• Published 25th Oct 2011
  • 4,163 Views, 56 Comments

Harmless Trip to Manehattan - Eclipse



Celestia calls Twilight to join her in Manehattan, and Twilight decides to have fun while there

  • ...
7
 56
 4,163

Harmless Trip to Manehattan Part 1

Harmless Trip to Manehattan

Twilight Sparkle was called for a trip to Manehattan by Princess Celestia, she didn’t understand why Celestia would ask her out to that far away from Canterlot; but she was happy to comply with the princess’ demands. She’d said good-bye to her friends and was picked up by a personal escort from Celestia to Manehattan; she’d never had a personal guard take her away before, so she was pretty ecstatic that she’d been given the chance to. She waved good-bye to her friends, only one pouting slightly that she couldn’t go with her; Twilight would’ve taken Rarity, but this was a private meeting between her and Celestia, so unfortunately, Twilight had to make the tough decision as to tell her she couldn’t go.

The trip was rather calming, she’d just seen birds and Rainbow Dash who was following the escort; who was making faces at Twilight and the guards before finally flying away after Twilight had shot more dirty looks at her than a bad comedian got at a comedy club. The only conversation she’d gotten was one of the guards, she didn’t really talk much; most of Twilight’s words hadn’t really penetrated the talkative part of her. But when she did talk, she was a rather intriguing character; telling about her life in Cloudsdale before scoring a job as a guard for the Celestia. She’d talked about how hard the men treated her; how they said that a mare didn’t belong in the Royal Guard, but she did it anyways and did a damn better job than most of them anyways.

“So, princess must think pretty highly of you to request a private conference with you outside of the castle.” The dark purple Pegasus said. Twilight looked at the mare, a smile coming across her face before just looking back at her; the same tough stare that was becoming of the Royal Guards to do.
“I’m her personal protégé, she teaches me a lot. She sent me to Ponyville to study the power and magic of friendship; that’s how I met the wonderful mares that were waving ‘good-bye’ to me before we took off.” Twilight smiled remembering how wonderful her friends were to us.

The mare guard cracked a smile, “Even that cyan Pegasus who had been making faces at us? I’ve had friends before, but this job… Let me just tell you, you have to make huge sacrifices to get by as a Royal Guard. We can barely go outside the limits of Canterlot, even on our days off. I was pleasantly shocked that this job was so strict; so when I heard about Celestia meeting with somepony outside of Canterlot, I just had to jump on that y’know?” The Pegasus smiled slightly at the lavender unicorn, who gave a smile right back.

“I thought you guards couldn’t talk to anypony, isn’t it a huge break of conduct to do so?” Twilight asked, a sad look washing over the violet pegasus’ face. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean any disgrace to you! I-I was just c-curious about that is all…” Twilight cursed herself for ruining such a wonderful conversation with a truly interesting pony.

The violet Pegasus smiled once again, “I understand; and by the way, what Celestia don’t know, won’t hurt her.” She said a slight chuckle coming from Twilight that made the violet mare’s smile grow; and seeing that the mare was now loosening up to her, it warmed her heart and made her return the same gesture of a smile right back. “I never received your name ma’am, I’m quite curious on to whom I’ve been talking with. If you don’t mind, and my name is Jamie Ralit, it’s pronounced ‘Rah-leet’ but everypony seems to not get that. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” the Pegasus extended her hoof.
Twilight connected their hooves together, “Twilight Sparkle, it’s a pleasure to meet you too Jamie. I’ll put in an excellent word for you to the princess to maybe, you know, limit your restrictions?” Twilight said snagging a smile from the Pegasus. “So, how long have you been working for Celestia,” Twilight asked formally, “She must be rather enticing to speak with every day.”

The Pegasus looked down, “We guards are strictly prohibited from direct contact with either of the princesses. Unless the situation may be dire, we have a strict ‘no contact’ rule that only allows certain guards to even hear her voice sometimes. She tells her highest guard, and he gives us the orders; no more, no less.” She finished, a sad look moving onto her face; Twilight sharing her same depression. “But don’t let my misfortunes ruin the time you may have today; and may we have further contact with each other one day.” The Pegasus said, smiling once again.

Twilight giggled, giddy that she had made a new friend already; she had only known her for about an hour now, but she felt a strong connection with her, like they weremeant to meet one another. “I’d love to, and if the idea blows over well with Celestia to limit your restrictions on your days off; you should come visit me in Ponyville sometime! I live in the old library, probably because I’m one of the only ponies in that town that actually reads; but I don’t mind, the books are soothing at times.” Twilight said a sigh of happiness escaped her lips.

“Well Ms. Sparkle, I may just take you up on that offer, but for now; we must part, we’ll reach Manehattan in a matter of minutes. I enjoyed your company, and have an excellent time with the princess today; here is your key to the hotel room you have been given. I will be in the one next door if you have any questions and or concerns.” Jamie said handing Twilight a little keycard that she immediately put into her saddlebags and gave the violet Pegasus a friendly smile as they touched down softly onto the ground of Manehattan.

Twilight exited the cab to find she was in a large city, ponies in business suits all over the place; and picture booths, electronic stores, and book stores plastered the streets. Small vendors plastered the streets softly, oat-dogs, wheat pretzels, and popcorn stands spread out all over the streets; the smell of them softly caressing the lavender unicorn’s nostrils with an exotic aroma. She embraced the smell of the vendors but remembered she had to meet Celestia at the coffee shop; and from there they would head to where they would meet. So Twilight, still tempted by the aromas caressing her nostrils, headed to a small family owned coffee shop at the edge of town.

On her way she decided to stop by a news stand to buy herself a nice newspaper, and magazine; though the prices for them were outrageous, she paid for them in full. Slightly discouraged at the insane price she’d just shelled out for two items, she decided to move directly to the coffee shop; passing billboard upon billboard across town. But she liked that lively feel of the city, the business ponies trotting to work, carriages that said ‘TAXI’ in large black letters carried ponies to and from their destinations. She found herself gawking at every turn; the beauty of the city finally getting to her, her eyes wandering all over the town’s features.

She’d finally made it to the coffee shop, Celestia drinking a large coffee silently; her eyes met with Twilight’s figure as a smile moved onto her face. “Twilight Sparkle, my most faithful student, I’m so glad you could make it.” Celestia moved towards Twilight, and extended her hoof to shake hooves with the little mare. “You must be thirsty, allow me to buy you a cup of coffee,” Celestia said, a smile crossing her face once again, “It’s the least I could do for you my wonderful protégé.” Celestia finished, moving towards the counter of the coffee shop. “May I ask what kind of coffee you prefer?” Celestia asked clamly, her eyes keeping their calming look to them.

“A French vanilla, roasted coffee with a shot of espresso and whipped cream please.” Twilight replied calmly. “Thank you princess, it was a long journey.” Twilight suddenly remembered Jamie and was going to bring up the question to Celestia. “Princess, I was talking to a Pegasus named Jamie, she said that she is restricted to Canterlot even on her days off. May I ask that you may release the restrictions so that she may one day, on her day off, visit me in Ponyville?” Twilight felt awkward bringing up a personal royal matter, what Celestia says, goes.

Celestia smiled brightly, “Made a new friend I suppose? Consider it done Twilight Sparkle, a friend of yours shall have no restrictions on my watch.” Celestia replied a smile crossing Twilight’s face; until the coffee had arrived. Celestia levitated the coffee over to Twilight, who proceeded to grasp it with her own magic now. “It’s hot right now, let it cool down before you drink it. I wouldn’t want my faithful student to have a swelled tongue from such a silly thing.” She said jokingly.

“Yes Celestia, thank you for granting such an honor upon Jamie, she is truly a wonderful pony. Very interesting too; I felt like we were only talking for a couple of minutes, but it turns out we had talked for nearly two hours! Oh how you lose track of time talking to people you truly are intrigued by; such a great personality she had, I’d never have thought I would meet a friend this far from where I was comfortable!” Twilight noticed she was dragging on, and took a sip of her coffee; which was still kind of hot, but she was impressed by the flavour it had. “Sorry, for dragging all that on Celestia. I guess I just lose control when I get excited.” She said smiling sheepishly, getting a small chuckle from the princess.

“Don’t explain yourself to me, I understand; It happens to the best of us.” Celestia said a smile coming over her face. “Twilight Sparkle, let us head out now. We still have business to see to.” Celestia said walking her and the lavender unicorn out of the coffee shop; the smell of coffee now receding slowly behind them. “Would you rather us go somewhere where there is a place to sit?” Celestia asked noticing the paper and magazine sticking slightly out of Twilight’s saddlebags. “The prices they charge are outrageous aren’t they?” Celestia asked trying to start a simple conversation with the little lavender mare.

“Oh yes, eight bits for the newspapers; and ten bits for the magazine. I never thought I’d see the day when such heart-attack inducing prices became common! But I bought them anyways, they looked interesting. I thought that they’d make for a nice night of reading, since I’m so far away from the library I just needed a bit of reading material to calm my nerves you know.” Twilight said back to Celestia who was walking beside her, and nopony even noticing them walking down the sidewalk.

“Yes, I suppose the prices are quite steep; but that’s just the price of living here. There’s not a whole lot of fertile land, so they have to truck in more supplies causing them to cost more to sell. Houses here cost about three times as much as in Ponyville, but are infinitely smaller. It’s a large city, one of the most thriving communities under rule, besides Canterlot that is.” Celestia finally finished another smile careening across her soft white face. A smile that was calming to everypony who saw it; a simple yet calming feeling washed over Twilight still taking sips from her coffee.

Her and Celestia finally got to a park, mostly not used for the busy city making it hard to peacefully play most of the time. They sat at one of the benches on the edge of the park; one of the ones furthest away from the bustling streets that the noises originated. Twilight pulled out her newspaper, and began reading to herself, the whole day had been a new experience to her as she looked up to Celestia, “Thank you for this opportunity to come here princess. Now about those matters,” Twilight said with a new stern look across her face, “What were they, and how are we to address them?” she asked.

“There was some commotion going on, I’ve already seen to it. I just need to see a friendly face to calm my nerves. I’m sorry to have done that without telling you, and for that I’m sincerely sorry.” Celestia said apologetically. “But it seems you are having fun in this city, feel free to roam the city. I have enjoyed my stay here but I must return to Canterlot at once, My sister is having trouble in the castle by herself and has just now informed me of her trouble. I wished to have spent more time with you, but I must bid you farewell my faithful student.” Celestia said, Twilight smiling falsely.

“I understand princess; royal matters come before anything else. Have a safe trip back to Canterlot.” Twilight said her face slightly drooping, not knowing what she’d do in the city without Celestia or anypony else around her. “If I may ask, is there anypony you will leave to oversee me I this city? You surely don’t want to leave your student alone wandering the city.” Twilight said, Celestia understanding the hint given to her.

“Very well, I will leave Jamie to oversee your stay in Manehattan. You may leave anytime you please, and enjoy your stay here in the city.” Celestia smiled as she got up and left the park, leaving Twilight alone at the table. Twilight began reading until a noticeable growl came from her stomach. She had forgotten she hadn’t eaten since they’d arrived in Manehattan, and she was absolutely famished. So she decided to browse the city’s vast assortment of vendors and restaurants.

’This place is amazing! I’ve never had so much fun in a single place in my life! It would be better if my friends were here though.’ the mare thought to herself, the growling snapping her back to reality. She approached a small wheat pretzel stand with a brown stallion with a pretzel as his cutie mark; his hair was a light chestnut brown, a simple colour. She cleared her throat, “Excuse me, but may I ask how much a pretzel is?” she asked, seeming to surprise the stallion.

“Oh? Sorry, not many ponies come up here anymore. I’m the only pretzel stand but these stuck up ponies always want ‘fine cuisine,’ I understand and all; but I’ve gotta stay in… Oh! Sorry, one pretzel is five bits, two is eight, and you have salted, unsalted, cinnamon, cinnamon apple, and whole grain toppings.” He said Twilight liking the sound of the whole grain pretzel.

“I’ll take two pretzels, both salted, one whole grain oat, and one wheat. They smell delicious by the way.” Twilight said, digging the bits from her saddlebag and handing them to the stallion, only now she’d noticed he was a unicorn. “It’s nice to see a unicorn like yourself; making an honest living in this city.” She said smiling at him friendly.

“Yeah, parents didn’t like that I broke off from tradition and opened a stand in Manehattan. Tradition was my family would be librarians; considering that most of my siblings didn’t have their cutis marks, I found we weren’t cut out for it. I was the only one to break from tradition; and I love it. Living on my own gets lonely sometimes though; but I like making an honest living, it defines a pony y’know?” he said handing Twilight the pretzels. “Have a great day ma’am” he said.

“May I trouble you for your name? Mine is Twilight Sparkle, and it’s been a real pleasure to meet you.” She said to him, getting a smile from the stallion.

“The name’s Jason, Jason Mynlet. And that’s ‘Min-lay’ odd pronunciation but it’s my name. But ponies around these parts just call me Pretzel Twist, and that name just kind of stuck with me.” He said smiling as Twilight walked away.

Twilight bit into the pretzel, it must’ve been one of the most delicious things she’d ever consumed; her eyes shot up after that first bite. But she happened to be so distracted by the pretzel that she ran into somepony and dropped both of her pretzels. “Oh man!” she cried out as the other pony turned around slightly.

“Who dares run into the Great and Powerful Trixie!” she said, when shock filled her eyes. “T-Twilight Sparkle?! What are you doing in Manehattan!” the azure mare screamed in complete shock, moments later looking embarrassed. “Trixie does not mean to sound surprised, she simply wants to know what your reason for arrival is.” She said lowering her head.

Twilight snapped up recognizing the voice and name, “It’s fine Trixie, I was here for a meeting with Celestia; but that is already done. I’m simply here now to have fun, now may I ask why you are in Manehattan?” Twilight asked, just as puzzled as Trixie was about her. “I mean we only saw you run right into the forest, nopony wanted to go after you. Well, some did… But I told them to leave you be, so they didn’t go after you…” Twilight sounded slightly embarrassed to be face to face with Trixie after all this time.

Trixie smiled and nodded, “Yes, I was a rather large pain in the hindquarters. But my time away from being a showmare made me think. ‘What am I doing with my life?’ So I found that I came on a rather bit strong with my arrogance and third person speaking habits. It took me a while, but I managed to lose them both. It’s nice to see you again Twilight, I wish I could’ve known you better much longer ago; but I get I was rather abrasive with my arrogance and all.” The azure mare extended her hoof for Twilight to shake.

Twilight shook her hoof with a smile on her face, “Yes, I remember all that; I’m sorry for getting you run out of town. It’s just kind of how they reacted to you; at first I admit your magic was quite good, but your gloating was absolutely unbearable. That’s the only thing that’s kept me from looking for you, the fear that you were the same as that one day; but seeing you aren’t anymore really makes me want to know you better.” Twilight said with a smile on her face, getting a shocked look from Trixie.

“D-do you really mean that Twilight? You really want to hang out with me after that stunt I pulled in Ponyville?” the azure mare said her face looking puzzled.

Twilight giggled, “Of course, seeing that you’ve changed is a great sign; maybe I should take you back to Ponyville with me so you can teach Rainbow Dash how to turn her life around. I mean just this morning she was following my personal escort making faces at all of us; I love her to death but her arrogance can really eat through you. We all realize how arrogant she is, but she has her limits; she’s learned not to be arrogant around us really, she’s getting better, but she still has her moments.” Twilight said, getting a slight smile out of the azure mare.

“Alright, it’s a date then! Oh, well in the sense that we’ll be going somewhere and such. N-not a date like um… That you know…” Trixie started blushing slightly that she had just explained that situation, which let Twilight know what she was truly thinking.

Twilight giggled again at the blushing mare, “Alright, meet me at ten in the morning at the fancy hotel at the edge of town; near the northeast entrance into town. It’s too bit to not see, I hope to see you waiting for me at ten!” Twilight smiled flirtatiously at the azure unicorn making her blush again, this time a more solid red.

“Well since you don’t have to go right away, how about me and you spend the rest of the day together. The sun doesn’t got down for a few more hours, we’ve still got time to hang out before you must return to the motel.” Trixie said smiling at Twilight with a smile that made Twilight feel good inside, like she was truly making Trixie happy.

“I’d love to,” Twilight replied her stomach growling back at her; now remembering that she’d knocked her food down when she bumped into Trixie. “Sorry, I was eating when I bumped into you, I’m still pretty hungry.” Twilight said blushing that her stomach had cut her off from such a sweet moment.

Trixie smiled softly, “Sorry about your pretzels, allow me to buy you some more. It’s the least I could do for accidently making you drop yours.” She said exchanging a smirk with the lavender unicorn.
Twilight sheepishly sunk down slightly, “Oh no, I wouldn’t want to impose on you Trixie. We just now are getting to know each other better; I wouldn’t want you to waste your money on me right now.” She said hiding her face from the azure unicorn smiling at her.

Trixie chuckled, “No, I insist you must allow me to buy you another. I’m very sorry I made you drop yours, I sincerely am.” She said picking up the lavender unicorn um from the ground she’d sat herself on; helping her up. Both were blushing at each other, slightly embarrassed by the gestures the other was making subconsciously.

Twilight smiled, happy to be with Trixie, “Alright, but later we must get real food; I mean the pretzels were good, but we need to fill our stomachs with cooked meals, and not common snaking material. There is a place that I’ve heard of here, but I’ve never been in town to try it; Supposedly it’s a quaint little Italian style restaurant. They have whole grain pasta, cheese raviolis, and a lot more I can’t even remember! They also have another menu that has food you would find anywhere else, like oat-burgers, wheat fries, oat fries; you know the things mostly everypony is used to eating. But it’d be nice to try something new.” Twilight’s eyes were locked on Trixie, waiting for a reaction from the mare.

“If that’s what you want, then so be it! We shall see it done then,” Trixie said a smile plastering itself permanently on her face. “We’ll have to split the bill though, I’m pretty short on bits right now. I’m in between jobs at the moment; I got fired for a customer saying that I was too slow in getting his order to him. Though it really is the cook’s fault, but I got fired for it; I’m really trying to find a job, but it’s not easy in a city this large. Every position out there is already filled, the only remaining options are little vendor stands; and those won’t pay my rent, I’ve been stuck in a rut ever since I cleaned up my act. But enough about my sad life, let’s go ahead and get you those pretzels.” The azure mare finished who giddily escorted the lavender unicorn back to the stand.

Pretzel Twist was surprised to see Twilight back, “Twilight! Hey, back already? What couldn’t resist coming back to visit?” he said jokingly, laughing heartily. “Oh, I see you’ve met Trixie then; she’s a pretty interesting mare, though the apartment manager is pissed that she’s becoming behind on her rent. Threatened to kick her to the curb like every bum who’s tried to free load him; I’ve seen that mare work, harder than that guy has probably ever in his life. But they’re his apartments, and all the greedy stallion wants is money.” Pretzel Twist looked at Trixie’s face, which now drooped slightly. “Oh! Sorry to divulge such personal matters Trixie, force of habit…” Pretzel said chuckling nervously.

Trixie sighed, “No, it’s quite alright; Twilight is my friend from a while back, now she knows my troubles in the city, as she should have when we ran into each other. I know how you are with secrets Jason, that’s kind of why I don’t tell you things anymore.” Trixie said her and Pretzel Twist sharing a friendly laugh. “I need four pretzels please, I accidently made Twilight drop hers; given why we’ve returned.” She said nervously.

“I get it, don’t worry, I’ll get you gals fresh ones. No charge, just try not to drop them all the time. Not good for business y’know.” He said chuckling to himself and fetching Twilight two freshly baked pretzels exactly the same as before, “And you want the usual Trixie?” he asked casually.

“Yes, the usual.” She kindly replied.

“Alright,” Pretzel replied grabbing a cinnamon pretzel and a buttered wheat pretzel. “Here you are ladies, come back anytime; a friend of Trixie’s is a friend of mine!” he said as the mares walked away thanking him for his kindness.

“That was nice of him to not charge us,” Twilight said taking a bite out of her whole grain pretzel, trying to not let herself have the same reaction as last time. “I wonder why he would do that though, he doesn’t even know me.” Twilight admitted sighing lightly under her breath to not alert Trixie to her confusion.

Trixie noticed Twilight lowering her head, “Him and I have been good friends since I first arrived here in Manehattan. He was extremely nice to me, obviously trying to lure me in as a customer; and eventually I caved. I bought a pretzel to get him from bothering me; he was being rather the pest to my standards, but that was the old me. I took a bite, and I’ve been a regular ever since; and later I learned when I got an apartment; he was my neighbor right across the hall. We started talking every day, him and his wife are truly interesting characters; and their little colt is just absolutely the cutest little guy ever!” Trixie said taking a bit out of her cinnamon pretzel and laughing making Twilight smirk happily. “But given the current situation, I have been told numerous times to come up with rent money or I’d be kicked out; even though I’m only a month behind. But it’s tough, I’ve got nearly no job experience; and every job I apply for is either filled or requires a matter of years of prior experience. I’ve been able to manage off of bare necessities; food, water, electricity, and clothing. Though I’m not getting my full assortment of nutrients, it makes it easier to pay my bills; but now they’re just piling up.” Trixie sighed, her eyes starting to water.

The sight touched Twilight, seeing the azure unicorn actually feeling something was quite the shock to her. She stopped and put her hoof around Trixie’s neck to comfort her, her teary eyes looking at her in surprise. “Don’t worry Trixie, if you’d like; I’ll help pay for your rent. And if worse comes to worst, I’ll allow you to live with me in the library back in Ponyville, I’m sure my friends will forgive you seeing that you’ve changed.” Twilight said trying to reassure the unicorn, stroking her mane to try and calm her nerves seeing how she was under a lot of stress.
Trixie sniffled and replied, “I cannot take your money Twilight, I wouldn’t feel right having you pay for something of that magnitude for me.” She said lowering her head again, clearly showing Twilight how truly depressed the mare was with her life.

“I insist Trixie, I will not take no for an answer and that is final!” Twilight said smiling warmly and friendly back to the crying mare. “I know your life is hard, but you’ve come to know great ponies on your stay here and I, Twilight Sparkle, shall do absolutely everything in my power to ensure that you may stay in Manehattan and not have to leave the life you’ve made for yourself!” she finished, her words perking up the spirits of the unicorn who now stood up smiling at Twilight.

Trixie leaned in close to Twilight’s ear and whispered ‘Thank you,” and kissed her on the side of the cheek; causing both to jump back a little and blush at each other. “I-I’m sorry, I don’t know where that came from; forgive me…” she said apologetically to Twilight whose blush was a strong solid red. Trixie blushed that she’d just done that, letting her feelings make her body do things that her brain didn’t want it to.

Twilight smiled, “It’s alright, I guess that’s sort of what happens sometimes when you go around trying to be a motherly figure to somepony.” She said jokingly knowing Trixie’s true reason for kissing her. Twilight looked at the time; they’d been talking for two whole hours, actually more like two and a half now. “Oh my, I’d better get to the hotel; it’s nearly the end of the day, please forgive me Trixie. Remember Trixie, ten o’ clock, don’t keep me waiting for too long!” Twilight said slowly trotting away, leaving a now smiling Trixie behind in her path.