• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 2,436 Views, 151 Comments

Pessimism and Sarcasm - Jerec the Ascendant



It's a self insert where I end up in Equestria around the beginning of Season 4 and accompany the Main Six in their adventures.

  • ...
60
 151
 2,436

Chapter 4: The Difference is as Plain as Day....

Pessimism and Sarcasm

Chapter 4

The Difference is as Plain as Day...

Ponyville around us is now totally devoid of its citizens. To make this complete, a tumbleweed even drifts by. I can hear the wind whistling through the streets. The only ones left it seems are Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Spike, myself, and that aquamarine Unicorn that I saw on the way to the train station. She stood where I last saw Pinkie, making Fluttershy seem like an extrovert. None of these ponies were confused, though.

After a quick look around, Twilight just gives me a small smile, which leads to an odd squeak, and she finally lets out a nervous chuckle. Why am I the only one confused by the town’s sudden disappearance? I turn to the new arrival and say, "Uhm, hello there."

She squeals and ducks behind Applejack, peering up at me from behind her.

"Okay then. Twilight, care to explain to me what's going on?"

She’s still grinning at me, with wide darting eyes. “How about we go into the library? I'll explain everything in there!" She starts heading to the door, letting out another nervous laugh. I raise one of my eyebrows. She opened the door revealing a pitch black room.

Oh, this isn't happening. Twilight motioned with one foreleg for me to enter. No no no.

I reluctantly walk through the door, and all Tartarus breaks loose.

The lights blaze, revealing the entire town and Pinkie Pie, none of them as nervous as earlier. Balloons, streamers, and confetti burst out of every corner. In the center of the room was a large banner, the text on which everypony shouts.

"Welcome to Ponyville!!" How did I not see this coming? Curse you, hindsight.

Pinkie Pie comes bouncing up, her face brimming with excitement. She stops right in front of me, still bouncing. How does she do this?

"So how do you like the party? I've been planning it since Chapter Two!"

I roll my eyes. "It's really great Pinkie- Whoa, wait. What do you mean by Chapter Two?"

She shrugs. "Oh, you know!" Her face falls blank for a half a moment, before returning to its original glee. "Come on, I've got to introduce you to everypony!" She starts pulling me around the room with strength that’s impossible to fight, and she points and names all the ponies in the room.

It takes an entire hour to introduce me to everyone. Being pulled around the room combined with her rapid-fire speech takes its toll. Just how does she keep going? She's like the pony version of the Energizer bunny! Which I just realized is pink, and carries a bass drum.

None of the ponies she introduced me to, including the ones that had seen me before and reacted with a nervous curiosity and fear, had any signs of that anxiety. In fact, some were quite the opposite, smiling widely, saying gleeful “hello”s, and even giving me a hand/hoof shake. Only in Ponyville. When in doubt, throw a party.

As the party goes on into the night, ponies eventually start filing out. However, it felt like it was never going to end. Vinyl Scratch was in one corner of the room, blasting music on her turntable. There was also a dance floor in that area, where ponies were getting down. In the other corner there were tables of snacks and drinks.

It was probably another good two or three hours before the last ponies were leaving. The mane six and Spike remained, but the last two ponies were just leaving. It was the aquamarine one and a tan earth pony with a purple and pink mane. What were their names again? Oh right, Lyra and Bonbon. When Pinkie introduced me to Lyra, the Unicorn hid behind her mane and peeked out at me. Bonbon nudged her shoulder, and smiled at me awkwardly when Lyra refused to stop hiding.

She just looks at me with the same strange interest as she leaves, and Bonbon just shakes her head at her shy friend.

The clean-up doesn't take long; between magic and Pinkie’s inexhaustible energy, it’s done in about five minutes. After that, we call it a night, and everypony leaves, worn out from the crazy party.

Meanwhile, in the real world:

"Another chapter down." I scroll up, and am just about to click the save button when I notice a speck of pink on the screen, slowly getting larger. "What the heck?"

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie fills the screen. "Hey, why does walking around the town get almost five thousand words and my party only gets a little over a thousand?!"

I fall back in my chair with a yelp. She crosses her forelegs and stares at me.

"Why, huh? WHY?!"

"Uh, how about I just make it up to you when I get to the Cheese Sandwich episode? I'll go off on things that may have happened during RD's party. How's that sound?"

"YAY!"

Author's Note:

Yay, fourth wall!

Once again comments, questions, concerns, odd ball thoughts.

As usual looking for an artist or group of artists. More info on my blog post.