• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 1,975 Views, 28 Comments

The Shadows Saga - Tagshadow



A unicorn colt wanders into Ponyville. But what's so special about him?

  • ...
0
 28
 1,975

PreviousChapters Next
The End of Chaos Ch. 3 Gone

Tag and the rest of the pirates had arrived just outside the Canterlot Castle gate; to the left was the gate to the city. McCutchen turned around and looked at his crew.

“All right now ponies, we’re going to split up. Tag, Fiandu, Pilot, Brook, Lop and I are all going to check out the castle. The rest of you need to go into town and check to see if any ponies are around. We’ll meet back here in one hour; make it quick, make it effective, and make sure you don’t take anypony’s belongings. Go.” He ordered quickly.

McCutchen and the ponies he had mentioned turned to look at the looming castle, it was alarmingly quiet.

“I’ll lead the way, stay right behind me.” McCutchen ordered as he looked at each of his party members in turn. Tag nodded in response to the warning and cast a quick look down at Tagia.

You ready for this? He asked. He felt Book hesitate.

Yes, but I hope that we aren’t too late.

The castle walls were as familiar as they had been before, but there was a new air of urgency as the party quickly made its way through the halls.

“Where are we going?” Lop whispered as they turned another corner.

“We’re hoping to find the throne room.” McCutchen answered.

“And find?” Tag asked.

“Find the princesses.” Pilot filled in. “Now stop talking and focus on being quiet.” Brook and Fiandu remained on task. They hadn’t continued for long before Lop’s voice could be heard again.

“What if the princesses aren’t there?” Nopony answered him right away.

“If the princesses aren’t there then… we’ll have to find them. The fate of Equestria could ride on us.” Brook answered at last. Tag could sense a hint of nervousness in her voice. On that final note McCutchen put the party’s advance to a stop.

“I think we’re here.” He announced. Tag recognized the double doors from his last visit.

“Yes, this is it.” He said darkly. McCutchen nodded to him and pushed the door open slightly. He looked through the crack for a moment before he pulled his head back out. “This could be a little problematic.” He whispered.

“What is it sir?” Lop asked.

“See for yourself…” McCutchen said and pushed the door open. Tag and the others stood aghast at what was in the room.

The bodies of many royal guards were strewn about the room like discarded toys. Large cuts and gashes littered their bodies and pools of blood had formed around each one. Towards the throne at the far end Tag could make out the bodies of what looked like several researchers huddled together. Lying at the foot of the throne though, was a body that Tag recognized.

No! Tag thought and began to run forwards without looking around. At the foot of the throne lay Tome’s body, badly butchered body.

His light green fur was soaked in blood, presumably his own. It looked like somepony had tried to hack off some of his limbs; only a few strands of flesh connected his left hind leg to his body. His face was cut up horribly so that it was almost unrecognizable. Clutched between his front hooves was a piece of paper covered in dried blood. The rest of the party had come into the room more carefully to observe the damage that had been dealt.

“By the gods above…” Lop whispered in horrified awe. Brook simply nodded in agreement. McCutchen spun around and looked directly at Fiandu.

“Get to the city and make sure the others are alright.” He ordered. Without a word Fiandu ran out of the room. Pilot looked at McCutchen.

“What are we supposed to do then?” He asked. Another voice answered.

“That’s a very good question.” The voice sounded emotionless, not like a living thing at all. Tag looked around for the source of the voice until a pony appeared from behind the door. This pony was horribly disfigured, his coat was a splotchy red and part of his face had been torn away. He wore a dark cloak and had a large sword slung over his shoulder. All eyes in the room turned to the newcomer. Lop looked away instantly, Pilot and Brooks’ faces were covered in shock. McCutchen was the only one that could hold his gaze.

“Who are you?” He asked coolly. The newcomer continued to step forward until he was only a small distance away from the party. Tag jumped up to stand beside McCutchen.

“I am Tac.” The pony’s mouth didn’t move, rather his horn lit up. “Maybe you’ve heard of me?”

“I remember you.” Tag said. “You’re… or were the royal strategist. But you are an agent of Discord’s. And I killed you.” Tag’s mind flew back to Antediluvian’s words: beware the one you thought was dead. He didn’t say anything though.

“Yes, a story that I’ve already told, to your brother even. I don’t feel like repeating myself though so you’ll just have to hear the story from him.” Tag stiffened.

“What happened to Tor?” He demanded; Tac smiled grimly.

“As I’ve said, you’ll just have to wait until the next time you see him.” He answered.

“What do you want?” McCutchen asked.

“I’ve simply come to offer a warning.” Tac started. “We’ve captured the princesses. We have slaughtered what remains of the royal guard. We’ve already killed half of the pirates that threaten us. I’ve only come to deal with what could possibly stop lord Discord. That would be Tag.” Tac explained pointing at Tag. At the mention of his crew McCutchen seized up.

“What have you done to my crew?” He demanded through gritted teeth.

“Simply dealt with them. Poor bastards won’t be a problem to anypony now.” Tac answered. Brook cast a worried glance at the captain. Pilot had his eyes closed, and Lop seemed to not believe what he had been told. Tac kicked idly at a corpse near him. “What are you going to do?” He asked. McCutchen picked up his front hooves and held them out menacingly.

“I’m going to beat you to death with my bare hooves!” He yelled and charged at Tac who threw his large sword aside.

McCutchen jumped over Tac attempting to hit him from above but Tac saw the move coming and dodged to the side. As McCutchen landed Tac planted a quick strike on his side, knocking him off balance. Lop jumped forward to join in but Pilot held out a hoof to block him.

“You’ll only get in the way!” He hissed.

“Well why don’t you do something then?” Lop demanded. Pilot looked back to the battle.

“Don’t!” McCutchen called out from where he struggled with Tac. “I can handle this!” Lop punched at the ground with his hoof and looked away, but he stayed his ground.

Tac brought a heavy hoof down on McCutchen’s head, but at the last second McCutchen spun around using his hind legs to knock Tac to the ground. Both ponies got up hurriedly and began to throw their hooves at each other, Tac matching McCutchen blow for blow. Before long McCutchen struck low, catching Tac in the gut but Tac seemed not to notice and used the opportunity to strike the right side of McCutchen’s face leaving a nasty gash. McCutchen nearly flew and landed back on the ground.

Tag fought desperately against the urge to jump to his friend’s side. Tac advanced on McCutchen without hesitation and began to kick his gut repeatedly. McCutchen tried to swat Tac away but with little success. Tac eventually backed off to let McCutchen stagger to his hooves.

“Have you had enough?” Tac asked. McCutchen rubbed his bleeding snout and tried to focus his eyes on Tac.

“I haven’t even started…” He mumbled through cut lips. His body was covered in bleeding cuts and several already darkening bruises. Tac bowed his head slightly.

“I’ll admit that you’re surprisingly… stubborn.” Tac confessed. “But it’s time that we brought this to a close.” Tac began to take slow steps toward McCutchen. When he was close, McCutchen lashed out with a hoof; Tac leaned backwards, just out of reach from McCutchen’s outstretched hoof. Tac then leaned forward and dealt a crushing blow to McCutchen’s head that knocked him down. Tac loomed over the broken body and watched.

Tag couldn’t take anymore; he tackled Tac away.

“Stop! Don’t you see he’s had enough?” Tag demanded. Tac said nothing, but stared expectantly at McCutchen for a moment.

“All that you care for is waiting at the Strait Stronghold, Northeast of here. I’ll take my leave… so that you may say goodbye.” Tac said to Tag, laughing. He stalked out of the room; making sure that he grabbed his sword. There was silence in the room save for McCutchen’s laboured breaths. A moment passed before Brook began to cry. She ran over to McCutchen and kneeled beside him. Pilot followed with a dazed look on his face. Tag looked down at McCutchen, horrified at the damage that Tac had caused.

McCutchen moved his badly broken hooves around and managed to drag himself towards a wall, he tried to sit up but was unable to push himself any higher. Tag used his magic quickly to pull McCutchen to a sitting position; one of his hind hooves was cruelly twisted. McCutchen looked at the ponies around him for a moment before a bloody, tired smile slowly appeared on his lips.

“Should have sheen dish one coming…” He slurred. Brook gave him a strange look through her tears.

“Seen this coming?” She asked, her voice cracked.

“Remember when I told you about my fortune? The old gypshy had more to shay. She told me that the day a monumental lie is revealed, my fate would be tied in an undoable knot.” McCutchen said. Tag opened his mouth to speak but McCutchen continued. “I realised… that when Tag told me the thruth about Halley… that my time wash fasht approaching. It only sheemsh fitting that I die in the throne room of Canterlot Cashtle after trying to avoid it for sho long.”

“You aren’t going to die! You can’t die!” Brook pleaded. Tag thought for some sort of solution.

Can’t you heal him? Tag asked Book.

I can certainly try, but… there’s so much damage. I don’t think the small amount of energy I have left will be enough to do much of anything… Book trailed off somberly.

We have to try. Tag thought, he felt Tagia’s teeth dig out and the band dropped to the floor with a clang.

“Stand back, I’m going to try something.” Tag picked up the band with has magic and placed it around McCutchen’s neck. Brook looked at him questioningly; Pilot noticed the three circular holes on Tag’s hoof where the band had been sitting. McCutchen winced when he felt the teeth dig into his neck.

“What are you doing to him?” Brook demanded.

“Helping.” Tag answered and watched McCutchen closely. McCutchen stared at Tag with shock taking over for some of the pain in his eyes. A faint glow could be seen under Tagia’s band as Book fed the phantasma to him. His cuts began to close up and his breathing seemed to return to normal. The other ponies in the room stood aghast at the miracle, but a sudden flash from under the band made Tag feel something was off. McCutchen cried out.

“It burns!” Tag quickly put a hoof onto Tagia.

What’s happening?! He demanded.

There’s too much damage! Book answered through what sounded like gritted teeth. I can’t feed him that much phantasma!

Well stop then! The light from under the band stopped and it popped off, Tag quickly put it around his hoof and felt the teeth again.

Are you okay? Tag asked.

Fine. Book answered. But McCutchen doesn’t have a lot of time left. Brook and Pilot were looking at Tag for an answer. Unable to speak, he just shook his head. McCutchen chuckled painfully; some of his cuts were starting to reopen.

“Had a feeling that wouldn’t work. Guess time’sh… running out for thish shailor.” A tear from Brook’s face landed on McCutchen’s hoof. “Shing me the shong of battle before… I go.” Brook sniffed painfully; Pilot put a hoof around her shoulder. Both of their voices began to ring out in the familiar song.

“Alter of dawn, bury me in light
Crimson eclipse, blood and body ignite
Lysergic communion, thy cup runneth over

Ascend through the trees as the landscape fades
Disciple of the sun, the red horizon cascades
Burning away the masks meant to hide
Writhing becoming the demon inside

The battle rages for the church of the sun
Victorious, I dethrone the chosen one

Defeated cast the weak to the sea
Perched upon my throne, immortal deity
My kingdom of flames, my servants the stars
A prophecy revealed through all of my scars.”

As their voices faded away, Tag realized that McCutchen’s ragged breathing had stopped.

----

They had no time to bury the body; the four of them just left it there. Nopony said anything as they made their way to the city; hopefully Fiandu had been able to save some of the pirates that had been sent to the city. Tag’s heart sank when he saw Fiandu sitting outside the city walls. When he saw them he stood up; his mouth began to move.

"What happened to captain?" He asked. Nopony said anything.

“… What about the others?” Tag asked. Fiandu shook his head.

They were fighting shadows when I got here. Was too late to save any of them. He said sadly. Pilot smashed the ground with a hoof startling Lop, Brook just looked away.

“I guess that means we’re alone then.” Tag said slowly.

“So what are we going to do?” Lop asked quietly.

“I don’t know about you four, but Tac said that everything I cared about is at the Strait Stronghold; that means that that’s where I’m going.” Tag said looking at the others.

“I’m going with you, if that pony is going to be at this Strait Stronghold… then I want to be there to help bash his head in.” Pilot said punching at the ground. Tag nodded.

“Fine, but we’re leaving now. Brook, Lop, I assume that you’ll want to come too?” He asked. Brook simply nodded.

“You’re going to need help, nopony can do this by themselves. Of course I’ll come.”

I come too. Lots of shadows needs lots of help. Fiandu put in.

“Let’s go then.” Tag said quietly and led them away from Canterlot’s gates.

----

Tor groaned as he heard the door open. The sound of hooves on the hard floor soon followed. Tor looked up to see that Tac was standing on the other side of the bars.

“What do you want?” Tor rasped. Tac smiled gruesomely.

“I’ve come to take you to lord Discord of course. It’s time for your daily meeting of the minds.” Tac used his magic to pick up Tor’s chain and began to drag it out of the room.

----

Discord sat on his throne, watching Tor as Tac dragged him into the room.

“How are you feeling today, a little better I hope.” Discord said with concern in his face. Tor had just enough energy to raise his upper lip in disgust. “I guess not. Oh well. Bring in the next one please.” Discord said motioning to Tac, who bowed respectfully and left the room. Discord snapped his fingers and Tor disappeared only to reappear in his corner.

“I’ve been wondering something recently.” Discord mused. “Is Silver still being a little fly in the back of your head or has he gone quiet?” He was right, Silver hadn’t spoken since yesterday…

Silver?... Are you still there? There was no answer. Tor just looked up at Discord.

“What have you done?” He asked angrily. Discord shrugged and chuckled quietly to himself.

“Nothing, it’s more what you’ve done if anything.” The sound of the door opening could be heard and the sound of hoofsteps. Tac walked into view dragging Rarity into view, her once gleaming coat had turned gray from being uncared for. Rarity herself looked at Discord nervously.

“Hello my dear!” Discord said cheerfully.

“What do you want?” Rarity asked quickly. Discord looked at her for a moment.

“Is something wrong my dear?”

“Obviously if all this is any indication then there is something very wrong in Equestria.”

“I think that you’ll find there is nothing WRONG with Equestria.” Discord said. “It’s that there is something right with it.” His eyes began to swirl around and Tor felt himself slipping away.

----

Rarity stood with everypony’s eyes on her, Fancypants and her friends were each looking at her curiously, waiting for an answer.

“Well, Miss Rarity? Do you know these ponies?” Fancypants asked, Rarity continued to struggle for an answer, biting her lower lip. With a resolute sigh she turned around dramatically.

“Yes, I know them.” She said quietly. “They may not be as sophisticated as you Conterlot ponies but they’re important to me.”

“Important ponies? Don’t make me laugh!” Laughed. a posh pony behind Rarity. All the other ponies in the garden started laughing with him. Fancypants opened his mouth to say something, but a gray flash wen through his eyes and he closed his mouth. Grey flashed in Rarity’s friends’ eyes, Twilight walked over to Rarity with a hurt look.

“How could you lie to me? You said that Opal was sick and you had to stay in Canterlot, but we come here and find that you lied to us so that you could go to this… party? I… I never want to see you again!” She finished and began to run in the direction of the exit. Rarity’s other friends watched her for a minute before following Twilight.

----

Rarity sat in the castle suite, the others having left for Ponyville long ago. The sky outside was still dark, the only light came from Luna’s moon that caused large shadows to droop all over the room.

“Rejected…” Rarity whispered. “By Fancypants and I’ve hurt my friends.” She picked up her hoof and studied it, all the work she put into making herself look nice and now nopony wanted to even talk to her. Opal nudged Rarity’s hoof sensing her owner’s distress. Rarity quietly pet Opal and looked at her. “At least you won’t abandon me.” She whispered. “I suppose it’s my fault anyway, I should’ve told the truth, or at least picked. I wouldn’t have looked so bad then.” A tear ran down her cheek at the disappointment she felt from her friends, and the rejection of her apology. She had tried; they wouldn’t take her back. “Can I even go to Ponyville after this? Where will I go? Will I have to live in exile?” She asked suddenly standing up. She picked out a single suitcase from the pile the bellcolt had brought up and began to pick several articles of clothing. When she had finished stuffing several outfits inside she picked up a quill and parchment, she began to scribble down a note.

“To whoever finds this note, I am leaving and probably will never be back. I don’t know where I am going, and thus cannot take my dear friend Opal with me. I must ask a favour of you, and that is that you look her. Tell whoever asks of my location that I have left and may never come back.
Signed, Rarity”

Rarity rolled up the paper and stuck it under Opal’s collar. With a final look back into the room, she ran out into the night carrying the bag behind her.


----

Tor felt the painful rebound of his mind snapping back into his head and shook it. Looking around he could see Rarity sitting with a devastated look on her face. She wasn’t looking at anything in particular but Tor could feel emotional pain radiating from her. Discord snapped his fingers and she disappeared in a poof of smoke. He stepped over to Tor to begin their next ‘lesson’.

“Rejection, pours over you like a waterfall dousing you in the feeling. Ponies, our Rarity being an amazing example, really don’t react well to this emotion. Careful examination has revealed that rejection can cause a lot of problems especially around ponies that are familiar with each other. Unfortunately there isn’t even that much to say on the subject, and so we move onto the final carrier of the Elements of Harmony.” His voice turned bitter as he spoke those last words, but then his lips curled into a disturbing smile and his eyes filled with a black fire. “Bring her in.” He whispered quietly.

The door was pushed open forcefully and Tac strode into the room carrying a chain with his magic, Dumo was still strapped to his back. Twilight walked into the room anxiously behind him. She looked around; perhaps a small hope of seeing her friends still remained. Tac stopped right in front of Discord and kneeled respectfully; Twilight stopped behind him and looked up at Discord with a mixture of fear and confusion on her face.

“What do you want?” She asked timidly. Discord’s face became surprisingly soft for a second and he padded over to her softly.

“Oh my dear little Twilight, is something wrong?” He asked condescendingly. Twilight expression turned to one of frustration.

“Is something wro-“ Discord put a claw over her lips and her mouth zipped shut.

“No anger, only dreams.” He whispered. Twilights eye seemed to become heavy and she lowered to the floor as if taking a nap. Tor began to feel himself pull towards her.

----

Twilight was in the library; she was surrounded by books floating all around her. Despite not being able to read any of the books she seemed to absorb their knowledge.

“Twilight? Are you there?” She could hear Princess Celestia calling to her but continued to absorb the knowledge hoping for a few more moments. “Twilight!” Celestia called, this time louder. Twilight still didn’t answer; just a little longer. She felt a hoof prod her shoulder; Twilight’s concentration dissipated and the books around her fell to the floor with a series of dull thuds. Turning around Twilight could see Princess Celestia standing with a stern look on her face.

“Sorry Princess, I guess I got a little carried away.” She whispered sheepishly. Celestia looked at the pile of books surrounding Twilight and nodded.

“I can see that. Please try to keep the mess under control in the future though. Now clean up this little disaster and come along, it’s time that you learned some new spells.” Celestia said with a wink and walked away, presumably to their little training room. Twilight looked at the piles of books around her and sighed.

“Maybe I should keep it to a minimum…” She trailed off and began to levitate the books off the floor.

----

Celestia was waiting for her in the training room; she sat on a little cushion, presumably brought by a servant, patiently. She stood up when she saw her student and motioned her to the centre of the room.

“I do believe it’s time that you learned some of the more complicated spells. You’ve been my protégé for long enough and I have faith that you can perform accordingly.” She said with a hint of pride in her voice. Twilight nodded, barely unable to keep her excitement from creeping into her eyes.

“I’m ready.” She said. Celestia nodded.

“Good, keep in mind that if at any time you feel that you are unprepared for any of this tell me and we shall step down for a break.” Twilight had to fight the urge to break out smiling, there hadn’t been a single spell that she had had trouble with so far.

“I’m ready.” Twilight said again.

“Let’s get started then. The first spell that I’ll teach you is one that very few know how to do, it’s called tagging shadows.”

“What does that do?” Twilight interrupted. Celestia paused for a moment and looked at Twilight. “Sorry.”

“Tagging shadows is one form of an invisibility spell. It’s working sound simple but is quite easier said than done. There are some that are apt at these spells but other unicorns find it hard. The way it works is that the user pushes away the light that’s around them, rendering invisible.”

“You’re right, that doesn’t too hard.” Twilight commented. Celestia held up a hoof.

“The reason that it’s so hard is that it includes the manipulation of light. Such a task is not easy for even the strongest of magic users. Only I am able to do so with ease. Allow me to demonstrate.” Celestia closed her eyes for a second and her horn lit up; she shimmered and vanished. Twilight’s eyes widened as Celestia reappeared in front of her. “Just focus on the light around you, and force it away with your magic.”

Twilight closed her eyes for a second and felt the light around her, felt it rubbing against her fur and skin. She conjured a skin-tight magic barrier and began to push it outward; the light felt surprisingly heavy and she pushed harder to get it away from her. Beads of sweat began to form on her forehead as she continued to push harder and harder until she faltered for a second. The barrier weakened and the light rushed through hitting her body with a powerful force from all sides. Twilight breathed in heavily as she felt the pain all over her body and fell to the ground. Celestia was by her side in an instant, lifting her up with magic and putting her down on the cushion.

“Are you alright?” She asked worriedly. She felt all over Twilight’s body, no signs of serious injury.

“I’m fine.” Twilight whispered through closed lips. “Just a little winded.” Celestia shook her head.

“I should have figured it was too early for this spell. Forgive me Twilight but I think we should stop for today. You should go and lay down for a while to give your body time to recover.” Twilight got to her hooves shakily.

“Maybe you’re right. I think I’ll go take a nap.” She, said reluctantly, stumbled and nearly fell down but Celestia caught her with magic and picked her up.

“Allow me to… carry you there.” Celestia said with a slight smile.

----

Twilight tossed and turned in her bed unable to sleep.

I couldn’t do it. She was so disappointed in me. She cried mentally. I don’t deserve to be her student. She flipped in the bed, flinching as she lay on a sore hoof. No! How could I have messed that up? She continued to shuffle around her bed asking the same question over and over again.

----

Tor was in his own body again, lying in the bottom of his bubble. He didn’t even bother to move anymore. From his vantage point he cold see Twilight looking down at the ground in shame. Grayness crept up from the ground until it enveloped her body and mind. Discord smiled triumphantly and began to laugh maniacally.

“YES!” He shouted at the top of his lungs. Twilight didn’t seem to notice. Discord snapped his fingers and Twilight disappeared in a flash. Discord jumped over to Tor. “Miss me?” He asked innocently. Tor didn’t say anything.

“I suppose I should just skip right to our final little lesson?” Discord asked contentedly. Tor still said nothing. “Well then, this emotion was disappointment, not to be confused or even compared to failure though many make the mistake that they are similar. Disappointment sits in the background becoming more and more apparent as time goes by, catching you by surprise sometimes. Like rejection ponies don’t react well to this emotion Twilight being another wonderful example. The feeling hit her like a rock and she struggled to keep herself from it. Not a god strategy. I guess that wraps up the course, an A+ to you for lasting this long but I think it’s time we put knowledge into practice.”

Discord popped the bubble around Tor; he didn’t do anything. Discord then put a claw on Tor’s head. All at once Tor felt the darkness of Applejack’s failure, the burning fire of Rainbow Dash’s fear, the weight of Pinkie’s loneliness, the hot nail of Fluttershy’s loathing, the power of Rarity’s rejection, and the surprise of Twilight’s disappointment. It was too much and Tor felt calming nothingness creeping up behind him.

PreviousChapters Next