• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,977 Views, 369 Comments

Sunset Rekindled - EldritchNexus



Sequel to "Sunset Eclipsed". Sunset Shimmer and her friends go on a new adventure that takes them to Las Pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and beyond..

  • ...
 369
 1,977

PreviousChapters Next
The Road to Las Pegasus, Part 1

Sunset Shimmer and her friends were all on the train, sitting together in a compartment. They looked out as the train passed through the countryside. Mountains, forests, and lakes passed them by. There was little noise but the sound of the train's engine chugging up and down and the whistle going off every once in a while. In Sunset's hooves, Bathilda was snoozing peacefully and silently while bundled in a neckerchief like a foal in its blanket.

"You doing all right, sweetie?" asked Sunset, in a motherly tone.

Bathilda squeaked in her slumber, twitched her ear, then rustled a little inside the neckerchief to make herself comfortable.

"Such a good little girl." Sunset chuckled, then quickly hid the fruit bat from sight when an attendant came trotting their way.

"You don't have to do that, Sunny." said Radiant. "I checked with the conductor, and he said that pets are allowed in the first three cars."

"Thanks, Red." Sunset smiled, then sighed as she continued to cradle Bathilda. "You know, it's funny we're going back to Vanhoover so soon."

"You're telling me." said Teddy, nervously.

"Don't worry, Ted." said Radiant Dawn. "We'll only be passing through to get to the docks. I doubt you'd be getting in any trouble so soon."

"Yeah...right." nodded Teddy, nervously.

"I think all of us could this vacation." said Sunset. "Considering all the crazy stuff we've all been through."

"That's right, Sunny." said Radiant. "I think we really filled our Changeling-battling quota a lllllllllooooooonnnnnnggggg time ago. At least we'll get a nice change of scenery!"

"We all deserve to go to Las Pegasus." agreed Trixie. "Especially me."

Sunset, Teddy, and Radiant made strange looks at Trixie.

"What?" asked Trixie.

"You know, it's funny that the last time we took a train to Vanhoover, it was snowing like crazy and we were attacked by Changelings." said Radiant.

"Yeah, and I was almost sent flying off the train." said Sunset. "Good think we won't have to deal with anything half that crazy in Las Pegasus."


Lightning Dust returned to Canterlot Castle, and made her report to the Princesses.

"...So after four days of scoping these guys, they made their move by robbing the local museum to swipe the Crystal Scepter." said Lightning. "Good thing me and my Shadowbolts were there to save the day!"

"Lightning Dust, did you find out who these criminals were working for, or why they wanted to steal the scepter?" asked Princess Celestia.

"I don't know who would want it so bad, but the curator said that somepony from Las Pegasus might be involved."

Celestia frowned.

"Sister, what's the matter?" said Princess Luna.

"I just have a bad feeling that I know who might be behind this." said Princess Celestia.

"What do you mean, Celestia?" asked Princess Luna.

"Well, not too long ago, I had a meeting with a Saddle Arabian stallion named Lionel Summerset. He was the head of a company in the city of Las Pegasus."

ONE YEAR AGO...

"Mr. Summerset, I admire what you and your organization have done for the city of Las Pegasus." said Princess Celestia, who was personally giving her esteemed guest a tour of the palace.

"It always flatters me to speak with a fan of my work." said Summerset, who spoke with a deep, smooth intellectual voice*. "It flatters me even more knowing this fan is one of the princesses of Equestria."

Princess Celestia couldn't help but blush.

"Thank you." she said.

"So, princess...I understand that you have recently re-acquired the Elements of Harmony?" asked Summerset.

"Of course." said Celestia. "Although I would credit my student Twilight Sparkle for that."

"Twilight Sparkle?" said Mr. Summerset. "Funny, I was told by my associates that your student was a Miss Sunset Shimmer from Vanhoover?"

Celestia battled the urge to frown at this question.

"Umm...umm..." Celestia hesitated. "There were some...complications with her. So I took another student."

"Can she be reached at all?" asked Summerset.

"Why?" Celestia asked on an impulse.

"Well, I just thought I would meet the daughter of the late, great Professor Golden Sun." said Summerset. "He was a very good friend of mine a few years back. That is, before his unfortunate disappearance."

"I'm so sorry, but I'm afraid Sunset Shimmer is...unable to receive any messages at this time." said Princess Celestia.

"If you say so, princess." frowned Mr. Summerset. "Now on to business: Princess Celestia, I wish to rent the Elements of Harmony from you."

"Excuse me?" asked Princess Celestia with surprise.

"I plan on opening...a museum with all variations of exotic artifacts on display." said Summerset. "The tourism industry of Las Pegasus would boom for sure."

"No, I cannot allow this." said Princess Celestia.

"But princess, I assure you it would only be for one week." said Summerset. "And then I would have them shipped straight back to you."

"My answer is still 'no'." said Princess Celestia. "You see, I just cannot take any unnecessary risks with the Elements of Harmony. If I were to let even one of the Elements to fall into the wrong hands, I could put all of Equestria in peril."

"True." said Summerset. "But still, I would very much like a memento to take from my visit."

"A memento?" Celestia repeated wearily.

Mr. Summerset looked around the throne room, until he set his eyes on...

"Ah, that mirror over there!" said Mr. Summerset, pointing across the room.

"What about it?" asked Celestia.

"I think I would like to take it!" said Summerset.

Princess Celestia recognized the mirror and gasped in horror: The Crystal Mirror! The very mirror that Sunset Shimmer went through on the night she abandoned her studies.

"No!" she said, uncomfortably loudly.

"Is it money that you would like?" asked Mr. Summerset. "Fine. I will give you two thousand bits for the mirror."

"No."

"Ten thousand?"

"No!"

"Two hundred thousand! A million, even!"

"Mr. Summerset, I respect you and your work very much, but I want you to understand that I will never give that mirror to you." said Princess Celestia. "Not for all the money in the world."

"And what would something as simple as a mirror mean to you, princess?" asked Mr. Summerset.

"I'm afraid your visit to my castle has come to a close, Mr. Summerset." said Celestia. "I suggest you leave now, or I will have Captain Star Shield escort you out."

Summerset bowed his head, and spoke.

"I honor your decision, princess, and this meeting." he said. "It has been a wonderful opportunity to meet you, your majesty."

And then he reluctantly turned to leave.

PRESENT DAY...

"I didn't want to tell Summerset where Sunset Shimmer really was, nor why the mirror was so important, because I was not only afraid that letting the Crystal Mirror fall into the wrong hands would put Sunset Shimmer, but even all of Equestria, in great danger." Princess Celestia concluded her story.

"So, you still cared about Sunset back then, even after she ran out on you?" asked Lightning Dust.

"Mm-hmm." said Celestia, whose eyes just barely began to water.

"So that's why you had the mirror moved to the Crystal Empire:" deduced Princess Luna. "So that Mr. Summerset wouldn't come back here to look for it."

"That is correct, Luna." said Celestia.

"But why didn't you let Summerset in on the secret?" asked Lightning Dust. "If this guy's a friend of Sunset Shimmer's dad, maybe he could've helped out?"

"Because I had suspicions about Summerset in the past." said Princess Celestia. "Though he is successful as a businesspony, I don't think his heart was in the right place. He was more self-centered than he let on. Greedy, even. I have a feeling he even knew the magical properties of the Crystal Mirror, and wanted it harness it for himself."

"Well, wanting to spend a million on a mirror does seem like a weird idea." said Lightning.

"Celestia, I must feel concerned once more for my student's safety." said Princess Luna. "Especially since she is apparently going to visit Las Pegasus for a holiday this week."

"You're right, Luna." said Celestia. "Oh, but she's probably already left by now."

"Do either of you know what way Sunset might've went? I could intercept her if you want!" offered Lightning Dust.

"I'm afraid I don't know for certain." said Luna.

"Neither do I." said Celestia.

"Then could I maybe fly over to Las Pegasus to meet her there?" asked Lightning. "I could get there in less than a day! I'm one of the fastest fliers in all of Equestria!"

"A good idea, Lightning Dust." said Luna.

"But I think we should give Sunset the benefit of a doubt." said Celestia. "She's dealt with all kinds of dangers and obstacles in the past, and pulled through. Summerset might not even be looking for her specifically. And I think it would be rude to barge in on her vacation just because of some crime spree."

"Well, I'd like to go over to Las Pegasus, anyway." said Lightning. "Sunset is my best friend, after all. I think I owe it to her to spend a little time with her after being away for so long. And if there is trouble waiting for her, I'll be there to bust her out!"

"Then I approve of this, Lightning Dust." said Princess Celestia.

"Consider this a special mission, Lightning Dust." said Luna. "I am placing you directly responsible for my student's safety! You are to make sure nothing happens to her in Las Pegasus! Do you understand?"

"Yes, your majesty!" saluted Lightning. "I'll accept this responsibility, and will see to it that Sunset Shimmer is okay!"


Nose Nip led Scarlet Blaze and Frosty to a boathouse on the docks at Vanhoover.

"Well, we could've just waited tomorrow for that cruise ship to be ready." said Nose Nip.

"I don't want to wait that long, and it would be too slow." said Scarlet. "Are you sure this boat of yours will be sea-worthy?"

"Sure!" said Nose Nip. "My dad used it all the time when catching fish out at sea!"

"And we even had some friends in town make a couple-a modifications to it, too!" said Frosty. "It's got the fastest motor in this part of Equestria!"

The three went inside, where a polished white and red fishing boat with a sail and a motor was docked.

"You like it?" asked Frosty.

"Yes, it's amazing!" Scarlet made a toothy grin. "Just what we're gonna need!"

The three got on board, and detached the ropes holding the boat in place. Nose Nip lifted the anchor out of the water, and tugged on the motor's cord with his teeth. The motor roared like a dragon and the fishing boat shot out of the boathouse and into the sun-drenched waters. Once the boat came to a stop, Scarlet used her telekinesis to tie her mane back, and then levitated a pair of mirrored sunglasses over her eyes, and a map of Equestria out of her purse.

"Okay, boys!" said Scarlet. "Take this thing due South! We should make it to Las Pegasus by tomorrow night! So make it happen!"

"Aye-aye, captain!" Nose Nip saluted, turning the boat left.

"One speed boost comin' up!" Frosty used his horn to telekinetically tug on the cord.

And then the boat shot through the water like a torpedo, Frosty just barely catching himself from falling overboard by the sudden boost of speed.

"Whoooooo!" Frosty shouted as soon as he was back on-board. "Las Pegasus, here we come!"

Author's Note:

*= I had Michael Dorn in mind while writing Mr. Summerset's dialogue.

PreviousChapters Next