• Published 15th May 2014
  • 5,671 Views, 99 Comments

Well, What Now? - Spirit Shift



Rainbow Dash wants to see what it's like to be a Dragon, Spike wants to be a pony to impress Rarity. Twilight just wants some peace and quiet, so she grants their wish.

  • ...
20
 99
 5,671

The Second Day

The Second Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither Spike, nor Rainbow Dash would admit that it took almost two hours for them get up and come downstairs. Two hours of laughter, embarrassment, and awkward showers. Though eventually, they managed to make it through the first part of the morning only slightly mentally scarred.

Currently, they were stuck at the entrance to the kitchen, stunned into silence trying to comprehend exactly what they were watching. They shared identical slack jawed expressions as they observed the pink mare zoom back and forth at impossible speeds, somehow working four stoves simultaneously while also placing finished foods on tables. Dash briefly wondered if she got back into the Mirror pool when he swore that there were at least 4 of her running around.

They stood there, watching her until she began finally began to slow down. Eventually, they could only see three of her, then two, and by the time that she had completely stopped, the duo found themselves sitting at the table, staring at the feast before them.

Their eyes glazed over as they took in the sight of three full tables, each one filled to the brim with dozens of pancakes, waffles, pastries, and pieces of hay bacon sided with mounds of toast, alongside assorted vegetables, jams and syrups. On separate tables, sat gallons of milk(chocolate of course) and water, ready for drinking.

“Don’t just sit there, eat with me!” exclaimed Pinkie.

No further words were needed, as all Tartarus broke loose when all three of them literally dove into the food. The waffles, pancakes, pop tarts, and assorted other breakfast foods were no match for the hungry stomachs of two ponies and a dragon. Foods went flying and faces were stuffed, as they fought like animals over who ate what, completely forgetting that there was more than enough to eat between them…... probably.

Things got really extreme when DragonDash caught sight of the gems that Pinkie had set aside for him, he nearly flipped the entire table over in his rush to have them. At one point, MareSpike hesitantly reached for a gem, only to get a hiss and a swipe from the hoardy dragon in response.

Eventually, the food ran out, and the three of them hit the ground on their backs, nursing their full bellies.

“Oh my -” BURP “-Celestia….that was delicious.”

“Why did you, HIC, make so much?”

Pinkie let out the largest belch of all before she giggled and answered. “Well, I woke up this morning, and I gasped, just like this, -” Pinkie let out a huge gasp, even larger than the one she gave Twilight when they first met. “-when I realized that last night was my very first sleepover EVER! So, I just knew that I needed to do something super special. So I made us all a super special breakfast.” Pinkie paused for a second before looking slightly downcast. “Did I go too far?”

“No!” they both answered simultaneously.

“Oh, good” Pinkie beamed. She looked up, and took in the sight of the knocked over tables, broken dishes, and all of the foods covering the walls that was most likely due to the food fight that she and Spike had gotten into at one point. “Wow, the Cakes are going to be reeeeaaally mad if we don’t clean that all up.”

Dash burped once more before answering. “They’re gonna be mad no matter what, but sure, we’ll help ya clean, Pinks”

After a few minutes of trying, the three finally managed to stand back up, and move around some. Dash chose to move the furniture back into place, and Spike chose to wash the dishes.

At some point, Dash turned around when he heard the telltale sounds of dishes crashing to the floor. He watched Spike clumsily try to wash dishes, only to drop them to the ground. Dash faceclawed as he waddled over to trade places with the derpy hooved mare. Spike sheepishly complied as she went to pick up knocked over chairs and flipped over tables, which she found to be only marginally easier than cleaning plates.

Pinkie herself paid no attention to the two while she chose the ‘fun’ task, of cleaning the food off of the walls and ceiling, mostly by eating it.

Through their combined efforts, they successfully managed to clean the entire kitchen in a matter of minutes. Afterwards, Pinkie reminded them that she had to open the store, and asked if they would like to help. They declined when they reminded her that Spike couldn't use hooves to cook, and Dash was too small to reach the stove. So, they went their separate ways, Pinkie, to the front of the store to open it, and the switched duo, back upstairs to stay out of sight.

“So, what do ya wanna do now?” asked Spike after they entered Pinkie’s room.

Dash paused as he put a claw to his chin in thought. “Hey, Spike, do you remember when you got all greedy and got, like, really big?”

“Yeeaaaah,” she replied nervously.

“Oh, I remember that! Spike got a bunch of stuff for his birthday, then he started stealing things like a big meanie pants.” Pinkie began to count on her hoof, dangling from the ceiling by her hindlegs. “He stole my cupcakes, Applejack’s apples, Rarity, Twilight’s books, globe, wall, sink, and shelves. Fluttershy’s virginity, Rainbow’s Dash, Sweetie Drops’ house, Cheerilee’s hat, the Ponyville water tower-”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Dash interrupted, “Well, here me out here but what if I-”

“No!”

“But, It would be fun.”

“No!”

“Rarity would be distracted.”

“No.”

“Well, how about we-”

“No!”

“But-”

“I said no! I’m not letting you get greedy just to rampage around as a gigantic dragon.”

“Whyyyy noooooot” he whined.

Spike held up a hoof, only to realize that he didn't have claws anymore. “Three reasons; First, If you do, then the royal guard might actually show up this time.”

“Phhpppt, I doubt that, those guys are pretty useless when you need them.”

Spike giggled a little at this. “Secondly, it’s not fair that you get to have your wish, but I don’t.”

Dash only scoffed, “Well, you did want to be a pony, you should’ve been more specific when you asked Twilight.”

“Lastly, if you do then Twilight will never do you a favor ever again.” Spike glared.

Dash’s eyes burst open, widened, then shrank in realization. He groaned in defeat, and threw her arms into the air. “Ok fine, I won’t go steal a bunch of stuff just to turn into a wicked awesome dragon that would crush the town and all my enemies.”

“You have enemies?”

“No……. but If I did, then I could crush them under the increased weight of my awesomeness,” Dash grumbled in annoyance.

“It’s ok, Dashie, If you want, you can sit on my head to feel taller,” Pinkie said with a wide smile, causing Spike to burst into laughter, and knock over the chairs that she had just picked up.

Rainbow honestly couldn't tell whether or not she was teasing him, but either way, he decided that he had enough, it was time to use his trump card. “Ya’ know, Spike, Rarity might actually want to see you like this, she does like meeting new ponies.”

“New pony! Where?” Pinkie said excitedly.

“It’s us, Pinks.”

“Awww.”

Spike instantly paused in her laughter and bolted upright, eyes sparkling in excitement. “Really!? Wait, no, she can’t see me in this form,” she said, slightly downcast.

“You never know, she might like you better like this.”

“I didn't know Rarity liked mares,” said Pinkie. Continuing to defy gravity, she plopped her rump up on the ceiling, and stared downwards toward the ground in thought. “Wow, you think you know a gal”

Spike could only roll her eyes. “No, Pinkie, Rarity isn't into mares, so it would be awkward, and weird if I did go meet her.”

“So, you should deal with it and go talk to her.”

“Did you not just hear what I said!?”

“I heard it loud and clear, you don’t want to go see your friends ‘cuz you’re scared.”

“Wait, that is not what I-”

“Pinkie!” he called, in less than a second Pinkie dropped down from the ceiling, and landed right beside the small rainbow dragon.

“Yes, Dashie?”

“Spike’s being-” Dash narrowed his eyes, “-antisocial!

Pinkie let out a gasp to end all gasps, causing everyone in the room to feel slightly light headed afterwards due to the sudden lack of available air.

Instantly, Spike felt a rush of wind, blank, and found herself sitting outside, right in the middle of town, next to her, sat an equally dazed Rainbow Dash. A few yards behind them came the voice of a pony they knew all too well.

“Stop being anti-social party poopers!” Pinkie called out as she closed the door to the shop.

“That wasn't exactly what I had planned,” he said, groggily getting to his feet.

“So, we’re outside, now what, party pooper,” grumbled Spike as they walked through the town.

Dash shrugged. “Ahdunno, I just didn't want to be inside anymore. Do you know how confining it is for a pegasus to be stuck in one place?”

“So what, is it like claustrophobia or something?” she asked, not quite understanding the second part.

“Clamidia-what now?”

“It means fear of being in closed spaces.”

“Egghead, no, all pegasi love the sky, we love being out in the open flying through the air and hate being confined to any one place, even if it’s big.”

“That sounds like claustrophobia without the phobia.”

“Whatever, I’m usually in the air, napping, training or working. I can’t do any of that at the moment, so what do you do for fun?”

This caused Spike to stop in her tracks. “I….. I don’t know, I’m usually helping Twilight right now.”

“Wow, dude, do you ever have time off?”

“Yes!” replied Spike, looking offended.

Dash gave her a suspicious glance. “Ok, what do you do when you do get time to yourself, smell your feet?”

Spike blushed through his purple coat. “NO! I read comics to pass the time.”

Dash raised an eyebrow. “And?”

“And, what?”

“Is that it?”

“Ummmm, I also…….uh” Spike trailed off. “I guess, I really don’t have any kinds of hobbies like you do.” she muttered sadly.

“Uhuh, thought so. You need to learn how to have more fun when you’re on your own. Everypony has something awesome that they like to do. You know what? I’m gonna teach you how to be awesome.”

Spike glanced over in confusion. “What?”

“First step to being awesome! Learn to fly.”

“Oh yeah, I was gonna ask you to teach me about that, I always wanted to fly.”

“Yeah, what kind of dragon doesn't have any wings?” said The Flightless Rainbow as he glanced at his back, “I mean, what’s up with…..” Dash trailed off as he looked back, and saw Spike tearing up at his words. Dash began to panic and tried to apologize.. “I’m kidding! I’m kidding! I didn't mean it. Wingless dragons are awesome!”

Spike raised a hoof to wipe her eyes before responding. “It’s cool, I always wanted wings anyway.”

Dash heaved a silent sigh of relief. “Well, you’ve got them now, so lets use them.”

Spike immediately brightened up. “Alright!”

So the duo made their way over to a large hill where Dash often practiced her own flight skills. They stood at it’s apex and began their training.

“Okay, first thing-”

“I have a question!” interrupted Spike.

“What? We haven't even started, what is it?”

“Since we’re doing flight lessons, shouldn't Scootaloo be here as well?”

Dash briefly thought about it before waving it off with a claw. “Nah, then we’d have to waste time explaining why a wingless, rainbow colored dragon, is teaching a fully grown pegasus how to fly. I don’t feel like explaining all of that.”

“Yea, but-”

“Do you wanna learn to fly now or not?” asked an irritated Dash.

“I do!” pleaded Spike.

“Right, so lets get started.”

~~~

“Okay! So what have we learned?” Dash commanded as he paced back and forth.

“Oh u..um,” Spike stuttered “lot’s of control and endurance.”

“Yes.”

“Screaming and hollering...”

“Right, wait… no...... well, yes but only if you’re falling I guess.”

“...and passion.”

“For flying, yes, but did you listen to anything I said about aerodynamics and cloud safety?”

“Umm…. yes,” she lied. In honesty, Spike had began to daydream about 2 minutes in, mostly about random things like huge keys and ice cream, only to snap back to attention when Dash asked her what she had learned.

“Alright then,” he glared suspiciously. “Try to fly, right now, flap your wings.”

“A..alright then,” stammered Spike. Hesitantly, she unfolded her wings, and slowly began to flap them. At first each beat was out of sync, but eventually she began to get the hang of it, flapping them both at the same time like a normal pegasus would. Looking back, she caught sight of Dash’s disbelieving look.

She decided that she was as ready as she ever would, and gave a strong flap, only to rocket into the air uncontrollably, the resulting wind from her takeoff knocked Dash back on his tail. Dash’s lessons came in handy as Spike did infact start screaming and hollering as soon as her hooves left the ground. Flipping, flailing, and flapping wildly, she flew through the sky in random loops and corkscrews, screaming the entire time.

Dash eventually got back to his feet and stared up in concern. He tried to yell up at her, to give her instructions on control and direction, only to realize three things. One: Spike hasn't crashed yet, which was odd for a first time flier. Even Twilight crashed the first few times when she first tried to fly. Secondly, the patterns that Spike flew in slowly began to resemble some moves that Dash herself had developed, and finally, Spikes screams of fear began to sound more and more like screams of joy and excitement.

“Wow….. guess he was listening,” muttered Dash as he watched her slowly gain control over her flight path.

“Rainbow, this is awesome!!” screamed Spike as she flew across the sky, effortlessly pulling off random tricks that she had seen Dash do herself. For some reason, Rainbow began to get really nervous.

“That’s great, but you should probably come back down before something happens,” he yelled back up.

“What? You think I’m gonna fall? No way!”

Deciding that Spike looked more or less fine, Dash decided to get started on one of her more favorite hobbies, napping the day away. Climbing up a nearby tree he got comfortable in one of the larger branches, and drifted off silently.

~In the air~

“Oh my Celestia this is awesome!” Spike yelled as he flew through the air, Deciding that she wanted to go as high as possible, she flew directly upwards, reaching higher and higher into the vast blue openness until she finally felt the need to look downward. What she saw as a result caused her eyes to widen in awe from sight. From her vantage, she could see the almost the entirety of Equestria, boarder to boarder from Ponyville to the Badlands.

‘It’s so huge,’ she thought, “but where’s Ponyville, I can’t- oh wait, there it is. That’s where I live, but it’s so small I can barely see it from here. Rainbow Dash said the she didn't like being confined to one place, I think I understand what she meant now.’ Spike thought. It was strange, up there, in the sky, he felt a strange sense of freedom, it wasn't like the freedom he felt at home, where he was free to roam town or do whatever. Right now it felt like he could go anywhere in the world right now. Spike began to gaze out on all the different places in the land ‘I wonder what it’s like, to travel and see all of these places, the girls do it all the time so maybe if I ask, they’ll take me with them next time.

Suddenly, Spike’s mental rant came to an abrupt halt as she began to feel slightly light headed, her vision began to blur as something that Dash had said began to echo in her mind.

‘Don’t go too high in the air, because the air gets thin at that altitude. Basically, you pass out’

“Crap” she muttered before she passed out, and plummeted to the ground below. During her freefall she passed through a particularly moist cloud, the resulting splash to the face caused her to regain consciousness. Eyes widening at the rapidly approaching ground she quickly extended her wings to slow her fall, eventually leveling out into a nice glide.

A glide that ended up in her crashing right into the tree right where Dash was sleeping. branches broke and limbs became tangled as she barreled through the foliage and crashed both her and Rainbow Dash onto the grass below. They tumbled some distance before coming to rest at the edge of the hill. Completely covered in tree sap

“That. Was. Awesome!” exclaimed Spike, “Having wings is awesome!”

“Yea…. I know right,” replied the groggy dragon, currently disentangling himself from the limbs of his friend and removing branches and tree sap from uncomfortable places.”Geez, is this how the Crusaders feel?”

After getting all cleaned up, Dash looked into the sky and saw that the sun had already began to set. “Wow, how long have we been out here.”

Spike could only shrugged. “I don’t know, I was flying, so I didn't notice the sun go down.”

“Then we should get back to-”

“Rainbow Dash, is that you?”

Both of them froze in place as a third, feminine voice rang out. Spike knew that voice anywhere, and prayed that she wouldn't recognize them in these forms.

Dash was the first to turn around and watch purple mare trot up the hill to meet them.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I was just taking a small stroll through Ponyville, when I saw a pegasus doing a few delightful tricks up here, then I saw you crash, so I just assumed.” said Rarity as she reached them.

“N..no, it’s ok I was j...just p..practicing here.” stuttered Spike as he slowly backed up, only to be stopped by Dash and his mischievous smirk.

“I saw, It was marvelous, it reminded me of my pegasus friend, but enough about her. You two look new here, am I right? I only know of one other baby dragon in Ponyville.”

Spike could only glance around nervously trying to remember which direction Sugarcube Corner was in. Seeing that her lips had frozen Dash roller his eyes and decided to take the lead.

“Yep, you’re right, we just got here. My name’s Razer and she’s...uhhh, Emerald,” Dash began, ignoring Spike’s shocked expression. “You must be Rarity, right.”

Rarity looked surprised that they knew her name but quickly shook it off as she flipped her expertly styled mane. “Why yes, however did you know.”

“My friend here is a really big fan of yours.”

Rarity’s eyes literally sparkled as she ran up and nearly pressed snouts against the green haired mare.

“Is that so? Well then, we should certainly get together and talk at my place tomorrow. I would love to style your mane sometime. I must admit, that I am not usually fond of the color green, but it looks simply amazing on you, it compliments your coat beautifully.”

Spike blushed furiously when he realized how close his crush was to her. Sputtering nonsense, she quickly flew off in the opposite direction without warning.

Rarity blinked in confusion before looking back to the small dragon next to her, currently laughing his tail off.

“Well that was odd..... she must be shy, the poor dear.”

Dash only laughed harder.

“Well, when you see her could you please tell her that I do extend an invitation for us to meet sometime.”

Dash only laughed some more as he held out a thumbs up, and began to walk back to Sugarcube corner, leaving Rarity by herself.

“What an odd pair, though they do seem vaguely familiar.” she muttered to herself as she too trotted back to her boutique.


~Later~

“How could you do that!” screeched Spike as she hoisted the young dragon into the air, glaring at him with all the rage in the world.

“Yea, how could you!” repeated Pinkie as she joined in on the screeching. “What did she do?”

“Oh, so now you learn to use your hooves.” Dash snarked. “What? I set you up on a date with her. Why are you mad.”

“Date with who?”

“You got me friendzoned! She doesn't like mares, remember, and she doesn't know that I’m Spike, because you gave her a fake name!” screamed Spike as she began to shake him back and forth.

“Who doesn't like mares?”

“Wehelehelehell nowowowow youou can find ououot whahahaht sheeeee liiikkkeesss
inaaa draaaagon.” warbled Rainbow as Spike shook him around like a rag doll.

Pinkie gave up on asking questions, and resigned herself to simply eating popcorn as
she watched the show before her.

Spike’s eyes went wide as she dropped the dragon to the floor and froze in place.

“And there go the hooves,” Dash muttered to himself. “ Look, I don’t do it, but I’ve heard that mares like to talk about what kinds of stallions they like when they hang out. You can talk to Rarity and get the inside scoop.”

“That’s brilliant,” muttered Spike.

“Also, I wanted to screw with you,” admitted Dash.

At that, Spike lept into action, attacking Dash in what could only be described as a tumble of cartoonish proportions. Especially when Pinkie threw her popcorn away and jumped in. For hours the two ponies and dragon would tumble through the room, wrestling and playing around having fun.

Eventually Dash and Spike ran out of energy, leaving Pinkie to maintain the tumble by herself until she realized that no one was tumbling with her. Through majority vote, Pinkie being the odd one out, they decided to go to bed in the same manner as last night. With Pinkie and Spike together, and Dash by herself in the fireproof room.

They all said their goodnights and retreated to their individual beds to drift off. Spike thought about what happened today, and why, now that she was back in Ponyville, she suddenly felt somewhat confined. She found that she missed the freedom of flight. A side of her wondered what it would be like to see new places, but that was interrupted by her wings springing up once more, breaking her train of thought. Grumbling in annoyance, she decided to attempt to go back to sleep, messing with her wings all the while.

Author's Note:

More new heavily edited chapters! chapters!! HAZZAH!