• Published 17th May 2014
  • 6,047 Views, 366 Comments

Less Than Chaotic - TheTalentlessPony



Discord adjusts to his new life after the events of "More Than Trust." He just wants to live peacefully with Fluttershy, but can a spirit of chaos truly live in harmony?

  • ...
11
 366
 6,047

Less Than You

Discord stood outside the door to Fluttershy's cottage, his chest heaving viciously as he tried to catch his breath. He was gasping for air, his legs sore and his throat dry. The run had made him completely exhausted, and he hadn't seen a trace of his chaotic energy the entire way there.

He grabbed the fence to stabilize himself, panting loudly and sweating profusely. He was strong, for sure, but speed and sprinting weren't his specialty.

He pushed off that concern for later though.

Looking over at the door, his eyes widened slightly as he noticed that it was cracked open. Usually, he would put this off as the work of one of Fluttershy's animals, but the earlier events had made him tense and uneasy at the sight.

He wasted no time, putting aside his exhaustion as he pushed the door open. Instantly, his eyes locked onto the yellow pegasus lying on the floor, her eyes closed and her mane sprawled out amongst the wooden floorboards.

He rushed over to her side as quickly as he could, lightly shaking her in hopes of getting a reaction of some kind.

"Fluttershy! Fluttershy, wake up!" he said, his words demanding, but his tone betraying it by sounding desperate.

At first, she did nothing, almost as if she was a lifeless corpse. Discord felt his breath hitch in his throat, his hands quickly reaching towards her heart to search for any sign of a pulse.

Tell me... tell me he didn't—!

Instantly, relief sunk into his tense bones as he felt the beat of Fluttershy's pulse. Upon pulling away, the pegasus began to stir, shaking her head tiredly before opening her eyes.

"Mmm?"

She blinked, as though her vision was blurred. Discord sighed in relief that she was awake, and she turned her head to him.

"Discord? ...You're back?" she asked.

The draconequus nodded, smiling weakly.

"Of course I am!" he said in his usual cheery voice. Suddenly though, his tone dropped to one filled with concern. "What happened?"

Fluttershy stared down at the floor, then slowly stood up. "I... don't remember. I was looking for Angel, then I heard the door open and—"

She flinched slightly, but didn't seem to acknowledge it. "...then, nothing."

Discord gazed at her sympathetically, looking back towards the door warily.

She glanced at him, tilting her head. "So, where were you?"

He jerked his head to her, having not expected the question. "Why do you ask?"

Fluttershy's gaze became a little more tense. "I was just curious. Can't I ask?"

"No, no, that's not it," Discord replied, waving a hand dismissively. "I needed to go see Twilight at her castle."

"Oh..."

The pegasus glanced downwards, lightly moving a corner of a nearby rug with her hoof. "...For what?"

He raised a brow. "It was just a matter that needed to be dealt with; a suspicion that needed to be satisfied."

Fluttershy nodded slowly, her teeth becoming visible as she bit her bottom lip uncomfortably. "...Something important?"

He tilted his head. "You're asking a lot of questions, darling Fluttershy."

"Is that a bad thing or something?" she asked, her tone becoming somewhat aggressive.

Discord's mouth dropped slightly. "No, no! It was important, alright? Yes, it was important!" he replied.

Truthfully, he had been suspicious of her actions the moment she had gotten up. However, he decided to play along for now. She wasn't harmed at very least; he was sure. His earlier fears had been alleviated, so he remained calm.

For now.

"So what were you doing then?" Fluttershy questioned, tilting her head.

"I was... checking on something," Discord responded hesitantly.

"I thought you said it was important. Is it too important to tell me?" she asked, pouting slightly as she gazed at him.

He shook his head. "That's not it at all! I just—"

"—You don't trust me..."

"No!" Discord interjected, his tone going sour almost instantly. This clearly wasn't Fluttershy - he was certain of that - but just the sheer fact that his own chaotic energy (he assumed that's what it was) was taking control of her and trying to convince him that she didn't think he trusted her...

...and expected him to believe it!?

Why couldn't you take over one of the ponies in Ponyville who tried to knock me unconscious?

"I trust you more than anyone, Fluttershy," he told her, having discarded the usual 'darling' for the moment.

"How can I believe that?" she asked, lowering her gaze. "Twilight's such a better pony than I am. I bet you—"

"—NEVER."

Discord stood up abruptly, almost glaring at the pegasus. If only chaotic energy had a neck to strangle...

"Fluttershy, are you alright?" he then asked, swallowing slightly as he tried to keep his cool, not wanting to seem aggressive.

"...Yes. I'm fine," Fluttershy replied, nodding her head. Discord didn't buy it for a second, but casually shrugged anyway.

"If you say so."

He paused, then looked downwards as he noticed two animals - a squirrel and a chipmunk - fighting beside Fluttershy's hind leg, probably wanting attention. Fluttershy had a lot of animals, so they naturally fought for her love at times.

The yellow pegasus blinked, noticing Discord's gaze. Slowly, she turned her head and eyed the two animals, her eyes flashing a foreign emotion that Discord couldn't quite recognize.

"Sally. Ray. You two are always fighting for my attention, aren't you?" she asked, watching the two continue to squabble.

Discord crossed him arms, watching as Fluttershy made very minimal effort to break the two up. She mostly just stared at them.

"Oh! Ray! Sally! Please don't fight over me like this! I'll spend time with both of you, I promise! Just stop fighting!"

Those words never came like they usually did. Discord huffed, earning Fluttershy's attention.

"Are you going to stop them or not?" he asked, his Discord-y tone gone completely.

She tilted her head, frowning, then looked back at the animals. She slowly reached out to touch them, but stopped at the last second.

"...hehe...heh..."

Discord sharpened his gaze immediately, watching the yellow pegasus suddenly begin to roar with laughter.

"Come on now! It's too much fun to watch them at work! Place your bets, why don't you?" she asked, trying to hold back small fits of giggling.

He frowned, shrugging. "I'm willing to bet that you're terrible at holding up this act," he replied.

Instantly, the pegasus went back to pouting, her tone changing into a much darker and sinister one. "I won't deny that; not the best idea to possess the pony that you know so well."

She brought her hooves up, slamming them into the floorboards, which broke under her strength. Slowly, the room became distorted, all of the animals fading from sight as Discord found himself on rocky ground; he recognized it as the place where Tirek and Twilight had fought.

'Fluttershy' looked at him, her eyes slowly turning a strange yellow. The cheerfulness left them completely, and her irises turned red. The only other place that Discord had seen anything similar was in a mirror.

"I guess you realize that I want you out then," Discord said, pointing at the yellow pegasus with an aggressive expression.

"Oh, I do want out, believe me," the fake told him. "However, I can still use this mare's body for my chaotic feats. Only a few before it becomes too much for her, but she'll get the job done nicely. If you had just agreed, this wouldn't be a—"

"—Don't pin this on me," Discord interjected. "Besides, if you want me so bad, then come get me."

He held out his hand, giving a taunting gesture to the imitation.

The pegasus glared at him, clearly insulted. "Fine then! Have it your way!"

Discord prepared himself as he was charged at, watching Fluttershy's wings flare out in frustration. However, he smiled, holding out his arms as the pegasus jumped at him.

He caught her, and she squirmed in confusion.

"W-what!? Wait, you were supposed to—!"

"I'm here to reclaim my Fluttershy."

"I can't change that, but I can assure you that it won't happen again."

"Silly Fluttershy. You know as well as I do that roses have thorns."

The pegasus squirmed as a sudden memory rang in her head, her forelegs going to her head as she groaned.

"T-this doesn't make sense! You should've been knocked unconscious the moment I touched you! How!?"

Discord smirked. "You said it yourself; it was a bad idea to take over my Fluttershy's body. She'd never be able to hurt me, and thus... you can't either."

She glared at him, though quickly smirked back. "Alright then. Be that way! I'll just have to deal with you elsewhere."

Discord blinked, looking around as he watched his surroundings fade to white.

The mind-verse. Of course. The only place his chaotic energy could have a physical form.

He glanced back at Fluttershy, then gasped as she fell limp in his arms.

"Fluttershy? Fluttershy!"

A voice called out from behind him.

"She'll be just fine for now; merely out of it."

Discord turned, glaring at the ball of chaotic energy behind him, which slowly copied the draconequus' form, just like before.

It grinned wide.

"You stay right there. We're going to have another talk. And I think you're going to listen to me quite closely this time."