• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,980 Views, 369 Comments

Sunset Rekindled - EldritchNexus



Sequel to "Sunset Eclipsed". Sunset Shimmer and her friends go on a new adventure that takes them to Las Pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and beyond..

  • ...
 369
 1,980

PreviousChapters Next
The Canterlot Archives

Sunset Shimmer was in the throne room with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

"Look, I just wanna say first, that I'm so sorry that I didn't send you any messages like I promised." said Sunset.

"You really worried me, Sunset." said Luna, sourly.

"And I bet you wanna let me have it, don't you?" said Sunset. "I wouldn't blame ya, either. I did get pretty side-tracked while in Las Pegasus."

But Luna sighed comfortably.

"I sometimes contemplate whether I should chastise a student for going out on their word." said Luna. "But I am just glad that you were able to return in one piece."

"And I am, too." said Celestia. "And you've really impressed me, Sunset Shimmer. You managed to take on one of the most powerful non-royal ponies in Equestria without any help from us or the guards."

"And I was also able to bring my entire family back together, after we were all separated for so long." said Sunset.

"And for that, I congratulate you." said Celestia. "I don't think anypony could understand more than me what it is like to be separated from one's family for such a lengthy period of time. So it warms my heart to see a family be brought back together."

"I share this feeling too, sister." said Luna.

"I just wish that Lionel Summerset understood that." said Sunset. "Family and friendship are two very important factors of life. Instead of embracing them, he tossed them aside in favor of power and control. He only wanted to improve Las Pegasus to fit his own designs, not to help its citizens. If he exhibited true sympathy for others, my family would've come back together a lot quicker."

"A very wise thing to say, Sunset." said Luna. "And very true, too."

"But I don't think he'll get a chance to try again any time soon, since he's in prison." said Sunset. "Unless you count community service."

"We will just have to see how time unfolds." said Celestia.

"And if it's alright, could I go to the archives?" asked Sunset. "I've got some catching up to do with my dad."

"Permission granted, my student." said Luna.

"Thanks!" said Sunset, turning to leave.

She went down to the archives, where her father was busy reading a few old books about Saddle Arabian legends and lore.

"Hello, my dear." said Golden Sun. "I'm just reading these books to make sure that my knowledge of Saddle Arabia isn't rusty. I was thinking of going there someday."

"You don't plan on battling King Nelphyn, do you?" asked Sunset, concerned.

"Heavens no!" said Golden Sun. "I was hoping to go there for research purposes. There are a lot of old stories from that land that have yet to be verified, after all."

"But you just recently got reunited with me and the rest of the family." said Sunset. "Don't you want to take it easy at all?"

"Of course, daughter." said Golden Sun. "But it doesn't mean I don't want to at least keep my experience as a professor from going to waste! Would you like to read some of these books with me, Sunset? You may be able to learn more about your mother's ancestors."

"Okay, I don't see why not." said Sunset, taking a seat and reaching for a book.

The book she grabbed had a black cover and read, in gold letters, 1,001 Saddle Arabian Nightmares. Sunset opened up the book and saw that it was a book about the various monsters said to inhabit Saddle Arabia, and contained a collection of stories that featured them.


Meanwhile in Saddle Arabia, it was a few hours past midnight when Silver Schmitar and his two companions reached the edge of the red-tinted dome of energy around Mareusalem. The three circled the radius, searching for a way in. One of the paladins, a twenty-five-year-old stallion named Green Sabre, hoof-punched the dome, causing the surface of the dome to shimmer and flicker. But it did not fade. He tried again and again, to no avail.

"Sabre, be careful!" said Silver Schmitar. "We have no idea what the one who placed that dome over the city has planned."

"But there's something about this magic that confuses me!" said Green Sabre.

"And that's what concerns me!" said Silver Schmitar. "I suggest backing away immediately!"

Suddenly, a flash of light appeared on the inside of the dome, and the dark form of King Nelphyn materialized.

"Who dares intrude upon my territory?!" he said to them.

"So you are the one that placed this shield over our city?!" said Silver Schmitar. "Explain yourself, sorcerer!"

"Sorcerer? I am no mere magician!" said King Nelphyn. "I am a king whose power is unparalleled! I am the true ruler of this nation!"

"We answer only to the sultan, you pretender!" said Green Sabre.

"Your sultan is the pretender!" said King Nelphyn. "His rule is but a cheap imitation of a true leader's. If you wish to serve that old fool, then you may join him in imprisonment!"

A red flash of light sprang from the Alicorn Amulet, and Green Sabre vanished.

"And now I give you two a mere twenty seconds to flee." said King Nelphyn. "Before I send my minions to hunt you down."

"You are a monster!" said Silver Schmitar.

"And you are a fool that does not know a chance to escape when he sees one." retorted Nelphyn.

"You will be overthrown!" said Silver Schmitar. "The armies of Saddle Arabia are gathering as we speak!"

"Twelve seconds."

"We will meet again!" Silver Schmitar said.

He and the other paladin turned around and galloped over the sand dunes. King Nelphyn's eyes and the Alicorn Amulet glowed.

"Soldiers of the ancient world, come to me!" Nelphyn's voice boomed.

From the sand underneath the dome, nearly a dozen shadowy equine figures appeared. They were all wearing dark cloaked armor and wearing full-face helmets. They revealed their bat-like wings and flew into the sky, soaring seamlessly through the dome. They chased after the two paladins.

Silver Schimtar and the other paladin galloped on, in spite of Nelphyn's ghostly warriors divebombing them like a murder of ravenous crows.

"Keep galloping!" he shouted to his companion. "They can't chase us forever!"

But then one of the winged warriors struck down the paladin, and pinned him to the sand.

"Chrome Shield!" Silver Schmitar shouted in response.

He tackled the warrior pinning down Chrome, and broke its head off. The warrior evaporated into a black vapor.

"What kind of creatures are these?!" said Silver Schmitar.

Chrome Shield got back up, and knocked the head off of another of King Nelphyn's soldiers, and it vanished like the first. The two paladins were back to back and fended off the rest of the warriors, destroying them one by one. When all of them were eliminated, the two paladins took a breather.

"I don't know what these things are..." panted Chrome Shield. "But I'm glad we are rid of them."

"Wait...something doesn't seem right." said Silver Schmitar, looking at the ground.

The patch of sand they were standing on was considerably darker than the rest of the desert around them. And it was getting darker and darker by the second.

"What in the name of--" said Chrome Shield.

Dark shapes emerged from the sand, and took pony-shapes once more. However, they all lacked wings, but a handful gained curved horns instead.

"They can regenerate?!" exclaimed Chrome.

"How unfortunate for us." said Silver.

The two stallions prepared for a final stand. Suddenly, the first ray of sunlight appeared over the eastern sand dunes. The shadowy warriors saw this, and melted back into the sand. The shadowy patch scattered and faded. The two stallions stood there in surprise as the sun rose.

"What were those things?" asked Chrome.

"I don't know for certain." said Silver. "But we now have a chance to escape."

"But what about that evil king? And the sultan? And Green Sabre, and all the citizens of Mareusalem?"

"They will have to wait for now." said Silver Schmitar. "We need to find Felix, and hope that he has those armies gathered! The fate of Saddle Arabia depends on it!"

"Then let's waste no time!" said Chrome.

And then the two paladins galloped on westwards, as the sun's rays brightened the desert.


It was late at night, and Sunset was still reading her book. She stopped at the entry of one creature that seemed particularly interesting.

"Hmm...shadow-ponies." Sunset read aloud. "'These spectral creatures assume equine shapes, and are able to regenerate themselves as long as the sun is not in the sky; the sun weakens them greatly and forces them into hiding. The typical shadow-pony has the option of taking the shape of an earth pony, a unicorn, or a pegasus. But it must rotate between these three forms every time one is destroyed.'"

She set the book down for a moment, and looked at her father, who just set down his own book.

"Think those exist?" asked Sunset. "Because I'd sure hate to meet one of those in a dark alley."

"I can't say for certain, Sunset." said Golden Sun. "But I agree that they do seem like they could be a potential threat."

He closed the book he was reading.

"So if I were to go to Saddle Arabia, would you like to come with?" asked Golden Sun.

"I don't know." said Sunset. "I'm still a little unwilling about ever leaving Equestria again, in case there's a repeat of what happened in the human world. Plus, I really don't find being of Saddle Arabian descent all that fascinating. If mom and Radiant like being part Saddle Arabian, that's fine. But I just don't see why it would make me so special. I've proven I can be unique and respected without bringing up the fact that I'm descended from a bunch of tall ponies. I'm not even tall myself, so why should it matter to me?"

"Well, I suppose it depends on how you decide to live your life." said Golden Sun.

"Well, whatever's the case, I'm just a very talented unicorn from Vanhoover, and nothing else. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it."

"Very well, my dear daughter." said Golden Sun. "Still, a little adventure never hurt anypony."

"Well, I've been on a few adventures myself, and they usually turn out to be more than I bargained for." said Sunset.

"That's how most adventures turn out, Sunset." said Golden Sun. "That's what makes the experience worthwhile."

"Good point." said Sunset, getting out of her seat. "See ya later, dad. I bet Princess Luna's got another lesson for me."

"See ya later, my little angel." said Golden Sun, softly and with a smile as Sunset left the archives.

PreviousChapters Next