• Published 4th Apr 2014
  • 3,686 Views, 180 Comments

Big News - not the real VAV



After being happily married, Fluttershy and Big Macintosh couldn't be happier. That is, until, Fluttershy gets some shocking news.

  • ...
15
 180
 3,686

A Big Surprise

Fifteen Weeks into the Pregnancy

Fluttershy took the quilt off from her yellow body, hurrying off to the bathroom. She traveled as fast as her small, yellow legs could carry her, rushing inside the bathroom.

Mac was most likely still asleep. Sometimes Fluttershy incidents woke him which made her feel slightly bad. He worked so hard on the farm and helped her so much through this pregnancy that he needed sleep, too.

She didn’t hear any hoofsteps which was good. Fluttershy flushed the toilet and washed her hooves. She rubbed her eyes and splashed water on her face to wake herself up. The mare gazed into the mirror to study her frayed self.

She really was excited to be a mother. So very much, there was no doubt. And she didn’t even feel scared that something would go wrong. But she did feel tired of being hungry and sick and sleepy and weak. She hated when she snapped and there would be a mood swing. They didn’t happen too often, thank Celestia, but when she did it wasn’t pleasant.

Being four months pregnant, at least seven remained. And today, she’d find out if it was a filly or a colt.

Fluttershy walked out of the bathroom, switching the light off. She could go to bed so she might as well wait for Mac to return.
………

With today being a big day, Fluttershy was anxious. She really wanted to see the foal but was scared she was doing something wrong. What if she was starving it? What if she was feeding it too much? What if that one time she really wanted chocolate cake –

“Shy, calm down. This isn’t yer first checkup. They’ve seen how the foal’s doing. We’re just gonna’ see if it’s a he or a she. Yer a great mother.” Mac comforted.
Fluttershy nodded but her nerves were still bothering her.

“Let’s get going. We don’t wanna’ be late.”


“Mrs. Apple?”

The hospital was fairly empty. Only a few ponies, a colt with a painful headache, a mare with a fever, and a stallion with a broken wing, were there. Of course said mare looked up nervously. The nurse beckoned her over.

She looked over to Mac who nodded.

It was time.


“Well Mrs. Apple, everything is going well. You’re eating well, they’re eating well. Just keep doing what you’re doing and they’ll be fine.” Dr. Saline said while smiling.

Fluttershy and Mac didn’t pick up on the odd pronoun the doctor said at first.

Then, Fluttershy’s head popped up.

“They? W-wait, you said t-they?” She asked with wide eyes. Mac’s eyes went wide in surprise, too.

“Yes. The filly and colt are doing well.”

“FILLY?” Mac asked his jaw dropping.

“AND?” Both said in unison.

“COLT?” Fluttershy finished, surprise written on her face. The medical stallion chuckled and nodded. “Ha! Why yes indeed! You are pregnant with fraternal twins, my dear! Congratulations!”

Mac stared blankly at the doctor, his eyes wide and mouth open. Fluttershy, however, had a he smile as she studied her belly. She’d give birth to a filly and colt almost at the same time. Would they be alike in any way? They weren’t identical twins but they could still look similar, right?

“Oh what a pleasure!” Fluttershy wrapped her hooves around Mac’s neck, hugging him tightly. “Twins! How exciting! Two bundles of joy at once!” She squeed, her smile somehow growing.

“Uh…eeyup?” Mac faked a smile. Fluttershy was too anxious to notice her husband’s unsure tone.

Fluttershy faced Dr. Saline and asked, “Back when I had fainted, a few weeks ago, is this what you suspected? What your ‘theory’ was?”

The unicorn nodded. “It was, Mrs. Apple. You seemed to be going through a lot more trouble than a regular pregnant mare. I wasn’t positive if you truly were having two foals, an ultrasound would never be able to tell at three weeks. But it looks like I was correct.”

The two continued to talk while Mac turned his head away.

Twins? Two foals to care for at the same time? Mac’s early fear of doubt returned with vengeance. Ah could handle one with her help but two? What if only one likes me? What if neither of them likes me? What if-

“Mac?” his wife’s sweet voice called.

“H-huh?” the farm horse looked up.

“Are you okay? I was calling you for a bit. Are you ready to go home?” She asked. The doctor was looking at him as well. Mac nodded and got to his hooves. He held out a hoof to his wife for her to hold on to. She lowered herself down from the table and onto the floor.

Dr.Saline nodded, took his papers, and led them out of the room.


Fluttershy hadn’t said anything further on the matter until they were in a more secluded area. She looked about, scanning for any ear-witnesses. Once she was positive they were alone, she leaped onto Mac and nuzzled into his neck.

“Twins, Mac! Twins! Mhmm…” she moved her head up on top of his, trying to look down into his emerald eyes. He had to move his head upwards and she had to reposition herself to have them finally look into each other’s eyes.

Once Fluttershy saw he didn’t share her giddy smile, hers dropped. Her ears drooped, too.

“What’s wrong, sugarcube?” Mac asked spotting the sad look he didn’t like on his lover.

“You aren’t happy about this, are you?” Fluttershy asked looking distraught. She thought her husband would share in on her happiness but the look on her face told her he didn’t.

“Ah am…Ah am…” he tried to reassure. Fluttershy kept her frown. Mac gave in.

“Alright…Ah’m…Ah’m nervous. Ah’m scared. W-what if Ah’m a bad dad. Ah felt this way when ya first found out you were pregnant. But it went away. You’d be there to help me. But, now it’s back. One we could handle. Two…well…Ah don’t-,” Mac’s eye had been drooping in sadness but opened wide as he felt lips contact with his.

Fluttershy was leaning over him, giving him an upside down kiss. He got a view of her neck which he was tempted to nip at. He knew better though, a nip would lead to a passionate kiss which would lead to a much more heated situation and Fluttershy was pregnant.

She broke off, climbing off from his back.

She stretched her body, flexing her wings. While closing her eyes, absorbing the sunlight, Mac lightly nipped the edge of her wing. Fluttershy’s eyes opened wide and she gasped. Against Fluttershy’s will her wings popped up from her back, making her face look as red as a ripe strawberry.

Mac stopped from going any further, knowing any more immature attacks would get both of them excited.

“Come on, let’s head back inside.” He nudged Fluttershy’s behind to get her walking. She started to trot, her head facing downwards, her wings still up. Mac held in his laughter, following after his wife. He made sure to distance himself from her, however. Fluttershy didn’t like being embarrassed in an “intimate” matter if she wasn’t ready and she’d be annoyed at him soon enough.