• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 1,967 Views, 28 Comments

The Shadows Saga - Tagshadow



A unicorn colt wanders into Ponyville. But what's so special about him?

  • ...
0
 28
 1,967

PreviousChapters Next
Shadows Ch. 3 The Carousel Boutique

Rarity led the way too her boutique, the Carousel Boutique. Tag marveled at the complex design, it looked just like it’s namesake; it was a tall building and stood out compared to the other buildings in Ponyville. It was a bright purple and consisted of levels of fake ponies on stands, it really did look like a carousel. Rarity saw him staring.

“Do you like it?” she asked him. Tag shook himself.

“It certainly stands out.” He said. Rarity laughed lightly.

“It has too! How else would I get so many customers?” she exclaimed.

“Because you’re extremely talented and beautiful?” Tag guessed. Rarity’s eyes sparkled at the compliment.

“My, you certainly know the way to a mare’s heart.” She was high on his praise. Tag smiled. “But enough of that, I must show you around! And before I forget, I have a sister who lives with me; her name is Sweetie Belle.” Tag gave a worried face.

“Uh, I’m not great with kids.” He said. Rarity looked at him with reassuring eyes.

“Have no fear, she is extremely mature for her age, and I suspect that the two of you will get along fine.” She said and Tag felt a little better. He was still nervous though.

Rarity opened the door with her magic and led Tag inside. The interior of the boutique was set up very much like a shop; there was counter in clear view along with several mannequins set up displaying lovely dresses. There was a doorway leading into what looked like a kitchen to the right and a staircase leading upstairs to the left.

“As you can see this is where I meet with the clients unless they are having a private fitting, then we would go upstairs so I could take measurements. The kitchen is over there to the right,” she motioned with her horn. “And to the right is the way upstairs.” Rarity led Tag up the stairs.

The upstairs landing was a disaster area; tapes were scattered on the floor among bolts of fabric. Tag took a step forward and cried out. He picked up his hoof and inspected it, there was a needle sticking out of the bottom.

“I take it that this is what fashion designers call organized chaos?” Tag asked and Rarity gasped.

“FINALLLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!!!” She screamed. Tag fell over from the sheer force.

“Calm down!” He cried. “I’ve seen it all the time!” Rarity hugged him, Sweet Celestia! He thought She’s crazy!

“Oh my!” she said and jumped away from him. “Please accept my apologies! It’s just that no one has ever understood how I worked like that. It’s… a good feeling.” She was blushing deep red. Tag couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

“Don’t’ worry about it.” He said. “I’m sure I’ll get used to it.” Rarity blushed turned bright crimson and Tag laughed even harder. He eventually got to his hooves and motioned for Rarity to continue. She led him to an adjacent room still giggling fitfully. The next room looked like a lounge almost, and on one of the sofas was a little filly, her hair was two shades of purple, and she had her sister’s gleaming white coat. When she looked up she saw Rarity and Tag standing together.

“Hey sister!” She squeaked. “Who’s your new coltfriend?” Rarity was blushing all over again and Tag did a double take.

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity shrieked. Even Tag was blushing slightly.

“What? I was just asking a question.” Sweetie Belle acted as though she had done nothing wrong but Tag could see the mischief in her eyes.

“I’m not her coltfriend.” He muttered.

“Then what are you doing here?” Sweetie Belle asked. Tag thought for a moment, he hadn’t prepared an answer. Thankfully Rarity came to his aid.

“He is a friend of mine who needed work, and I thought I would do a good deed and offered him a job, unfortunately, he also needs a place to stay so he will be occupying the guest room.” Sweetie Belle looked at Tag with wide eyes.

“Do you have a name, mister?” She asked it innocently enough.

“My name is Tag, it’s nice to meet you, Sweetie Belle.” He said and extended his hoof, and Sweetie Belle bumped it with hers.

“Hey Tag! What’s your cutie mark of?” Sweetie Belle tried to look at Tag’s cutie mark, but he quickly hid it from her gaze.

“Please, I would really rather not get into that right now.” He was shifting uncomfortably as Sweetie Belle kept trying to see his cutie mark. Rarity bumped her out of the way and walked her over to a door. When she looked back Tag could see that she was nervous.

“Over here Tag, your room is right here.” She pushed the door open with her magic and walked inside. Tag gratefully followed and left a confused Sweetie Belle behind.

The guest room was spacious only because it lacked furniture; there was a bed and a night table, a dresser and a window. Tag took a quick look out the window it had a wonderful view of the house next door and a window into it.

“Nice view.” Tag commented.

“Well it can’t be PERFECT.” Rarity said. Tag sighed.

“At least it lets in the light.” Tag said.

“What’s that?” said a voice behind Tag. He jumped and spun around, growling. He stopped when he saw that it was Sweetie Belle looking at his cutie mark. Sweetie Belle looked at him with terrified eyes, Tag silently cursed himself for being high strung. Tag looked away with his eyes closed.

“… Sorry.” He said. Sweetie Belle nodded and ran out of the room. Tag slowly looked at Rarity, her eyes were wide. “Will she be alright?” Tag’s voice was dull, the light that had returned to him faded quickly.

“She’ll get over it, nothing can keep her down for long.” Rarity stiffly led Tag out of the room. “ The upstairs room is Sweetie Belle’s and mine, please refrain from going upstairs unless it is an emergency. What time is it?” Rarity looked at the clock. “OH! It’s almost time for supper!” Tag looked at the clock; it was 5:34.

“Yes it certainly is. Is there anything that I can do to help, Rarity?” Rarity thought for a moment.

“I suppose, could you cut up some vegetables for me?” She seemed hesitant. Is she afraid of giving me a knife? He shook himself. No. That’s behind me now.

“Sure, could you show me were they are?” Rarity nodded.

“This way dear.” She led the way into the kitchen. Using her magic she pulled out a knife, a cutting board, and a variety of vegetables. “When you’ve finished cutting them let me know, I’ll be getting the water boiling.” Rarity trotted off, pulling out a pot.

Tag picked the knife with his magic and put a carrot onto the cutting board. He started slicing it up. Before he knew it Tag had cut it into tiny bits, he pulled out another vegetable and started cutting. Tag became so engrossed in his task he didn’t realize when he had finished.

“I’m finished, Rarity.” He said and turned to her, she had just put the water on stove. She looked at him worriedly.

“G-good, let’s just wait for the water boil.” Rarity’s voice shook a little; she was probably scared of his skill with the knife.

“I’m sorry.” He said and Rarity gave him a confused look.

“Whatever is there to be sorry for?” She asked genuinely curious. Tag looked away.

“You’re scared of me, I suppose that is something to be sorry for.”

“No no no! You have nothing to be sorry for! You just startled me, that’s all.” She put a hoof around his shoulder and held him close. Tag sniffed lightly.

“It’s just hard to imagine what I’ve done in the past! All of a sudden I’m some monster from a long dead war, and I have to just accept it! It’s a hard secret to keep, and I’m afraid that one day it’s going to get out, and everpony will come for me.” Two tears coursed down Tag’s cheeks. His eyes widened as Rarity brought him into a full hug.

“It’s okay, me and the others will not let that happen. It’s in the past now. You’ll fit in just fine and it’s my job to shape you so that you’ll fit in snug. Well, maybe that’s going a little far, Me and my friends will teach you what it’s like to be cared for.” Tag cried.

“Thank you, I don’t deserve this.” He whispered. Rarity slapped him.

“Don’t say that.” She growled. Tag looked at her with hurt filled eyes. “Everypony deserves second chances. Now I want you to pro-“ The water was boiling. “Gack!” Rarity cried. And threw the vegetables in with her magic.

The hilarity of the situation got to Tag and he started laughing. Rarity turned to him. “What’s so funny?” She asked. Tag laughed even harder when he saw she was indignant. It took him several minutes to calm down.

“I really needed that.” He said. Rarity giggled, his laugh was really infectious.


The familiar feeling of daylight shining through his eyelids woke Tag up. He groaned but pushed himself onto the floor. The carpet feels really comfy. Tag’s eyes opened. Wait, I don’t have a carpet. Tag looked at the bed, it had light purple colours. That’s not my bed. Tag was a little nervous. Then, to his surprise, Rarity peaked over the edge of the bed.

“Wake up, sleepyhead.” She said.

----

Tag sat bolt upright and looked around, he was in his room, nothing happened. Rarity was looking at him from the doorway.

“Are you alright dear?” She asked. “Did you have a nightmare?” Tag swallowed.

“Uh… sure.” He said. Rarity looked unconvinced.

“Right, well breakfast is ready. Come down when you’re ready.” She walked out of the door. Tag slumped over. Celestia condemn it. He thought.

----

Tag entered the kitchen and could smell blueberry pancakes in the air.

“Those smell delicious.” He said drooling a little. Rarity was standing in front of the stove holding a pan with her magic. Her mane was as perfect as it always was, with that curve at the end. Tag looked at his mane that was messy and unkempt. Rarity turned around with a plate of pancakes. She put them down on the table and looked at Tag. She gasped and her eyes went wide, Tag scanned the room quickly.

“What?” He asked. Rarity covered her eyes.

“Dear sweet Celestia! It’s HIDEOUS!” She exclaimed and Tag finally understood what she meant.

“I’m sorry?” He tried, unfortunately he guessed wrong as he was pulled away by Rarity. “My pancakes…” He whimpered.


Rarity pulled him up to the fitting room and got out a brush. She set him in front of a mirror and went to work on his mane.

“Did you ever actually brush this thing?” She asked as she grappled with fashion’s worst enemy above Tag’s head.

“Wandering through the wilderness didn’t make it easy- OW! Hey!” Tag gasped as Rarity pulled on a particularly tight knot.

“I must defeat this horrid demon!” She cried. Tag just hunched his shoulders. “Don’t move!” Tag hunched his shoulders even further.

Tag stumbled into the kitchen again, the top of his head was numb with pain and he was dizzy with hunger. He sat down and grabbed a pancake, shoving it into his mouth and chewing. Cold. He thought. Rarity skipped into the kitchen obviously pleased with herself.

“Don’t you feel better? I certainly do!” She looked at Tag. Tag looked at her. “Okay. MAYBE I got a little carried away.” She smiled sheepishly. Tag raised an eyebrow. There was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it.” Rarity said and left the room. Tag sat and enjoyed his pancake. He could hear the door open and close, then Rarity’s voice. “Twilight! Good morning!” there was a clip clop and Twilight poked her head in the kitchen.

“Come on, there’s an emergency.” Tag chocked on his pancake and gulped down a glass of orange juice. Twilight trotted over to help but he held up a hoof.

“It’s okay, I’m good.” Tag stood up. “Where to?”


Twilight led the way back to the library; Tag could already see the emergency. Celestia’s chariot was in front of the library. Tag put on an extra burst of speed; the chariot could only mean one thing, Tor.

PreviousChapters Next