• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 8,408 Views, 520 Comments

Titanfall: New Horizons - Necrogen Lord



Militia Pilot Joshua finds Equestria at war and decides to take names and assist ponies.

  • ...
25
 520
 8,408

Findings and Awaking

Joshua jumped to a start as he felt himself drowning in the sweat of his bunk. He reached for his forehead and began to wipe away the accumulated liquid with his hands as he panted slowly, trying to calm himself from the terrible nightmare he had. Yet again. He remembered it all too well. He got up from the middle bunk, throwing the blanket atop the mattress, and made his way to the crew restrooms. As he walked across the cold metal floors of the Horizon, he remembered the terrible nightmare that had been forsaking him for years now.

\\\\\\//////

It was just another drop against the Militia, like any other day for the Pilot and his team. They were supposed to guard the anti-ship cannons from any kind of sabotage operation the Militia may take against the facility and ensure the functionality of the gun at any cost, even their Titans. That was when they had their real taste of Militia resistance. Up until then, Joshua just assumed that the Militia were just stealing fuel so they could evacuate their raiders, all the while covering up their tracks to ensure that the pirates that founded it could loot out valuables from the abandoned cities and profit on them at the expense of innocents. That's one of the reasons he signed up for the IMC Pilot Corps. He despised the idea of good people being forced out of their homes and loosing their property to pirates after an unnecessary war. That's why he signed up, to bring justice to those who made others suffer for their ultimate gain. That, and the fact that he had family to protect. His parents were mid-class workers in the cities of New Henoi, or what the area was known as to the Spyglass, Fracture. They didn't live in luxury, but it was still a good life-style they lived. They married pretty early, considering that Joshua was about 23 when he signed up for the Pilot training. That, and the fact that he now had a younger brother and sister to look after now, as well. They looked up to him in ways that made him fight even harder, to ensure they had a safe place to grow up in. Until the Militia rolled into the city.

It was just a routine mission to ensure that the Militia couldn't fuel up on their necessities, or that they wouldn't let a bounty of shitty treasures go to waste. So, when the Militia began to attack the city, Joshua decided to make sure that they wouldn't come close to harming his home while he was still kicking. After killing every Pilot at the guns, Joshua decided to call in on his parent's personal communicators, and find out how they were doing. He heard that they made it aboard the evacuation ships just as the invading forces had begun to drop Titans in to kill civilians. Titans to kill civilians. Joshua nearly threw down his arms at the mention of this, but was thankful to hear that his little siblings had made it out just fine as well. Until he heard the name of the ship they made it aboard: the Redeye. He looked out to the ship that the Militia had over the city: the very same ship. Then, the guns fired off. He heard his family panicking over the comms and tried to process everything going on at once.

Right up to the point of the ship exploding in the middle of the sky-line, and the channel going dead simultaneously. He dropped to his knees and let his carbine fall flat onto the ground as the admirals began to chat over the comm. Almost no Militia warships were hit. At all. But they were able to take down 536 civilian ships from orbit, as well as stop their final evacuation from Frontier space. All according to plan. To their plan. To the IMC's plans. Not to Joshua. Not to his family that had been killed by his own victory. The victory that will haunt him for the rest of his days.

\\\\\\//////

Joshua awoke fully as he felt the cold shower smack his senses back into him, from the face to his feet. He looked down at his pale skin, bleached from the lack of sunlight inside an Ogre cockpit for half the war. He slowly regained himself over this morning's reminder of why he now fought with the Militia. Sure, they weren't too trusting at first, but after hearing his story, refitting his Ogre, and giving him a Militia patch, they were willing to let his actions slide. This time. Unfortunately, the IMC was not as forgiving. He was branded as a high-value terrorist by Spyglass, and a traitor by his own former brothers-in-arms.

A high-pitch crackle in his ear-piece quickly brought him out of his thoughts as he was addressed by the ship's crew monitor, Diana.

"Look alive, Josh, the crew's expecting you." he heard her call out in her regularly nonchalant attitude.

"Why the hell would they expect me? Because I'm the Ogre Pilot?" Joshua asked in his mono-toned raspy voice.

"Best Ogre Pilot this side of the Battlegroup, and no, not that, but you missed something big after your little scuffle at the last fuel-raid. The ship was ambushed by a Brick after you went lights-out, and the CO and XO were KIA, leaving you as the highest ranking officer on the ship. So, naturally, they want to see their new commander-in-chief in the flesh before we end up having an undirected mutiny. So, congrats... Captain Joshua."

Joshua felt his heart suddenly burst into a race as he felt the moment hit him like an Atlas drop.

He was now in charge of one of the few Destroyers left in Battlegroup Omega. The Titan-droppers. The official commanding officer was now a Pilot. This was definitely one for the history books. If there were any left after the war.

"Damn. Alright then, time to shift into gear then, huh?" he asked as he switched off the shower and started to wring out his mid-length brown hair.

"Might want to check with Engineering before anything else though. We're not exactly close to mutiny, but they need a leader. Especially now. You'll figure out soon enough why. Bridge out."

As the comms specialist hung up, Joshua began to don his semi-casual wear, a standard forest-green tee-shirt along with his combat-harness pants and jump boots. About as casual as a Pilot can get nowadays. He fiddled with his dog tags as he looked into the mirror. The new commanding officer of Horizon. The best Ogre Pilot in the group. Best Pilot on board, and now the toughest son-of-a-bitch in the Battlegroup. If there was one left, that is. He made his way to the exit and filed into the main elevator shaft, allowing for a quick transport to the lower decks.

After about thirty seconds (or what felt like a thousand years) Joshua made his way out of the elevator and into the main room for Engineering. He found a muscular, slightly darker-toned man at the console, pushing buttons in a way that only a machine could attempt to match. Attempt. This man was proof that they didn't need to resort to the same low as IMC yet. He turned in his seat to see the elevator's new drop-off, and stood out of his seat and popped a salute as quick as lightning.

"Officer on deck!" he shouted, revealing a goatee that admittedly made Joshua jealous, and a stern look of a trustworthy soldier.

Joshua returned the salute and lowered his arm, signalling the 'at ease' status for the only two on deck.

"Ramirez, anything to report?" Joshua asked in a commanding tone.

"Well, since you were outed by the last ground engagement, we were ambushed by a Brick-class war-ship before we could jump with the fleet. Not only did it tag the CO and XO, but it ended up gutting the main control routes to the Warp-drive as well. We've been trying to find a solution to work around it, but no luck. Good news, though, we're gonna run out of hyper-fuel soon, which means we'll automatically drop out of Warp when we get too low, and we can look around the system we drop into for any kind of signs or a way back." he responded.

"What are the odds of dropping right into an IMC fleet?"

Ramirez shook his head slowly as he responded.

"Don't know sir, you'll have to take that up with the Bridge crew. They're the ones who were monitoring the jump, start to finish, we were just making sure we didn't explode half-way."

Joshua gave a solid nod to the engineer before responding.

"In that case, keep up the great work. I'll make way to the bridge."

"Aye aye, sir!" he saluted before returning to the table, activating the cross-channels to control the entire net of engineers in the ship.

Joshua left for the elevator and rode up to the bridge. When he exited, he was greeted with a colder and brighter atmosphere, along with armored-up windows, signs of breach by, most likely, the infamous Brick that killed the staff.He walked into the room and was greeted the same way as before, with crisp salutes and a standing crew, awaiting a command to stand down. Joshua returned the salutes and declared 'at ease', allowing for the crew to return to their posts. He walked up to the center consoles and addressed the officers at work.

"Anything to report, Corporal?"

The young ginger turned in his seat and looked up at the Pilot with awe and a sense of sorrow on his face.

"A few things, sir. First off, congratulations on the promotion. Secondly, we suffered minimal damage from the surprise attack, aside from the Warp-drive, but that's debatable. Third off, statistics and previous charting angles say that we should land outside of known space, shortly out of range from abandoned research outposts, so there shouldn't be any kind of IMC fleet waiting for us."

"Good to hear." Joshua felt his nerves relax a bit as he heard this good news. They wouldn't be ambushed by any fleet now, but there was still the matter of finding a way home.

"Fourth off, we're running desperately low on food in cold-storage and there isn't enough Emergency Rations to go around, sir. We may need to go to ground in the next system we come across."

Shit. Now there was a new priority. Finding food before they all starved to death aboard a faster-than-light metal coffin.

"Alright. Do we know what system we're going to come out in? Any kind of intel I should know?"

"Well, sir, we did find some old files about the system. A total anomaly by any standards. The readings show that there is potential for a colony-prepped world with signs of liquid water, but check this out."

As he said this, a large holographic screen was displayed on top of the metal window-screens, showing charts of the system and a picture that caught the Pilot's eye.

He was no physicist, had no degree in spacial theories, or any kind of astronomical wizard by any means, but he was sure of some things. One of them being that stars usually have planets revolve around them. Not the other way around.

"Is that star orbiting a planet?"

"Yes sir."

"Without turning it into a ball of lava?"

"Affirmative."

"Am I drugged right now?"

"Not to our knowledge, sir. If you were, I think there might be a leak on the ship, or the data bases, because all images show the same thing. The star of the system and the planet's own moon are the same size and orbit in the same back-and-forth pattern around the planet. We have literally no idea whatsoever about how the hell that works, but it's a damn mystery for sure."

Before Joshua could respond, however, the ship shook violently as a massive moan rocked through the hull, sending a pulse throughout all of the computers on the bridge, and nearly toppling the Pilot. As they began to recover, a radio signal beamed from Joshua's ear.

"Captain *cough cough* are you there, over?" he heard Ramirez call.

"The FUCK was that!?" he shouted back.

"Unknown anomaly that ruptured the fuel lines. We're out of Warp, sir, but we're gonna need a few days to fix the drive before we can turn for an emergency jump."

"Dammit!" he shouted as he punched the side of a console, breaking some screens and buttons in the process. He slowly backed his hand away with caution, remembering his Pilot strength, and turned to the officer.

"Wesley, what's our status?"

"Hull seems to be intact, sir. No casualties on any decks, but you may want to see this."

He pushed some buttons and revealed the image of what lied ahead of the ship. The only difference from the previous scene was the close proximity of the moon itself, and how they were now drifting alongside it's gravitational edge.

"Holy shit." Joshua muttered.

The planet looked far more like a colony than some random planet that they were used to seeing out on the Frontier. In fact, this planet looked more like Earth than anything else.

"Send a probe." Joshua commanded.

"Sir?"

"I want to know if that thing's inhabited or not before we go looking for anything."

"Thinking for a solution to the food problem already, sir?"

"Maybe we'll strike some luck and trade a few parts for some plants or something."

"Think that's a possibility sir?"

Wesley then punched in a code to the console as the view showed high-velocity drones were shot towards the planet. For a few minutes, there was silence. Until the drone cameras began to flood the view-port of the bridge. Small rustic towns were shown, along with a 21st century like city, resembling the ruins of Chicago, and a mountain-side castle, with golden edges along it's walls. Metal tracks stretched across some expanses of land as deserts began to fill into the view, showing an even smaller town with tree fields next to it. An entire alien civilization lay before them, and it was obvious what they were all thinking:

"God damn." Joshua heard. He turned to see the staff sergeant, Rebecca Soyscheat, and walked over to her, finally letting the fact that he was a foot taller than everyone sink in.

"Prep a shuttle for launch. I'm going down there as soon as we get a team ready."

She blinked a few times at him and responded.

"Sir, I can't recommend that. We have no idea what's down there. It could be a death-trap!"

"And that's why I'm going. I faced off against whole teams of Titans, remember? I can handle more than a few simple aliens."

"What if they barf acid, sir? Or have some kind of advanced cloaking technologies?"

"A, Their homes are made of wood, so, not likely and B, we have that too. Just ready a team to drop and tell Titan droppers to ready a custom Atlas. I need versatility, and nothing says versatility to me like a good old-fashioned Atlas mech. I can handle myself, and if it gets too hot, just drop in a few rounds from orbit, and problem solved."

"Salvos ready for combat, sir!" one of the bridge technicians said, responding to Joshua's suggestion.

He turned to Rebecca and nodded before heading off to the armory.

"Sir," she started, causing the Pilot to stop mid step, "Good luck."

He nodded once more and continued to the armory and docking bay, determined to fight whatever he had to for the safety of his crew, and eventually the good of the Frontier.

\\\\\\//////

Luna jumped up and gasped at the sudden burst of energy within her realm. She felt her entire body surge with said disturbance as she felt her heart nearly jump out of her.

She burst from her bedroom and ran down the halls, ignoring the calls from the guards, and proceeded straight to the main council chamber. Luna then barged in and found herself among the Canterlot royalties in seconds, being shot disapproving looks from all of the snobbish ponies at once. However, there was one glare that she followed to the source: her sister.

She trotted up to her throne and began to speak.

"Sister, we need to speak with thou, immediately." she spoke.

"Luna, now is not the time. Can it wait?" Celestia returned.

"No sister, it cannot wait. We are afraid that it cannot wait. There was a massive disturbance by my Moon. And it has not budged since. In fact, it's staying in place while sending more disturbances towards us."

At this, Celestia stood from her chair and pardoned herself. She flew over the stairs and began to trot alongside her sister, stirring up the conversation.

"What do you mean it hasn't left? All magical disturbances like asteroids always pass by. Did it crash?"

"No, it just stopped out of nowhere. It hit the field of magic I control around the Moon, and then appeared. It seems to be staying there, but like I said earlier, It's sent out smaller ones to our cities. I've been watching them, and they seem to be observing us. We believe that we are dealing with an extra celestial presence. An alien ship."

"Luna... Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Then we should ready our contact procedures. Prepare the Lunar Guard to watch the stars as I ready my Solar Guard to ready up barracks in towns across Equestria. I only hope the Griffons and Minotaurs can stand down long enough to realize this revelation. We don't need any more surprises from them, especially now that we have bucking aliens to deal with."

Luna nodded and headed off for the Lunar Guard barracks as Celestia looked into the skies above Equestria. There was no telltale sign of any kind of disturbance now, but she could tell that they would all soon look up at the sky in a different way. Whether it would be in welcome or in fear, only time would tell.

And even then, she couldn't tell what time would do.

For it could happen in days, or months or years even, or-

"Your majesty! A strange creature has been sighted over Ponyville! It came from the sky!"

At this, Celestia panicked inside and outside, flailing her head to the guard and back to the window, trying to spot the alien craft of any kind of make, and began to gallop for her guards, ready to fight for her kingdom, and protect her little ponies, at any cost.