• Published 15th May 2014
  • 5,683 Views, 99 Comments

Well, What Now? - Spirit Shift



Rainbow Dash wants to see what it's like to be a Dragon, Spike wants to be a pony to impress Rarity. Twilight just wants some peace and quiet, so she grants their wish.

  • ...
20
 99
 5,683

The Third Day

The Third Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning actually went down almost identically the same as the day before, right down to the food fight and subsequent near passing out of three food fighters.

“BURP!....... We can’t keep doing this,” groaned Dash as he lie on his back, nursing his full stomach.

“Well, this IS a bakery, so they probably have, like, tons of food in the freezer, or something,” groaned Spike.

“Actually, I don’t know where all the food comes from. Mr, and Mrs. Cake always fill out some forms, and food just shows up downstairs,” giggled Pinkie.

“Well, we should probably clean this up, groaned Spike as she feebly tried to get up.

Rainbow also stood up, “Yeah, same as yesterday. Don’t break anything this time.”

Spike waved him off as she went over to pick up the fallen chairs. “Yeah, yeah. I’m getting much better at this hoof stuff anyway.”

“Oh really? Then, do you wanna help me in the kitchen today!?” exclaimed Pinkie, already cleaning the ceiling with her mouth, via plunger shoes.

“Nahh, maybe tomorrow though,” answered Rainbow Dash.

Everything went the same as yesterday, Pinkie Pie licked up the food from the ceiling, while the others cleaned at ground level. Eventually, after convincing Pinkie Pie that they weren't being antisocial party pooping ponies, the switched pair decided to stay in the shop for the day.

“Wanna go see what else the Cakes have hidden in their room? There really was a coffee machine in there, ya know,” asked Rainbow.

Spike thought for a second before shaking her head. “Nahh, not interested.”

"Do you want to go flying again?"

Spike thought back to what she felt when flying yesterday. So free, so fast, so much falling, and so wet. "N-no I'm good, I would rather not crash into a tree again. let's go upstairs or something."


~Upstairs~


Spike looked around the pink room of their host. Balloons and cheery pieces of furniture littered the area, eventually her eyes wandered over to a corner of the room, and spotted a mountain of games. “Wanna play a game? She has, like, a ton.”

Dash shrugged. “Sure, nothin' else to do.”


“Aggghh, I’m so bored!” groaned Dash.

“Calm down, it’s only been 30 minutes. We haven't even finished our first game of Monopony yet.”

“This is boring, and I don’t want to do this anymore!”

“You’re just saying that because you’re losing.”

“Who gets both Park Place, and Boardwalk on their first turn!?”

Spike chuckled a little. “Well, I asked if you wanted to go all the way around the board first.”

“Whatever, that rule was stupid, you’re stupid, and this game is stupid. Let’s do something else. Why can’t we go outside again?”

“Because, I don’t want to run into Rarity again while I'm like this! If she sees me, then I know that I’m gonna hit on her, and it’s gonna be weird!”

Dash started to snicker, only stopping when Spike sent him a glare. “Well, what if we don’t run into her?”

“Why wouldn't we?”

“Well, it’s still early, maybe she’s still working on some dress in her shop.”

“Hmm, I guess that could be true, but what if she’s not.”

“You know her schedule better than I do, ya stalker.”

“At least I don’t break into ponies rooms, and look for weird stuff!”

“True…... so can we go outside now?”

“No, we're staying in here today.”

Dash groaned in annoyance and tuned to lie on his back. "Fine, then what do we do?"

Spike thought for a few moments. What could we do then, Rainbow Dash doesn't want to play any more games, and I don’t want to go outside. We could just talk, but Dash wouldn't want to talk about anything that she's not remotely interested in. Daring Do? Nahh, I wouldn't want to start an argument. I mean, that's so stupid, it's obvious that Ahrizotle is Daring's cursed brother. It's been hinted at since book one, why else would Daring go on all these adventures but not turn a profit, she's looking for a cure. Why can't she just see that!

Wait, what was I thinking about?

Oh right, I need a topic. Let's see, what do I know about Rainbow Dash; she’s headstrong, a tomcolt, loves her some Applejack, loves to fly, is kinda stupid, crashes a lot........ no respect for others privacy.... paranoid about spies….

Well I guess that settles that "Hey, Rainbow Dash," she called out.

"What?"

"Do you want to just, talk?"

Rainbow Dash turned to look at her as if he had never heard the word before. "Talk? About what? We already know everything about each other."

"See, no, that's the thing, I just thought about it, and the only thing I know about you is that you like the Wonderbolts and flying. How about this, why do you like the Wonderbolts so much?"

Rainbow considered this topic, it was better than nothing, and he did like talking about himself. "Fine, it all started when I was like, 4. My dad said that I flew around the house a lot. Sometimes, so in order to keep me still while he was handling something important, he would chain me to the ground. Of course, I was a filly who couldn't be held down for long, I kept breaking out. But the thing was, no matter what, he always kept me in the house, like If I left, I would die or something. Of course I understand now, why he did it.

So, when I was 5 and stupid, I decided to leave the house on my own, while he was still asleep. I just got up, and flew right out of the house. When I got out of there, I saw the most incredible things. I saw Ponyville for the first time, I saw Fillydelphia, I saw Canterlot, and Ponysburg."

With every word spoken Spike became more and more interested in the story, though, behind her excitement, she began to feel something that she instantly recognized as jealousy, though she couldn't possibly understand why she was.

"I was so engrossed in what I was seeing that I didn't realize that my little wings were giving out," she continued. "So, one second I was flying above what’s now called Applaloosa, the next I was plummeting through the air. My wings were cramped, hurting, and wouldn't flap. I thought that I was a goner. Then,” he began gesture with his claws, “out of nowhere, I was caught by a passing group of wonderbolts. They asked me why I was out so far away from Cloudsdale. When I told them that I wanted to see the outside world, they understood and agreed to take me home."

"So, you want to be one because they saved you?"

"Nahh, that’s lame. No, what happened next was why I want to be one. During the time they flew me back, they did the most amazing tricks ever! Even my Sonic Rainboom wouldn't be a match for what they did, and I was on their backs experiencing the whole thing. It was like I got my own show put on just for me. Honestly, it was inspiring. I wanted to do that, I wanted to be like them. The way they moved, their speed and formations, it was just so. Awesome! For the first time, I knew what I wanted to do with my life, and it's been like that ever since.

I still remember the best move they did, too. Even though the one I rode on didn't join them, they pulled it off perfectly. First, 3 of them grabbed several lightning clouds and charged them. The other 2 grabbed rain clouds. Then they combined the rain and lightning into storm clouds and set them off.

Here's the best bit, all 5 of them flew around the clouds in a perfect sphere, rain and lightning bouncing around the inside from the special magic in their suits. They basically made a giant ball of lightning in the sky, I was blown away!” he almost yelled, by now he was jumping in place at the excitement generated from the memory. “They just flew faster and faster and faster, until you could barely see them anymore. Until finally, the lightning exploded outwards, lighting up the whole sky. I thought I was blinded, but when I opened my eyes, the entire sky was filled with the most beautiful things better than any rainboom. Colors lit up the sky, and stretched on forever. They told me that it was a new move that combined pegasus magic, unicorn magic, speed and coordination to create an artificial aurora. Now, I've seen an actual aurora, it looked nowhere near as cool as that.

"What's an aurora?"

"I'm not an egghead, so I can't really explain it. Let's just say that it's a bunch of magic lights in the sky. So, anyway, they asked me what I thought. I played it cool of course, and told them that it was pretty awesome. They were apparently still developing it at the time. Afterwards, they dropped me off at home just in time for me to get yelled at by my dad, and put in the punishment box, it was horrible, I couldn't fly for a week after that.

About a year later, I ran into one of the bolts at a show. When I asked him why they didn't do the Aurora, he told me that Celestia thought that it was too dangerous to pull off in a crowd, and prohibited even practicing it. That meant that I had been the only non-bolt to have seen the move. From then on, it's been my goal to join the wonderbolts, become captain, slap Celestia's snout and bring back the best flying move in the world. That, Spike, is how I got my dream." she finished, standing proudly on Pinkie Pie's bed.

Spike could only stare, wide-eyed in awe at the story. "That, was amazing." Spike suddenly got the feeling that he would love to see an aurora, even if it’s not as cool as the one Dash saw. She remembered reading about one in a book once, something about northern lights.

"It should be, I just made it all up anyway."

Spike's face made an audible crack as it broke down into the most deadpan glare imaginable. "What?"

"Yea, no I made all of that up, just wanted to waste some time. The real reason is that I'm chasing after a colt named Soarin, but he probably won't date me until I become a bolt. Simple as that."

"........what?"

Dash couldn't take it anymore, he fell out laughing so hard that he rolled right off the bed and onto the hardwood floor. I would take a full 5 minutes before he would stop slamming his fist on the ground.

~5 minutes later~

"........what?"

"Hahahaaaa, I was just messing with you! Celestia, you should see your face."

"Wait? then which story's true?"

"I'll let you figure that one out, this is too fun. Anymore questions about me?"

Spike resolved to get the truth later. "I guess, but only if you promise not to do that again, I just want the truth please."

"Fine," he huffed, "killjoy."

Spike and Rainbow Dash spent the next few hours just talking and laughing. Dash mostly talked about the misadventures that she would get into as a filly. She got into stuff so messed up that the if the CMC heard any of it, Ponyville would probably literally end up in the sky. Every once in a while, Pinkie would also show up to drop the occasional joke bomb and even tell a silly story from her own fillyhood. Even though she was enjoying herself, Spike couldn't help but feel extremely left out due the fact that he had spent most of his life helping in a library or around the castle. She realized that she had never really gone out and explored on her own, not nearly as much as these two anyway.

Time passed, and night descended while the three friends gabbed on and on about life, friends and fun but some point, through majority vote, Pinkie being the odd one out, they decided to go to bed in the same manner as last night. With Pinkie and Spike together, and Dash by himself in the fireproof room. While the rest of them quickly descended into peaceful slumber, one purple pegasus remained fully awake and alive. Dash's words echoed through her head. Even if there was a possibility that the story had been made up, Spike found that, inside, he truly envied Rainbow Dash's reasons for wanting to be a bolt. She has a goal that she wants to meet in life. That's more than he could say for himself at least.


What was it that Spike the Dragon wanted most out of life, where did he want to go? what would he like to do? What were his dreams? These thoughts circled around furiously in her head until she figured that enough was enough. Leaving the room she walked out into the darkness of Ponyville alone to clear her head of the thoughts that she both didn't have an answer to, nor could fully understand.

Author's Note:

Question: Do you guys think I use the word 'as' too much?

Criticisms, Likes, Faves, and Follows are fully welcomed.