• Published 8th Mar 2014
  • 4,523 Views, 252 Comments

My number one dark knight - Angelus Alvus



What would have heppened if Chrysalis had found Spike's egg before Celestia?

  • ...
19
 252
 4,523

Magic

After his first few weeks, it became a routine for Spike to wake up early every morning, say goodbye to his mother, and accompany Hecate and Bella Noche to school, even Bella Noche would come to Spike’s home and the two would play the entire afternoon in the castle in routine.

The two would play so much during the day; Spike started going to sleep earlier than usual, but as the child he was, he refused to do so until he told his mother everything he had learned in school and with his new friends. However, Hecate only allowed them to play to their heart’s desire after they finished with their homework.

Spike and Bella Noche ended up befriending Crimson Veil, Ixion, Ion and Dalia and the six of them would start playing with one another during their recess, and Spike even invited them to the castle, with the permission of his mother, of course.

However, things didn’t go as smooth as Spike wish they had been. There were a few changelings, led by Ifrit, who constantly tried to mock Bella Noche because of her eyes. One day it even got to the point of them leaving mean notes on her notebook while they played, discovering them when class resumed.

Bella Noche plunged into sadness as she read each note.

Disappear!

Go away, freak!

Why don’t you go join ponies?

Noling likes you!

Spike picked the note and yelled, demanding to know who put the notes there, but most of the class was silent until Ifrit spoke “Oh, look. The prince is defending his giiiirlfrieeend. The freak is a dragon lover too!”

He then started to snicker at his own joke, while Spike clenched his fists, crushing the paper he was holding. Bella Noche tried to calm him down “It is okay, Spike, really. You need to sit down before the teacher gets here.”

But the dragon’s anger escalated at the continued snickering of the mean changeling, getting to the point that the paper in his hands lit with green fire, burning it to ashes.

While it was an accident, everyling paused at the sight. Even Spike was awestruck at the burning ashes, he didn’t know he could burn object just by touching them. The drake looked around the room; he could see that some of his classmates were a bit scared of that display.

However, Crimson Veil tried to intervene to remove the attention from the baby dragon by saying “That’s enough, Ifrit. Everyling knows that it was you and your friends who did that. When the teacher sees the notes, he’s-”

“What notes?” Ifrit interrupted her, feigning innocence. He had to admit that Spike burning the notes was a fortunate accident. The bully had to make a mental note to be more careful about evidence that can be tracked.

“You…” Spike hissed, but he felt a hoof on his hand and when he looked it was Bella Noche. She looked quite scared, which quelled the drake’s rage.

“Please stop, Spike” She said softly.

“Sorry, Belle, I didn’t want to scare you, this never happened before” he replied looking at her.

“I just don’t want anyling fighting because of me again” She spoke as she let go of Spike’s claw.

Spike wondered what she meant by ‘again’, but he agreed with her and reassured her that he would not pick a fight with Ifrit, for now.

She smiled and was somewhat glad that things were resolved, but was still hurt by the things Ifrit and his friends keep telling her. The last thing she wants is to drag down her friends with her.

Cornelius came to the classroom in a hurry and quickly said “Sorry, everyling, I had some important business to attend to and lost track of the time. I’ll try not to let this happen again”

After saying that the teacher added in his mind ‘This is the last time I’ll ever eat this new gryphon food called taco.’

But then he sniffed the air and smelled that something had been burnt, and then looked at the students, suspicious that something had happened and quickly asked the students if something was wrong.

They all looked at each other worriedly, but Ifrit spoke up and told his teacher nothing was wrong.

Cornelius narrowed his eyes and waited for someone to deny the boy’s claims, but decided to let it go given the fact that no one else did. Since nothing was on fire and seemingly no one was hurt, he sighed and then told his students “Very well, class. Let us begin the introduction to magic.”

He turned and used his magic to levitate the chalk and write on the board a simple outline of a changeling.

Cornelius then began his lesson “Changeling magic is very interesting. Our bodies produce magic on a daily basis and replenishes naturally after we use it. Many of you must have already discovered that when you use too much magic you may get tired. It is because your magic drains energy from your very muscles, then moves this energy to the horn”

He said as his own horn glowed levitating some of the chalk in front of him. “You see, children, for us, the horn is the most important organ in our body. Without it we cannot channel magic or use it in any way. It’s because our horns are the medium of our magic, just like unicorns as we discussed before” his face turned serious as he continued, “However, don’t think that unicorns are the only ponies to have the power to use magic. While in a much lesser extent, earth ponies and pegasi also have magic in them, however, their use is very limited because their medium cannot fully control the magic inside of their bodies and their magic has adapted to specific purposes”

The teacher then turned to the blackboard once more and drew a simple picture of a Pegasus above a cloud and an earth pony next to a sprouting plant, “Pegasi may use their magic to manipulate the weather and even stand on top of clouds as if they were solid. As for earth ponies they have a strange affinity with agriculture, mainly because they pour their magic on the seeds to make them grow faster and stronger” he then turned back to his students and continued, “We’ve studied the bodies of several pegasi and earth ponies and inquired many, as well about their abilities. The result of the research showed that their magic happens involuntary. It’s almost like they use their magic on a subconscious level. Most didn’t even know that what they deemed as something mundane or normal for them, was actually a product of magic. They don’t have to actually focus and manipulate it like changelings or unicorns have to”

“It is believed by many researchers that this happens because earth ponies and pegasi lack a proper medium to catalyze their magic and fully manipulate it. It’s also a popular belief that the two pony princesses were originally unicorns or pegasi who somehow attained the power of the other two races, and with the magic of the three races combined plus the horn as their medium, they became very powerful. That is why none of you should ever underestimate any pony race. Any questions so far?”

Spike then raised his arm and Cornelius allowed him to speak “Can dragons use magic?”

The boy had expectant eyes, but the teacher slowly shook his head “I’m sorry, Spike, but I’m afraid that I lack the knowledge about dragon magic”

“Oh…” It was all Spike could say looking at his own desk feeling a little sad. No changeling he encountered so far knew much about dragons, he also feared that he had burned the pieces of paper by using magic, but he wasn’t sure. In fact, most of the stuff other changelings explained to him about dragons Spike already knew. It was because most of the knowledge they had, which wasn’t much to begin with, came from observing Spike.

Seeing the boy’s face Cornelius tried to reassure him “Well, I’m not sure if dragons can or cannot use magic, but maybe if you can find a medium or catalyst to focus, you might be able to manipulate magic or even freely use magic like changelings, maybe you can indirectly use magic like pegasi and earth ponies.”

Ifrit had to bite his tongue to not make a comment about Spike being a pony lover. If he had made such remark he would have been grounded for sure.

Spike then remembered that he could send and receive objects through his fire and he knew that he could switch between actual burning fire and his magic one, but frowned again because it wasn’t really his magic, but his mother’s.

After that, Cornelius continued his class about the basics of changeling magic and how it flows through the horn. The teacher left out on purpose the bit of information about his kind being able to feed on love from other species to get stronger because he didn’t want to give his students any wrong ideas about trying to feed from Spike to boost their own magic. Besides, they would learn more about it in the future grades and they would be much more mature to handle this information, or so he hoped.

At the end of the class the teacher assigned the homework and ended the class. The students then left the room as usual. However, Spike and Bella Noche walked a bit slower.

Before they met with Hecate, Bella Noche made Spike promise her to not tell her mother about the incident at school.

However, Spike didn’t want to keep such a thing as a secret. “Why do you want me to do that? Maybe auntie Hecate or even mom can do something to make them stop being so mean to you”

“You don’t understand!” She said almost whimpering.

The baby dragon was taken aback by this and looked worried at her “What’s wrong? Please, tell me.”

She looked at her friend and confided him “This is not the first time I’ve been made fun of, in our old home many older kids mocked and insulted me and when I told my brother, he got into a lot of trouble because he ended up in fights to defend me. My family had to move to another place because of that; I don’t want others getting hurt trying to protect me again”

Spike lifted his claw and placed it over her back, letting her continue “I don’t want to move again or change schools. I have friends now, and I don’t want to lose you or the others.”

The drake looked at her pleading face, conceding to her wishes. He didn’t want her to go away either, but he also didn’t want to just stand by and let other changelings treat her so badly for such idiotic reason.

But now, they had another problem, tricking Hecate. They tried to breath to calm themselves before they met her with a couple of forced smiles. They thought it was a solid plan.

Which crumbled as soon as Hecate saw them.

She asked what was wrong and why they were smiling so forcefully. The two then told her the truth, not all of it, just enough that Bella Noche has been mocked again, but it wasn’t anything to be worried about.

Hecate sighed at hearing this and she wondered if she should speak with the principal Walpurgis about this, but as soon as she said that, her daughter begged her not to.

“They would be very mad at me if the principal punishes them.” Bella Noche cried.

“I can’t just stand quiet as my daughter is insulted by poorly educated changelings.” Hecate said angrily as they walked towards Spike’s home.

The young drake then tried to intervene “Don’t worry, Auntie Hecate. I’ll protect her!”

His friend, however, gave him a worried glare. “I told you, I don’t want you to get in trouble, Spike.”

Hecate couldn’t help but to smile a bit because of her daughter’s good friend “Thank you, Spike. I really appreciate it, but I wouldn’t be happy either if you were to pick any unnecessary fights. I’ll try think of something, I promise”

And so the trio marched towards the castle in an awkward silence. Hecate only hoped that whatever happened that day wasn’t something grave, but again, if something really bad had happened the school staff would have contacted her or Chrysalis.

When she remembered her queen, she turned to Spike and told him “Oh, yes. I almost forgot, Spike. Your mother will arrive home early today. She only has a meeting with her generals today and after that she’s free to come home.

This news certainly improved Spike’s mood greatly. While he liked school and playing with his friends, he didn’t like that his time with his mother had been reduced to a few hours per day during the week. Thankfully, he had the weekends to spend more time with her.

Bella Noche liked Chrysalis, she had met the queen a few times and, while the queen of changelings treated her nicely, she still looked rather imposing given her big size to the young one.

The young changeling had heard stories about dragons, but she found hard to believe that Spike, one day, would be of the size of the castle. She secretly hoped that the size would never alter her friend’s behavior.

The rest of the day proceeded the same as usual; lunch, homework and a few games between the two friends.

Chrysalis finally arrived home later that evening and found the two kids playing a board game in Spike’s room. As soon as the drake saw his mother he gave a big smile and rushed to hug her.

The queen returned his affection and also greeted Bella Noche “How are you two doing? I hope you’ve been taking care of killer here, Bella Noche” She said jokingly with a smile.

The young changeling smiled a bit and said “We are fine, Spike doesn’t need anyling to watch over him. It’s him who takes care of me” She ended up saying by accident and she blushed as she spoke.

The queen smiled mischievously also watching her son blushing a bit as well, “I’m glad you two are getting along. I’ll be downstairs talking to Hecate. If you two need anything come talk with me”

Spike and Bella Noche then resumed the board game, which ended with Bella Noche’s victory. Once they finished, the dragon suggested to go downstairs too and ask what kind of things his mother was discussing.

The duo then did as planned and Chrysalis gladly started to give them a long talk about the bureaucracy aspect of the meeting, paperwork and other bothering aspects of it.

After a few minutes of listening, Bella Noche then suggested “Wanna go play hide and seek?”

Spike quickly agreed and left with her.

Hecate couldn’t help, but to chuckle watching the two leave. “You sure know how to keep them safe.”

Chrysalis smiled softly “Yes, I don’t want to tell them about the battles and bloodshed. If they hear too much about it, they would think it’s all clean, tidy and completely one-sided victories for us. And we both know that while our cause is just, many of our kind get hurt or worse”

Hecate heavily sighed as she remembered her husband. “But you do intend to use Spike in the war against ponies, don’t you?”

It was Chrysalis turn to lose the smile “I admit that once I hatched Spike, my first impulse was to use him as a weapon and weapon only, but now, I don’t want him to get killed out there. If he’s to leave and fight, I want him to be at least a full grown dragon. This way, no pony or gryphon would stand a chance in so much harming him. But”

“He can still get hurt.” Hecate finished her sentence.

The queen them honestly answered her: “I’ve decided a long time ago, that I won’t coerce Spike in joining the military. I know most, if not all, my generals would have a heart attack if they hear this.”

Hecate chuckled lightly “Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me, my queen.”

Chrysalis smiled back at her and thanked her.

Later, after dinner, Spike said his goodbyes to Bella Noche and Hecate as they left back to their home.

Once Chrysalis and Spike were alone, the queen picked her son up with her magic and placed him on her back. She wondered for long she would be able to do this with him. But she guessed she could still carry him on her back for some more years before Spike got big enough to carry her on his back.

This thought got a chuckle out of her.

But then she heard her son speaking to her as she walked to her room. It was pretty much a tradition to spend the evenings there in privacy now that Spike’s classes had started.

“Mom, do you think I can use magic?”

Chrysalis halted her movement and turned her neck to look at her son. She wondered many times if the boy would ever be able to use changeling magic. If he couldn’t then he would certainly feel singled out from the other kids. Also, without being able to use shape shifting magic, he would completely lose any surprise element and would have a much harder time to either initiate an attack or escape in a difficult situation.

Spike then told her what happened in the class and how he burned a bunch of nasty notes to Bella Noche just by holding them, without actually breathing fire on them, followed by Spike begging his mom to not tell a thing to Hecate because he didn’t want Bella Noche to go away.

While she could understand why Spike wanted to keep this a secret from her chamber maid, but this could escalate out of control if left alone. She trusted that her son would never do anything wrong and would protect his friend at all costs. This was a very noble and admirable thing.

However, this could lead to other changelings to stop accepting Spike as one of them.

She didn’t wanted that to happen, but she also tried to image how she could help the situation without causing an incident that would hurt Spike or Hecate’s family. However, what made her think more was the name of the young boy who bullied Bella Noche. She had heard the name of a young boy named Ifrit before, but she couldn’t place her hoof where.

But she decided to leave that to some other time.

She then resumed waling and told her son: “Maybe your fire is your medium.”

The boy looked pensive for a second and asked “How can my fire be my medium? It’s not a part of my body, it’s something I produce. You even had to enchant my fire for me to be receive and send messages”

She smiled and said: “True, but if could enchant any fire, I would have done it a long time ago, Spike. There was something special in you that had affinity with magic and allowed me to place this particular spell on you. I think I have a few ideas about how you can use it.”

Spike’s eyes beamed in joy thinking that he would finally be able to use magic like everyling else and said “Please, mommy, let’s try it now”

Chrysalis gave a light hearted laughter at how eager her son was to learn magic. “I need to have to consult a few friends first, killer. I have a general idea about how you can use your fire as medium, but I need to check if it’s possible first. I don’t want you to hurt yourself by accident again.”

Spike shrugged a bit as he remembered the incident when he received an object bigger than his throat once. It really was an unpleasant feeling. He knew that it was an accident and ended up accepting to wait not-so-patiently for his mother to come up with a way for him to use magic.

Author's Note:

Author notes:
1)English is my second language. Forgive me for any mistake.
2)I don’t own My Little Pony
3)I've tried to add the slice of life tag to this fic, and I couldn't. The website says that both are conflicting. How is, in the name of Tartarus, adventure incompatible with slice of life when I've seen a TON of sad/tragedy tags + COMEDY?
4)Thank you once again, BetaHammer for editing my chapter.