• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 2,517 Views, 123 Comments

One Shot, One Chance - SpeederClaw



This is my first fanfic ever written so criticism is widely accepted. There are several OC's involved as well as the Mane 6 and various background ponies. Other than that enjoy!

  • ...
7
 123
 2,517

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Lying in Wait

Three ponies drifted under Luna’s moon with agitation crawling all over. Each pony held a discomfort that crippled their spirit. Cold, shivering winds halted progress and hindered the already beaten ponies. Vice struggled to keep both ponies in flight as he sailed lower and lower into the night.

His body was coated with foreign, but familiar blood. Enzo continued to bleed as the cold pain in his side complimented with the frigid air. Blitz bit his cheek in dire anticipation. He watched Enzo’s blood drip dreadfully down his body, he cringed at the wound.

“God you guys are so heavy!” Vice said. Nobody responded and Vice continued to steer through the black sky. “I meant that in a very bad way, you guys are too heavy for me to carry!” At this point, Vice started to fly dangerously low. The green trees were approaching from under.

“Uh, Vice-”

“Yeah…I know.” Vice’s altitude dropped until he could barely feel the brushes of leaves. “Oh bad stuff! Uh, you guys better hang on ‘cuz I’m about to crash!”

“What?” Blitz said holding Vice even tighter.

“I said I’m about to go pound the ground!” Vice distinguished a patch of green as being grass instead of leaves. He arched himself straight for the clearing within the forest. “Blitz, you better not shit yourself on me! I better not see any brown…wait, nevermind my coat is-aw shit. Hang on Enzo!” The ground came up fast and before impact occurred, Vice tucked his wings under and in front. With gritted teeth, he crashed into the ground wings first. His metal dug and tore up the ground and grass, colors of brown and green flew by. Sparks began to fly as metal finally hit the rocky layer beneath. “Okay…okaaay-”

Vice finally slowed down to a plausible speed before digging his wings straight into the earth for a complete stop. Blitz toppled over out of sheer fright and Enzo slumped off of Vice’s back. “Okay, Enzo, just take it easy. We’re safe now.”

“Are we?” Blitz caught his breath before speaking abruptly.

“What the hell’s that supposed to mean?”

“We have to have a serious conversation right now.”

Vice gave Blitz a stern look. “Is now honestly the best time?”

“You acted like you knew that crazy guy back there. If he’s with those ponies then I want an answer. Who are you Vice?”

“Dammit, Blitz, I just said now’s not the time-”

“Then when? I’m sick and tired of you being so mysterious. Stop treating me like useless trash and tell me answers! Why do you know Bullet Buster and how come that other guy told me to ask who you are?”

“Why should you listen to the bullshit that those guys say? Just because he tells you to do something doesn’t mean you’re obligated to do it. Unless you’re here to please everyone.”

“Listen, Vice, I just want to know one simple thing: who are you, really?”

“That’s not simple.”

“Darn it, Vice, answer me! Just tell me where you’re from, how exactly you got those wings and why you know that pony!”

Vice eyed Blitz with anger. “I can’t tell you!”

“Why.”

“Because…” Vice put a hoof to his head and wiped down his face in fury. “I can’t!”

“Yes you can! You’re just not choosing too for whatever stupid reason you always come up with. Vice, trust me and treat me like an equal for just one moment!”

“If I told you, it would destroy you. Everything you know about Equestria; blown away. I can’t tell you because I’m trying to protect you. Protect all of you guys from the shit I’m dealing with-the shit me and Enzo are dealing with! It’s not that simple!”

“Vice…” Enzo said softly. “If you think you can just shrug Blitz off like that…after all he’s seen-”

“Dammit, Enzo! I know what I’m doing. Are you really just going to tell him? Just like that; ruin what we’ve been trying so hard to keep away?”

“He deserves to know.”

“No, I can’t do that. Not to you!”

Enzo sighed and held his wound. “I’m not asking you. Blitz, we-”

“Alright you know what? Fine, fine we ended up crashing your train!”

Blitz shook his head. “What?”

“We were on our merry way to Ponyville when we saw your train being attacked by some guys. Me and Enzo, being the white knights we are, jumped in and tried to stop them. But we just ended up screwing the train over.”

Blitz took a deep breath. “So it wasn’t a freak accident?”

“No.”

‘They spoke of stealing trains in order to furnish their plan, but we’ve had much failure until recently.’ Blitz’s eyes lit up as the words of Doctor Rivet rang in his head. “Wait, Vice who were those guys you were fighting?”

“Told you enough, I’m getting Enzo out of here.”

“Just answer the question!”

“The bad guys. Literally that’s what they call themselves!”

“So that means Doctor Rivet is working for them, that means they are stealing trains.”

“Yeah that’s nice, you managed to figure it all-wait...they were responsible?”

“Assuming Doctor Rivet is working for those guys, then yes. I think I’m right that they are responsible.”

“Damn, that’s crazy. But, uh, can we get Enzo out of here now?”

“How?”

“BOYS!” A loud, muscular voice dispersed conversation. “There you are! What in Celestia’s name are you doing out-MISTER ENZO!”

“Hi Clyde,” Enzo said with a feeble smile.

“Agh my God! Now I’m gonna have to tell-alright listen, Clyde, and listen well,” Vice said. “You too Blitz. We met some bad ponies in the forest and Enzo got hurt in a fight. That’s it. Now can we please get to a goddamn hospital, my friend is bleeding out!”

Clyde’s face filled with confusion. “Excuse me-I don’t understand. Bad ponies?”

“Clyde, you should probably get Enzo to the hospital. I can explain; I’ve pieced together what’s going on here.”

“Hardly, Blue Boy.”

“Listen, I’m not going to argue with you anymore. If you’re going to be so secretive then fine. I’m telling Clyde what I know whether it be right or wrong. At least I’m helping instead of being selfish.”

Vice’s face flared with rage, his eyes sparked with fire. “Selfish? You think I’m goddamn selfish? I am anything but selfish, you-”

“Hey!” The most serious and angering voice came from Clyde. “Mister Enzo is in need of medical attention. You two can argue elsewhere, I’m taking Mister Enzo to the hospital right this second!” Clyde approached Enzo with certainty and lifted the black stallion onto his back. Blood contrasted against his white coat, but Clyde disregarded the effect. “My mustache is all that matters, Mister Enzo, not my coat.

Enzo chuckled a bit before looking at Vice. The two exchanged long conflicted glances before Clyde flew up high. “I suggest bringing Mister Blitz to Miss Twilight’s home. I will head there after I drop off Mister Enzo.”

Vice grumbled before accepting. “Fine, c’mon Blitz. No more questions alright? You can tell Clyde whatever you want-I don’t care.” Blitz nodded before climbing onto Vice. “No homo…”

Both pairs of escorts acknowledged each other before flying to their intended destinations. The moon watched eerily from above with the icy breeze flowing in the startling night.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Okay, Blitz, we’re here.”

“Thanks, Vice. Tell Enzo I hope he gets better.”

“Yeah.” Vice prepped instantly for take-off.

“Hey Vice.”

“What is it, Blitz?”

“I’m sorry for back there. It just gets annoying sometimes. You can tell me…about yourself when you’re ready.” Blitz smiled and nodded apologetically.

Vice grunted with sincerity. “Sure.” He left Twilight’s house with a slow pace. “I’m sorry for back there too. Shouldn’t have yelled at ya.” After he was sure he was alone, he whistled a low tune. “I’m sorry about everything.”

Blitz watched Vice leave and turned to knock on Twilight’s door. He almost made contact with Twilight’s head and jumped back. “Oh, Twilight?”

“Hey Blitz, I saw Vicer dropping you off here. You’ve been gone all day, did something happen?”

“No-well, um…” Blitz tilted his head back and forth. “Not really, I’m fine.”

“Clyde came here earlier saying that something was happening in the forest next to Sweet Apple Acres. He sent a message to Celestia herself calling for more guards through Spike so I’m pretty sure something happened,” Twilight said. “I’m not stupid, Blitz, so please tell me what’s going on.” This time she spoke seriously.

Blitz sighed. “Okay, I was planning on just telling Clyde, but you deserve to know too.” He paused. “Uh, how should I say this...”

“By saying it.”

“Alri-I got attacked by a few ponies.”

Twilight’s serious face sagged. “Oh my.”

“Yeah, I had an encounter with some bad folks. Um, let’s just say we had a fight and Enzo got hurt pretty badly.”

Twilight shot her eyes down. “How bad?”

“…he was bleeding nonstop from his side. He got shot by a magic bullet.”

Twilight stayed speechless. “I see.”

“I learned about their so-called plan to do some bad things-geez. I don’t wanna burden you with bad news.”

“No, please continue. I’m not the type to faint that easily.”

“Right. So these guys in the forest, they said they were stealing trains or something and that they were going to take over Ponyville. It was all part of their plan; I can give you a list of names.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, almost jokingly. “Why would anypony want to do that?”

“I don’t know…”

“Then again, my friends and I have certainly dealt with villains in the past eying Ponyville. But this is different…with Enzo being hurt and all. You are okay, by the way?” Twilight pointed sheepishly towards Blitz’s leg.

“Oh yeah, about that. Twilight, I didn’t think it was possible. But, I created snow without any water or anything. I also didn’t feel a thing in my leg. Is this normal?”

Twilight grinned. “It seems you had a little adrenaline rush. Magical-and physical-strengths often get amplified under certain blood rushed situations.”

“Huh…” Blitz looked back at his leg and smiled. “That’s pretty cool.”

“Mmhm.” Twilight’s smile faded as she stared distantly out her window. She sighed again. “I just don’t understand why. Why somepony would hurt Enzo so bad to the point where he’s in a fatal condition. It doesn’t make any sense. Even the angriest, craziest ponies I’ve met couldn’t even will themselves to-wait, nevermind. Trixie.” Both ponies laughed at the lightening joke. “But, honestly. I can’t comprehend any logical reasoning for it.”

“I just hope he’ll pull through,” Blitz said staring at the ground.

“Don’t worry; I’m sure he’s going to be well. I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Yeah, you too.”

“What?” Twilight broke her gaze from the window.

“Uh-I’m glad you’re okay too.”

“Thanks?”

“Sorry, uh, yeah.” Blitz saw something twinkle in the distance. “I should go check my snow globe.”

~~~~~~~~~~

“Mister Enzo, please hang on for just a little longer. I can see the hospital you’re going to be all right. Hang in there. DON’T YOU DARE DIE ON ME, MISTER! You’ll be sorry if you do!”

“Eh, I’ll try not to, Clyde!”

Clyde rushed faster and faster until he barely dived into the red tinted hospital doors. He busted through and was met by a very eager Gray Patch.

“Ah, welcome back, Mister Cl-” Gray Patch’s bright red eye darkened. “Enzo.”

“Excuse me, Mister Gray Patch.” Clyde stampeded past the pristine pony. “I need a doctor now!”

Ponies in white coats filed in as Clyde called out. “Hello, hello! I heard we have a problem!” The doctor recognized Clyde and instantly grew a worried, but determined face. “Clyde, you’re back and I see we have another incident.”

“Yes, please make sure Mister Enzo is taken care of.” Clyde gingerly handed off Enzo’s bloodied, black body on a stretcher. The head doctor nodded before wheeling Enzo down a whitened hallway.

“This is my fault,” Gray Patch said behind Clyde.

“Mister Gray Patch, nothing-or should I say nopony-can be blamed but me for this.”

“No.”

“Mister Gray Patch, as the guard of Ponyville…the only guard in Ponyville, it is my responsibility to ensure the safety of its citizens. The fact that Enzo has gotten hurt is my fault. I should’ve tried harder to protect him.” Clyde’s voice started to break. Gray Patch watched in dismay at the proud pony. “I failed.”

“Don’t say such a thing like that, Clyde. Nothing could’ve prepared you, or us, for what happened in that forest.”

Clyde’s eyes widened. “How did you know what happened in the forest?”

Gray Patch shrugged. “I can just tell it was certainly different.”

“Right.” Clyde looked down the now empty hallway. “But, that doesn’t excuse me for anything. Mister Enzo is in critical condition because of me. Mister Gray Patch, I am going to find out who’s responsible.”

“I wouldn’t advise doing that by yourself.”

“Mister Gray Patch, I need to-”

“Getting yourself killed won’t solve anything.” Gray Patch eyed Clyde intensely. “Enzo and Vice barely made it out alive and trust me on this, they know how to fight.”

“Mister Gray Patch, what do you mean?”

Gray Patch looked away. “Just take it slow. For now.”

Clyde brushed his mustache and shook his head. “I can’t.”

“You have to.”

~~~~~~~~~

Enzo stared at the dimming ceiling, his vision blurred from every single spot. Voices sprang from every direction and all sense of feeling was lost.

‘There is no change; a killer will always be a killer. Designed to destroy and designed to take lives was our cause. Deep down, we are all the same to our core.’ Joltaire’s words echoed harshly in Enzo’s mind. ‘You deserve death.’

“No.” Enzo raised a hoof, but was put down.

“Please, sir, stay calm. We’re going to help you.”

‘I am not a killer, I am not a killer.’ More bright lights flickered in and out of Enzo’s sight. ‘I don’t kill.’ More voices and finally Enzo felt himself lose consciousness. His eyes radiated with fear and turned into confusion. He bared his teeth as he passed out. ‘I’ve changed.’

PreviousChapters Next