• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 2,518 Views, 123 Comments

One Shot, One Chance - SpeederClaw



This is my first fanfic ever written so criticism is widely accepted. There are several OC's involved as well as the Mane 6 and various background ponies. Other than that enjoy!

  • ...
7
 123
 2,518

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: Failure of Knowledge

"Yo, normally, I would fly myself. But since you offered, and I'm injured of course, I couldn't refuse." Vice cracked up as he and Enzo sat atop Clyde who was flying majestically through the skies. The vibrant ocean of blue was all the three could see as Clyde steered towards his destination. Puffy clouds whistled by as Clyde made good use of his gargantuan wings.

"I see," Clyde spoke with no expression.

"Say, where are we going again? You said something about an apple?" Vice asked anxiously.

“Appaloosa is where we are headed, mister Vice. It is a small town just south of Ponyville,” Clyde said glancing back at Vice.

“Never heard of it. But whatever, lead on.” Vice said. Clyde continued his flight as conversation ceased. He braced himself and suddenly swooped through the cloud layer, to Vice and Enzo’s surprise. As the group recovered, a series of wooden houses lined up came into view. The atmosphere changed as well from a cool, moist sky to a scorching, dry desert. “Wow, who turned the damn heat up?” Vice commented shifting uncomfortably.

Clyde ignored Vice’s reaction and promptly landed on the soft, sandy ground. “Oh damn!” Vice had stepped off the white pegasus’ back and felt a singeing feeling as he landed on the desert sand. “Hot tamale, hot, hot tamale,” he chanted jumping up and down, stamping his hooves.

“You’ll get used to the feeling soon enough,” said Clyde strolling towards the town. Vice darted his eyes towards Enzo and noticed his stone faced expression. He wanted to make something of it, but was cut off by a loud shout.

“Welcome to Appaloosa!” A light yellowish stallion waved at the trio with his hat as his vibrant orange mane bobbed up and down. He withheld a smile going all the way up to his ears.

“What-"

“Greetings, young citizen,” Clyde said cutting off Vice’s confusion. “I am Clyde, one of Celestia’s most trusted guards,” he said grooming his mustache.

“Braeburn, nice to meet ya!” The earth pony vigorously shook Clyde’s hoof. “Oh, I can’t wait to show you guys around!” he said excitedly.

“Erm, well that’s not exact-“

“You’ll also be able to meet everypony here and see all of Appaloosa!” Braeburn ignored Clyde’s protest and continued babbling.

“Mister Brae-“

“I’ll be showin’ y’all our very own wagons, and our apple orchards, and our very own-“

“Hey, shut up, pal,” Vice said more bitterly than he intended. Braeburn’s face sagged as his ears, eyes and mouth all pointed down. Clyde gave Vice a stern look to which Vice shrugged with a half smile.

“No, he’s right,” Braeburn said looking up. “I really shouldn’t be hiding what really happened here.” Vice and Enzo exchanged nervous glances as Clyde stepped forward and spoke with uneasiness.

“Son, it’s about the train incident, isn’t it?” Clyde rested a reassuring hoof on the shuddering pony’s shoulder. Braeburn slowly nodded not making any eye contact with Clyde. “Well that’s why we’re here.” Clyde gave a nod as Vice and Enzo waved awkwardly.

“I just don’t understand why anypony would do such a thing to our little town. I just can’t.” Braeburn shook his head, but still kept his gaze on the trio. “I can lead you to the wreck, but I don’t think I should meddle with your guys’ work.” The disheartened pony motioned the posse to follow him.

“Maybe he’s just a big pansy,” Vice whispered carefully and comically to an unresponding Enzo. “Hey, what’s up? Why you so quiet all of a sudden?”

“Lots of things on my mind,” Enzo said speculating in the distance.

“What, ‘bout that girl?”

“That and, well, I was thinking.” Enzo looked up at Vice with seriousness. “What if we aren’t the only ones out here.” Both ponies followed loosely behind Clyde and Braeburn, not wanting to attract attention.

“Then we’re gonna be in deep shit,” Vice said tepidly. “Listen, you and I both know-”

“What’s that?” Clyde asked, looking back at the duo.

“Nothin’, bossman. Just lead us to the crime scene,” Vice addressed with an upbeat smirk. Clyde sighed and turned back to Braeburn. “Close call. Can’t wait for the day we get found out. That’s gonna be fun, isn’t it?” Vice joked.

“It’s going to be soon, where’s your trench coat?” Enzo said slightly alarmed. Vice’s eyes grew wide while he kept grinning, his face frozen with conflict. “Oh f-you see, you forget things! Clyde gets me all horny for action and next thing I know I forget-dammit!” Vice stamped his hooves and looked around apprehensively. His wings shook with fright, transmitting small clinks into the air. He stayed silent for a moment and didn’t blink. “I’d say I’m handicapped, but then I’d look like a pussy. Maybe, I won them-no, I earned them…by-“

“You’re handicapped,” Enzo said firmly.

“Fine, but I don’t like it,” Vice grumbled. The two ponies bumped into Clyde as the group paused their walk. Looking over Clyde’s shoulder, they saw what they had come for.

“Is this it?” Clyde said without breaking eyesight from the objective. Braeburn nodded.

“I should go. You guys know what to do, right?”

“We’ll make sure this mess is sorted out. I promise you, we’ll find out who did this.” Clyde subtly bowed and gestured for Vice and Enzo to follow. As Braeburn became a dot in the distance, the trio came up to the train and experienced the wreck fully. Multiple hulking heaps of metal lay askew near a rusty train track. The stinging smell of burning alloy filled the air. Combined with the sun’s heat, the scene was almost unbearably hot. Various guards were shuffling about. Screams and shouts could be heard as orders were barked to and fro.

Clyde boldly stepped forward to assess the situation. He spotted a guard with similar attire to himself and approached cautiously. The pony was intently scribbling notes down on a clipboard with the aid of his horn. “Excuse me, officer,” Clyde spoke stately. The pony turned around and faced Clyde with uncertainty.

“Sorry, sir, but we-oh.” The guard’s eyes widened in shock. “Sir Clyde, I didn’t know you were on this case.” Clyde waved his hoof disapprovingly.

“Please, just call me Clyde, officer.” Clyde stationed himself next to the guard and peered over to the wreckage. “I took the liberty to look into this myself. Now, can you tell me what you know about the incident?”

“Uh, yes, sir Clyde,” the guard said nervously. Clyde’s eyebrow rose slightly, but kept a straight face overall. “The crash was about six hours ago, which means it happened last night. Reports say that everypony is accounted for and that nopony was severely injured,” the guard finished keeping his eyes glued to the clipboard.

“That’s good news, indeed,” Clyde said taking in the information while rubbing his mustache. “But, the real question should be whether or not you have information regarding why or how this catastrophe happened?” The guard looked anxiously away from Clyde’s eyes.

“Sadly, we have nothing to work with. No leads, no clues; nothing. We’re shooting in the dark here.” Vice and Enzo stood still, listening in on the conversation. The guards didn’t seem to notice the duo and continued their speech. “This scene’s got almost every guard in Equestria searching around. This is the second time this has happened too!” As the guard finished his sentence, Vice and Enzo slipped away from the talking ponies. Vice led Enzo towards a secluded spot and spoke carefully.

“Feels like their jut gonna crack down on us at any sec, eh, Enzo?” Vice said jokingly with a whisper.

“I thought you said that we weren’t-“

“Joke, man,” Vice said flatly while cutting off Enzo’s protest.

“Jokes are going to get us in trouble,” Enzo muttered warily. “Why are we out here anyways?” Vice shook his head.

“I don’t know man. We’re working with the guys that I want to avoid as much as possible. It doesn’t seem right,” Vice finished wandering his eyes around nervously.

“Vice, they’re not the bad guys. They’re trying to help us. Do you realize how much Clyde’s done to-“ A chunk of metal literally tore off one of the train segments and pounded the sand with a splitting clang. Both ponies looked over and saw a dark greenish figure plop out. A faint cerulean glow lit up the yellow ground.

“Oh god, is the train birthing?” Vice screamed in terror.

“What, no-look!” Enzo pointed as the figure crawled to its feet. “It’s a pony!” The pony shook off patches of sand sticking to it and froze when it saw the duo observing. Its face was a mixture of sweat and grime as it jerked back and started to flee from Vice and Enzo.

“Hey, buddy! Where ya going?” Vice paused for a second and facehoofed. Grumbling to himself, he left Enzo with a flash of speed towards the running pony. “Enzo, go tell Cly-iiiaahhh!” Vice’s body suddenly tensed up and retracted itself. He jerked around vigorously before falling to the ground. Vice gritted his teeth and watched as the pony got farther and farther. “Ohh balls!” Vice cried in pain. “I think my body just imploded on itself.”

“Um, Clyde? Could you please come over here!” Enzo said softly and desperately.

“Dammit, Enzo come on!” Vice scowled. “Clyde, get your fatass over here!” A cloud of dust swept past Vice as Clyde landed right next to him.

“What is the meaning of-"

“Look!” Vice pointed at the pony who was now a dot in the distant sand.

“I don’t understand,” Clyde said looking back and forth between Enzo and the pony.

“Why would anyon-pony run from a terrible accident,” Vice said irritably. Clyde’s eyes lit up as he realized what Vice was trying to get at. He took flight and launched himself after the fleeing pony. Vice and Enzo watched as Clyde caught up with the pony within seconds. Clyde came upon the pony from above and pinned it down with full force.

“They told me to wait, they told me to wait!” the pony barked struggling under Clyde’s strength.

“Who’s they?” Clyde demanded with authority.

“No, no, the-the voices in my head! They are the they!” the pony stammered quickly. Enzo supported Vice as he slowly got up to all fours. Both ponies continued to watch as a flock of guards rushed over to the scene. Through shouts and hollers, the pony was making a clear statement. “It was all me, I’m the one who did these train crashes!” the pony spoke with a raspy, crazed voice.

“Geez, doesn’t take much to get ‘em to talk around here,” Vice said slyly. After an eternity of arguing, the pony was swept away by the ocean of guards. Clyde came fluttering over to the duo, smiling, and patted both on the shoulder approvingly.

“Hahaha, you boys did the royal guards a great favor! Without your help, we might not have caught the criminal!” Clyde said in a cheerful voice.

“So, my instincts were right, he was the bad guy,” Vice said, smiling himself. “So that’s it? Case closed?” Clyde nodded firmly.

“He confessed. Clearly that he was the culprit. That’s all we needed to bring him in.”

“Well, damn, that was kind of anticlimactic. I was expecting some sort of western shoot out or something.” Vice joked to Clyde awkwardly. The guard raised an unsure eyebrow, but dismissed his confusion.

“Say, you boys have been extremely helpful. I can’t express how important it was that you were here at the right place at the right time. I can rest easy knowing the crook is in a more suitable place: jail,” Clyde declared with passion. “Why don’t we take a short trip to Canterlot and enjoy the wondrous festivities there?” Vice and Enzo glanced at each other then back at the beaming Clyde.

“Might as well. It’s not like I can really go anywhere now,” Vice said still retaining his joking nature.

“Excellent, my boys! You deserve it after all,” Clyde said trotting away happier than ever. Vice turned to Enzo and whispered still joking, “I’m pretty sure he’s making an excuse to go himself. All we did was spot a dude and boom we’re on a trip to fancy town. Sounds like things are going better than expected, eh?”

“I’m still a little worried, that some guy would do something like that in a beautiful place like this,” Enzo said with distress. "And...weren't there more than one-"

“Enzo, Enzo! Don’t worry so much, Enzo,” Vice said putting his forehoof around the worried stallion's neck. “It’s time to relax and I’m ready to party up in this Canterlot.”

~~~~~~~~~~

“No, no, no! That’s wrong!”

“I don’t know what you want me to do!” Both Trixie and Blitz were outside the caravan, horns glowing. A large tub of water sat calmly in between the two, swaying slightly at times. With Celestia’s sun shining brightly through the thick forest, Trixie and Blitz argued back and forth.

“Trixie spent all morning showing you how to do it, what’s wrong with you?” Trixie said sourly. “I don’t understand!”

“I just don’t know what to do!” Blitz repeated. “I can’t do it.”

“Oh my Celestia, it’s so easy!” Trixie said turning to the tub of water. She lowered her horn and watched confidently as it started to glow a purple hue. Within the water, a single, triangular spike of ice formed. “You can’t do that?”

“No!” Blitz shouted back. Trixie sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes.

“Just focus your mind or something and you should get it. It’s not that hard.”

’Easier said than done,’ Blitz thought with panic. ’I don’t know how much more of this I can take. We’ve been doing this all day. I just can’t do this one stupid thing!’. He stopped and closed his eyes. He could hear Trixie groan faintly, but ignored it as he tried to envision what he wanted to create. A solid, concrete shape formed into his head. Blitz felt his horn glow that aqua blue as he opened his eyes and faced towards the water. With feet planted and mind set, Blitz unleashed his magic. The water started to ripple with excitement. Blitz could feel his magic working as a crackling effect split the silence. In his excitement, he almost fell over and his horn ceased to glow.

Trixie waltzed over to the tub and pulled out a pencil sized spear of ice. Gasping with sarcasm, she faced Blitz and spoke with the plainest voice. “Awesome you finally did it.”

“Took long enough, but I managed to make something,” said Blitz with rising confidence.

“Now, we move on to the next part.” Trixie dropped the icicle into the water and watched it splash harmlessly. She let her horn glow once more, smiled, and lifted her own icicle out of the water. In a flash, it was sent spiraling into a nearby tree. An unusually satisfying crunch was produced as a result. “Try that,” Trixie called to a shuddering Blitz. He stared at the impaled tree with a lifeless motivation. He moved his attention to his fragile icicle in water and shook his head.

’I’m not sure if I can go through with these things,’ Blitz contemplated with worry. ’But I guess I have to now. He lifted up the icicle with his magic and pointed it towards the tree. With a burst of energy, the icicle was shot into the tree. It barely penetrated the bark with an inaudible crack. ’At least I can do that. Trixie trudged over to Blitz’s fired shot and inspected closely. Blitz expected an outburst, but received congratulations in the form of a short hoof stomp. “Good start,” she said truthfully.

“Keep doing that and we’ll actually get somewhere.”

“Why are you doing this anyway,” Blitz blurted out faster than he could cup his mouth. Trixie eyed Blitz with ferocity.

“Have you ever been shunned by society? Hated?” Trixie snapped back with disturbing calmness. “Hmm?” Blitz thought back to when he was living with Fuzzy and realized how he had not thought of Fuzzy for quite some time. Cursing himself, he disregarded the thought and remembered how life was back then.

“Kind of.”

“Well, that’s the whole deal with Ponyville,” Trixie announced with all her heart. “It’s a wretched place where talent like mine gets ridiculed and the ponies there make fun of me. I get forced to leave because of it.” Blitz was astonished at what he was hearing.

“That can’t be-“

“It is!” Trixie screamed in agony. She adjusted herself and turned away from Blitz. “Let’s just keep practicing.”

She sounds just like me, but that’s just impossible.

PreviousChapters Next