• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 1,977 Views, 28 Comments

The Shadows Saga - Tagshadow



A unicorn colt wanders into Ponyville. But what's so special about him?

  • ...
0
 28
 1,977

PreviousChapters Next
The Third Sister Ch. 1 Family of Lies

(it is done, exams sucked like no other but it's over. I'm back for the summer and going nowhere. Anyway things is happening and stuff so have fun. -Tag)

Tag looked down at the plate in front of him; then he looked up at the mare across the table from him.

“That was a wonderful meal.” Tag said.

“It was certainly enjoyable.” Rarity agreed. Tag felt content. He and Rarity had been sitting there for a long time talking the evening away. Although he felt that it was nearly time for their second date to come to a close. He saw Silver Platter assisting another customer and raised his hoof to get her attention. She noticed him and trotted over to their table.

“I trust that everything was okay?” She asked happily.

“As I remember it being. Could I have the check please?” Tag asked. Silver Platter nodded and trotted away. Tag looked back to Rarity.

“I’m glad that Mr. Hay allowed you back into the restaurant.” Rarity sighed happily. “It was rather uncouth to just ask us to leave like he did.” Silver Platter trotted back and placed the bill on the table.

“Well it was understandable given the circumstances, but I did miss this place.” Tag concurred as he placed the appropriate amount of bits on the table. He stood up and started toward the door with Rarity beside him.

“Feel free to come back anytime!” Silver Platter called after them. Tag waved his tail in acknowledgment and held the door open for Rarity. He followed her out into the street.

“I do believe it is mannerly for me to walk you home?” Tag asked as he looked past Rarity down the dark street.

“My, aren’t you being the gentlecolt tonight?” She asked smiling slightly. Tag smiled and gave her a confident wink.

“It’s the only thing I would do.” He said and walked down the street to the Carousel Boutique.

----

“Thank you for the wonderful evening out.” Rarity said sweetly standing in the doorway to her home. Tag smiled once again.

“Thank you for believing.” He whispered. Rarity closed the door and Tag was alone… almost.

A lot better than your last attempt. Open Book observed. Tag started back towards That Street.

I have become a better stallion since that last attempt. Tag said. Many things have changed since our first date.

Very true. Book agreed. Don’t let that get to your head. This one may have gone well but that doesn’t mean your set for life. Tag opened the door of his house.

Book, I have confidence that I have rid myself of flaws. Tag thought as he started up the stairs.

Getting a little big for your band there. Book commented. Tag looked down at the band around his arm; Tagia was still securely fastened to it.

Sorry. Tag thought sheepishly. It’s just that everything’s been going well since I got back from Phoenix. Tag looked at his bed.

Let’s try to forget about Phoenix. Discord is still at large. Book warned. Tag stopped.

Why did you bring that up? He wondered.

Because Discord’s Chaos has been silent. It doesn’t bode well with me. Book said cryptically.

Book stop that, we have to focus on the good things in life. Yes Discord has gone quiet but all we can do is wait for the princess to call. Tag thought as he got into bed. Now good night.

----

Tag woke up happily that day. He trotted downstairs and into the kitchen where Tor was eating breakfast.

“Good morning brother!” Tag said cheerfully as he prepared breakfast for himself. Tor raised an eyebrow.

“I take it that everything went well last night?” He asked casually. Tag nodded through a mouthful of celery.

“Of course it did.” He said. Tor sat down in front of him.

“Anything you want to share?”

“Why are you so interested?” Tag wondered. Tor smiled in spite of himself.

“It’s so boring around her with nothing to do and I don’t get back to work until tomorrow.” He sighed.

“Well don’t let my love life concern you.” Tag assured him. “I’ve got it under control. Now I’ve got to get going if I’m going to get to work on time.” He said quickly and trotted out the door.

----

Tag opened the door to the Carousel Boutique and trotted in.

“Good morning Rarity!” He called out. Rarity was standing behind the register and smiled slightly when she saw him.

“Good morning. I left today’s orders in the other room.” She said and motioned toward the staircase. Tag nodded and started up them. He looked into Rarity’s inspiration room; it was a mess as it always was. Her sewing machine was set up in the corner and the orders were in other room.

“Let’s get to work.” Tag said to himself and started.

The day had gone by unnoticed by Tag as he worked silently on each ripped or torn article of clothing. He hadn’t felt the time go by until Rarity called up to him.

“Tag! Twilight is here to see us!” She called. Tag stood up after quickly finished his current order.

“Coming!” He called back and trotted down the stairs. Twilight was standing in the middle of the boutique with a concerned look on her face. Her mane was slightly ruffled and she looked like she had been running. She seemed to calm down slightly when she saw him.

“Meeting in the library. Right now, we got a letter from the princess.” Suddenly the room was filled was seriousness.

“We’ll go right away.” Rarity declared. Twilight nodded.

“I have to get Tor, you guys head to the library.” Tag nodded. He followed Twilight out into the street with Rarity behind him; she put a closed sign on the door and set off for the library. Both ponies walked in silence.

What do you think this is about? Tag wondered. Book didn’t answer immediately.

I think that Discord is finally making his presence known. Book said darkly. He is making us aware that he is back. Tag shuddered slightly.

But what do you think he’s doing? He asked.

I couldn’t possibly know; Discord is the god of chaos and disharmony. He is the only one who knows what he is going to do. Tag felt the sunlight dim slightly and looked up at the sky quickly; a single cloud had moved to block out the sun. Soon, a weather pegasus moved it out of the way but the ominous symbol had not been unnoticed.

“That is not a good sign.” Rarity fretted. Tag nodded in agreement.

“I have a feeling that the letter is not a friendly hello.”

----

Rarity and Tag stepped into the library and saw that they were the last to arrive. Rainbow Dash was fluttering around anxiously while Fluttershy sat in the corner with a worried look on her face. Applejack sat at the foot of the stairs and appeared to be in deep concentration while Pinkie bounced around Spike who was standing beside Applejack with a scroll in his hands. Twilight and Tor must have just gotten there.

“Good we’re all here.” Twilight said grimly. “Spike read the letter please.” All ponies in the room stood around Spike as he unraveled the letter and began to speak.

“Dear Twilight Sparkle,
I hope this letter finds you in good health. It is important that you and your friends are well and ready to fend off Discord should it come to that. Our researchers have found some evidence that give us an idea of Discord’s location and I require your and Tag’s presence here in Canterlot as soon as possible. Just you and Tag, your friends must stay behind. A carriage should have arrived by the time you read this letter.
See you soon, Princess Celestia”

There was silence in the room.

“Why would she ask for just Tag and Twilight?” Fluttershy asked quietly.

“It must be super top secret!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“But still, shouldn’t we all know what’s happening? We are all the Elements of Harmony after all.” Rainbow Dash wondered.

“Ah don’t exactly get it either but we should trust Celestia’s decision.” Applejack explained. “She would know.”

“She said that a carriage would be here…” Tor trailed off; he looked towards the door and sure enough the sounds of a carriage were heard.

“I’m just as surprised that she would only ask for Tag and I but I’ll try to tell you guys the whole story when we get back.” Twilight said and made for the door. “Come on Tag.”

“I guess I’ll see everypony tonight then.” He called and followed Twilight outside. The carriage was right outside the library and two royal guards stood waiting. Twilight stepped into the carriage wordlessly and Tag followed. He closed the door behind them and the guards took off leaving Ponyville behind them.

----

Tag sat in the dark atmosphere that pervaded the entire carriage; Twilight said nothing but sat looking down at her hooves with a disturbed look on her face. Tag fought for words but he found that he couldn’t think of anything; the sudden change from his once peaceful time was startling. Twilight seemed to notice his unease and spoke up.

“Don’t worry Tag, I’m sure she’s just updating us on the Discord issue.” She said in a vain attempt to be reassuring. Tag sighed and looked out the window at the rolling countryside below them.

“I’m not worried about what she’s going to tell us I’m more afraid of what she isn’t…” Silence followed. Tag could tell that he had surprised Twilight and it was a small while before she said anything.

“Why would you think she would hide something for us?” She asked hesitantly.

“Because if you remember back when she released me from Discord’s control, she lied about how Discord got the bodies. I suddenly find it hard to believe her. I suppose I’m just afraid of going back to Canterlot.” He said sighing heavily. He didn’t like to think about what had happened in the castle but visiting the Princess made it so he had to. Tag sunk into his side of the carriage trying to make himself smaller; the memories from the nightmare still haunted him occasionally but he pushed the thoughts away. “Why do you trust her so willingly?” Tag asked looking directly at Twilight. He had once again surprised her and looked away while she gathered her thoughts.

“I trust that the Princess will tell us everything because she has to; me and my friends are the Elements of Harmony, you and Tor posses quite possibly the only weapons that could permanently put an end to Discord. If she keeps us in the dark about anything then that ruins our combat effectiveness.” She explained. Tag nodded his head in agreement.

“True, it wouldn’t make sense, but she still didn’t tell me about Open Book and Silver. That didn’t help at all. You’re her student; how do you know that she’s telling the truth?” Twilight looked at him with a startled look on her face. “Perhaps I’m not phrasing this right, why do you know what she’s telling us is the entire story?” Twilight went back to looking at her hooves and Tag shifted uncomfortably.

I doubt this is helping much of anything. Book said. When you ask questions like this you scare ponies. Tag’s eyebrow furrowed.

I know, I’m just wondering what could have happened. Did they find where Discord’s statue disappeared to? Is there something else they found about Tor and me? I suppose I’m just slightly worried about the state of affairs in Equestria… Tag exhaled lightly.

I’m well aware of that but having doubts about yourself or the path you’re on isn’t going to help. You have to face your problems head on without looking ba-

“I trust Celestia because of something she told me a long time ago.” Twilight interrupted. Tag started; he hadn’t seen her open her mouth. He watched her curiously. “Long ago, back when I had just become Celestia’s student, it was my first night at the castle. I was terrified of being in the spacious room in the dark and Spike had been newly hatched that day; I felt totally and utterly alone.” Twilight shivered as she said the last words.

“What happened?” Tag wondered. Twilight gulped and shivered slightly.

“I could feel the burn of many eyes… but when I shone my horn nothing was there; I was afraid of things that didn’t exist yet they felt so real. So I finally got up the nerve to get out of bed and find somepony who could do something… anything to remove the feeling of all those… eyes…” Tag put his hoof up.

“Twilight please don’t tell me about it if it’s painful to talk about.” He told her but she shook her head.

“I have long gotten over that fear.” She said and a braver expression appeared on her face. “I wondered the halls for a long time looking for anypony but the doors were all locked and nopony answered when I knocked. I inevitably became lost and couldn’t find my way back to my own room so I sat to the side of one hall and cried. I cried for my parents, I cried for my brother, and I cried for Celestia. Then she answered me. The hall lit up and I saw her trotting to me cutting the darkness away with her shining horn. She sat beside me and hushed me.” Twilight’s eyes became distant, as she was lost in the memory. “I told her why I was crying and she told me a secret; when she was little she was afraid of the dark too! I couldn’t believe it! And she told me that when she was scared she would wish for the sun to rise and it did. The sun would always chase away the darkness and bring safety to those in need. I stood up and hugged her. She hugged me back and said to me: ‘I will always be here for you Twilight; you’re never alone as long as you have friends. I would never lie or do anything that would harm you. So there is no need to fear the shadows because your Princess will keep you safe.’” The only sound became the occasional clatter of the carriage as they hit some turbulence. Tag felt a deep unease within himself.

…Fear the shadows? He wondered slowly. Twilight realized herself and her eyes focused again.

“Sorry, must have zoned out. Anyway I wanted to try my best to make the Princess proud and soon I had lost the entire message; friendship will get you through the worst of things.” She finished finally.

“I see why you put so much trust in her readily.” Tag said, impressed. Twilight blushed slightly.

“I’m sure most ponies have a similar story from their foalhood.” She mumbled.

Fat chance! Book exclaimed. I doubt every pony was the personal student of Celestia herself! The Princesses didn’t even have students back when I was around. Tag was silent for a moment.

Wasn’t there a war going on when you were around? He wondered. Book didn’t say anything. The carriage jumped slightly then hit the ground; they had arrived at Canterlot castle. The door to the carriage opened and a royal guard poked his head in.

“We have arrived.” He announced and pulled his head out. Tag shifted so Twilight could get out and then got out himself. He stretched his legs in the castle courtyard then looked around; the sky was a light gray and Tag could feel rain in his fur.

“It’s certainly humid out.” He observed as he trotted to the castle entrance with Twilight.

“Strange, I don’t remember Rainbow Dash saying anything about cloudy weather or rain…” She muttered to herself as Tag followed her into the hauntingly familiar hallway. Tag looked around quickly and suppressed another shiver.

I really don’t like this place. He thought to himself.

I don’t think you have much of a choice, the palace was considered the safest place back during the Chaos War and I’m sure the same applies now. Book said. Tag looked at the walls and closed his eyes tightly; he could hear Rarity snapping the riding crop at him again. That was unpleasant. Book said uneasily. Tag shook his head vigorously, causing Twilight to look at him.

“Are you alright Tag?” She asked. Tag cleared his vision slightly and looked straight into her eyes.

“Bad memories.” He said simply. Twilight cringed under his gaze.

“It hadn’t occurred to me that this might bring that up again.” She said empathetically. Tag closed his eyes slowly and cleared his mind quickly; he pushed the bad thoughts toward the back of his mind.

Hey! I don’t want these! Book protested from the back of his head but Tag didn’t pay any attention. He could see a unicorn standing a little ways down the hall; Twilight had noticed him too.

“Is that Tome down there?” Twilight asked squinting to get a better look. Tag looked closer, it was Tome, and he was waving to them.

“Let’s go.” Tag said to Twilight and sped up down the hall, he didn’t look anywhere; just in front of him. Tome seemed to have grown older since Tag had last seen him. his mane had a streak of white through it contrasting with the light green that coloured the rest of his body. More wrinkles had appeared below his eyes and his eyes were slightly red. Tome looked like he hadn’t slept at all since Tag had left with his friends. Twilight gasped as she drew closer beside Tag, she rushed over to Tome and examined him quickly.

“Tome! What have you done to yourself?” She cried. Tome cringed as she yelled in his ear.

“Things have been hectic over the past few days.” he sighed wearily. “But I am glad that you were able to come so quickly, and on such short notice.” A weak smile crept onto his face but it quickly disappeared. Tag felt a twinge of anxiety.

“Has anything bad happened?” Tag asked worriedly. Tome shook his head slowly.

“Not exactly, the only thing bad is the amount of ponypower we don’t have; our researchers and specialists are working around the clock trying to pinpoint the location of Discord’s Chaos. And our guard has lessened due to the exposure of those working for Discord.” He started trotting down the hall and stumbled; Twilight caught him before he fell, he shot her a grateful look and set out down the hallway again in a slow, ambling pace. Tag followed close behind him in case he fell again.

“Have you made any progress at all?” Twilight asked as they rounded a corner. Tome didn’t answer immediately.

“We have been gathering reports from all the major cities throughout Equestria: Trottingham, Clopton, Manehattan, Fillydelphia and others. After compiling the amounts of irregularities found in those areas we have come to the conclusion that Discord is no longer on the mainland. It is not unreasonable that he has crossed over into one of our neigbouring lands but it is unlikely. Discord acts childishly and is most possible that he is on an island somewhere plotting his revenge against the Royal Family.” Tome explained. He trotted on doggedly while his words sunk in.

Revenge… Tag thought to himself.

That sounds like Discord. Book agreed. And there aren’t that many islands within Equestria’s borders so that should lower the search area. Tag nodded slightly. He glanced at Twilight and realized that she must be coming to the same conclusion.

“What do you think Twilight?” Tag asked from over Tome’s shoulder. Twilight looked at him before responding.

“It all seems legitimate, but I never really studied Discord. But it would make sense that he’s on an island; Equestria’s navy is underdeveloped compared to the lands around us but that comes from having such a small amount of open water in our borders.” She said matter of factly. She looked at Tome. “Have you searched the old base of Discord’s Chaos for any hints?” She asked him.

“We’re sending a team in tomorrow now that the report gathering has been done. We don’t know how long they’ll be in there or how dangerous it is so we’re trying not to take any unnecessary risks.” He panted. He stopped and pushed open a door to his right, the door that led into the throne room.

Princess Celestia sat crookedly on the throne watching Tag and Twilight with tired eyes. When she saw Twilight she perked up and sat straight.

“Twilight it’s good to see you again.” She said and put on a warm smile. Tag glanced at Twilight; she looked alarmed at the Princess’s state.

“Princess Celestia!” She exclaimed. She trotted in front of the throne and bowed deeply, Tag followed, although slower than Twilight. Celestia’s smile grew sheepish then disappeared. She looked worn like Tome but to a much smaller extent.

“Tag, I’m glad that you were able to come as well. We need you here more then ever.” Tag felt a pang of unease go through him.

“...Is there any way that I can be of assistance?” He asked edgily. Celestia motioned towards Tome who bowed respectfully and backed out leaving the three ponies alone. Celestia closed her eyes and breathed in heavily making Tag feel even more uncomfortable than before. She opened her eye and looked right at the two of them; any warmth that had been there had been replaced with cold.

“I’m afraid that I must tell you that I have been keeping another secret. Another secret that cannot leave this room. It is classified and only Luna and I are the only that are still aware of it… with the possible exception of Open Book and Silver.” She let that sink in.

Book? Tag asked cautiously, he was afraid of he might hear.

I have an idea but… let’s just listen. Book mumbled. Celestia beckoned them over to a table at the side of the throne room; there were several old rolled up scrolls on top and three cushioned seats around it. Tag and Twilight each took a seat followed by Celestia, she used her magic to open the scroll on top; on it was a picture of two alicorns chasing each other in a uroboric circle. In the middle of the circle were two more, one was the sun and the other was the moon.

“What is this?” Celestia asked looking at Twilight.

“This is a depiction of you and Luna raising the sun and the moon eternally.” Twilight answered immediately. Celestia smiled briefly.

“Correct.” Celestia praised her. Twilight gave her a strange glance.

“But Celetsia… they teach us that in magic kindergarten. Why are you asking us about this?” Twilight demanded. Celestia hesitated before answering; Tag realized that she really didn’t want to say what she was about to say. Celestia’s mouth hung open but no words came out.

“Celestia…?” Tag asked worriedly. Celestia shook her head slowly.

“It’s a lie.” She said simply.

“A lie? But that’s thousands of years of history, how can it be a lie?” Twilight stammered. Celestia held up a hoof for silence.

“There is another long story that I’m afraid I must tell you.” She said. “So please be ready and understand that what I tell you I don’t say lightly.” She paused for a moment to let it sink in. She put the open scroll aside and picked up the one below it; the parchment had faded to a pale yellow. Celestia unrolled it and placed on the table for Tag and Twilight to see. There was another picture; nearly the exact same except that there was another figure in the background, another alicorn flying across the sky. Twilight looked up at the Princess with a confused look on her face.

“Princess what is this?” She asked looking back down at the paper; she traced her hoof along the figure’s path.

“That is my younger sister, Halley.” Celestia said.

PreviousChapters Next