• Published 20th Mar 2014
  • 6,455 Views, 562 Comments

What Changes May Come - Bluegrass Brooke



Cheese Sandwich returns to Ponyvillle and discovers his love for Pinkie. To his surprise, she loves him back! Will he and Pinkie be willing to accept the changes and challenges that follow?

  • ...
11
 562
 6,455

Cheer Up

Author's Note:

A Labor Day chapter for all of you. This chapter marks the conclusion of the Pie Family arc, and the start of a new one. The next chapter will be a special one to celebrate100k words, written from a different perspective so look forward to it! Thanks for reading, and as always, comments are very welcome.

Twilight seemed to be having a staring contest. It never intended to be that way, but somehow that's how it turned out. The same stony expression had been plastered onto Igneous' face ever since they had entered the house and continued as she sat across from him. Of course, most rock farmers were not used to seeing an alicorn in their living room so Twilight forgave him. Though, it was awkward.

Coughing, she turned her attention to the Pie sisters who were sitting on either side of their father like mismatched bookends. "So, this is nice. Isn't it, Applejack?"

"Huh?" Applejack was scouting the room for any potential Pinkie surprises. Thankfully, everything was clear. "Yeah, real nice."

Rainbow grumbled, pushing against the arm of the old sofa they sat on. "When's Pinkie coming?"

"Soon." Limestone's eyes sparkled hungrily at the three ponies. "Say, Princess?"

"You can call me Twilight."

A tiny giggle of glee escaped Limestone, "Twilight. Would you, could you-" Another fit of giggles burst out. Seeing Marble's chiding stare, she cleared her throat. "Could you tell us more about your adventures?"

Twilight looked taken aback. "Doesn't Pinkie talk about them in her letters?"

"Well, yes. But it's so much better to hear them directly. Isn't that right, Marble?"

Marble eyed her sister, who looked like a foal in a candy store. No use huh? She smiled sincerely at Twilight. "Yes. It's be lovely to hear it from you three."

Soon, the little cottage was full of wild tales of the adventures and misadventures of the Elements of Harmony. Rainbow particularly relished reenacting her parts, much to the amusement of Cloudy. The mare nearly fell out of her rocker when she described hiding her love of Daring Doo books at the hospital. Limestone gasped quite a lot when Applejack described nearly losing her farm in the Flim Flam Cider Squeezy competition. They were so enraptured with the stories that it was past dark before they realized the party ponies had not returned.

Igneous was the first to take note, "Cloudy, it's getting late."

"Oh my." She stared nervously at the door. "Do you think they're all right, Igneous?"

Instead of responding, the stallion stood and hobbled to the door. The rest of the party followed, and soon they were all outside the house. Igneous sighed, staring off into the fields, "Guess there's nothing to it. We've got to look for them."

"Look for who?"

Everypony's eyes shot ahead to see two figures moving slowly towards them. One of them shot forward like a bullet, and in the light filtering from the house, Pinkie made herself visible. "Heya. Sorry we're late." She paused then, gasping in her over dramatic way. "OH MY GOSH! Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow! What in Equestria are you doing here?"

Before they knew what hit them, they were wrapped in on of Pinkie's gigantic hugs. Twilight grimaced as a strong, nasty smell greeted her. "Pinkie, you, um-"

"-You stink!" Rainbow crumpled her nose, and made a gagging motion.

A warm feeling flooded Pinkie's face, and she released her friends. Glancing down at her coat, it was obvious where the smell came from. Her sides and hooves were splattered with dried, stinking mud. "Ooopsies. I forgot. I've kinda been digging, and-"

"-It's my fault." Materializing beside Pinkie was a very exhausted Cheese Sandwich. Pinkie was spotless compared to the lank stallion. His entire body was so plastered with filth, that he looked black. The smell coming from his coat was none to pleasant, and Limestone actually jumped away from him. "I got stuck."

Igneous frowned, moving from the collar around Cheese's shoulders to the nonexistent device. "Where's the wedge?"

"Stuck in the mud. Like I was."

Twilight opened her mouth to chide Igneous about being more concerned about farm equipment than Cheese. Just as she did, she noticed the expression of panic spreading across Igneous' face."How long?"

Cheese shuffled uncomfortably, bracing for the scolding. "About eight hours."

"Eight hours!" Rainbow stared open mouthed at Cheese. There was no way in Equestria she could have handled being stuck in mud for eight hours.

As fast as his bad leg would carry him, Igneous moved next to Cheese. Clucking disapprovingly, he went to work, carefully dragging his hoof over Cheese, feeling for injuries. He kept growling to himself, "Eight hours."

"Sorry." He felt like crawling back into the hole. I promised him I could handle it, and I blew it.

"Sorry? What in Equestria do you have to be sorry for? It's my fault for forcing you to cart that blasted thing around without help." He hugged Cheese tight, "I'm just glad you're safe. By Celestia, I'm a lousy father, aren't I?" Releasing the now red stallion, he turned to Pinkie. "You go inside with your Mother. Get some dinner and clean up. Come on Cheese, we'll hose you off."

Cheese followed Igneous slowly around to the back of the barn where the "wash rack" was. It resembled the Apple family's outdoor shower, but was even more basic with just a brick base, drain, and long water pipe with holes drilled in it to spray water. Still, Cheese was more than ready to get the filth off. Sliding out of the collar, he started the long process of cleaning up.

Igneous took the collar, and began to clean it. "Sorry about this, son. Didn't mean to turn out so bad for you."

"Oh, it's okay. I got out." As the cold water struck his neck, the aching pain returned with a vengeance. He decided to focus on conversing with the older pony. "So, did Twilight say why they came out?"

"Something about a situation in Ponyville."

Cheese laughed heartily, "Isn't there always a situation in Ponyville?"

"True enough." Igneous frowned as he watched the younger stallion. "You hurt your neck."

"Yeah, I think I strained it."

"I'll get you some liniment after. That'll help." The stallion slowly became absorbed in scrubbing off the collar. A job helped him think on what was important and forget his troubles. It had always been that way with him, and he supposed it always would be.

Pinkie's words kept racing in Cheese's head as he finished up. Somehow, he felt more confused than ever. For the first time since meeting Pinkie, he was fantasizing about something more. The longer his mind raced, the harder it was to push back the visions of Pinkie in a wedding dress. Is it possible? Would she even want to marry some ex-drifter like myself? That small voice in the back of his head screamed he was being stupid. Of course she would. She loves me after all

As he drifted into his thoughts, a shock of cold water went up his nostril and he reared in shock. This set off a set off a kind of quickly stifled giggle from Igneous. Sighing, he attempted to focus on scraping the filth from his coat. The job proved too monotonous, and his mind drifted to his conversation with Pinkie. She had been so worried about the speed of their relationship, it seemed almost selfish to dream about marriage. But, we love each other. We enjoy every minute together, so why is it such a bad thing to want to spend the rest of our lives together? Isn't that all marriage is? Urgh! How do I know when we're ready? Surrendering at last, he turned to Igneous. "How do you know when's the right time?"

"Right time for what?"

"Well…" What do I say? I just met you a few days ago, and I'd like to marry your daughter. Oh yeah, I just happen to be an ex-hobo with no assets. Not a problem is it? Shooing away the panic, he continued lamely. "-everything."

Igneous snorted and laughed, "What in Equestria are you onto now? I swear, your mind bounces off the tracks even more than Pinkamena."

"I mean, in a relationship. Like, when's the right time to take it slow, take it fast, move forward. If we do move forward, how much is too much?" His emerald eyes reflected serious concern.

In his usual manner, Igneous champed on his straw, contemplating. "Well, the way I see it is this. Our lives can't stand still; they're a wheel in constant motion. You can either roll along with it, or lose yourself trying to fight it. How fast you go isn't generally up to you."

Cheese grimaced, turning away. "So, you think it'll come natural? With me and Pinkie?"

"Well now, that's up to you two. You're a team after all."

"Team? Pinkie said something like that too." The lights dancing from the house drew his thoughts to the mare inside. "Doesn't make much sense to me."

"It's like this-" Igneous smiled, holding up the collar, "-Loving somepony and choosing to be in a relationship is a big commitment. In a sense, when you marry, you're hitching yourselves to the same cart. Of course, it's easier pulling the weight, but you'll still be facing the same challenges."

He coughed, staring into the sky and the few stars poking through the canopy. "There'll be times you disagree on the pace, the direction, or the paths you take and it'll hurt. But you've got to talk it out, and get through it together." Shuffling uncomfortably, he turned to Cheese. "That help?"

"Yeah, I guess." Cheese shook himself dry and joined in Igneous' star gazing. "But, what if we can't agree?"

"Then you compromise." Igneous smiled, placing a hoof on the stallion's shoulder. "But I'll tell you what. Despite all the heartaches, trials, and challenges, marriage has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. I wouldn't be the stallion I am today without her backing me up every step of the way." Winking, he started towards the house. "You'll know when you're ready. Don't rush it."

"Yes sir."

……………………………………………………………………………………………………....

Dinner was an interesting affair to be sure. The presence of their guests brought up the excitement exponentially, and soon they were all laughing and joking, even Igneous. After the meal however, Pinkie stepped outside to talk about the situation with the girls while Cheese helped clean up. A few minutes later, Pinkie bounced inside, followed closely by the others. She hopped over to her mother, "Mom, they need us back in Ponyville. So, I said we'd head back." Her bright face darkened a shade. "I know we said we'd stay a month, but it's important."

"That's all right, dear." The older pony's lined face creased ever so slightly, and she returned to wiping the table off. "We'll be sad to see you go so soon."

Cheese had been watching her intently, trying to register the situation. He had got the gist of it from Marble, but still remained much in the dark. A loud clink brought his attention to Igneous who had been stacking the clean dishes in the cabinet. The stallion's face was contorted with anger. What the? Looking between him and Pinkie, it was obvious that he did not approve of the decision. I need the whole story. "Pinkie, we need to talk."

"Okay." In a flash, she stood by him, beaming brightly. "What?"

"Not here." He gestured to the door.

An exasperated expression stretched across her face. "Cheesie." Seeing he was not in the mood to compromise, she followed him out, smiling a goodbye to her friends. She started getting irritated when Cheese kept walking until they were nearly at the barn. Finally, he stopped, turning to her. The overly serious expression reflected in his emerald eyes confused her.

"What's wrong, Cheesie?"

"What's going on?" A sharp jerk of his chin to the house implied the situation with their friends.

"Oh, is that all?" Pinkie let out an audible sigh of relief. "Well, the ponies back home and Mayor Mare are in a tizzy because we're not there to spread the cheer like normal. Also, the fall festival's coming up and they want us there to plan."

"Oh, I forgot about that."

Pinkie cuffed him playfully on the shoulder. "Yeah, I kinda did too. Strange isn't it? Two party ponies forgetting a big shindig like that."

"We've been worried about other stuff I guess. Still, we've had fun."

"Fun? Cheesie, you nearly died in a rock tumbler, passed out from exhaustion, and got stuck in mud for eight hours. How is that fun?"

The quiet around them broke as he laughed loudly. "Oh, that didn't bother me. I've had a lot of fun lately. Honest. Plus, I learned a hundred ways not to get out of a mud pit."

Pinkie joined in the laughter then. "Yeah, I did have a good time with everypony."

"You've got a good family." He realized that he was being sucked in by Pinkie's mystical ability to dodge any issue. Shaking his head, he returned the stony expression to his face once more. "Pinkie, you're not answering the question."

"What? I told you what was going on."

"Pinkie." His eyes looked like they were going to pierce the mare clean through. "You know what I mean. You're Dad and you don't seem to be getting along."

"Oh that." Pinkie rolled her eyes, "Mom said earlier that he wanted me to stay the whole month. But, they really need us in Ponyville, so I said we'd go back."

Cheese rubbed his forehead, "Pinkie, I don't think Igneous would have asked you to stay if he didn't really want you to."

"But Dad's always saying that when I visit. It's no big deal."

"No big deal!" The loud tone of his voice startled even himself, and he swallowed, trying to control himself. "The stallion gets a letter from you a month, but is lucky to see you once a year. You tease him with the prospect of actually getting to have his daughter home for more than a day, then snatch it away just like that."

"I didn't snatch it on purpose!" Pinkie felt her face begin to heat. What's wrong with him? I didn't do anything wrong.

"Would it kill you to spend a few extra days with them? By Celestia, you're selfish."

"Selfish? I'm not selfish mister!" The heat was reaching fever pitch, and for the first time in her life she felt like punching Cheese. Stupid stallion! "I'm thinking about all the ponies counting on me in Ponyville."

"In Ponyville? What about here? What about your own family? Don't they matter anymore?" Cheese was screaming at her now, mane and tail bristling and eyes flashing. "You sound like my parents." Cheese knew the instance the words left his mouth, he'd said the worst possible thing.

Pinkie's anger shattered like glass, replaced with an empty sort of sadness. Her mane and tail drooped, and straightened, a darker shade replacing her coat's light one. "I'm like them?"

"No. I-" He reached for her, heart aching, "-I didn't mean that. You're not, Pinkie, you're not."

Tears streamed down her cheeks and onto the mud. "I'm not a good pony?"

"Yes you are. If anything, I'm the bad pony here." He held her close, allowing her to sob into his coat. He stroked her mane, apologizing over and over again.

Slowly, she recovered enough to look up at him. "I just did what I've always done. Was it wrong, Cheesie?"

"It's not a right and wrong kind of choice, Pinkie. You probably made the logical choice. It's not good or bad, it just is. But-" He sighed, looking into her eyes, moist with tears. "-if I were you, I'd stay."

"Why?"

Cheese's heart tightened in his chest, and he turned away from her. "My parents never liked me. Not once did they say they wanted me around." He tried to fight back the salty tears from his own eyes now. "You don't know what it's like, and I hope you never will. It's the worst feeling in all the world, and it hurts for years and years, Pinkie. I don't want that for you. I don't."

"Cheesie," Pinkie held him close, pressing her side to his until their breathing matched. "My family's never going to be that way, and neither am I. You win, I'll stay." She giggled a little, then stopped when realization sunk in. "Who'll take care of Ponyville?"

Cheese snorted, rolling his eyes. "You think a party pony of my caliber can't handle one fall festival by himself? Have a little faith."

"Kay, but I'll miss you like crazy."

"It won't be for long. And you know I'll be thinking of you." Cheese held her tight for a while longer, then released her. "We'd better get back, they'll get worried we've fallen into another hole."

Pinkie nodded agreement, and they walked slowly back inside. As they walked, her mind turned to the past few days. Cheesie's been so serious lately. It's not like him. Inwardly, she vowed to confront him about that, but not now. Now, she just wanted to enjoy this quiet moment together.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………....

Applejack was more than surprised when Cloudy came into the living room to wake them well before the sun had risen. Of course, she rose early back home, but she never got up quiet this early unless there was a special occasion. "Howdy, Mrs. Pie. You're up a might early."

"Well, yes. But we don't want you missing the morning train." A loud clink from the kitchen let everypony know she was making breakfast. "Can you go out to the barn and wake up Cheese? He'll be too tired to get himself up."

"Right." Grinning slyly at her still sleeping friends, she blew into each of their ears. Both shot up like rockets, Rainbow looking practically murderous. Laughing, Applejack pointed to Cloudy. "Go an help get breakfast ready. We've got ta leave soon."

Mumbling incoherently, Rainbow and Twilight flew over to help with the oatmeal. Satisfied she had done her job, Applejack trotted out the door and towards the barn. An involuntary shiver coursed through her body as the frigid morning air struck her coat. She swung open the door to wake up the stallion, only to find him lying perfectly awake on a bed of straw. "Well, you're up early."

"I couldn't sleep." In truth, he had spent all night thinking of his argument with Pinkie, their future, and, for some reason, his parents. Never in all his life had he dealt with such a sea of emotions. He ached all over from trying to make sense of it all. Seeing Applejack's confused stare, he gave a halfhearted smile. "Had a lot on my mind."

"Yeah." What's gotten into him? "Cheese, what's wrong? I've never seen you like this. I'm half expectin' yer mane ta go flat like Pinkie's."

Cheese gave a soft chuckle. "My mane doesn't to that. It's always hopelessly poufy. I…" Guess I am kinda distracted. "I've had a lot on my mind. I'm not sad, Applejack, just confused."

"'Bout what?"

"A little of everything." He smiled for real, "I'll work it out. Don't you worry."

"All right." Applejack followed him out the door and back into the house.

Everypony was already seated at the table when they arrived. Pinkie cantered over to Cheese, giving him a big hug. "Good morning, morning glory."

He raised an ear. Never heard that one before. "Morning." Her gentle touch set sparks running up his sides. As if by some unknown force, he felt instantly relaxed. He leaned in, giving her a long kiss on the muzzle.

Pinkie kissed back, and turned back to the table. "You'd better eat. The train's leaving soon."

"Don't remind me." He put on a big smile and settled down beside Pinkie.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

A silence filled the compartment, broken only by the rattling of the train wheels. Ironically, the situation was unsettling to Twilight. When they had settled in, Twilight has supposed Cheese would break out his usual comedy routine. Instead, he settled himself by the window, staring blankly at the scenes flying by. Rainbow and Applejack were playing a game of cards, deep in concentration. As she was sitting beside the stallion, she decided to strike up a conversation. "You'll see her soon. Don't think about it so much."

Cheese mumbled, "I'm not."

Twilight realized her mouth was ajar, and slammed it shut. The collar resting comfortably around Cheese's neck drew her attention. She had to admit, he looked like ridiculous in his traveling poncho, wide brimmed hat, and collar. "You really like that don't you?"

"Yeah. Igneous made it for me." An irritated flick of his short tail told her the conversation was over.

Twilight snorted in exasperation, prepared for a snide comeback, but her better judgment told her it would be unwise. Grimacing, the memory of Cheese pinning her down in the library flooded her mind. He's not somepony I want to get angry. And geeze is he grouchy today.

For several dreadfully long minutes, they sat in silence, until Cheese turned to her. Twilight tried to hide her frustration. "Yes?"

The stallion stared, expression unreadable. "I've got some business in Manehattan. I'll be going there after the festival."

"Business?" Why in Equestria would you want to go there? You hate that place! She felt her heart beat uncontrollably in her chest. What if he does something reckless? Pinkie couldn't handle that.

"Twilight?" Cheese was staring at Twilight's unreadable expression with concern. "It won't take long, and I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I understand." No, no I don't understand! What in the hay is wrong with you? She proceeded, carefully neutral. "Family business is it?"

Cheese's teeth clenched tightly, "Yeah."

"I hope it works out." Twilight smiled sweetly, inwardly cringing. Should I stop him now? No, that wouldn't be right. But I will tell Pinkie, I have to.

A soft smile broke across Cheese's face. "I hope so too."