• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,972 Views, 369 Comments

Sunset Rekindled - EldritchNexus



Sequel to "Sunset Eclipsed". Sunset Shimmer and her friends go on a new adventure that takes them to Las Pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and beyond..

  • ...
 369
 1,972

PreviousChapters Next
Preparing for the Journey

The next morning, when it was still dark out, Mr. Blue was trotting down one of the darker streets of Las Pegasus, during a rainstorm. The streets were remarkably depressing and empty at this time. This made it all the better for Mr. Blue; he did not like to be followed. He went around the corner until he came to the main entrance of the forty-floor Summerset Tower. He was quickly admitted inside by the two pegasi guarding the entrance. After shaking the rainwater off of him, he found there were already others waiting for him there: a pegasus in a bright red overcoat and hat wearing round red-tinted glasses, and an earth pony in a yellow tracksuit with black stripes on the sides.

"Well, it looks like a certain somepony's been running late again!" said Mr. Red, grinning smugly. "So where's the loot?"

"I had to cut the Manehatten heist short." said Mr. Blue. "My team was intercepted by some of Princess Luna's Shadowbolts. We were forced to retreat before the royal guards closed in on us."

"The boss is gonna get pretty mad about this." said Mr. Red in a singsong voice.

"I know he will." said Mr. Blue. "But I can assure him that none of my men squealed."

"They had better not." said Mr. Yellow. "Good help is so hard to come by nowadays, even for us."

Then there was a buzzing noise, and a mare's voice filled the foyer.

"Gentlemen, Mr. Summerset will be expecting you all now!" said the voice on the loudspeakers.

The three stallions took an elevator to the top floor, where their employer was waiting for them in his office. Mr. Summerset, a tall stallion with a black mane and beard and a bronze coat, was sitting silently at his desk. His three henchmen bowed in salute.

"Gentlecolts, I wish to discuss something very important with the three of you." he said.

"Yes, sir?" asked Mr. Blue.

"I want you to look out the window for a moment."

Mr. Summerset turned around to look out the window behind his chair, beckoning the three stallions to join him. From there, they had a view of the entire cityscape that is Las Pegasus, with its many skyscrapers, casinos, and nightclubs. However, most of the city was obscured by the dark skies and heavy amounts of rain.

"This city has so much untapped potential in it, and nopony can bring it to life like me and my organization can."

"Of course, sir." said Mr. Yellow.

Mr. Summerset turned around and spoke:

"Before I came here, this city was nothing but broken dreams and out-of-reach stars. A dark and depressing place for all. Fortunately, those days are long-gone. See those neon signs? Those beautiful buildings that form our new skyline? The lines of ponies waiting eagerly outside for the casinos to open, even if it meant getting pneumonia?

"I alone made these things possible. But it is not enough. But I'm afraid this idea I have of a perfect city is not going to last forever. This city needs more! I need more, if I am to rule Las Pegasus! And that is why it is important that I acquire all the magic and power and I can get my hooves on; to keep my empire flourishing! Do you understand me?"

"Yes, sir." said Mr. Red.

"Now pay attention." said Mr. Summerset. "I have a new mission that will require all three of you. I have been informed of an artifact in the possession of a mare in northern Equestria, not too far from Ponyville. You will find a map on my desk with her location marked."

Mr. Blue levitated the map off the desk, and he and his colleagues read it.

"Yes, I believe this can be arranged, sir." he said with a grin.


That night, Sunset Shimmer decided that she would try persuading Princess Luna to let her take a break from her lessons.

"I am sorry, Sunset Shimmer, but I'm afraid I cannot permit you to travel to Las Pegasus." said Luna. "You simply have too much work to catch up on."

"I know, Princess Luna, I know!" said Sunset. "But don't you think I could take a few days off? I've been doing nothing but lessons for you for nearly two months now, since the day I came back to Equestria. Could we please take things a little easy?"

"Sunset, please listen." said Luna. "I understand that my lessons may seem challenging, but I'm having you take lessons here in Canterlot so that you will be safe. There are all sorts of evil creatures out there in the world, and I don't wish for you to be harmed. I already put your life on the line too often as it is."

"But I always pulled through, Luna." said Sunset. "I'm a big girl, and can handle myself."

"Of course, but I still cannot help but feel concerned for your safety." said Luna. "Especially since the Chrysalis Syndicate entered our world to try abducting you, and with King Nelphyn on the loose somewhere in the world."

"Okay, that's a pretty good point, but there's no way I'd be that defenseless." said Sunset.

"She's right, Luna." said a familiar voice.

Princess Celestia strode into the throne room.

"Sister, I don't mean to criticize your methods of tutoring Sunset Shimmer, but I think you should give Sunset a little more free-time once in a while." she said. "After all, I allowed Twilight Sparkle to stay in Ponyville and continue her studies and be a princess there. Maybe now's the right time to let Sunset try continuing her studies outside."

"Are you certain about this, sister?" asked Luna. "But the last time I tried sending her somewhere to learn a lesson, I ended up putting her in danger!"

"Luna, really! I'm fine!" said Sunset. "I know you care about me, and don't want me to get hurt, but I honestly don't want or need a foal-sitter 24/7. If I did, I wouldn't be learning all this advanced magic and stuff!"

"That is a very good point, Sunset." said Celestia in agreement. "So what do you say, Luna? Would you please give her some time off?"

Luna scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Of course, sister." said Luna, reluctantly. "But I personally don't think this is a good idea!"

"Don't worry, Luna." said Sunset. "I'll be sure to send messages to you at least once a day."

"However do you plan to do it?" asked Luna.

Sunset Shimmer whistled, and Bathilda flew in through an open window and fluttered beside her owner.

"I'll have her deliver notes to you telling you how I am and what I've been doing." said Sunset. "I've been practicing that coordination spell, too, so it should be a no-brainer. In fact..."

Sunset's horn glowed, and a sheet of paper and a pen were levitated from her knapsack. She telekinetically scrawled a note and levitated it towards Bathilda, whose head was illuminated by a bluish-green aura. The bat took the paper, rolled it up, and flew out the window with it. A couple of minutes later, she returned carrying a reply from Captain Star Shield.

"Rather efficient." said Luna, smiling. "Yes, I think this might work! Such a clever idea, Sunset!"


"Thanks for standing up for me back there, Princess Celestia." said Sunset, when the two were travelling together along a corridor.

"My pleasure, my dear." Celestia smiled. "You may not learn from me anymore, but you are still as much my student as you are Luna's. So I figured that I could get you out of a tight spot."

Sunset smiled.

"I know we haven't spoken to each other in a while, but I'm so proud of what you are doing lately. You've made so many friends, learned so much about friendship, and brought friendship to others that needed it. You have really turned yourself around. You're definitely a vast improvement from the arrogant and ambitious filly that abandoned her studies and ran off to an alternate world."

"I know, and I'm grateful for what I have now." said Sunset, happily. "And Luna's really not a bad teacher. She's actually one of the best I've had in my whole life. Right up there with you."

Princess Celestia smiled.

"I'm sure Luna would be so happy to hear that." she said, softly. "And so am I. You know, Luna being your mentor has been much an experience for her as it has for you. As you are no doubt aware, she's never really taken a student before you. So you agreeing to be her student was a truly remarkable opportunity for her to experience that sort of responsibility."

"So that's why she's so protective of me." said Sunset. "She doesn't wanna screw up the 'having a student' thing."

"That's right." said Celestia. "And so it's really paid-off for you both."

"It sure has." said Sunset, adding with a yawn: "Well, good night, Princess Celestia."

"Good night, my dear Sunset." said Celestia.


The next morning, Sunset, Trixie, and Radiant Dawn were at the Canterlot train station. They had the whole trip planned out: They would take the train from Canterlot to Vanhoover. From there, they would take a ship from the docks due South until they reached Las Pegasus. They packed with them plenty of provisions for the trip there. Sunset even brought Bathilda along.

"So I'm guessing Pressure Point wasn't interested in going?" Sunset asked Trixie.

"Nope." said Trixie. "I mean, he's got so much work at the hospital as it is. Even if he didn't, I couldn't stand the idea of traveling for almost two days with him."

"Too bad Lightning Dust hasn't come back yet, or she could probably come along, too." commented Sunset.

"Yeah, I was really hoping to see her by now." said Trixie. "I mean, she could at least be here to see us off, don't ya think?"

"Okay, are we all set?" asked Radiant. "The train's gonna leave in a half an hour, so we've got a little time for a bathroom break if any of us need it."

"Hey! You guys! Wait up for me!" said a familiar voice.

Sunset and her companions turned around, expecting to see Lightning Dust. Instead, it was Teddy.

"Hey, you weren't thinking about running off without me, were ya?" he said to Sunset.

"Teddy, what're you doing here?" asked Trixie.

"I'm gonna join you guys!"

"Dare I ask why?" asked Sunset. "I thought you promised me you'd try finding a job here!"

"I know, I know." said Teddy. "But maybe hanging out with you guys could, you know, boost my confidence a little. What'dya say, boss? I promise I won't take up much room!"

Sunset looked at the clock; time was running out.

"Okay, Ted." she said. "You can come along. I think we have enough money to buy an extra ticket. But no more freebies, okay?"

"No problem, boss." Teddy nodded.

PreviousChapters Next