• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 2,428 Views, 151 Comments

Pessimism and Sarcasm - Jerec the Ascendant



It's a self insert where I end up in Equestria around the beginning of Season 4 and accompany the Main Six in their adventures.

  • ...
60
 151
 2,428

Chapter 9: An Afternoon of Puzzlemint

Author's Note:

It feels to me that the Author's notes I make are being ignored, so from now on, they'll be at the top.

In no way is this a depiction of the way Josh Scorcher acts in public as I have no idea. This is just more or less a depiction of how, at least in my view, most of my attempts to converse with him on Steam go.

As I said before I'm going to be doing a Q/A chapter, and eventually start working on a Zoids: NCZ crossover. For more details on either look to the blog posts.

After the chapter feel free to comment, actually please comment, I need feedback on how I'm doing. Also, if anyone wishes to do some form of spin-off, or different POV of the story, please contact me before doing so, just on the slight chance that someone feels like doing that.

Pessimism and Sarcasm

Chapter 9

An Afternoon of Puzzlemint

I make my way around the town, acclimating myself to my new home. The weather, being controlled by Pegasi, is too perfect. There’s not a single grey cloud in the sky to brighten my mood. I decided to take this moment to get away from Twilight after the second scratching incident, to let her clear her head. The town however seems to still be as unnerved by my presence as I am about being here. The ponies around the town practically go out of there way to avoid me. My ninja skills don't mean anything here, I stick out like a sore thumb. I can't disappear in crowds of ponies.

Every so often I glance behind me - I keep getting this feeling that I’m being followed. As colorful as all of them are, their numbers conceal individuals, and one of them keeps pulling off my own ninja skills against me. The feeling is making me anxious, almost sickeningly so. Though every now and then I catch a glimpse of the possible suspect, a bit of mint green fur disappears from view every time. Still, I continue on my less-than-merry way through the town.

As I wander along, I notice a familiar pony, despite never being in the show. He’s a red unicorn with a bright blond mane and a fiery tiki mask cutie mark. Where have I seen him before? Wait a second, JoshScorcher's reviews of the show end with art featuring this unicorn. So this is the pony version of Josh. Wonder if he's as talkative here as he is on Earth. Then again, I never actually met Josh on Earth, just through Steam. Well, may as well see. I politely wave to him as we pass by each other.

“Yo,” I say. There isn't much of a reaction, just a short glance and he slightly picks up his pace. Seems about right.

I keep going, until I come to a small park bench. I sit down, and try to relax, though the bench is rather uncomfortable. I lean my head back and stare into the sky.

Some time passes before I’m roused by a creak from the other side of the bench. I look over and recognize Lyra. Why is it she seems to show up wherever I am? She looks startled, like she was trying to sneak onto the bench and would have succeeded were it not for the creak. She sits there, refusing to look at me, fidgeting and trying to focus on the ground in front of her. A bright blush spread across her cheeks.

I look at the sky again, watching the birds and pegasi fly around, while pondering all the oddities around me. Every so often Lyra shifts around in her seat; I glance at her each time. Eventually she starts twiddling her hooves. If she's so nervous around me, why doesn't she just leave? Is she the one that's been following me all day? Never mind, I think I'll just head back to Twilight's now. As I get up to leave, Lyra grunts softly, lifting a hoof in protest. I turn to her and give her a chance to speak. However, she just stares at me with her mouth open. I turn and continue on my way.

As I leave, I glance back over my shoulder and notice her friend walking up to her, her hoof to her forehead. Lyra says something to her, but Bonbon just shakes her head. I’m a little curious to know what they’re saying, but the sun is beginning to set, so I just keep going.

I get back to the Library and immediately set to watching a favorite old anime. I put in my headphones, as it isn't exactly an appropriate show for young ears. Ah, Outlaw Star. Good times. If only I could get the censored Toonami dub. Well, considering Twilight "Pinkie-promised” not to watch, I should be fine. However, I make sure to pay attention to my surroundings, to keep a certain young dragon from this definitely not child appropriate anime.

Though the rest of the day went off without a hitch, I go to bed with some concern for the next day. Starting tomorrow I'm Ponyville's newest masseur, and that's definitely going present some awkward moments. Oh well. At least in a few days Twilight will be taking me to that old castle to look for a way home. She mentioned something else, too, about searching for some information regarding some lockbox.