gave it a class 5 priority. The voices of those who don't like humans are not the majority of Equestria, but they are loudest and most determined. However, once the trial is over and if everything goes well, humans should be allowed back into Equestria." Celestia explained.

"And if it goes bad?"

"Then it may take a long time for us to reach an outcome that would allow your species to return." Luna said.

I looked down to the floor. "And there's absolutely nothing you can do?" I asked.

"The only thing we can do is grant immunity to a few humans. We would like to keep the human scientists and doctors here to help with our society, however," Celestia said, "I know how Twilight feels about you. And I'm offering to grant you immunity from the deportation."

"Why are you asking me instead of Twilight? I mean, after Phil...I don't know if she'll want to keep me around with all those memories of him." I said.

"While Twilight may be my sister's pupil, we understand she's experiencing a great loss. While my sister wanted to ask Twilight directly, I made the suggestion to speak with you and make the decision be up to you. You're a rational human and we believe you will make the right choice." Luna said.

"There are both positives and negatives to both choices. Neither are ideal, but we are only able to grant a few immunities." Celestia stated.

"But why me? I'm just a normal human living in a library. That's not really something to be proud of and it would be a waste of an immunity." I said. "You could use it to keep a highly experienced doctor or scientist and have them help you guys prevent another event."

"While that is true, they would be stationed in Canterlot, out of the general public eye. You would be here in Ponyville, living with the ponies around you peacefully, showing that it is possible for us to live together in harmony. And your relationship with Twilight, while slightly unorthodox, would be a great boost in the public eye. It would show that not all of you are brutes who are out to harm others." she said.

"But also remember that the medical staff and scientists would be of great significance to both your species and ours. Your doctors could help us battle diseases we can't combat, and your scientists could boost our technology and help us find ways to improve our national security." Luna stated.

"So I either stay and try to improve the views of humans by being with Twilight, or I can leave and keep an extra doctor or scientist to help your country." I said, clarifying.

"In layman's terms, yes." Luna said.

I sighed. "I'll think about it. I'll see how Twilight feels in a few days and I'll have Spike send you a letter when I've made a decision."

"Make sure you don't tell Twilight about this conversation. This is your decision, and as much as I trust Twilight's judgment, love can blind one. Especially when experiencing a loss." Luna explained.

"Don't worry...I won't say a word to her." I said. I didn't want to hide this from her. This would affect her too. She would have lost both the people she loved back to back. Can I do that to her? I thought.

"Good luck Brendan. I'm certain that you will make the right choice." Celestia said. They turned and walked out of the library and I closed the door behind them.

I looked to the stairs that led to Twilight's room. Why am I having to make this decision? I thought. If it's that important, why leave it to me? I walked up to the room and saw Twilight had shifted a little bit. She was still sleeping peacefully, and I knew that I couldn't leave her. Not after Phil. But I couldn't let a doctor or scientist get sent away because I was selfish and wanted to stay.

I pulled the chair out from the desk by the window and sat down. I noticed the scrapbook was on the table. I opened it up and looked through the memories and past. There was one with Pinkie Pie throwing a welcome to Ponyville party, back when my hair was long. I chuckled a little. That party was the most I had partied since my going away party from my first workplace.

I turned the page and saw the picture of me imitating Spike as he played with some dolls from her brothers wedding. The picture next to it showed him surprised and trying to hide the dolls. The next page was of me trying to beat Applejack in a race. I lost by a mile and a half, but she has four legs while I only have two. I was out of breath and she was running circles around me.

The next few pages were shots of me and the others hanging with Twilight. But towards the end of the scrapbook, all the pictures were just of me and Twilight. There was one of me sleeping with my mouth agape and Twilight making faces as she lowered a bowl of water onto my face. The next picture was of me gasping for air and making the ugliest face as Twilight laughed. I smiled as I replayed the memory in my head.

I saw a picture of us talking over breakfast about something and another where I was helping Spike after a tower of books fell on him awkwardly. He wasn't crying in the picture, but I remember a few tears when the camera was away. It was a massive pile of books that I'm surprised didn't hurt him worse, but dragons are hard to injure I guess.

The next page was of us. Just sitting together, her face bright as could be. Her eyes gleaming with happiness. Even one where I was sleeping and she kissed my cheek. There was another one of us just cuddling and a few more of just us hanging out. I flipped the page and saw the day we went to the Starswirl the bearded exhibit. There was a note below the picture. "The day I realized what he meant to me." I said to myself quietly.

I smiled. It was a good memory. One of my favorites. The next page was empty, except for a little post it note. "For when it's asked." I said to myself. What does that mean? I thought. I looked over to her and saw how cute she was. I smiled and closed the scrapbook before walking over to the bed. I crawled in next to her and held her as she slept. She shifted and turned to me in her sleep, placing her head in the nook of my shoulder again. I swear I could see a small smile on her face.

I kissed the top of her head. I don't know what to do. I thought as I felt myself slowly drift off to sleep.