• Published 8th Mar 2014
  • 4,523 Views, 252 Comments

My number one dark knight - Angelus Alvus



What would have heppened if Chrysalis had found Spike's egg before Celestia?

  • ...
19
 252
 4,523

And so Begins the School

On the following day, Spike got up quite early to get himself ready for school. He checked his green bag, where he kept his pencils, notebook and a few gems for a snack during recess to see if there was anything missing.

After triple checking it, he picked it and went to his mother’s bedroom and he saw that she was already up.

She looked at him and said with a smile: “Someone is excited for the first day of school.”

The little drake grinned widely and simply said: “Yes!” then he approached Chrysalis and gave her a hug on her front legs “I hope you come back home early today. I want to tell you everything!”

She then used her free hoof to hug him back and told him: “Let’s go get breakfast first. You can’t go to school with an empty stomach. The classes start at 7:30 am, but you need to get there a bit earlier because of the opening ceremony.”

Spike nodded and both went to the dining hall to eat something. After that Chrysalis told Spike she had to leave to take care of some ‘royal business’ and told him to wait for Hecate to pick him up.

After the changeling queen left, Spike just waited in the first floor of the castle. He was in a front hall of the castle. It had a big door that led outside and some furniture that didn’t really seem to match with one another. He got on a chair that was obviously too big for him and he started to move his legs, which dangled from it while he hummed and looked around as he waited.

It didn’t take long for Hecate to arrive alongside her daughter though the front door. “Good morning, Spike, are you ready to go to school?” she asked with a smile.

“Yes, I am, aunt Hecate.”

The dragon nodded and jumped from the chair while carrying his bag, when he got near both changelings and could see the small changeling which was about his size and was carrying a yellow saddlebag on her back. Hecate then introduced them to each other.

The young changeling had peculiar eyes as well. But unlike her mother, only Bella Noche’s right eye was yellow, while the left one was blue, but each eye had lighter and brighter shade than Hecate’s or other changelings Spike had seen.

“Wow. Your eyes are pretty.” Spike said amazed and with a smile.

Bella Noche smiled back and blushed a little: “Thanks…You are dragon, right? My mommy told me a little about you.”

“Yes. It’s to meet you, Bella Noche.” He replied cheerfully.

Hecate however had to interrupt them and said: “You two can talk while trot to the school. We don’t want to be late for your first day, don’t we?”

The two agreed with the older changeling and then followed her. Bella Noche and pike chatted a lot during their walk.

“What’s your favorite color or colors? Mine are purple and green.” Spike asked.

The young changeling replied: “Mine is pink. Is it true that dragons come from eggs? I’ve heard some stories about them. Do you breath fire and eat stones?”

The baby dragon nodded and replied: “I did come from a purple egg and I can also breath fire. But I only eat gemstones, not regular stones. Normal stones taste bad.” Spike finished his sentence by sticking his forked tongue out to emphasize his statement.

“What’s your favorite game?” Spike asked.

“Hide and seek.” She said.

“Mine too! Wanna play with me later?” the drake beamed.

She smiled back at him and said: “Sure!”

Hecate merely smiled as she heard the young ones chatting. She was glad that they were getting along. She hoped things would be the same in school.

They had walked through a secret entrance under a rock on the courtyard of the castle. It had some stairs that led to another series of tunnels. When they got there, Hecate said: “Make sure to learn the proper paths in these tunnels. I’ll take you and bring you back every day, but eventually the two of you will have to walk here on your own and there is no signals telling which way leads to where. You have to either memorize it or use a localization spell. But It’ll take some time for you learn the latter.”

Spike looked around a bit amazed. He had been brought to underground before by his mother a few months ago, but it was from a different entrance. She had brought him there to attune him with the enchantment she had placed on the tunnels so he could also move faster there. She didn’t need to redo the spell for other changelings, since it covered their entire species, while Spike was the only exception.

For Spike, they had walked at a normal speed, but it felt almost like the tunnels moved alongside them to make the path shorter. He was amazed by how powerful his mom was to create such a spell.

It took them about 10 minutes for them to arrive at a gate. There were four changelings standing in guard there and when they arrived, Hecate announced herself and the two children next to her. The guards looked at Spike and it took them a good minute for them to remember that their queen had adopted a dragon. They didn’t mind him that much and opened the gate for the three come inside.

When they got inside, Spike’s jaw almost dropped. It had a quite nice architecture crafted on stones. Statues of different changelings alongside others in high-relief on walls. They even had a life-size stature of his mother at the entrance.

The baby dragon noticed that the place was swarming with many changelings, old and young. Spike assumed pretty much every parents brought their kids there. Spike felt a little sad because his mother couldn’t attend, but he tried to shrug it off.

He also had to adjust his breathing a little, because he was a bit overwhelmed. Changelings are usually very similar to one another. Sure, many had their unique traits like being a bit taller, smaller, chubbier, more athletic, some had a different eye color, but they are still very similar in their appearance. Thankfully, their kind didn’t have to worry about that. They could still distinguish each other even if they were disguising themselves. There were two reasons for this: Body odor and magic imprint.

Each changeling had a unique smell which distinguished them and their noses were sensitive enough to tell each one apart just with that even in a room full of them. The other trait was the fact that each changeling magic gave away a kind of magic aura around them, which could be picked up by any changeling since they all possessed horns to detect their magic auras. Thankfully, Spike’s nose was also sensitive enough to tell them apart, but he had a bit of hard time with so many of them in the same room, but he dismissed it thinking that all he needed was to get used to the smells. But, unfortunately, he didn’t know if he could ever use magic or not like other changelings.

Sure, his fire could send and receive objects through magic and he could walk faster on the tunnels, but they were his mother’s spells, not his own.

As the trio walked, magic changelings looked at them and started to whisper things like

“Is that the dragon everyling is talking about?”

“So, is he, like, our prince?”

“Will he get the other dragons to join us?”

Hecate frowned a little bit as she heard some changelings thinking of him as nothing, but a weapon. He was just a baby, for dragon standards, and throw this much weight on him seemed unfair to her. But at least she was thankful nobody seemed to think ill of him, since her kind disliked pretty much every other species.

But then their attention was brought upon a much older looking female changeling who was over some kind of stage and behind her many adult changelings standing behind this older changeling.

The older changeling’s horn glowed and it enhanced her voice so she could be heard by everyling there: “Your attention, please. For those who still don’t know, I’m the director of the school number 56, Walpurgis. This is the beginning of a new year for learning for you all, for those who are just starting school and those who are in the more advanced grades. I thank your presence here. It brings me joy to see many new young changelings learning and helping us preserve our culture and help our kingdom to flourish...”

While Spike was kinda interested in what she had to say, she started to ramble on and on about the time when she was young and she ended up not losing Spike’s attention, but also most of the young changelings and most of the parents and teachers. Apparently, she gave the exact same speech every single year.

She wasn’t a bad changeling. Everyling there knew that Walpurgis was a great principal and worked very hard, but she had a bit of a narcissistic side.

“…And I hope you’ll stay with us all the way until graduation. I hope you have a wonderful first year of school.” She finished her speech, which was the cue for the changeling to clap their hooves.

But then she added: “That’s right, I’ll now introduce the teachers this year. Once they announce themselves, please accompany them.”

A male changeling then walked in front and used the same spell to make his voice louder. He was looked like a regular changeling, just a bit shorter than the average ones: “Good morning, everyling. My name is Cornelius and I’ll be the homeroom teacher of the first grade, those who are at this grade, please accompany me.”

He then got out of the stage and waited for his students to gather next to him for him to take them to the class, and when he did that, another etacher approached to call for her class.

“Now, you two, I’ll be back at midday to get you two home for lunch. Listen to your teacher and be nice, okay?” Hecate said gently.

The two kids nodded and then Bella Noche said: “Come, Spike, they are starting to move.”

The drake then followed his new friend in a hurry towards the class. The group who followed Cornelius consisted of 23 students and as soon as Spike and Bella Noche caught up with them, the students started to bombard Spike with questions.

“Are you really a dragon?”

“My daddy said that dragons are the only other race that aren’t bad to us, is it true?”

“What do you eat?”

“Are you really the prince?”

Spike felt a bit discomfortable with all those questions. He tried his best to answer them all. But he didn’t know much about dragons. He just told them what his mother had told him. He also said that he didn’t find comfortable to be called ‘prince’. They could just call him Spike.

Cornelius smiled to see that his students were getting long. He was honestly worried when he had been briefed that Spike would be attending his classes. But it now seemed that his worries were unfounded.

Once they got to the class, it was quite spacious and had 30 chairs there, there was also a black board, some chalk, a bureau and a painting rack next to it and on the rack many sheets of white paper, but only the first one was blank.

The teacher then said: “Pick any seat you desire. We’ll begin class shortly.”

Spike and Bella Noche sat down next to each other on the first seats of the first and second rows of the right side. Before sitting, every student took their saddlebags and hanged on their chairs. Spike did the same with his bag. They all also took their notebooks and pencils from their sadlebags.

“Since this is the first class, let’s begin introducing each other. After all you’ll probably be classmates until graduation.” The teacher said with a smile.

Every student then started to introduce themselves, Spike tried his best to memorize everyling’s name. He felt like it would be awkward to ask their name again.

After that the teacher then told them to get their notes and pencils because the classes were about to begin. He then turned back to the blackboard and levitate a chalk and started writing on it.

Everyling there collectively groaned when the teacher started with math. Cornelius couldn’t help to chuckle a little, because he got the same reaction every year.

One hour and half passed by as he taught students about math and when he got to the History class, he approached the wooden rack and said: “I think I should start by the very beginning. For those who wondered, at some point, we, changelings, are somewhat similar to ponies.” The teacher then flipped the first piece of paper on the wooden stand revealing drawings of three types of ponies.

The thee ponies were all drawn with a black brown ink and have minor differences. One had wings, other had a horn and the third one didn’t have either. The teacher then proceeded to explain: “The one with horns is called unicorn. They can use magic pretty much the way we do…”

Then suddenly a changeling at the back of the class, called Ion, raised a hoof and asked: “Talking about magic, when will we learn how to use it?”

Cornelius smiled and told him: “Patience, young one. You all will learn about it this semester, but it’s only the theory of it. You’ll learn the practical side of it only next semester. We don’t want accidents to happen.”

The changeling who had made the question pouted not really satisfied. He wanted to perform magic. Sure he could use it to levitate objects, but there is more to it than just levitation. There’s shape shifting, barriers, teleport, among other things.

“Well, continuing. Aside from the unicorns, the ones with wings are called pegasi, plural of pegasus, by the way. So, please don’t start saying pegasusus” the teacher then chuckled at his own words along with some students and then continued “They can fly and use a little of magic to control weather and stand on top of clouds. The third type is the earth pony. This kind had no wings or horn and they an innate magic that helps crops to grow faster. You’ll learn more about their biology in later grades.”

“But a small curiosity about them is that they have a tattoo on their flanks and they call it ‘cutie mark’. They appear naturally on them and it is supposed to mean their special talent. Because, you know, they need a magic tattoo on flank to tell them what they are good at.”

The students then giggled and Cornelious resumed the class. The teacher then resisted the urge to frown as he turned the next page that displayed a picture of the goddess of sun, Celestia. “She is Celestia. The ruler of Sun. She possesses both wings and horn and is much taller than the average pony. One could say that she is on the same level as our queen. But she has some objects called Elements of Harmony. They are tools that can be used to crush all her enemies.”

Cornelius then looked at their students and he could see that many had already heard stories about Celestia and her reign of terror, Spike included, but he had to explain them what gave birth to the stories.

“It all begun 1100 years ago. Our people lived in a fruitful area next to a mountain and river. We had farms and managed to trade goods with other races. Bu then everything changed when the ponies attacked. They were being led by Celestia’s sister, another alicorn, the ruler of the night, named Nightmare Moon.”

He then flipped the paper to show them another dragging of another alicorn, but instead of white fur and a rainbow mane, this one had black fur, helmet and a purple mane.

“She led her army expelling our kind from our land and claimed it to her own. The sister than nominated the place Canterlot and now is the capital of the kingdom of Equestria.”

With a heavy sigh the teacher continued. It’s painful for him to know that his people endured so much, but he had to leave out the most bloody details of the story, because, after all his class consisted of little children. He couldn’t tell them things like the number of changeling deaths and how brutal their deaths were.

“We tried to ask for help from other kingdoms, like the gryphons’ and pelican’s, but they had become allies of the ponies and refused to help us, in fact they even helped the ponies to banish us.”

He then flipped the paper to show then what Gryphons and pelicans looked like. He also showed them many other drawings of other species, like buffalo’s and even dragons.

“The only species that hadn’t done anything to cause us harm were dragons, but since they like to live secluded in mountains, asking them for help was impractical for us.”

“Our people had to wander through many places. We couldn’t stay put for long because the kingdoms were always expanding. Thankfully, we had met other changelings form other areas and we had to stick together to survive since they were meeting the same issues as the ones form the area know known as Canterlot were facing.”

“Because of brave changelings who disguised themselves as ponies, we also learned that, one thousand years ago, in an act to seize power just to herself, Celestia banished her sister to the Moon and now she is the sole ruler of the ponies by using six objects named, ironically, as Elements of Harmony. As you can see she is conceited to the core…”

The teacher then smiled a bit as he explained: “Thankfully, 900 years ago, our queen, Chrysalis has been born and she was filled with power. Power that could rival Celestia’s. But, sadly, as long as Celestia has the Elements of Harmony, we stand no chance.”

“However, our queen also broke the barriers of age and obtained immortality as well and she managed to guide us to this area, where we slowly managed to build our own kingdom away from the eyes of every other race and as we build our own forces and slowly decrease the enemies’. It’s also joyful to know that our queen managed to gather all missing members of our kind who struggled to survive against prejudice across the continent.”

Then, the teacher realized how late it was and it was when he looked at the clock on the room, which was almost hitting 10 a.m. almost time for recess. “Well, children, it’s almost time for the recess. Along this year and the following ones, you’ll learn more about how our lives were and all the important events through the changeling history. Today’s class was just the appetizer. I hope you have some fun and in half an hour and we’ll get to the last lesson of the day…more math.”

The students then collectively said “NO!”

The teacher laughed and said: “I’m kidding. It’ll be grammar. Now go have some fun.”

Author's Note:

Author notes:
1)English is my second language. Forgive me for any mistake.
2)I don’t own My Little Pony
3)Well, I've decided to have the changelings use "ling" to replace "one" in words, kinda like ponies do. I've also edited the previosus chapter to replace "everyone" for everyling".