• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,978 Views, 369 Comments

Sunset Rekindled - EldritchNexus



Sequel to "Sunset Eclipsed". Sunset Shimmer and her friends go on a new adventure that takes them to Las Pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and beyond..

  • ...
 369
 1,978

PreviousChapters Next
The Road to Las Pegasus, Part 4

Sunset Shimmer woke up with a start when she heard a loud squeaking noise. She looked around, and saw that Bathilda had returned, hanging from her rack.

"Morning, Bathilda!" said Sunset. "Did you have a good night last night?"

She looked around, and saw that Trixie was still sound asleep in her own bed.

"Trix!" Sunset called to her. "Wake up! It's morning!"

"Trixie wakes for nopony." Trixie said lazily. "Trixie wakes only when Trixie chooses to wake."

"Fine, if you don't wanna get to the front of the breakfast buffet!" said Sunset.

Trixie's eyes opened on cue. She leapt out of bed, and sped out of the door. Sunset chuckled.

"See ya later, Bathilda!" said Sunset to her bat, who had fallen asleep.

They made it to the galley, where everypony else was getting food. Radiant Dawn and Teddy were already sitting at a table, so Sunset and Trixie decided to join them.

"What's up, Sunny?" asked Radiant. "How'd ya sleep?"

"I was fine." said Sunset. "I had a dream about our father."

"Really?" said Radiant. "What happened in it?"

"I don't really remember, actually." said Sunset. "In fact, I don't think I really saw him. I just heard his voice."

"And what did he say?" said Radiant.

"I don't remember what he said, either." said Sunset. "Sorry."

"So how long are we going to be on this tub again?" asked Trixie.

"I just spoke with the captain." said Radiant. "He said that we'll be getting to Las Pegasus a lot sooner than what was scheduled."

"How come?" asked Sunset.

"Apparently, one of the passengers on this ship got attacked last night, so Captain Baroque wants the ship brought back into port at Las Pegasus as quickly as possible so that the security forces there can find the criminals."

"Really? There was an attack?" asked Teddy. "Who got attacked?"

"The captain didn't say." said Radiant Dawn. "Apparently, the passenger wanted to remain anonymous."

"Should we help look for the attackers?"

"Nah, I don't think they need us." said Sunset. "I think this looks like a job for the ship's own crew. We'd just be getting in their way. Besides, we came here for a vacation, not to solve a mystery."

"Plus, I'm supposed to be off-duty." said Radiant. "I mean, I don't wanna sound lazy or selfish, but if I wanted to do any police or guard-related work, I'd have stayed back in Canterlot."

"Then it's settled?" asked Trixie.

"Ahoy! Sunset Shimmer!" said Quick Shot, who was passing back. "Mind if we join you?"

Sunset turned and saw Quick Shot and A.K. Yearling walking towards them.

"No, you two can sit with us!" said Sunset, with a smile.

Quick Shot and A.K. Yearling sat together, the latter with an anxious expression on her face.

"What's wrong with her?" asked Trixie.

"Oh, she's a little shook up about the news of that attack." said Quick Shot. "Isn't that right?"

"Um...yes, that's right." said Yearling, hesitantly. "I couldn't sleep a wink when I heard the news!"

"Hang on!" said Teddy. "You look so familiar to me!"

"Well, I suppose you might have seen a picture of me in one of my books?" asked A.K. Yearling.

"No, I mean I think I might've actually met you before." said Teddy. "A few weeks ago in Vanhoover, at the Obsidian Horseshoe!"

"I think you're right, Ted!" said Trixie. "You sat with us that one day, while we were staying there!"

"And smacked me in the face with your wings!" said Teddy, patting his muzzle with his hoof. "Riiiight here."

A.K. Yearling's eyes widened.

"You know, I think I actually did meet you!" she said. "Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry about that!"

"What were you doing in Vanhoover, anyway?" asked Quick Shot.

"I was on holiday there." said A.K. Yearling. "I had a very busy and stressful week and needed a place to cool down. So I went to this inn in Vanhoover to get a drink, and I decided to sit with Sunset Shimmer and her friends."

"Wow, I can't believe that was actually you that day!" said Sunset in surprise.

"Listen, kid." said Yearling to Teddy. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

"Ah, it's all right." said Teddy. "It's all in the past. By the way, the name's Teddy."

"I'm Trixie." said Trixie.

"And I'm Radiant Dawn." said Radiant. "I'm Sunset Shimmer's brother, and a member of Princess Luna's Night Guard."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Radiant Dawn." said A.K. Yearling. "My, you're a handsome one, aren't you?"

Radiant nodded with an awkward grin.

"Yeah, my girlfriend Lightning Dust tells me that a lot." he said.

"As I was just telling your sister yesterday, I knew your father." said A.K. Yearling. "Professor Golden Sun was one of the kindest and most intelligent unicorns I had ever met in my life. I can see that he had two wonderful children."

"Aw, shucks." said Radiant, brushing a hoof against the floorboards.

"But aren't you a tall one?" asked Yearling.

"He gets it from our mom." said Sunset Shimmer. "Her name's Scarlet Blaze. She's of Saddle Arabian descent, and Radiant inherited her tallness."

"Oh, so that's why I started getting so tall once I turned thirteen!" said Radiant, whose copper eyes suddenly widened. "And I'm part Saddle Arabian, huh? That's so cool! I read all those books about Saddle Arabian warriors all the time when I was a colt. I didn't think I was one of them! All of a sudden, my job as a night guard became a lot more meaningful!"

"What do you mean?" asked Sunset.

"Don'tcha see, Sunny?" said Radiant. "I was meant to be a fighter! I mean look at my body! See how big and tough I am?! I was clearly meant to see some serious action! None of that boring night-watch stuff!"

"Red, are you sure?" asked Sunset. "I mean, you've proven that you can do a great job as a night guard!"

"I mean, I don't mean any disrespect for Captain Shield, but I'd be darned if I don't have a legacy to uphold, little sis!"

"Don't you think you're getting a little worked-up?" asked Sunset.

"Maybe, but I'm gonna have the time of my life when we get to Las Pegasus!" said Radiant.

Sunset smiled.

"Red, I love this passion you have right now!" said Sunset. "You remind me of...me. But in a good way!"

The two siblings exchanged a laugh.

"I just wish Lightning Dust was here right now." said Radiant. "Oh, I just can't wait to tell her that she's been dating a bonafide Saddle Arabian without even realizing it!"

"Red, you and I are only one-eighth Saddle Arabian." said Sunset. "Not a significant fraction, if you ask me."

"Okay, yeah." said Radiant, sighing. "I guess I could relax a little."

"You know, I actually have a few colleagues and friends that are Saddle Arabian." said A.K. Yearling. "In fact, there's one in Las Pegasus. His name's Lionel Summerset."

"Summerset, huh?" said Quick Shot, who had been chatting with Trixie the whole time. "I know that stallion. I met him at the Grand Galloping Gala a few years back. He collects all kinds of kooky things from across Equestria. No idea how he does it, but he sure likes doing it!"

"I think he might enjoy it a little too much." said A.K. Yearling muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" asked Quick Shot.

"Nothing." said Yearling, audibly.


Lightning Dust was flying through the air, carrying a pouch as she went south-west to Las Pegasus.

"Don't worry, Sunset!" she said. "I'll be there! Just you wait!"


It was the middle of the afternoon, and Scarlet and her companions were still traveling along the west coast of Equestria. Tensions were rising, and Scarlet Blaze and Frosty had degenerated into an argument while Nose Nip kept manning the wheel of the boat.

"Why oh why did you have to make us use this boat?!" said Frosty, frustratedly. "Why couldn't we have gone on that cruise ship?"

"Because this is an important mission, not a vacation!" said Scarlet. "If you couldn't understand that, then maybe you should've stayed behind in Vanhoover!"

"Yeah, but we coulda had a little fun on da way there!" said Frosty. "Not ta mention we coulda had some nice beds to sleep in and decent meals to chow down on! Instead, we're sleeping on piles o' rope and eating stinkin' week-old fruit!"

"Honestly, I raised two children for eight years straight, and neither of them were ever as whiny as you're being right now!"

"And my mom never yelled at me as much as you!" countered Frosty.

"Then clearly, she didn't know how to raise a spoiled brat like you!" said Scarlet, rolling her eyes.

"Hey, my mama was nice! You're just a demanding, nagging--"

"You lack discipline, little man!" Scarlet yelled in his face, bending her head so that her eyes were glaring directly into Frosty's. "Since your mom's not around to give it to you, I'll have to give it to you, myself!"

"Hey, don'tcha dare treat me like a child!" said Frosty. "I'm twenty-eight years old! I have a career and two ex-girlfriends! I'm a somepony!"

"I don't care, small-fry." said Scarlet. "I lead a better life than you ever will, even if I haven't been able to enjoy it the past fifteen years!"

"Um, guys?" said Nose Nip, trying to intervene.

"You know what? I don't care, either!" said Frosty. "I don't care how much bigger you are than me, lady! I don't care if you're one of the most gorgeous and foxy mares I've ever met in my life! I don't even care if you're the mother of one of my best friends in all of Equestria! Nopony treats me like this and gets away with it! You got that, missy?"

"Guys?" said Nose Nip again.

"Oh, and tell your friend over there that I'm not a 'guy', I'm a lady!" said Scarlet. "Stupid middle-class--"

"Just try me, sistah!" said Frosty, whose horn started to glow.

"One step ahead of you!" said Scarlet, whose own horn started to glow with an orange aura.

"Scarlet! Frosty!" said Nose Nip.

"Stay out of this!" Frosty and Scarlet shouted at once.

"But we're in sight of the city!" shouted Nose Nip.

Scarlet and Frosty's horns stopped glowing, dropped their quarrel, and they slowly turned to see the city of Las Pegasus, just a two hundred yards away. The two unicorns exchanged awkward glances. Scarlet face-hoofed at the childish argument she just had, while Frosty went to the edge of the boat, and stopped whooping and hollering excitedly as Nose Nip pulled them into the marina.

"And look!" Nose Nip pointed out to the sea. "It looks like we just beat the cruise liner! How'dya like that?"

PreviousChapters Next