• Published 20th Mar 2014
  • 6,452 Views, 562 Comments

What Changes May Come - Bluegrass Brooke



Cheese Sandwich returns to Ponyvillle and discovers his love for Pinkie. To his surprise, she loves him back! Will he and Pinkie be willing to accept the changes and challenges that follow?

  • ...
11
 562
 6,452

Work

Author's Note:

Yes another chapter. This is just a little fluff chapter to give you the warm fuzzies. This one's dedicated to all of us with too much to do and not enough time to do it. Keep up the good fight. Anywho, hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think in the comments. Thanks for reading!

The sweet aroma of cupcakes drifted lazily across the warm bakery. Pinkie loved the early morning baking rush, and today was no exception. She bounced across the room carrying a tray of chocolate cupcakes fresh out of the oven. Spinning them expertly on the counter, she walked over to Mrs. Cake and started to help decorate the cooled ones. "Oooh. I love the sprinkles Mrs. Cake." Pinkie gestured to the yellow flower shaped sprinkles covering the white icing.

"Do you? I'm glad. We just got in a whole box of them." The heavyset mare beamed at Pinkie as she finished up icing the cakes. "Did you have fun yesterday?"

"Yup a doodles. We played in the water for hours!"

"And what about your day with Cheese?" Mrs. Cake smirked knowingly at her.

Pinkie flushed, and started to decorate more determinately. "It went really well. The best." She watched as her mentor handed the finished cakes to her husband and walked back. "Say, Mrs. Cake?"

She turned her round face towards the now shy looking mare. "Yes dear?"

"You said I could ask you advice about-" She gulped, suddenly feeling very nervous. "-about stallions, and dating."

"Of course. Ask me anything Pinkie."

Pinkie never felt so awkward. She took a deep breath. "Well, you see Saturday, when I was with Cheese, we decided to start dating."

She gave Pinkie a big hug. "Oh I'm so glad for you two!" She rubbed the mare's mane affectionately. "That's wonderful news Pinkie."

Pinkie was a little taken aback. "You're not upset?"

"Pinkie, why in Equestria would I be upset about you dating? My, my it's about time you two started up." She poked her head in the front of the shop, beaming brightly. "Did you hear that dear?"

"I sure did." Mr. Cake totted into the bakery giving Pinkie a pat on the back. "Good for you Pinkie. Ah, to be courting again. Eh dear?" The couple laughed together, then split back up for work.

"But, Mrs. Cake." Pinkie looked worriedly into the mare's eyes. "I don't know how to date. What do I do?"

She ruffled Pinkie's mane affectionately. "Dear, you don't have to do anything. Just go on being yourself."

"But, isn't there some kind of rules?" Pinkie looked so serious, Mrs. Cake could not help but burst out laughing.

"Pinkamena Pie, there are no rules to dating. My, you sound like Mr. Cake the first time we started. All you can do is be yourself, and the same goes for him." She handed Pinkie a tray of cupcakes. "Don't worry yourself."

"Okey dokey then." Pinkie smiled and took the tray. Just be myself, got it.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

"Pinkie, don't you think there's too many balloons?" Cheese turned to the mare resting beside him in the late afternoon shade, and pointed at the drawing between her hooves. The entire page seemed to be filled with balloons and streamers of various colors.

"Don't be silly, Cheesie, there are never too many balloons." Pinkie puffed her chest out confidently, and gestured to the park gazebo in front of them. "Why even the gazebo could use some balloons. It'd make everything so cheery."

Cheese rolled his eyes. "Pinkie, not everypony wants balloons plastered everywhere. Put too many out and it looks, lame."

Pinkie gasped and knocked him playfully on the head with her hoof. "Take that back mister."

He gave a defiant smile and turned his head. "Nope. We're planning Spike's birthday party, so it needs to be cooler and less girly."

Pinkie snorted with laughter, rolling in the cool grass. "Cooler? Who are you, Rainbow Dash?"

Cheese chuckled and joined the mare, laughing and rolling around, before pinning her down. He leaned in, and nuzzled her on the cheek. "Fine, put as many balloons as you want."

"Okey dokey." Pinkie nuzzled him back, and sat upright. She looked at the darkening sky with a frown. "It's not fair that we have to work all day. We hardly get to see each other."

Cheese chuckled, resting his head on Pinkie's back. "Yeah. But, it's not like I'm going anywhere."

Pinkie grinned and lay still. She liked feeling Cheese's touch, and was happy to just savor the moment. That was until three fillies broke it.

"Eeewe. Lovebirds." Scootaloo pulled up on her scooter, Applebloom and Sweetie Bell were on roller skates, holding onto ropes trailing behind it. They jumped off, and stared at the pair.

Cheese lifted his head and smiled at the trio. "Hello fillies. Do you need something?" Pinkie was too embarrassed to speak and pretended to be interested in a pair of butterflies near the fountain.

Sweetie Belle's eyes darted from Pinkie to Cheese. "Yeah-"

"-So it's true!" Applebloom interjected, starting thunderstruck at the pair. "-Yer datin'? I thought Applejack was tryin' ta trick me. But she was tellin' the truth."

"What?" Sweetie gaped at them with renewed interest. "Are you really?"

Cheese nodded, placing a hoof on the quivering mare's back. "Yup a doodles fillies. Isn't that right Pinkie?"

"Yeah." Pinkie turned to the mares, her face the color of Applebloom's mane. "We are."

Scootaloo snickered. "See I told you!"

Sweetie Belle sighed and turned to her friends. "We didn't come here to tease them girls. Remember?"

"Oh, right." Scootaloo trotted over to Cheese. "Say, Cheese. We've got a big school play coming up. Normally Big Mac helps us out, but he's too busy at the farm. So-"

"-so can you help us make a set?" Applebloom pranced up to the stallion, eyes shining with anticipation. "Seein' as how yer so handy an all."

Cheese chuckled at the thought of being called "handy," by a bunch of fillies. "Sure. I'd be happy to."

"Yes!" The fillies held each other in a big hug. Scootaloo smiled at them. "Thanks! It's going to be so much cooler with your help."

He waved as they set off down the path. Sighing, he turned to Pinkie. "Sorry about that."

"No worries." Pinkie snuggled up closer to him. "But that means we'll have even less time together."

"What? You going to have me turn away three cute fillies in need?" He laughed and Pinkie joined in. It did his very soul good to have her around.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Big Mac pulled the heavily laden wagon down one of the orchard's side roads in the midday heat. Some way ta spend a Saturday. He stepped out of the shaft and walked around to see what was wrong with the wheels. Frowning, he examined each in turn, but no luck. Must have loaded it too heavy. Darn, I got ta get this ta the next field.

He sighed, staring up at the achingly blue sky, heart heavy. Never had Big Mac been so unsure of himself. Sure wish an answer come down an find me. As if in reply, he looked up to see Cheese Sandwich galloping towards him. Well, not the answer I was hopin' fer. Guess beggars can't be choosers.

"Hey Big Mac!" Cheese skidded to a halt in front of the burly stallion, green eyes flashing with excitement. "How are ya?"

"Okay, I guess." Big Mac shuffled the dirt uncomfortably. His last conversation with the stallion had not ended well. It's all my fault fer asking 'bout his family. It surprised him to see Cheese beaming warmly at him. "Aint you supposed ta be helpin' with the play props?"

"Already done. It was an easy job." He bounced up and down, quite like his marefriend. The resemblance was a little uncanny. "Since I finished early, Cheerilee asked if I could come help you out. Of course I said yes."

Big Mac dropped the piece of straw held permanently in his mouth. "She what?"

"She was worried about you working too hard. So she asked me if I could come and give you a hoof." He stopped his bouncing, looking at Big Mac with concern. "You okay? It's not good to work so hard by yourself. You could get hurt."

"I'm used ta it." Big Mac watched the stallion pace around the wagon and step into the shaft. "What are ya doin? Ya ain't strong enough ta move that."

"At least let me try. I'm stronger than I look."

He rolled his green eyes, sighing. I do need a break. "Fine but you push from the back. I'll pull."

"Okay." Cheese happily pranced to the back of the wagon, and started to push.

Big Mac was surprised to feel how much easier it was to pull the wagon. He smiled at the lank stallion. Guess he's gettin' stronger after all. Together, they moved the heavy wagon all the way into the grassy field. They stood panting for a few minutes. Cheese walked over to the bed and peered inside. "What's all this?"

"Just some supplies." The big stallion pulled out a jug of cider and took a long gulp.

Cheese stared questioningly at Big Mac. "What do you need so much wood for anyway? And nails? You've already got a fence."

"It ain't yer business why." Big Mac found his face feeling very hot, and he looked around at the grassy field. It was in the farthest corner of the farm, separated from the orchard, and had remained untouched since the land was purchased. He watched Cheese trotting around the field, exploring. How's he got so much energy left? "Say, if yer just gonna prance around like some filly, ya mind givin' me a hoof?"

"Sure." Cheese helped Big Mac unload the heavy cart. Long planks of wood, boxes of nails, hinges, a saw, and several hammers were lifted onto the ground. He so wanted to ask his friend what in Equestria he was building, but thought better of it.

Big Mac did a quick inventory, then pulled out a long scroll of parchment from his saddlebags. He glanced at the sun. Still plenty of daylight. Be a shame ta waste his help. Guess it wouldn't hurt ta tell him. "Say Cheese, can ya keep a secret?"

"Sure I can." Cheese trotted over to his friend. "What's up?"

Big Mac sighed and rolled out the parchment. Cheese leaned in and stared at the plan. "Wow. Did you design that yourself?"

"Eeeup." Big Mac stared at the detailed drawing he had been working on for months. It was a blueprint of a small, one story house, complete with porch, kitchen, living area, and bedroom.

"I love it. All the details, the fixtures, it's all here." He stared at his friend, grinning broadly. It would be a challenge, but the end result would be worth it. The only question remaining was why. "Big Mac, why do you need to build a house? You live with your family on the farm."

Big Mac flushed crimson. I thought he'd understand, bein' a loner. "I love my family an all, but I got ta strike it on my own sometime." He looked at Cheese's cutie mark. "Listen, yer a travlin' pony, I ya been free ta see the world fer years now."

Cheese snorted a laugh. "It's not all it's cracked up to be Big Mac."

"I know. An that's why I ain't leavin' Ponyville. Just-" He took a deep breath, "-I gotta live my own life ya know?"

Cheese had to admit, he did not sympathize with the stallion. Ever since he left Manehattan, he never hesitated to live his own life, not once. Even now, staying in Ponyville, working as an under carpenter, and even dating Pinkie were all his own choices. "I guess I can't relate. Sorry."

"It's okay." Big Mac stared up into the sunny sky. "It's just ever since my folks left-" He gulped, trying to push back the memory. "-I've been lookin' out fer the rest of my family. It's always been that way, an I don't even mind so much. Just, I feel it's time ta start thinkin' 'bout my own future."

Cheese nodded. "You're right. But is your family going to be okay with you moving out?"

"Eeeup. It's not like I'll be far away. I'll come an help out on the farm in the mornin's and go home in the evenin's." He smiled at the pile of wood they had brought. "Plus, Granny's already given me her blessin'. I'm ready."

Cheese puffed out his chest confidently. "All right. I'll be happy to help if you'll have me."

"I'd appreciate it, a lot. But wouldn't ya rather spend time with Pinkie?"

Cheese flushed and pawed the ground. "Oh, we'll make time to spend together. Besides, I'll help you out on the weekends, and I can spend time with Pinkie after work. How's that sound?"

"Sounds great." Big Mac ruffled the younger stallion's mane affectionately. "Yer like a little brother ta me. Ya know that?"

"What? Really?" He gave Big Mac a quick jab in the shoulder, chuckling. "I've never had a brother before. But, it sounds nice."

"Eeeup."
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

"Cheesie! Were you listening?"

"Sorry. Sorry." Once again Cheese and Pinkie were resting under the tree in the park. This time however, he was not so focused on the mare. His eyes felt heavy, and all he wanted to do was sleep. But, they had a party to plan, and he was not about to let Pinkie down. He reverted his attention to the drawing in front of them. "Looks good."

"I wasn't asking about the plan silly. I was asking about the invitations. Did you send them off?" Pinkie's blue eyes were staring piercingly into his own, making him rather uncomfortable.

Cheese rubbed his eyes, trying to focus. "Yeah. I brought them to the post office yesterday."

"Okey dokey then. Now we need to figure out how much cake I have to make." Pinkie turned to the stallion, sighing. Why isn't he paying attention? He's been like this for days now. I hope he's okay. "Focus Cheesie!"

"Huh? Sorry, sorry." He sighed and lay his head on Pinkie's withers. "I'm just so sleepy."

Pinkie giggled. "Why?"

"You don't live with Brahm." Cheese moaned, his head still hurt from the raucous get together his roommate had thrown the night before. "I don't much care for his brand of parties."

She snorted, trying to imagine a party thrown by Brahm. "Was it loud?"

"Ughh. You have no idea!" Cheese closed his eyes, savoring the bubblegum smell permanently attached to her flouncy mane. Somehow, it always relaxed him.

Pinkie giggled, and watched the fountain absent mindedly. "How's the super-secret project with Big Mac going?"

"Good. We should be done by the end of fall." If I last that long…

"So long?" Pinkie had thought of all kinds of projects the two could be doing, but she never thought it would take so long. It's not fair! I want to spend time with Cheesie too. For the past three weeks, the only time they had to themselves was just after work and before supper on week days. The Cakes were always so strict about her being home in time for dinner, and she could not blame them. She was their only foalsitter and by the end of the day, they needed a break.

"Yeah. It's not good." Despite his best efforts, he found himself drifting off again. He and Harvey had worked hard all day in the scorching heat to finish the porch on the house they were constructing. Though he loved hard work, his stamina would never be as good as the heavy built stallion. Add to the fact he was helping Big Mac on the weekends, it made sense that he was tired. "Just want a day to rest."

Pinkie nodded in agreement. "I know the feeling. The bakery's had so much business, everypony wants special cakes and cookies made, it's getting crazy. And the twins are so hard to watch, always getting into trouble the second my back is turned."

Cheese started to chuckle, then burst out laughing. Pinkie stared at him confused. "Cheesie? What's so funny?"

"Geeze, we sound like an old married couple!" He rolled on the grass clutching his sides. "Next think you know we'll be sitting in front of Town Hall discussing the weather."

Pinkie joined in, laughing harder than she had in a while. She snorted with glee, and nuzzled Cheese softly. "At least we have each other."

"Yeah. We sure do." They lay in the cool grass, watching the sun fall into the horizon. Sighing, Pinkie stood up. Cheese stood to join her. "Going back to the Corner?"

"Yeah." She smiled playfully at Cheese. "Walk me home?"

He smiled back, making a little bow. "It would be my pleasure."

They laughed together the whole way back, discussing the upcoming parties and events. Admittedly, there were not many, but at this point they would take what they could get. Pinkie felt her heart grow heavy when she reached the door. Time always went way too fast whenever she was with him. "Well, guess this is it."

"Yeah." Cheese sighed, wishing they could talk longer. Pinkie's azure eyes shone beautifully in the moonlight. He leaned forward and gave her a long kiss on the muzzle. "Night. Love you."

Pinkie gave him a hug, and a kiss of her own. "You too."