• Published 9th May 2014
  • 1,098 Views, 73 Comments

Peace at Last Side Stories: Back in Neighpon - Prince_Staghorn

  • ...
1
 73
 1,098

The Princess and the Guard/The Two Librarians

Neighponese

Ib'xian

The storm had cleared overnight, and everyone was awake and moving around. A certain guard had checked on Twilight and then, satisfied everything was safe, had gone exploring.

Red had never been much for words, preferring to let his hooves do the talking. When he had been a little colt^, he had often been the target of bullying, despite the fact said bullies always wound up injured and missing several teeth. His father was constantly busy, and between that and his mother competing in tournaments, Red had little time to learn the fine arts of romance. Thankfully, his older brother Blue had helped him in this department growing up, and still talked to Red in between jobs^^.

Red now discreetly watched a certain mare. He may have been dating Fancy's daughter, Fleur, but that was fine, and besides, he had permission.^^^

She was beautiful. There was no denying it, especially in this setting. She was in the garden, under the cherry blossoms, the light of the rising sun filtering through her golden mane, making it appear as though she was glowing. the simple green kimono she wore only heightened her beauty. There was no doubt, Red was infatuated with her. He had always been a sucker for pretty mares.

Hope turned her head slightly, looking at Red. She smiled and gestured for him to come sit next to her.

Red's heart did several small somersaults, but he kept calm, and walked over, carefully tucking his legs under his body as he lowered himself down.

"Beautiful sunrise, isn't it?"

"It always is after it storms. I always liked storms, because I knew they meant the sky would be all these colors when I woke up, and that gave me something to wake up and immediately be happy about."

I could make you happy too, Red thought. I just wish it was easier for me to say...

The two sat contentedly, watching as the sun slowly rose over the skyline.

***

Stag was aware of Red's affection for his sister. As was every changeling Red met back in Equestria^^^^. Stag didn't mind, and surprisingly, Chrysalis didn't mind either.

Stag however, was slightly protective of his older sister, and so he carefully watched the Pegasus whenever he was near Hope. He did have to admit, though, they DID make a cute couple.

***

When the sunrise had finished, Red and Hope walked back inside, glancing at each other and quickly looking away and blushing if the other noticed.

"Well, I have some things I need to do... this was nice, Red. Hope I can see you later."

The mare began walking away.

C'mon, get it together! Red thought to himself. Just say it!

But he couldn't, and she was gone.

"Need some help, Red?"

Red turned to look at Stag. While he might not have trusted the changeling when they first met, over time, they had developed a close friendship that bordered so close to brotherhood that Red felt he could call Chrysalis "Mom" and she would act as if it was normal.

So he nodded an affirmative. Stag grinned.

"Good. listen close. What you need to do is..."

***

Outside the palace, Twilight worked her way through the crowd towards a large building. It had not been a good morning for her, as she had the unpleasant experience of accidentally stumbling upon the royal treasure room.

*

Twilight was still figuring the palace out. Currently, that meant finding the dining room. She turned left and opened the door...

BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!

Twilight had flailed as sharp-toothed jaws closed a few inches from her.

The beast was slightly larger than a pony, and had grey fur, no visible ears, jaws like a Brumbyland Devil+, and was covered in jet-black armor. Securing it to the wall was a long chain attached to a ring embedded in an armor plate between its shoulders.

It was a Chain Chomp, a creature Twilight had read about, a close relative of the armadillo, but a LOT more dangerous. She had quickly closed the door.

*

Now Twilight stood outside one of the many things she had wanted to see since coming to Neighpon. she opened the doors...

Twilight couldn't help but stare. It was the most beautiful sight in the world.

The Imperial Library was the biggest she had ever seen^^^^^, full of ancient tomes, historic documents, and modern works, all in shelves that went from floor to ceiling, nearly 20 feet up. There were ladders and steps for those who could not fly, and Twilight made good use of them to collect a hefty stack of reading material: The Tale of Susanoo, Neighponese Practices and Customs, The Battle of the Honeycomb: an in-depth study of the Neighpon-North Griffonian War, A Guide to the Beings and Beasts of Neighpon, and a few others.

When she had finished making the selection, she sat them down on the check-out desk. Behind said desk sat a large, wiry ape, covered in reddish-orange hair and wearing glasses. The Xing-xing looked at the stack.

"Will this be all?" he asked. Thankfully, Twilight did know Ib'xian.

"Yes please."

"Library card?"

Twilight paused. The ape waited, yellow hand outstretched. When Twilight didn't give him anything...

"Let me guess, Tourist?"

His Equestrian was good, with a slight accent.

"Er... Yes."

The xing-xing sighed. "Look, I can't let you check anything out until you've gone through the system. Come back tomorrow, and I'll have it ready. Just sign these forms."

Twilight took the papers and moved to a nearby table, grumbling.

No, today was not a good day for Twilight.

Author's Note:

^Like, seriously little. when he was 10, it was easy to mistake him for 5 based on size.

^^Blue had been hired by a sect of demon hunters, and had also fallen for a local blue spa mare in Ponyville, and long story short, he's part-time demon hunter, and part-time dad.

^^^"Herding" is still considered a common practice in Equestria, and stallions dating multiple mares, or vice-versa, is not considered "cheating" so long as the other partners are aware of it. the rules are the same for changelings, and Stag and his wife Double still occasionally spiced up their 200-year-long marriage by taking breaks and dating others. Stag has a particular preference for earth ponies in addition to changelings.

^^^^Changelings, remember? Red's pent-up affection provided a light snack for most of them when they were feeling peckish.

^^^^^This was before the Crystal Empire had returned

+ This