• Published 20th Mar 2014
  • 6,453 Views, 562 Comments

What Changes May Come - Bluegrass Brooke



Cheese Sandwich returns to Ponyvillle and discovers his love for Pinkie. To his surprise, she loves him back! Will he and Pinkie be willing to accept the changes and challenges that follow?

  • ...
11
 562
 6,453

Turn it Around

Author's Note:

So, this chapter was a lot of work. I've been planning the ending scenes for it since I started writing the story. I debated when it would be best to put it in, but I decided now was the time. I was quite focused on making it flow naturally with the rest of the story, so I hope I succeeded. There is soft core gore in this chapter, so reader discretion is advised.

It was not easy to write, and I'm quite nervous posting, as I felt it deserved to be done right. Comments would be especially appreciated on this one, I really want to know what you think of it. Anywho, enough blabbering. Enjoy the chapter guys!

"Are you sure about this?" Cheese stared questioningly at Twilight as she attached yet another wire to the metal helmet resting on his head. The library was strewn with papers and books, giving detailed descriptions of spells and complex equations. Twilight clucked disapprovingly and walked around the stool Cheese was seated on, adjusting the wires.

"I'm positive Cheese." Twilight levitated a book, flipping to a page and frowning. "According to Dr. Marzipan, if you use any kind of magic, this machine will pick it up."

Cheese stared incredulously at Twilight. Is she stupid? "Twilight I'm an earth pony. I don't have any magic."

Twilight smiled smugly. "That's just what you think." She chuckled to herself, remembering Celestia's letter months ago. "Celestia herself told me you earth ponies have your own brand of magic. My hypothesis is that your Cheesie sense and Pinkie's Pinkie sense are some kind of magic." Her lilac eyes shimmered with excitement. "To think that earth ponies can magic too! Isn't it wonderful?"

In an instant, Cheese's emerald eyes lost all trace of their usual kindness. His icy tone sent shivers up Twilight's spine and echoed across the room. "What in the hell makes you think I want to use magic?" He threw off the helmet, and kicked the machine over. Pinning his ears, he advanced towards Twilight. "You got a problem with earth ponies? Eh?"

Twlight stumbled backwards. What in Equestria is wrong with him? With a clatter, he knocked her to the ground, pressing his hoof into her chest. Tears began to fill her eyes, and for the first time in her life, she found herself afraid of another pony. "No. Please, please don't hurt me."

As though a switch had been turned off, Cheese stopped. He looked around at the room, then at Twilight, stomach dropping out from underneath him. What did I just do? He stepped back from the alicorn, panic settling in. "Sorry. I-" He tried to find words to explain what happened, but he did not know himself. A sinking sensation was fast filling his senses. I'm just like him. Turning sharply, he galloped out of the Library.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

"Hey Pinkie Pie, you got a minute?" A ruddy brown stallion walked into the interior of Sugar Cube Corner. His dusty hooves sent little clouds billowing across the well swept floor. Pinkie's eyes moved from the yellow safety vest to the stallion's bright yellow hard hat. "Sure thing Harvey." She bounced over to him, teeth flashing kindly. "What do you need?"

Harvey looked rather awkward, and held his hoof to his head in frustration. How to put it delicately. "It's just that Cheese didn't show up to work today. He's always there before we start, it's making me worried. I went to his tent, but he wasn't there."

Pinkie gasped, and her heart began to race. Cheese is missing? Oh my gosh. "I'll go look for him right away. I know he wouldn't leave work for no good reason Harvey, I just know it!" Before he could protest, Pinkie had dashed out the door.

Mr. and Mrs. Cake walked out of the kitchen, looking from Harvey to the empty store. Mr Cake frowned. "Harvey, uh where's Pinkie?"

I've got to tell Twilight. She'll know what to do, she always does. Pinkie was running so fast through town that she skidded hard into the library door. It swung open, and she tumbled inside. "Twilight! I've got a big problem!"

"Pinkie Pie? What on earth is the matter?" Twilight was sitting at her desk, reading a large spell book and frowning at the unexpected disturbance. Spike was attempting to sweep the floor and moaned in frustration at the dirt Pinkie had dragged in.

Pinkie galloped over to Twilight and shook her vigorously. "It's Cheesie. He's didn't show up for work today, and he's not home. We've got to find him."

"Missing? I don' see-" Twlight stopped, remembering last evening. A sort of cold dread sunk into her chest then, and she clenched her teeth. She had pondered the stallion's sudden hostility all night, but simply could not bring herself to understand it. It was as though Cheese had become a completely different pony in a split instant; a pony she did not want to meet ever again. She decided to broach the subject with Pinkie. "Pinkie does Cheese like magic?"

Pinkie slapped a hoof to her forehead. "What does that have to do with finding Cheesie?"

Twilight frowned, preparing herself. It was no use lying to Pinkie, her birthday party incident last year was proof enough of that. "It has everything to do with it." She gestured to a stool. "Take a seat and relax. I don't think he's in any danger." Though you might be…

Spike looked as confused as Pinkie and walked over to join the mares. "What's going on Twi?"

Frowning, the alicorn gestured to the door. "Spike, you go outside. You're not ready to hear this."

"No fair." Spike folded his arms and marched outside, mumbling under his breath.

Twilight turned and stared at her nervous friend. She hoped her next words would not tear a rift in their friendship. "Pinkie. There's something about Cheese you need to know, and it's not…it's not good." She folded her wings close to her side. Why me? "You know I've been helping him with his Cheesie sense this past week right?"

Pinkie nodded. "Yeah. He told me about that." What's Twilight getting at?

"Listen to me Pinkie." Twilight frowned and smiled sadly at the mare. I'd better tell her the story from the beginning. "It all started after I had set up my magic reading machine. I told him about the letter Celestia sent me a few months ago. Did I tell you about that?"

Pinkie shook her head and began to fidget on the stool. "What did Celestia say?"

"That earth ponies have magic of their own."

Pinkie gasped and toppled off the stool. She began to hop excitedly up and down. "We do? Oh my gosh! That's amazing Twilight. Just think of the possibilities."

Twilight smiled at her friend, glad to see a semi-normal reaction to her news. "That's exactly what I told Cheese. I said 'Is't it exciting?' But instead of being happy, he-" Twilight tried to think of the best words. "-he was scary."

Pinkie stop hopping and stared at Twilight. "Scary like Nightmare Night scary? 'Cause he might have just been practicing for that. After I told him about the Ponyville Nightmare Night, he was so-"

Twilight raised a hoof to her friend's mouth, silencing her. She shook her head slowly. "No Pinkie, this was…the bad kind of scary. I thought-" Twilight's eyes began to mist over. "-I thought he was going to hurt me."

Pinkie stared in disbelief at Twilight's now tear streaked face. Twilight wouldn't lie about that kind of stuff. But, Cheesie wouldn't hurt anypony. She started to feel very confused and looked around, wishing some answers would fall from the countess tomes. "I don't understand Twilight. I believe you, but I know Cheesie. He wouldn't hurt you."

Twilight winced at the memory of Cheese's harsh glare and sudden personality shift. "You don't know everything about him, and that's my point."

"But-"

Once again, Twilight pressed a hoof to Pinkie's mouth. Her eyes turned deadly serious. "Pinkie. I want you to promise me you'll be more careful around Cheese Sandwich from now on."

Pinkie could not believe her ears. "Cheesie's not some kind of criminal Twilight. Besides-" I love him. Noticing Twilight's harsh glare, she gulped and nodded. "Okay. I'll…I'll go ask him myself. There's got to me a reason why." She looked outside the windows at the bright day outside, and stood up. Slowly, she walked to the door, tail hung low and mane distinctly less flouncy.

Twilight trotted over to join her. "You want me to come too?"

She shook her head, and smiled. "It's okay. Something tells me I've got to do this on my own." Stretching her hooves out, she gave Twilight a big hug. "Be back later. I promise."
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I'm not like that. I'm not. Cheese repeated the words over and over in his head like an incantation, but to no avail. He lay by a still pond inside the Everfree forest. Though the forest scared many ponies, he found a strange measure of comfort in the Sabbath stillness around him. Heart heavy, he stared at his reflection with disgust, swirling the water with his hoof. Why do I make a mess of everything I touch?

Familiar memories began to surface, memories he long tried to forget. Moaning, Cheese gritted his teeth against them. Go away. I don’t need you! Desperate to blot them out, he focused on the ground, tears filling his eyes. "Go away." But, he was too exhausted to fight it anymore. Slowly he slipped into the darkness.

"Two C's? What kind of idiot is he anyway?" A tall, grey unicorn stallion glowered at the palomino mare standing before him. Moonlight streamed into the apartment, and danced off the immaculately kept interior. He stomped his hoof hard on the stone floor, sending an echo that reverberated throughout the room, and knocking over a vase.

The mare's amber eyes flashed to the door nervously. "Dear please. The neighbors." Using her magic, she carefully levitated the shards of the vase into a dustbin. "I do believe you are overreacting."

"Overreacting am I?" He snorted in frustration. "I'll teach that ingrate a lesson. Humiliate me will he?" The stallion strode forward and called down the hall. "Come on out where I can see you."

Cautiously, a small colt with a bushy brown mane and tail walked into the moonlit living room. A pair of over large glasses made his eyes bulge like an insect's. His legs were shaking uncontrollably as he made his way to his father.

The tall unicorn's green eyes stared with an icy chill. "So, not only do you fail to get into the academy, you decide to double my humiliation with these grades of yours." His voice cut the air like a dagger. "You've got some nerve." Striding forward, he backed the little colt into a corner of the room, glowering. "I think a day of reflection's in order."

Whimpering, the colt darted around his father's legs and hid behind his mother. The unicorn mare huffed, and casually pushed him away from her. With a green aura, he was hoisted into the air by his father. "Get the box Starlight."

She sighed, and strode into the next room. "All right dear." Returning a few seconds later, she withdrew a large, wooden box with tiny holes drilled in the side. The colt started to scream and flail against the magic, as he was lifted inside it and the lid locked tight. "Be quiet. You brought this on yourself you know."

I didn't. I'll be good. I'll be good, I promise. Cheese lay in the clearing, tears streaming down his muzzle as he twitched in his sleep.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

It was sunset by the time Cheese awoke. His heart was racing from the dream, and he looked at his sweat soaked sides. Sighing, he took a deep breath of fresh evening air. The pure smell of rain was in the air, and he gave a small smile. With a bit of effort, he stood and shook his mane back into position. After a quick drink from the pond, he turned to look around at the still forest.

I've got to go back. His stomach churned with apprehension. Harvey will be furious, and Twilight… He gulped, remembering his outburst with dread. The look in her eyes, she thought I was some kind of monster. I don't think she'd forgive me so easily. His heart ached at the thought of any of his friends being scared of him. I can't leave things the way they are.

He set off, hoping he would find the courage and words to say when the time came. The forest was fast growing dark, and he stumbled more than a few times on loose roots and rocks. Try as he may, the memories that had resurfaced during his dream clung heavy like the darkness around him. Don't think about it Cheese. Think of something happy. Think of Pinkie.

For a long time, he kept walking deeper and deeper into the forest. With sinking dread, he paused and looked around him. I should have left the forest by now. He slapped a hoof to his forehead. Idiot! Why didn't you pay attention to where you were walking? Glancing this way and that, he tried to make out a direction, but the undergrowth was too thick. The air around him was now heavy with the scent of rain. From Pinkie's descriptions, the rain fell on its own here, unaided by any pegasus. For all he knew it could be a storm coming. What now?

As if in answer to his question, the sound of hoofbeats made him wheel around. Over there! He galloped towards the sound, pushing through a particularly dense patch of undergrowth. Tumbling forward, he landed onto a dirt road. He looked upwards to see, "Pinkie?"

Pinkie Pie looked more distraught then he had ever seen her. Her flouncy mane was covered in burrs, twigs, and leaves and her normally glossy coat was shaggy and coated in mud. She was panting hard, tears streaming down her muzzle. Before he could stop her, she jumped on top of him, giving him a bone crushing hug. "Cheesie! There you are. I was so worried."

Smiling back he pried her gently off of him. "Here I am. He he."

Pinkie wiped the tears from her eyes, and took on a stern look. "I've been looking for you for hours. I almost gave up!"

Cheese looked at the ground, avoiding Pinkie's stare. "I just had to do some thinking that's all."

"That's all?" Pinkie sighed and placed a hoof on Cheese's back. "Twilight told me what happened."

His heart leapt. "She did?" That's the last way I wanted her to find out about this mess. "I didn't mean to scare her Pinkie. Honest. I just-" Gulping, he continued slower "-lost control of myself."

Pinkie nodded, eyes filled with concern. "She was pretty scared, but I told her you didn't mean to. You didn't right?"

Cheese looked away. Oh Celestia give me strength. "I'm not sure. But I do feel awful about hurting Twilight. I want to apologize."

She helped him to his hooves, and puffed her chest out confidently. "Okey dokey then. We can go apologize now. What do you say?"

"Sounds good. But we'd better hurry. Looks like rain."

The weather soon proved Cheese's prediction to be vastly understated. When they started to Ponyville, it was drizzling. Now, thunder clashed around them and the rain came down in heavy sheets. They were still deep in the forest, when a bolt of lightning crashed into a nearby tree sending sparks in every direction. Pinkie screamed with fright, and before Cheese could stop her, she galloped into the darkened woods. "Pinkie! Wait up."

Cheese managed to catch her before she had gone too far. The mare was shaking with fright, and crying. "Sorry Cheesie. I'm not used to lightning coming so close."

He sighed and gave her a quick hug. "Yeah. Me too." He pointed to the distant roadway. "Let's head back."

They had not gone far, when another great flash of lightning broke through the sky and a thunderclap echoed so close it shook the ground. Pinkie started to prance anxiously. "Let's run back okay?"

Cheese nodded and they began to run towards the road. They were nearly there, when Cheese felt the ground give way underneath them. Before they could react, they tumbled down a dark hole and hit the hard ground with a thud.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

"Pinkie?" Cheese looked around blearily. It's dark too dark. A familiar chill settled in his stomach and he looked around. I can't see anything! Feeling his way, he made out that they were in a tiny, earth-lined pit of some sort. "Pinkie?" Panic settled in as he tried to locate the mare.

"I'm here." A small voice called from the ground near him.

He wheeled around and sighed with relief. "Thank Celestia you're all right!" Still, the cold dread was filling his chest. Rain still fell from the sky, but he could see no moon, no light to even tell where the earth ended and the sky began. "We've got to get out of here."

Struggling, he tried to climb, but the damp earth yielded no traction and he fell to the ground. "Ouch!" He had landed some very pointy rocks. Looking around at the dark, small space a familiar panic began to settle in the pit of his stomach. I've got to get out! Got to leave! "Let us out!" He shouted over and over again.

Pinkie spoke softly. "It's okay Cheesie. Somepony will find us."

"You don't understand! We've got to get out now." His heart would not stop racing, and soon his breathing became shallow. Desperately, the tried again and again to crawl out of the hole but to no avail. "Let us out!"

A gentle touch made him wheel about. "Pinkie, leave me alone. I've got to get us out."

The mare clutched his hoof. "No, Cheesie calm down. It'll be okay."

He pushed her away, and felt something strange on Pinkie's chest, something warm. She made a tiny squeak of pain and released him. What the? A new kind of panic fell into place. "Pinkie? What's wrong?"

The mare did not respond and Cheese felt around until he found her lying form. Slowly, he lowered himself to the ground next to her. As best he could in the darkness, he gently felt her side with his hoof. Her coat was rain soaked and cool for the most part, but his hoof slid on something warm and sticky. Blood. "Pinkie. You're cut."

Pinkie whispered, "Just a little scratch Cheesie. From the rocks…"

Cheese felt the injury and moaned. It was a great gash running from her back to belly. From what he could feel, it was deep, very deep. His voice broke, "Oh Pinkie."

Pressing her side, he attempted to stanch the flow of blood that now covered his own hooves. Tears filled his eyes as he worked. "Please be okay. Please be okay."

Pinkie's breathing was shallow, and she had gone silent. The flow of blood had stopped, but he could not tell the extent of Pinkie's injury in the dark. Slowly, he rested his head besides Pinkie's, feeling her soft breath. There was no pony in all of Equestia he cared more for. It's all my fault. All my fault.

"Cheesie."

Pinkie's soft voice pulled at his heart. He nuzzled her cheek gently. "I'm here Pinkie."

She gave a small chuckle, which sounded more like a gurgle with her breathing. "Don't leave again."

"I'm right here Pinkie." He inched closer to the mare until their bodies touched. "I'm not going anywhere."

"That's good." Her voice grew even softer. Cheese's body was quivering with fear, as he lay next to the mare. Pinkie softly nuzzled his neck. "Don't be scared Cheesie. Don't be scared."

He gulped. "I can't help it. Your hurt, and we're stuck here." Memories came rushing back, flooding his mind with thoughts of that box. His whole body shook with fear, and he leaned against Pinkie, savoring her warmth.

"Don't be scared." Pinkie repeat the words for a time. "I'm here." A soft, warm feeling filled Pinkie's heart even as the rain pounded coat. "I'm always going to be by your side." She kissed him on the muzzle this time.

Cheese felt his face turn hot. "Pinkie I-" He gulped, he never wanted to reassure her more than that moment. All he wanted was to stay by her side forever. But, he was not good for her, not one bit. "You don't want me around all the time Pinkie. I'm dangerous."

Pinkie tried to move, but Cheese pushed her down again. "You're not dangerous silly."

Cheese sighed. I can't keep her from the truth forever. "Yes I am. I'm my father's son, I guess it's in my blood." He rubbed his head gently against hers. "I'll tell you the whole story if you promise to stay still."

"Mm hmm."

"Remember how I told you I left Manehattan?"

"Mm hmm."

"I didn't just leave because I was shy. I had another reason." He sighed, inhaling the smell of Pinkie's coat and the fast falling rain. You can do this Cheese. "My parents aren't kind, not one bit. You might not understand, but sometimes, sometimes ponies can be cruel, very cruel."

"My father is a well-known businesspony and a gifted unicorn. Mother is a well renowned model for unicorn fashion. When I was born an earth pony, they didn't take it so well." He took a deep breath and continued. "Father was furious of course, said I was an embarrassment to his good name. But, in my earliest memories, shouting was all he would do. He was always going on about how they would have another foal, a unicorn, and that would be it." Snorting in frustration, he continued, "Then, one day mother got sick. The doctors said she'd never have another foal. That's when the trouble started."

"Mother used to play with me before then, treat me kindly. But, after her illness, she ignored me." His eyes filled with tears, remembering. "I wanted her to notice, to tell me she cared. But no matter what I did, she never batted an eye. So I stopped even trying."

"Oh Cheesie…"

"Father became obsessed with the idea of making me into somepony I'm not. His fits kept growing more and more violent. Then-" He shook even worse, the memory was painful. "-When I failed to get into the academy he wanted me to, he lost it. He locked me in a small, dark box. And mother-" His voice broke. "-mother did nothing. She just stood there and watched."

Pinkie could not comprehend his words. She believed the stallion wholeheartedly, but did not want to. How could anypony act like that?

"Two days Pinkie. They kept me locked in that horrible box two days. I thought I'd go mad." The shaking returned violently and he pressed closer to Pinkie, trying to blot out the memory. "I was so scared, thirsty, and alone. After they let me out, it was always the same punishment. Father didn't need an excuse to throw me in there. He was always saying things like 'a worthless earth pony like yourself doesn't deserve to be my son.' As though I could help being an earth pony? I was too scared to talk to the other colts about it, I thought I must be a terrible pony after all. So, I ran away. And I've been alone ever since."

Pinkie rested her hoof on his. He smiled at the mare, her warmth was the best kind of medicine. "I'm sorry Pinkie. I thought I was better than him, but I'm not. I scared Twilight the exact way father did to me. Maybe I'm just as bad as he is?"

"You're not him Cheesie." Pinkie sighed, voice very weak now. "Turn it around."

"What?"

"The past is just a memory, that's all it'll ever be." She lifted her head weakly. "We're party ponies, we're meant to turn frowns around." She leaned in, pressing close to him. "And those bad memories are just the same. Turn them around Cheesie. Make new happy memories, and there won't be room for the bad ones anymore."

Cheese chuckled softly. "I'll do my best."

"Mm hmm." She went very quiet for a time, then, "I love you Cheesie."

"Huh?" His heart leapt as those few words. "Pinkie I-" She had fallen fast asleep and he sighed. Leaning closer, he whispered in her ear, "I love you too."
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

"Pinkie? Cheese? Are you there?"

A familiar voice called from the top of the hole. Early dawn light filtered down, and the rain had ceased. Cheese turned to Pinkie's still form, shallow breaths rising and falling. His stomach churned at the mare's appearance. Her coat was so caked in mud that she looked to be the color of his mane. Matted blood mingled with the dirt and hair from her injury. The gash was just as large as he feared, and it was covered in a thick layer of dried blood. Try as he may, he could not nudge her awake. He looked to the top of the hole. "Twilight? Is that you?"

He watched as the alicorn's head appeared at the top of the long shaft. Her eyes were filled with surprise and panic when she saw the pair. "What in Equestia? Are you two all right?"

Cheese shook his head. "Pinkie's hurt bad. Can you get her out?"

Twilight nodded, and levitated the mare up with her magic. After she was safely on the grass, she did the same for Cheese. As soon as his hooves touched the ground, he rushed to Pinkies side, heart racing.

"Oh my." Twilight had never seen any injury like it, and felt her stomach tighten. "We've got to get her to a doctor."

Cheese nodded, and carefully picked the mare up. Twilight moved to help, but he pushed her gently back. "I'll carry her."

They walked as fast as they could down the path towards Ponyville. Twilight could not understand the situation, and Cheese did not seem to be in a talkative mood. "How did this happen?"

"There was a storm last night. We were heading back, but didn't see the hole and fell in." Cheese wished the alicorn would not look at him with that piercing expression of hers. "She cut her side on the rocks. I tried to get us out, but couldn't."

"I see. We were looking all night for the pair of you." Twilight watched the stallion carry Pinkie, face determined. Cheese no longer seemed willing to talk, and kept up a long silence.

After a time, he turned to her, a serious expression on his face. "I'm sorry Twilight."

"What for?" She stared at the mud soaked stallion, his face red with embarrassment.

"The way I acted around you the other night, I'm sorry. It was wrong, and no amount of apologies can change that." He held his head high, and his eyes sparkled with determination. "But I want to let you know I'm going to work hard to turn myself around. I'm not going to let myself lose control like that again."

Twilight wanted to scream at the stallion for his erratic behavior, but could not bring herself to do it.Pinkie's right, he's not that kind of stallion. She looked into his eyes and nodded. "All right Cheese, I believe you." Twilight stared at her still friend, side torn open. "We need to get her treated soon."

"Yeah." Cheese adjusted the mare on his back, and walked as fast as he dared.

When they reached the edge of the forest, two ponies were there to greet them. Fluttershy gasped when she saw Pinkie Pie. "Oh my goodness."

Rainbow Dash bolted forward to Pinkie, panic on her face. "What in Equestria? Is she okay Cheese?"

"I don't know." He was getting a little tired from carrying the mare, and his legs shook underneath him. Gently, he placed Pinkie on the ground. "Go and get help Rainbow Dash."

She nodded and zoomed off as fast as she could fly. Twilight walked over to Pinkie and started a spell on her to try and clean the wound. Cheese stood by the mare the whole time, gently trying to nudge her awake.

Pinkie's blue eyes fluttered open and she stared in confusion. "Where?"

He sighed with relief. At least she's awake. "Twilight found us, we're just outside of the forest."

Pinkie nodded, her eyes were dim, and she glanced at the wound. "Guess it is pretty deep." She looked pleadingly up at Cheese. "Don't go."

Cheese leaned down, pressing his face to hers. "I'm not going anywhere."

Try as they may, they could not keep Pinkie Pie awake. The three ponies watched their friend anxiously, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. All of them were worried, but none more so than Cheese. After Pinkie fell asleep, Cheese refused to leave her side. A new incantation filled his mind as they waited. Please be okay Pinkie. Please be okay.