• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 1,977 Views, 28 Comments

The Shadows Saga - Tagshadow



A unicorn colt wanders into Ponyville. But what's so special about him?

  • ...
0
 28
 1,977

PreviousChapters Next
Shadows Ch. 20 Captured


“Let’s get some food.” Twilight decided.

“Is there a dining hall? Some sort of formal dinner?” Rarity asked. Twilight put her hoof to her chin.

“I don’t think so, when they’ve declared a state of emergency everypony just gets their own food whenever.” She explained. Rainbow Dash grinned.

“Works for me, let’s go!” She said and galloped down the hallway.

“Rainbow Dash! Waaaaait for meeeeee!” Pinkie called out and started after her. Applejack sighed.

“It’s always a race with that one.” She muttered.

“No point in waiting, Rainbow Dash will have eaten all of the food by the time we get there!” Rarity said and started down the hall followed by the others.

The kitchen door was wide open when Tor and the other got there, they could here Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie eating loudly from outside. Rarity shook her head.

“Why can’t they eat like sophisticated ponies?” She wondered aloud.

“I suspect it’s ‘cause they’re hungry.” Applejack replied and trotted in.

“That was a rhetorical question.” Rarity said and trotted in after her followed by Tor, Twilight and Fluttershy. The kitchen was a mess, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie were throwing dish after dish of food at each other giggling like a bunch of schoolfillies. Spike sat in between them; he appeared to have been eating peacefully until the two rambunctious mares had interrupted him, he just sat with a grim expression on his face. Rarity stood aghast beside the doorway and Applejack was trying hard not to break into laughter. Tor was absolutely speechless.

“Rainbow and Pinkie! What are you DOING?” Twilight cried as she grabbed a plate out of the air with her magic. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie finally noticed the presence of their friends and sat down smiling sheepishly.

“Sorry, guess we kind of got carried away…” Rainbow Dash trailed off.

“Carried away? With what?” Rarity asked examining the mess they had made.

“I told Pinkie I could catch a piece of celery in my mouth if she tossed it at me, she managed to hit my head… things I guess kind off escalated.” Rainbow said with an embarrassed look on her face. Twilight sighed and put the plate down.

“Well now you two have to clean it up.” She said. Rainbow Dash nodded and slowly set to the task. Pinkie was still for absolutely one second, one second and then she turned into a pink whirlwind that moved around the kitchen cleaning everything instantly. When she had finished everypony in the room was staring at her with a shocked look on their faces.

“Wow…” Fluttershy murmured. Pinkie looked at them curiously.

“What? That’s how I clean the SugarCube Corner!” She said and started towards the fridge. Nopony said anything.

“Pinkie Pie you are so random!” Rainbow Dash said bursting into laughter. Tor trotted up to Pinkie and looked into the fridge beside her.

“Is there anything good left?” He asked. Pinkie shook her head.

“Nothing instant but they’ have a HUGE assortment of tasty flowers!” She said pulling out a bag of roses. Tor sighed and looked through the cupboards.

“I suppose a sandwich will do.” He muttered as he opened another cabinet. Applejack trotted over to the fridge and pulled out several apples.

“Ah think Ah’ll have some of the good stuff” She said and sat at the table beside Spike. Tor found the bread and began to cut himself some.

“Tor do you think you could cut me some to?” Twilight asked and Tor nodded.

“Oh… um…. me too please.” Fluttershy said and Tor nodded again.

“Do you want any Rarity?” Tor asked.

“No, but thank you for offering.” She said. “I have already eaten.” She sat down beside Applejack. Spike stood up and started to leave.

“I’m going to bed.” He said simply and opened the door.

“Spike? What’s wrong?” Twilight asked worriedly. Spike looked at her and started into the hall.

“It’s nothing Twilight.” He said but Twilight pulled him back into the kitchen with her magic.

“I doubt it’s nothing. Why won’t you tell us what’s wrong?” She asked. “We just want to help with whatever it is!” She begged him. His eyes filled with tears.

“Just ask Rarity.” He said quietly and ran out of the room. All eyes turned to Rarity, except for Tor he knew what was coming and didn’t want any part of it.

“I’m going after Spike.” He muttered and limped hurriedly out of the room. He turned the corner.

----

…Why did you abandon Rarity like that? Silver asked gently. Tor shook his head.

I have a feeling that this is a conversation that I have no part in; they’ve been friends for so long and I’ve been here for several days. I feel like I would be intruding. Tor explained as he rounded another corner.

…Still… it’s not good to leave a pony like that. Silver said. Tor felt could feel himself losing the argument, he tripped over his hooves and cried out in pain. Are you alright? Silver asked anxiously. Tor tried to stand up but fell back down.

Celestia condemn it. I’ve fallen and I can’t get up! He cried mentally.

This can’t be good… Silver trailed. There might not be another pony this way for a while.

What am I supposed to do then? Tor asked worriedly.

Waiting would be the best option, try not to move. Tor shifted himself so that he could lean against the wall.

This is not a good time for me to be waiting. Tor sighed. Waiting just doesn’t sit right. But he waited, waited for all of ten seconds.

“Rarity! Rarity where are you?!” Called a voice. Tor’s ears perked up.

“Rainbow Dash? Over here!” Ha called. Rainbow Dash came into view around the corner, when she saw him she hurried over.

“What happened?” She asked examining him. Tor shifted slightly.

“I hurt myself going after Spike. What happened to Rarity?” He asked.

“After you left in such a hurry Rarity attempted to explain something, she couldn’t finish before she ran out of the room but it sounded like Spike apparently has a crush on her. He confronted her about Tag… I think.” She said. “We had to split up so we could find her.” She helped him get to his hooves but he let out a cry of pain and fell, she caught him and let him lean on her. “Slow down, you’re not going anywhere quickly.” She said and shifted as Tor leaned heavily on to her side. Tor let out a pained breath.

“Sorry for being such a pain.” Tor muttered.

“Don’t sweat it. We’ll just take it slow. We’ll go to your room, you could probably use the rest to help with that injury.” Rainbow Dash pointed out and started in the direction she had come walking slowly so that Tor didn’t fall down. As she rounded the corner she stopped.

“Was this hallway always this dark?” Tor asked anxiously. Rainbow Dash looked into the darkness with a confident look on her face.

“Its just darkness. We’re in Canterlot castle, what could possibly happen?” She asked, Tor could detect a hint of unease in her voice.

“We’ll have to go extra slow though.” Tor said. Rainbow Dash took a slow step forward and Tor matched it. They advanced slowly into the consuming darkness.

----

Fluttershy looked around the corner, she had always hated being alone in strange places, but she had to be strong; she had to find Rarity. Fluttershy flew around the corner. Suddenly she heard what sounded like a pony crying, she flew down the hallways following the painful sound until she stood in front of a door; she was positive the crying pony was on the other side. She knocked lightly.

“Hello? Rarity? Anypony?” She whispered through the lock but nopony answered. Fluttershy knocked again, this time slightly harder. “Hello?” She asked louder. The door opened a crack and Fluttershy looked through it and into a very dark room. She felt something was off and started to back away slowly. Not a moment later the door burst open making Fluttershy fall over like a startled lamb. The figure stood over her looking into her petrified eyes.

“I hadn’t thought it would be so easy.” He thought out loud letting out a small chuckle.

----

Pinkie hopped merrily down the hallways not paying any attention to where she was going; she was off to find Rarity and she was going to do it Pinkie Pie style. She rounded another corner and bumped right into Applejack who sat down hard. Pinkie helped her to her hooves.

“Hiya Applejack! You find Rarity yet?” She asked. Applejack was looking around nervously. Pinkie poked her shoulder causing her to jump.

“Ah! … Sorry Pinkie, mah minds on other things right now.” She said casting a questioning glance behind Pinkie. “Have ya seen any of the others?” She asked. Pinkie shook her head vigorously.

“Nope! I’m still looking for Rarity.” She replied. Applejack stopped her.

“Listen here Pinkie, Ah think something’s goin on here.” She whispered causing Pinkie to give her a questioning look.

“Of course something’s going on! We’re looking for Rarity because she ran off all sad and stuff!” She said happily starting to bounce down the corridor Applejack galloped up to her and stopped her again.

“Pinkie! Listen to me! I think that there’s a darker force makin a move here!” She hissed. Pinkie looked at her curiously.

“What do you mean?” She asked inquisitively. Applejack glared at her.

“What ah mean to say is that we should stick together!” She said. Pinkie smiled.

“You could have just asked you know. Come on then, this way!” She said and started bouncing again. Applejack looked after her; she eventually started follow Pinkie around the corner. Pinkie didn’t see Applejack smiling sinisterly to herself as they turned another corner.

----

Twilight stepped out of Rarity’s room and sighed.

“We’re never going to find her like this.” She said to herself. She stepped down the hallway with a contemplative look on her face. “I should probably ask Tac for help.” She thought aloud. Then she heard somepony cry out. “That sounded like Pinkie!” She exclaimed and started to gallop in the direction of the sound. She rounded corner after corner until she heard it again, this time in the other direction. She stopped and turned around panting slightly. “Darn it Pinkie! Stay still!” She said to herself and started galloping again. As she turned the corner she ran right into a solid wall of darkness, she sat down hard and looked at it while rubbing her nose.

“How is this possible?” She asked herself as she stood up; she poked at with her hoof. It responded by wrapping grabbing her, Twilight pulled her hoof back but couldn’t wrench it from the darkness’s grasp. The darkness continued to swirl farther up her arm constricting her skin. Twilight tried to cry out but the darkness covered her face, filling her mouth with the taste of iniquity.

----

Applejack could tell something was off; the sounds of her friend’s distant cries had put her on edge. She hardly dared to move a hoofstep but eventually her curiosity got the better of her. She stepped forward, nothing happened.

“Ah can do this.” She said to herself quietly. “Ah have to do this.” She added. Applejack wasn’t usually scared but something about the distant cries and the deathly silence that followed gave her chills that went from her mane to the tip of her tail. She took another step forward. The passageway dimmed causing Applejack to step back.

“That ain’t natural.” She muttered to herself and turned around. “Ah think ah’ll go this way.” She stepped in the opposite direction. She could feel a breeze on her haunches. Applejack whirled around and saw that the darkness had followed her. Applejack turned back around started galloping; the darkness kept pace lapping at her hind legs. Applejack put on an extra burst of speed trying desperately to get away. That was when the darkness caught her left hind leg causing her to go headlong onto the carpet. She didn’t have time to react as the darkness slid over her blackening her vision.

----

Rarity stopped running. She didn’t even know why she had been running; she hadn’t done anything wrong.

Except hurt Spike’s feelings… said a voice in her head. Rarity sat with her back to the wall, huffing from the run. Spike… She trailed off. She had felt horrible before, but after being confronted by her friends she felt even worse. She closed her eyes. What would she say to Spike? What would she say to her friends? What would she say to Tag? What if they couldn’t save him? Rarity’s mind was filled with doubts, questions, and fear. She feared for her life, for her friends’ lives, for the Princesses’ lives. Now is not the time to doubt yourself Rarity, you must be confident, being doubtful won’t bring back Tag, it won’t get you anywhere. A determined look appeared on her face. Yes, I shall go back and apologize to Spike and my friends, and then we can work on saving Tag. She opened her eyes and saw nothing but black.

----

Spike sniffed, he felt horrible, and he had been feeling horrible all day. He remembered when he had sat on a green hill outside of Ponyville holding a flower in his claw. She loves me, she doesn’t. He thought to himself angrily. Yeah right. He jumped off of his bed and started for the door. I’ll go back to Ponyville and they can tell me all about it when they get back. He thought and threw open the door. Rarity stood right in front of him He startled and looked into her red eyes. Her makeup was a mess; her mane was sticking out in several directions.

“What do you want?” Spike muttered turning back. Rarity watched him with hurt eyes.

“I-I-I j-just wanted t-to apologize.” She sniffled. Spike’s expression softened slightly but he shook his head.

“You’re a little late for that.” He said darkly. Rarity broke then, she ran away from his door crying loudly. Spike stood still for a moment before stomping his foot in rage.

“Darn it Spike! What is WRONG with you?!” He cried loudly and started to run after her. He hadn’t wanted to hurt her so horribly, and she was trying to apologize. Why did he have to go and mess things up?

Spike rounded the corner and bumped right into Rarity. He fell onto his back with his eyes closed. He felt something on his mouth; he opened his eyes and saw Rarity giving a malevolent smile. Spike gulped as he felt her pick him up.

Bad touch bad touch bad touch bad-

----

“Tor?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yeah?” Tor asked wincing as he limped on awkwardly.

“Just making sure you’re still there, I can’t see my own hoof in front of my face.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Can’t you feel me leaning on you?” He asked.

“I know but… I’m starting to get the feeling that something’s wrong.” She said uncomfortably and shifted slightly so Tor wouldn’t fall off. Tor grimaced as another wave of pain shot through him.

“I’ve had that feeling ever since we took the first step.” He said through gritted teeth.

How are you feeling? Silver asked.

I should probably be asking you the same question. Tor answered.

After having all that time I will say that I feel a bit better. I’m worried about you though. Silver said.

I’ll survive. I hope. I have to. Tor thought grimly.

“Tor?” Rainbow Dash asked hesitantly.

“Ah… What?”

“…Hang in there. We’re gonna get there soon.” She said.

“…Thanks.” He whispered. There was a small spark of light up ahead; it vanished as quickly as it had appeared.

“Did you see that?” Rainbow Dash hissed.

“Yeah…” Tor said. “I don’t think it wants to help us though.” He added grimly.

“What should we do?” She asked.

“Keep going.” Tor said. Rainbow Dash hesitated but quickly regained her confidence.

“Right, let’s do this.” She said and continued forward. Tor tried to keep pace but he was starting to slow down even more.

“Listen Rainbow Dash.” He said. “I don’t think I have the energy to keep going. You need to find the others; make sure that they’re safe.” He said. The spark of light reappeared, this time closer. Tor could see a tinge of fear in Rainbow Dash’s face before the light disappeared again.

“But-“ Tor felt what was about to happen. He pushed Rainbow Dash to the ground just as the spark whizzed past at an incredible speed.

“Now! Go!” Tor said he pushed Rainbow Dash to her hooves and drew Torais; he aimed down the hall and conjured an arrow. He was relieved to see it emitting a faint light. He fired and Rainbow Dash took off like a bolt following the new source of light to the end of the hall and around the corner. Tor put his head down; he was almost spent.

Good luck… He closed his eyes slowly and waited.

----

Rainbow Dash turned the corner into a lit corridor, without stopping she sped to the end and around the next corner. She didn’t want to leave Tor behind but he hadn’t given her a choice. A single tear was swept away by the wind that followed her around the next corner. She stopped outside the throne room; Luna would be there. She threw the doors open and jumped inside bucking them shut behind her. She looked up and saw that the throne was empty.

Oh no… She thought despairingly. She turned around and threw open the door and continued flying down the hall. She had to get outside; nopony could catch her outside. She turned another corner and saw the balcony door at the end of the hallway. She pushed harder fear giving her the extra speed she needed. She burst through the door and out into the pitch-black night sky.

PreviousChapters Next