• Published 17th May 2014
  • 6,044 Views, 366 Comments

Less Than Chaotic - TheTalentlessPony



Discord adjusts to his new life after the events of "More Than Trust." He just wants to live peacefully with Fluttershy, but can a spirit of chaos truly live in harmony?

  • ...
11
 366
 6,044

Less Than Powerful

Fluttershy trotted along the path in Ponyville, Discord walking alongside her while holding a large scroll and quill.

"Basket?" the draconequus asked.

Fluttershy nodded her head, a picnic basket draped awkwardly around her neck. However, nothing was currently in it, so she wasn't overly concerned about it. "Check."

Discord checked the basket off the list, his eyes lowering to view the next item on it. "...Flower?"

He grew confused, wondering what they'd need a single flower for, then turned to Fluttershy, instantly taking notice of the slightly-wilted white rose on her head, which was placed delicately in between her mane and ear. "Is that...?"

Fluttershy looked downwards, her cheeks turning a tinge of pink. "Check!"

Discord cleared his throat, forcing his gaze away from Fluttershy as he marked off the flower from their list. He directed his attention to the next item, which had a small color-coded list under it, detailing different flavors. "Cupcakes?"

"We're heading to Sugarcube Corner to get them now," she replied, her wings flapping a bit with cheerfulness.

"Sooo... half a check?" Discord asked, a teasing grin on his face.

Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth, as if thinking about it, then nodded. "Half a check."

He smirked, placing a tiny line in the check box before gazing further down the list. "Alright, so the next item on this list iiiiis... Discord."

Fluttershy blinked, looking over at him. "Discord? You Discord? You shouldn't be on the list."

He placed a hand to his chest, pretending to be insulted. "Isn't the point of this list to mark down all the important things we should have for the picnic? Am I no longer important to you, darling Fluttershy?"

She tried to hold back a giggle, waving a hoof to him. "O-of course you are, Discord! These are just material things that we need," she replied.

Discord pouted. "That basket can hear you, y'know. I think you've hurt its feelings."

Fluttershy rolled her eyes, though giggling and focusing on the path.

"I told Mister Cake and Missis Cake what flavors we'll need in advance, so hopefully, they'll be done by the time we get there."

He nodded to her. "And pray tell; what flavor did you get for me? I don't see it on your little list."

She smiled. "It's—"

Fluttershy paused abruptly, her ear twitching as she heard ponies shouting behind her.

"Ow!"

"Hey!"

"Watch where you're going!"

The yellow pegasus tilted her head back in curiosity, watching a pink pony push their way through the crowd, now heading straight for Discord and her.

"...Pinkie Pie?" she asked, squinting as the mare drew closer to them.

"TWITCHA TWITCH! TWITCHA TWITCH!"

Discord backed up at first, then was suddenly bowled over as Pinkie Pie jumped and tackled him to the ground.

"Auugh!" he groaned, feeling her hooves pressing on his chest. "Pinkie Pie, what is—"

The draconequus stopped at the sound of something breaking, his eyes locking onto a broken pot that had crash-landed in the exact spot he'd been standing in just a moment ago.

Instantly, his gaze was drawn upwards to the source: a pony who had her hooves held out somewhat and was now staring down at him.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" she said. "I was just opening my shutters and 'woosh'; my pot goes tumbling down!"

Discord raised a brow, intrigued.

My my~ How fascinating that you had it in just the right place and opened your shutters in just the right time for that pot to nearly come in contact with my woefully-unprepared head.

Pinkie Pie gave a stern, but gentle, glare at the pony. "Okey-dokey-lokey, but be more careful next time, 'kay? You almost hurt somedracowhatsit."

"Draconequus," Discord corrected.

"Yeah, that. Somedraconequus".

The pony nodded, giving a soft wave before going back inside her house once she closed the shutters.

Almost angrily so...

Pinkie Pie pouted, then looked back down at Discord as she got off of him. "You okay~?"

He rolled over, pushing himself back up to his feet and dusting himself off. "Just lovely, I suppose," he said with slight sarcasm, though having no intention of upsetting Pinkie Pie with it.

The party pony smiled happily, bouncing up and down. "Great! Wouldn't want cha to miss out on the picnic just 'cause you would've been all injured and stuff!"

Fluttershy walked up to her, gesturing a hoof towards Sugarcube Corner, which was only a few meters away. "We're almost getting to be on our way there actually. We just need to pick up our share for the picnic first."

"Ohhhhhhh~" Pinkie Pie said, nodding in understanding. "I already got my stuff ready in our cute little picnic spot, so I'll meet cha guys there, mkay?" she asked as she rocked back and forth on her hooves, her tail swishing in excitement.

Discord and Fluttershy nodded, but couldn't get a single word out before Pinkie Pie took off towards the edge of Ponyville; going to their picnic location, most likely.

"...Whose idea was it to put that pony in a bakery filled with sweets?" Discord asked curiously.

Fluttershy gave him a small smile, then shrugged and headed towards Sugarcube Corner. Discord followed, though his eyes were slightly 'blinded' by the overpowering array of colors that the building gave off. They slowly walked inside, the sound of a bell going off and alerting Missis Cake, who stood politely at the counter.

"Ah! Fluttershy, Discord! Welcome!" she greeted, waving a hoof.

"Hello, Missis Cake," Fluttershy said in return, waving back. "Are those cupcakes we ordered finished?"

The blue mare smiled. "Just finished them! Here you go!"

Fluttershy's face instantly brightened as a small box was placed on the table. She set her basket down, opening it and placing the box inside. "Perfect fit!" she cheered softly.

Discord chuckled at her excitement, then picked up the basket with his eagle claw. Fluttershy didn't argue, as carrying the basket in her mouth would've been a difficult task given that she enjoyed talking to Discord while they walked.

"Thank you, Missis Cake!" the pegasus exclaimed.

"Oh, you're very welcome! Take care of Pinkie Pie at your little picnic get-together, alright?"

Discord almost rolled his eyes. "I think she's well beyond our care."

Fluttershy giggled, pressing her head to Discord to inform him that they were leaving. He obliged, waving to Missis Cake before heading out the door.

...Perhaps he shouldn't have gone first.

As Discord got outside, the side of his head was instantly met by a sudden pain, briefly stunning him. Fluttershy gasped, flying up to his face with a concerned expression.

"D-Discord, are you alright?" she asked.

The draconequus nodded with a small grunt, promptly looking downwards to see the cause of his sudden headache. A baseball sat near his feet, and a young colt walked up to it and picked it right back up. Soon after, a stallion trotted up to them, shaking his head.

"Sorry. My son and I were practicing a bit of baseball," he said, though rather nonchalantly.

Discord gave them a small wave, just wanting to forget what happened. The two males nodded to him, then walked off.

The draconequus couldn't help the frown on his face. The stallion, along with the mare earlier, were clearly lying to him. He wasn't an idiot; there were obviously still ponies around who hadn't forgiven him, unlike his friends. He wasn't really angry with them, but he just wished that they would tell him they had a problem with him instead of trying to mess with him. After all, he couldn't do much about it with the lack of his powers; granted, it's not like he would do so normally, as the last thing he wanted to do was cause even more trouble. Chaos was fine, but getting more ponies angry wasn't an idea he was fond of.

"Nnn..."

Discord blinked, glancing over at Fluttershy, who stared at where the two male ponies formerly stood. Was she... angry?

"Fluttershy?" he asked cautiously.

The pegasus flinched, quickly turning back to Discord. "O-oh! Y-yes! I'm alright!"

She smiled politely, then gave him a gentle kiss where he had been hit. He was slightly embarrassed at the show of affection, but accepted it anyway, making sure the basket was securely on his arm before continuing down the path with her.

"...Don't pay much attention to them," Fluttershy then muttered, almost out of nowhere.

"Hm~?" he questioned.

She frowned at him. "They've been rough-housing a lot lately; particularly when I come by with my animals."

Discord shook his head. "Ah, think nothing of it, darling Fluttershy! I'm taken far worse blows to the head!" he said with a small laugh.

She nodded, but slowly came to a stop as something drew her attention. Discord raised a brow, looking off in the direction that her gaze was pointing at. A stand laid there, with a rather gruff-looking pony standing behind the counter.

"Something catch your eye?" he asked, staring at the contents on the stand and wondering what she could be so interested in.

Fluttershy trotted up to the stand, staring at the pony behind the counter as she directed a hoof towards the bunch of carrots that laid in front of him.

"I have this little bunny named Angel at home who would just love those carrots right there!" she exclaimed. "How much are they?"

The stallion tapped the counter. "Three bits."

Fluttershy smiled, reaching into the bag on her waist and pulling out three bits, promptly setting them on the counter. "Thank you!"

He nodded, reaching out and taking the bits, placing them in a bag sitting next to him. "Enjoy your carrots."

Discord tilted his head curiously as he watched the scene, slowly walking up to Fluttershy and smirking. "More carrots for that rabbit? I suppose he needs it to fuel that attitude of his."

She giggled at him, reaching out to grab the small bundle of carrots. "Oh, Angel's not that bad. I—"

She gasped slightly as the stallion suddenly placed a hoof over the carrots, almost glaring at her.

"U-um..." she murmured. "E-excuse me, but—"

"—Is he with you?" the stallion asked, tilting his head towards Discord.

Fluttershy averted her gaze to the draconequus, then nodded to the gruff stallion. "Yes. He is."

He stared at her for a moment, then slammed a hoof on the table. "That'll be ten bits then."

"T-ten bits?" she asked, her wings ruffling up in surprise. "B-but, I already—"

She jumped as Discord's lion paw suddenly hit the table. "She already paid, buddy. Three bits; you said so yourself," he said with a low growl.

"I changed my mind," the stallion shot back. "Are you gonna do somethin' about it?"

Discord's gaze sharpened. Oh, how he would've loved to. Honestly, even without his powers, he could probably beat this pony to a pulp if he really wanted to.

"D-Discord?" Fluttershy squeaked, lightly tugging on his tail. "It's okay... forget about it. It's only three bits."

But no. He was better than this stallion.

Averting his gaze back to Fluttershy, Discord followed her away from the stand. Her head was directed downwards, and she was clearly upset about the little incident.

He frowned. "...About your carrots..."

Fluttershy smiled sadly at him. "It's not your fault..."

She paused, then gazed back at the ground as she began to walk more slowly. "Ponies can be so mean sometimes though."

Discord let out an awkward murmur, feeling somewhat responsible for Fluttershy's mood-drop.

She continued. "I know what happened, but that doesn't give them the right to treat you that way! It's...it's not right!"

She stopped walking, pounding the ground once with her hoof. Discord stared at her, a little speechless at her louder voice. She seemed to notice though, calming down and looking back at him.

"Don't you worry, okay? I at least know how amazing you are," she said, though her cheeks were tinted pink.

Discord chuckled somewhat at her sudden compliment, then nodded his head. "Of course you do. Now, shall we continue on our—"

"You can never trust those ponies. You saw what they did to you, and even what they tried to do. They're all the same. They don't care about you at all. Why care about them?"

"...D-Discord?" Fluttershy called softly.

The draconequus blinked, popping out of his trance as he shook his head. Now he was sure; this voice wasn't nothing.

He cleared his throat though, waving a hand dismissively.

"I'm just fine, Fluttershy. Let's continue, hm?"