• Published 20th Mar 2012
  • 3,440 Views, 60 Comments

Star Trek: Genesis - Planguy



Star Trek: The Next Generation meets My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

  • ...
4
 60
 3,440

Chapter 1

Captain's log, Stardate 46437.2. After receiving a high priority message from Starfleet Command the Enterprise has interrupted it's survey of the Orba Nebula. We will be traveling to the Federation science outpost in orbit around the fourth planet of the Bellerophon system. There have been some troubling reports about the nature of the experiments being conducted there and the Enterprise is being sent to investigate.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard sat at his desk in his ready room, involved in reading up on the staff of the Bellerophon outpost, when he heard a chime. "Come." He said, looking up to give his visitor his full attention.

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge entered, not making a move to sit down unless his captain indicated he do so. "Captain, you wanted to see me about the delay?"

Picard stood, picking up a PADD from his desk and looked through the data it displayed. It contained information on the scans of the Orba Nebula that La Forge wanted to perform before they left for the Bellerophon mission. The Orba Nebula was an interesting space phenomenon, relatively small in size and held together by forces not entirely understood by the scientists of the Federation, forces that seemed to have been failing for hundreds of years. It was theorized that the periodic energy discharges that were detected in the Nebula were part of what kept the Nebula stable, but the discharges were becoming infrequent and the Nebula was beginning it's final dispersion within the last few years. "No, Mister La Forge, we can spare an hour or two to finish up scans of the Nebula. Although I am curious why you thought it was necessary to request a delay in the first place. Have your scans detected something to be concerned about in the Orba Nebula?"

La Forge nodded his head and reached for Picard's PADD. He highlighted a few sections containing pertinent information, then handed it back to him. "Yes, Captain. As you can see here the long range scans that Starfleet has already done on the Nebula indicated the dispersion process it is undergoing would would be completed in about a year, but the scans the Enterprise have performed at close range indicate the dispersion process will be complete in around a month or two. The scans we're doing now might be the only ones we're going to get. I thought it was worth a small delay."

Picard looked through the data and frowned a little. "Yes, this is something to be concerned about. I'll send a message to Starfleet requesting they send a ship to scan the Nebula while we still can."

"Sir, if I might make a suggestion, I think it would be worthwhile to increase the delay to a day or two. This really is a puzzle I'd like to solve while it's still available."

Picard gave a quick smile at his chief engineer's enthusiasm, but shook his head. "I'm sorry Mister La Forge, but the delay I've already granted you is all that we can afford. The investigation of the Bellerophon facility is of utmost importance."

La Forge nodded his head in acceptance of Picard's decision. "Alright. It's a little disappointing not to be a part of the work, but once Starfleet becomes aware of the results of some of our preliminary scans I'm sure they'll be quick to send a science vessel here to finish what we've started. Is there anything else you needed from me?"

Picard sat back down at his desk and and gave a slight nod of his head as he briefly considered what to tell his chief engineer. He trusted his crew completely and he had originally asked La Forge to his ready room to inform him about the specifics of the Bellerophon mission, but what he was going to tell him wasn't something that you just jumped into. "Tell me, Mister La Forge, what do you know about Bellerophon?"

La Forge had been reading up on the system, but even without that he would have been able to easily answer that question. "It's a single star system. It's fourth planet would be M-class, that is, if it's surface didn't contain various exotic life destroying radiations that keep it a barren world. The science outpost in orbit there is studying terraforming technologies, with one of it's goals being the potential terraforming of Bellerophon IV."

"It is those terraforming technologies that Starfleet is concerned about." Picard said, tapping his PADD on his desk. "They've already made a few breakthroughs in widescale planetary terraforming techniques, and one of them was considered too dangerous to be currently usable by the Federation. Still, they went through with a few tests and the Federation Science Council had to step in."

"I heard about that. Some kind of self replicating nanomachines." La Forge said with a small amount of admiration. "Not in itself a total breakthrough, the real beauty of the system was the programming that allowed the machines to reconstruct their enviroment to be supportive of whatever ecology you wanted to import."

"A technology open to misuse, or simple accidental catastrophe." Picard said grimly. "As their own failed experiment proved. Now there's whispers that the facility is experimenting with Genesis."

"Genesis?" La Forge asked with no small amount of concern. "How is it even possible for them to get enough information about that to proceed with research? I thought it was pretty much forbidden."

"Not completely forbidden, some elements of the technology have been repurposed for it's potential to restart dead stars. However, the use of the technology to terraform planets is highly regulated and the Bellerophon outpost doesn't have authorization to study it."

"Have they developed a working device, or are they just working with small scale uses of the Genesis effect?"

Picard shook his head wearily. "We don't even know for sure that they are experimenting with Genesis, that's what we have to investigate. However, if they actually went so far as to create a working device..."

Picard pictured in his mind the potential of a fully functional Genesis Device. A barren, colorless world instantly transformed into a verdant, living world. The same device used on another world, this time a world viewed at night with countless glittering lights indicating cities scattered across it's surface. As the Genesis Device is detonated on the planets surface those lights are swept away by the resulting genesis wave, cities and the people populating them being transformed into simple life producing matter. Destruction through creation.

"Maybe this is all a misunderstanding. Or perhaps the staff at Bellerophon are simply studying the theory behind the Genesis Device and are not actually intent on constructing one. However, we must be sure. We must investigate."

***

Just minutes before the Enterprise finished it's scans and entered warp to travel to the Bellerophon system a presence approached it. The presence was sapient and it, and in the past others of it's kind, lived in the Orba Nebula. It knew it's world was growing smaller, and it was growing fearful. It was alone, normally there was supposed to be a handful of it's kind active during a given generation. When they grew old the inhabitants of the nebula weaved new life out of the light that filled their home. However, when the time came for new life and the entity was to be created it was during a time when home was dim. The elders claimed the histories communicated from generation to generation recorded such times of dimness, and they had plans in place. The entity was strong, effort was expended during it's creation to make it more robust, so that it would last the period of dimness. Also, the siblings it would have had were reduced to a single sibling created as strong as it, a safeguard to ensure their species survival and to prevent loneliness.

The siblings had existed for a long time, tending to their home and gazing out at the universe that existed outside. It was a hard existence but they found comfort in the companionship they offered each other. However the dimness of their home did not cease, there was no return of light like their progenitors had promised. The younger sibling eventually grew weak and sickly, the elder having to cradle the spark of it's sibling within it's very being, hoping that someday it would find someplace better then their home that was clearly dying and the sibling might be reborn.

Home was on the verge of complete darkness, and the entity was on the verge of hopelessness. The long period of growing darkness and loneliness as it's home died around it did not destroy the entity's curiosity, however, and the strange, solid mass of the Enterprise was a wonder to it. The entity probed it, lightly and carefully caressing it while examining it with it's many senses. Solid things weren't unknown to it, solid masses on occasion had passed through it's home, but this thing was strange. It seemed to be hollow, containing pockets of gas. It also radiated power, and seemed to move itself.

Is this thing an alien, some other kind of life? The entity wondered to itself. It had an imagination and could conceive that the universe contained others similar to itself in mind, but perhaps differing wildly in form. It tried to communicate with the Enterprise, but no signals that the Enterprise was emitting made sense to it. The entity decided that it's theory that this was some kind of strange alien was still valid, despite the lack of communication, but it also entertained the notion that this thing it had found could be probe. Technology was not unknown to the entity, but it's kind manipulated energy so a solid probe was a strange notion, but a hopeful one. If this thing was either a life form itself or a probe meant for exploration sent by some other life form the entity could find a way to ask for help. It was one last chance.

Suddenly, just when the entity was detecting a large build up of energy it found something startling. There was a spark hidden inside the solid thing that felt familiar, homelike. It would just take some folding in on itself for the entity to fit inside. The build up of energy that the entity detected from the Enterprise was similar to what it did when it jumped from one part of it's home to another, so it realized that such a build up from the Enterprise might mean it was leaving. With little time to think and a hopeful wish to it's ancestors the entity folded in on itself and easily permeated the solid hull of the Enterprise, seeking asylum within the spark it had felt. It could only have faith that whatever intelligence the solid object belonged to would look on it with kindness and generosity when it discovered what it had done. Besides, the entity was lonely, and eager to forge new bonds and find joy in the company of another once again.

The Enterprise warped out of the Orba Nebula with two unexpected extra passengers.

***

After only ten minutes into a trip that would have normally taken around seven hours the Enterprise's engines abruptly shut down. Chief Engineer Geordi La Forge began the process of figuring out what happened as engineers buzzed around him in main engineering. He quickly discovered that there was a major spike in energy consumption in the ships holodeck systems, causing an emergency drop out of warp.

"Bridge to engineering. Mister La Forge, we've just dropped out of warp. Can you tell us what's happened?" Picard's voice said over the Enterprise's communication system.

"La Forge here. Captain, I've detected a power surge in holodeck five. Somehow it drained a tremendous amount of power from our systems, doing a number on our engines in the process. It looks like I can get main engines back online in a matter of minutes but we'll only be able to limp at low warp. It's going to take us a few days to get to Bellerophon rather then a few hours."

There was a pause were La Forge assumed Picard was conferring with the other bridge officers, then he continued. "Mister La Forge, will you be able to speed up the process? It's imperative that we reach our destination quickly."

La Forge considered, but he felt his original estimate was correct. Though he did add some optimism to his report. "Sir, I'm pretty sure I can solve the problem with the engines within a day, but we'll need to have the engines offline to do a fix. That will take at least two days. It's probably faster just to travel to Bellerophon on the power the Enterprise has and fix her when we reach our destination."

There was only a brief pause on the line before La Forge heard Picard again. "Acknowledged, Mister La Forge. I'm sending Mister Data down to you, if you both can come up with a solution that will get us to Bellerophon quicker then your initial estimates implement it. Also, I want the holodecks offline for the moment while an investigation is prepared to figure out what went wrong with them. I'll leave the details to your discretion, but the engines take priority."

"Understood, Captain." La Forge got to work, motioning Lieutenant Reginald Barclay over to him. "Reg, I need you to go to holodeck five and see what's going on. The massive energy loss it caused seems to have been just a momentary event but the system is still draining much more power then it should and we can't seem to stop it remotely. See if you can fix it, and if you can't at least see if you can stabilize the situation until we can get an engineering team there to work on the problem."

Reginald Barclay suffered severely from social anxiety, but because La Forge was a friend of his he only stuttered a bit when he responded. "I-I'll get right on that, Commander. Should be a piece of cake. I'll let you and Commander Data know if there is anything important you should... know."

***

In Ponyville Twilight Sparkle had just suffered a severe headache while levitating two volatile chemicals that she had theorized could be carefully combined to form a stable compound, but which happened to form a very volatile compound when rapidly mixed. The resulting explosion covered her face in soot, made her mane a mess and turned out to be of scientific interest.

"Spike, make a note of that." She said, as she wobbled around on her hooves and had trouble focusing her eyes for a moment.

"Gotcha. Blue stuff mixed with green stuff equals explosion. Why can't science always be this interesting?" Spike said jokingly, while still using his hands to steady his boss and friend.

"Heh. Thank you, Spike." Twilight said with a smile at her tiny dragon assistants gesture of concern, before turning serious. "However, those aren't the scientific names of the chemicals that we were experimenting with. It's clear enough that it works for personal notes but We'll have to be more precise when we publish our findings. Beyond that I'm concerned about what exactly just happened."

"An explosion?" Spike said with a deadpan expression.

Twilight rolled her eyes at Spikes attempt at snark. "No Spike, I'm wondering what happened that caused my lapse in concentration. I don't normally have splitting migraines from out of nowhere. And I've suddenly got a really bad feeling."

Spike shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe it's something you're picking up with your unicorn horn? Aren't unicorns sensitive to magic stuff?"

Twilight put a hoof to her mouth and tapped it as she puzzled over that suggestion. "Hmm, maybe. Thinking about it the pain was reminiscent of a time I had thaumaturgical backlash caused by improperly accessing a leyline and causing a mana feedback loop. But simple telekinesis with magically inert chemicals like the ones we are currently working with shouldn't cause anything like that kind of reaction. So it's not something wrong with me, perhaps it's something wrong with the world? I wonder if all unicorns were affected, or just those with magical training. Ooooh, maybe the phenomenon was only noticeable to those unicorn ponies who were performing magic during the time of the event. We'll need to conduct interviews with the unicorns of Ponyville, see what they were doing during the time I sensed the disturbance..."

Sensing Twilight getting worked up, Spike tried to get her attention. "Uh, Twilight?"

Twilight ignored Spike and continued, growing upset as a new possibility occured to her. "Oh no! I just remembered that thaumaturgical backlash caused by mana feedback loops becomes exponentially more dangerous the more magically adept you are! This event could have been harmful to the Princesses, perhaps very harmful!! Spike, We need to send a letter to the Princess now!!!"

As Twilight got more and more worked up she had been invading Spikes personal space more and more until her face was right in front of his, her eyes wide and filled with fear and worry. Twilight loved and respected both of the Princesses, Celestia her mentor especially.

"Twilight! Relax!" Spike said loudly, not because he was angry but just to make sure he would get through to her. "This is the Princess we're talking about, no way is Princess Celestia going to be taken out by some magic head-", Spike was interrupted by a large burp and burst of flame erupting out of his mouth that signaled that a message from the Princess had arrived.

"Oh, a message from the Princess. Yay!" Twilight said with immense relief, successfully going from "panic" to "normal" in a second. She opened the letter and began to read it aloud. "To my most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle. You have probably become aware of an event that has left a fundamental change to our world. To normal unicorn ponies it would seem like a brief feeling of being mentally disjointed. You may have felt a pain of some kind. Luna and I will need a day to recover but we will be fine. This event heralds something I knew was coming though I did not know an exact date. A new age is coming not just for our country but for our world, and I would ask that you and your friends be the ponies that lead us into this new age. There was once a time I feared this day, but the actions of you and your friends in saving my sister proves Equestria is a nation that can proudly face that which is to come. In the trial you will face remember your lessons in friendship and that all encounters may have a peaceful solution. And know that I love you and all my little ponies. Good luck."

Spike scratched the scales on his head. "Well... that was a little cryptic. I mean, it's great to know the Princess loves us, but what are we supposed to do? I mean, I think she technically gave us the authority to do what we wanted about whatever is going to happen, but we don't know what's going to happen."

Twilight was silent. The letter was full of emotion, and Twilight felt the familiar feeling of being unsure of how worthy she was of the amount of trust and faith the Princess seemed to place in her. "Well," she finally said, "Whatever is going to happen we'll be ready for it. The Princess is counting on us. Let's gather the girls."

***

Barclay had his tricorder out, scanning his surroundings as he nervously side stepped other crew members as he made his way to holodeck five. The ship's internal sensors were having trouble scanning the holodeck, which was pretty worrisome, so Barclay was keeping a running scan going as he went. It was only when he was within 20 meters of the holodeck that he began to get some fuzzy readings. There was a powerful energy reading in the holodeck, like there was a large amount of plasma in it. Worrying that if he entered he'd be flash fried by the potential escaping plasma he removed a panel from the wall next to the holodeck's entrance to gain access to more advanced holodeck controls. The readouts he gained access to showed that the holodeck was running a program, and that though there was an extreme amount of energy in the holodeck it seemed safe to enter. Barclay tried to end the program that was running, but the external controls were unresponsive. The holodeck's safety protocols were functional so Barclay figured it would be safe to enter, but he decided it would be best to warn his superior officer before doing so.

He tapped his combadge and said tentatively, "Commander La Forge? My scans show a great deal of power emitting from the holodeck and there is a program currently running that can't be shut down. However other then that it seems to be running fine and the safety protocols are active. I'm going inside to see if I can get a better idea what's going on."

"OK, Reg. First sign of trouble get out of there."

Barclay took a deep breath to steady his nerves and entered the holodeck. What met his eyes when he entered was a rather picturesque lightly wooded area. Sunlight peeked through the branches of trees and the weather was perfect, neither too hot or too cold. Barclay shielded his eyes with his hand while taking a look upwards at the beautiful sky with a grin on his face. Despite knowing that suffering from holo-addiction he needed to be careful of such feelings he couldn't help but feel comfortable in the simulated environment of the holodeck. Though there was something a bit odd about this simulation that he couldn't quite put his finger on.

With a sigh, he decided to quit being distracted and got to work. "Computer, arch." He said, and the arch appeared giving him access to panels and readouts to better understand the situation in the holodeck. He made his tricorders scanning function supplement the holodeck's own self diagnostic function, because it seemed that the holodeck itself didn't know what it was doing. Trying to access what program was running resulted in the display spitting out a bunch of nonsense information. Barclay couldn't get specifics but some kind of large, procedurally generated program was being run. A large area could be simulated in such a fashion, larger still because Barclay was detecting that something unexplained was taking some of the pressure off the computer processes that needed to be tasked with running the simulation. All in all, the holodeck was currently hogging ship resources to produce a simulation of extraordinary complexity, but the amount of resources being used and the complexity of the simulation seemed to be at odds. The simulation should be draining way more then it was, but it wasn't.

"Reg, you okay in there? We're having some trouble keeping a read on you. You're fading in and out of our sensors." La Forge's voice announced over Barclay's combadge.

"I'm fine, commander. The amount of energy that is bleeding out of the holodeck is probably what's causing that." Barclay replied. "Sir, something strange is going on here. I'm currently standing in a pleasant simulation of a lightly wooded forest, but the amount of energy and the complexity of this simulation is astounding. I think something has commandeered ship systems to make this simulation, but I don't know why. I also can't find out what is causing all this energy that we're detecting, but I'm guessing that it is what's causing this simulation to be so complex without using up more of Enterprise's resources. The holodeck uses a comparatively small amount of Enterprise's power to keep an internal reaction going."

"Good work, Reg. Come on back and we can work on analyzing what you've already discovered. I'm a bit worried leaving you there when we have so little knowledge of what's going on."

"Hold on, commander." Barclay said, as he excitedly tapped on his tricorder. "I'm detecting some chronitons here, along with a temporal discrepancy. I think the interior of the holodeck was temporally out of sync with the rest of the Enterprise for awhile, resulting in a massive drain of energy from ship systems in a short amount of time for us, while the holodeck experienced time at an accelerated rate. That's what cause the massive power loss that resulted in us dropping out of warp. That shows us what initially caused our problem, but it also indicates that this simulation could have a subjective history of years, or even hundreds of years. I'm heading back to main engineering."

Barclay pressed a button and the holodeck exit materialized, and when he went through it the arch and the exit disappeared.

***

Twilight Sparkle's jaw dropped as the strange bipedal creature went through the portal and the portal disappeared. She and her friends had been out investigating when Twilight had detected something strange, a disturbance in the world. She thought the situation important enough to attempt a group teleport despite the fact that there would be a bit of backlash. She was happy to find that only she herself was a bit singed by the teleport, and that her friends were fine, but her happiness was interrupted by surprise as they all saw a portal open up from nothingness and a strange figure walked through it.

Fluttershy had been the first to react and she dived into a bush, and the others followed her. It seemed that Fluttershy's natural shyness was a boon in this situation because it allowed them all to observe the creature that had appeared without drawing it's notice. It was a biped with it's upper appendages ending in paws with flexible digits, like Spike's, that allowed it to manipulate a small device it held in it's hand. It was wearing clothes, a close fitting outfit of gold and black with a piece of jewelry attached to the chest. After a brief pause to apparently enjoy the forest, it had magically conjured up an arch of metal that it then started to fiddle with. The creature then had a conversation with a voice from nowhere that was surprisingly understandable despite the fact that some of the words didn't make much sense. The creature then left, causing the metal arch to vanish as well as Twilight's jaw to drop.

"Does anypony want to tell me why we were hiding?" Rainbow Dash said, her voice filled with annoyance. "This is our home, why are we walking on clouds to avoid a confrontation with some weirdo alien invader?"

"We didn't want to startle the poor creature." Fluttershy said with her voice tinged with concern. "We have to be careful when we contact... whatever that was. We don't know how a foreign animal will react to strangers. It could get scared or," Fluttershy's voice became barely audible as she let out a squeak. "or it could get angry."

"Ha!" Rainbow Dash laughed. "That thing was pretty tall but it looked about as dangerous as you, Fluttershy. No offense."

"If that was true that's a might more dangerous then I'm comfortable with, don't ya think?" Applejack said with a grin and a poke at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash stuck out her tongue at Applejack. "OK, maybe Fluttershy is more dangerous then she looks, but what are the chances that thing has a Stare?"

"Dashie, he didn't use a magic stair, he used some kind of magic door." Pinkie said. "Huh, I wonder how that magic door worked? We have to figure out where it appears next so that we know where to throw the welcome party!"

"Pinkie, darling, don't you think you're getting a little ahead of yourself? I believe the first order of business is deciding how to best initiate first contact. Isn't that right, Twilight?" Rarity said, turning to their leader.

"Hmm. That creature seemed to be exploring, looking for answers. That tool he was using seemed made for gathering information rather then being some kind of weapon. Also, his friend he was talking to seemed to worry about his well being, which we know because apparently we speak the same language. Seems safe enough to make an attempt at first contact." Twilight said after some consideration.

"Twi, are you sure it's safe, or are you letting yer curiosity about that critter get the better of you?" Applejack said uncertainly.

Twilight grinned. "AJ, I have to admit that I'm pretty desperate to find out more about our strange visitor, but I wouldn't put us into needless danger. Besides, I don't think we should assume the worst of somepony we never met."

Rarity primped her hair a bit with her hoof. "Besides, Applejack dear, it's not like we ladies are without defenses."

Applejack tipped her hat to Rarity. "Seeing as I recall you bucking a manticore in the face I'll have to agree with you there. We'll be all right."

"Alright, Everypony, listen up. Head home and gather supplies. We're going to camp here and wait for that magic door to open again so we can introduce ourselves to whoever steps through it." Twilight said in her organizer voice. "Does anypony have anything going on that will interfere with that plan?"

"No, darling. I'm free for a few days. I've just finished and delivered a shipment of dresses for Canterlot and was going to spend a few days working on dress ideas. I can just as easily do that camping with some dear friends as I could at home." Rarity said.

"There's not much to do on the farm at the moment that Big Mac can't take care of himself, and if there's an emergency this is close enough to Sweet Apple Acres that I can run on down easy as apple pie. I'm good to go, sugar cube." AppleJack said with a grin.

"Camping sounds like a blast!" Rainbow Dash said. "I'll still need to fly off to do some weather control stuff, but I should be able to do any work in, like, ten seconds."

Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie had to decline the camping trip. Fluttershy because she had her animals to take care of and that was a full time job, Pinkie Pie because the Cakes need someone to watch their foals often. They both promised to make trips to the camping site when they could. Twilight hoped that Pinkie Pie's mysterious Pinkie Sense would let her show up when she was needed, but knew better then to put her trust in the uncertain gift.

Twilight looked around at her gathered friends and gave a firm nod of her head. "Alright, everypony. We'll all head home and those that are camping will come back here to camp out tonight so that in the morning we can hopefully make first contact with an alien species. I'll bring the marshmallows."