• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,975 Views, 369 Comments

Sunset Rekindled - EldritchNexus



Sequel to "Sunset Eclipsed". Sunset Shimmer and her friends go on a new adventure that takes them to Las Pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and beyond..

  • ...
 369
 1,975

PreviousChapters Next
A Visit to Ponyville, Part 2

Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash were hovering in the air close to where the Summerstar landed. Lightning Dust was telling Rainbow Dash about how she became a Shadowbolt, which only reminded Rainbow Dash of Nightmare Moon's incarnation of that team. But when she learned what Princess Luna's Shadowbolts did, she felt relieved.

"And I got to be a sergeant super-quick, and went on a ton of super-duper missions!" said Lightning. "In fact, I just came here from one of them, too."

She told Rainbow about her mission to protect Sunset Shimmer, and about her exploits in the city of Las Pegasus. It was when she told Rainbow about who helped her in that mission, her jaw dropped.

"No way!" Rainbow Dash said to Lightning Dust. "You actually went on a super-cool adventure with Daring Do, too?"

"That's right, Rainbow." said Lightning. "She and I took on one of the most notorious crime bosses in Las Pegasus, even storming that big zeppelin me and my friends all came here in. And I didn't even read a single one of her books, either."

"Well, I think we've gotta change that." said Rainbow, with a smile. "I've got almost every Daring Do book ever written at my place. I even got to be in one of her books, too!"

"Lucky you, Rainbow!" Lightning smiled.

"Do you wanna come over to my place now?" asked Rainbow.

"Lead the way--" Lightning began, before being tugged through the air to Rainbow Dash's floating residence.


Golden Sun, Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle were having a conversation with each other about their mutual love of books.

"I've been reading books since I was a little filly." said Twilight. "In fact, I did it more than anything else. I once even preferred books to friends."

"Same here, Twilight." said Sunset. "I was pretty jaded about socializing, myself. Especially after my brother got kicked out of Celestia's school. Without my parents around, he was practically the whole world to me."

"Yeah, I still remember when your brother told me about it." said Twilight. "He also said that you read your dad's books all the time when you were a filly."

"That's right." said Sunset. "That's what made me so smart."

"I remember when I was little." said Golden Sun. "I loved books and socializing so much. When I was in school, I would read a whole novel all day and then share it with my classmates the next day. I even gave little tidbits about things to them, too. Sure, I wound up being picked on a lot by bullies, but it was their loss. I became a successful professor, and they wound up gardeners, fishers, and dock workers. Not bragging, mind you. I don't frown down on such professions at all. They're still valued members of Vanhoover society."

"Dad, you're such a saint." said Sunset Shimmer.

"I try my best." said Golden Sun.

Twilight Sparkle contemplated telling Golden Sun about how Sunset used to bully the students of Canterlot High School, but decided that it would put a strain on their newly-realized friendship. Instead, she decided to change the subject.

"Um, Sunset." she said. "I think I oughta ask this: Where and how did you get your hooves on a zeppelin?"

"Las Pegasus." said Sunset. "It's called the Summerstar. It belonged to this Saddle Arabian stallion named Lionel Summerset. He was holding my father hostage."

"That's right." said Golden Sun. "He brainwashed me using a magic talisman."

"Like the Alicorn Amulet?" asked Twilight.

"No." said Sunset. "It didn't really enhance his magic, just give him an alternate personality."

"And he made me steal all kinds of artifacts, too." said Golden Sun. "Even from museums and other private collections."

"But what happened to Summerset?" asked Twilight.

"He got arrested and sent to jail." said Sunset. "He really didn't like me interfering with his plans. And I wasn't even trying to, either. But he was firing down at us from that zeppelin. Almost brought his own building down on us."

"I suppose you know by now how it feels to almost be blasted apart by a power-crazed maniac." said Twilight.

Sunset narrowed her eyes, as if she was offended by what Twilight just said.

"Sunset, I'm sorry." said Twilight. "I should've been more sensitive--"

But Sunset started laughing.

"Yep. I sure do." she said. "But that's in the past, right?"

"It sure is." said Twilight.

Suddenly, Owlowicious flew through the open window, followed by Bathilda. There were flying in circles over their owners, with Owlowicious hooting repeatedly and Bathilda screeching loudly at him.

"Owlowicious, what's going on?" said Twilight.

"Bathilda, stop chasing Twilight's owl!" said Sunset. "Bad girl!"

The two pets dropped down to the floor.

"Now what was that about?" Twilight asked.

Owlowicious raised a talon, revealing that he was holding a red apple with a bite mark on the side.

"Aww, Bathilda." said Sunset. "Did Twilight's owl steal your food?"

Bathilda nodded.

"Sorry, Sunset." said Twilight. "But you see, Sweet Apple Acres recently had a bad encounter with some vampire fruit bats, and I guess Owlowicious has been a little sensitive around fruit bats because of it."

"It's okay, Twilight." said Sunset. "It's just our pets, right?"

"Let's hope they can become friends like we did." said Twilight.

Owlowicious and Bathilda hovered in front of each other, glaring intensely, then flew to opposite ends of the room.

"This may take a while." said Twilight.


Scarlet Blaze was walking down the road, when she came across a little filly with a curly red mane and glasses sitting against a house and crying. She decided to go over to her.

"What's the matter, little girl?" she asked.

"D-Diamond Tiara and Thilfer Thpoon were p-picking on me!" cried the filly, who spoke with a lisp. "They thaid I wathn't pretty! They teathed me and thaid I would never live a good life!"

Scarlet sat down next to her.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Peppermint Twitht." said the filly.

"Peppermint Twist, huh?" repeated Scarlet. "That's a nice name."

"Thankth, lady." said Peppermint Twist. "I thure wiff I were pretty like you."

"Well, I think you look just fine." said Scarlet. "In fact, you're absolutely adorable."

Peppermint Twist began to calm down.

You know, when I was your age, I wasn't exactly beautiful, either."

"Really?" asked Twist.

"That's right." said Scarlet. "In fact, I looked a lot like you."

"You did?"

"Oh, definitely!" Scarlet chuckled. "I had these big, thick prescription glasses, and my mane was all frizzy and silly-looking, and I even had the cutest little overbite you've ever seen, too."

"So how come you don't wear glatheth now?" asked Twist.

"I switched to contacts when I turned fourteen." said Scarlet.

"Do they hurt?"

"Only when you start, but you get used to them soon enough." said Scarlet. "The rest came naturally. By the time I reached adulthood, stallions were practically fawning over me left and right. The point is that you never know what you'll look like when you grow up. You might end up looking even more beautiful than me!"

"Gee. I never thought of it that way." said Twist. "Thank you, lady!"

"See you later, kid." said Scarlet, getting back up and adding: "Just do me a favor, okay?"

"Like what?" Twist asked, curiously.

"Keep this talk a secret from everypony. Do you think you could do that?" asked Scarlet. "I'd never hear the end of it if word spread about what I used to look like."

"Yeth, ma'am!" Twist said with a salute.

And then Scarlet left with a grin tucked into the corner of her mouth.


Teddy decided to go with Fluttershy to her house. They came to the front door, where Angel the bunny was waiting for them.

"Hi, Angel." said Fluttershy. "We have a guest today, okay?"

Angel looked up at Teddy and studied his face. He gave him a very fake grin, and then scampered into the building.

"Oh, he's just nervous." Fluttershy smiled. "Please come inside, and I'll make a nice cup of tea for both of us."

"Thanks, Fluttershy." said Teddy.

Teddy went inside and sat down on the couch. But no sooner did he sit down than he heard the loud noise of air deflating, and felt something thin and rubbery underneath his backside. Teddy jumped off and saw there was a whoopee cushion planted on the end where he sat. He turned around and saw Angel laughing silently and rolling on the floor.

"That's not funny, you know." Teddy told Angel.

"Oh, I'm sure Angel just played a harmless joke." said Fluttershy. "He can be such a sweet little boy sometimes."

"And a real jerk every other time." Teddy muttered under his breath.

Once they had their tea, Fluttershy got up.

"Well, it's time that I fed my animal friends." she said. "I'll see you later?"

"I could help if you want." said Teddy.

"Oh, no." said Fluttershy. "I'm sure you have something busy to do someplace else. See you another time?"

"Actually, since it looks like I'm gonna be here for a couple days, I figure I could help somepony out with something."

"Okay, but it really isn't that big a deal."

A few minutes later, Teddy and Fluttershy were feeding the animals in the backyard. Teddy started by giving acorns to the squirrels, which they accepted graciously. Then when he was done, he fed vegetables to the pigs and deer. But when he was suddenly startled by Angel, he ended up backing into Fluttershy's chicken coop. In seconds, he ran out, pursued by a gaggle of angry hens and roosters. They were chased him all around the yard, pecking him fiercely and scattering fathers in all directions.

"Help! Help!" Teddy shouted. "I hate chickens!"

"Please, could we all--" Fluttershy attempted to calm the chickens down, but they were too angry to stop attacking Teddy.


Radiant Dawn and Trixie Lulamoon were going to Fluttershy's place, after leaving Carousel Boutique carrying a bag of new outfits for both of them to wear.

"I wonder if Teddy's actually going to be making himself useful for a change." said Trixie. "It makes the Great and Powerful Trixie wonder why Sunset agreed to let him come along. It seems like he's just been little more than a burden to everypony around him."

"He's got potential, Trixie." said Radiant. "I'll bet you still remember how you were nothing but flashy tricks and idle boasting before my sister started coaching you on using magic?"

"Yes, Trixie does remember that." Trixie hissed. "But the Great and Powerful Trixie would appreciate that if you did not bring up the Great and Powerful Trixie's embarassing, not-so-great-and-powerful past!"

"Sounds fair to me, Trix." said Radiant. "I'm just saying, is all."

A very bruised and feather-covered Teddy galloped to them, knocking down a bunch of fence-posts as he went.

"Please! Make them stop! Make them stop!" he shouted, cowering on the ground.

The chickens that were chasing him were getting closer and closer, and Teddy was too tired to keep going. Fortunately, Fluttershy caught up to them and used "the stare" on the chickens, causing them to stop in their tracks and scurry back to the coop.

"Wooh!" Teddy sighed in relief. "Thanks, Fluttershy. You really saved me a trip to the hospital."

"But Teddy, you're so hurt now!" said Fluttershy. "I think you should come back with me and let me tend to your injuries."

"Look, it's a nice offer and all, but I'm not going back to that crazy rabbit of yours." said Teddy.

"I'm sure Angel doesn't really mean it!" said Fluttershy. "He just needs time to get to know you more, and then I'm sure the two of you will be the best of friends!"

"Sure, and monkeys will fly out of my butt." snarked Teddy.

He turned to Radiant and Trixie.

"How's it going, guys?" he said to them. "You don't mind if I hang out with you guys, do ya? Fluttershy's animal buddies don't seem to like me that much."

"Sure." said Radiant. "What do you think, Trixie?"

Trixie was fighting the urge to laugh at Teddy's previous predicament, but controlled herself when she realized Radiant was looking at him.

"Trixie approves." she said, simply.

PreviousChapters Next