• Published 21st Jan 2014
  • 4,885 Views, 320 Comments

Arbitration - Uberdeathninja



The Arbiter falls in battle. A force beyond even the the comprehension of his gods send him to Equestria.

  • ...
23
 320
 4,885

4: Nightmares: Derelict

The Arbiter awoke... though he knew not when... or where. As he got up, Ripa felt the low gravity of space, and soon, after looking around, found that he was standing in some kind of filthy, damaged ship corridor. It looked vaguely human in architecture, but it was filthy and looked almost... Derelict. He tried to recall how he got here, and recalled the moments before this period of time: After he and his slaves found a new camp site, and returned from a rather fruitful hunt of the local rodents and fowl, the Arbiter ate his fill, and went to sleep. That in mind, could this be a dream? Ripa thought on this for a while, and realized he was he was holding something when he tried to scratch his head. He looked at the device and fell on his ass as he leaped back at the sight of his hand: It was armored, and in it was a small, human-made weapon, some kind of pistol by its look, though the tip looked vaguely like a crossbow. Before Ripa 'Moramee could wonder how he obtained such armor and weapons, however, he heard something shuffling loudly through the vents. He made a grab for the device he discarded, and clung to it as if for dear life.

Despite Ripa's lack of knowledge of the situation, or why he was so afraid of whatever was making that racket, his body knew more about what it was doing, so he let instinct drive him as he made his way down the corridor, still gripping his new weapon, and breathing heavily in what appeared to be a clunky, but air-tight suit, human in origin, but it seemed to be fit just for him. After a while of ceaseless walking, The shuffling died away. Ripa let out a metallic sigh within his odd helmet, and he looked around, and found another hallway, leading away from this one. He cautiously proceeded away from the shuffling, all the while breathing abnormally heavy: This was the first time in a long time he felt actual fear... a feeling he thought banished from his mind a long time ago.

He proceeded down the corridor, taking a left at a four way intersection. This nightmarish corridor was coated in blood splatters and hand prints of blood, and they made the Arbiter feel both nauseous, and jealous: whatever made the ship derelict, they didn't leave any humans for him to slay himself! That was just plain rude. Upon looking further, Ripa found that the floor was stained with gallons and gallons of crimson blood, flowing like a river past his feet. Strangely there were still bodies, though few, if any, of them were intact. Ripa proceeded with extra caution as he looked around, sensing a trap from either heretics, humans, or... The Flood. It looked as if the parasite indeed passed through here, but with bodies left behind, and more blood than even THEY would leave behind, thus disclaiming his theory: The Flood tended to organize the bodies into piles, instead of tossing them about, and they certainly did not let anything go to waste, even blood. Interrupting his thoughts, Ripa 'Moramee started to hear weeping coming from and unknown source, and, against his better judgement, he proceeded to follow the noise despite the fact his every sense screamed at him to turn back and find another way.

The Arbiter followed the noise to it's source. It echoed through some kind of door, though he knew not what kind of humans would build such an odd thing: The obstacle had a ghostly blue force field around it, and there was a circular button on it that read "Unlocked", until Ripa approached it. Once the Arbiter got close enough to it, said button read: "Open?". Shrugging, the Arbiter reached for the button, but spun around as he heard something in the corridor behind him, startling him. He scanned the corridor for a moment, and when he found no source of the disturbance, he opened the door quickly, not wanting to remain in the nightmarish corridor for too long, with whatever was making that noise. The door slid open with a brief screech, and then a smooth hiss, and the once-fearless elite entered a massive room seeming to be some kind of religious sanctuary. The arbiter heard of the humans and their obsessions with religion, often possessing many different ones amongst themselves, but not one marking could he find here that he was familiar with. Instead, the prominent figure seemed to be a picture of two obelisks, wrapped around each other in a double helix. As he stepped into the room to look closer at the odd religious figure, though, the door closed behind him, the barrier around it changing to orange.

The button now read locked, and no matter how hard he slammed into it, the door did not budge. For such primitive beings, Ripa had to admit: They made very sturdy barriers. Finally, Ripa 'Moramee gave up on escape, and decied to hopefully find some kind of way out of this blasphemous chamber. He returned his focus to the room: A highly blurry apparition wept over a large body covered by a blanket on the altar in the center of the room, though neither the body, which was too large to be human, or the apparition, which was clearly female, were recognizable by the elite. Below said altar, a bowl of burning substance with a shadow that should not have been in it could be seen, burning with a dim, but fierce light, to be expected from fire. The shadow in the fire and the apparition suddenly faded, to 'Moramee's shock, leaving him in the darkness of the room, to his own fears. He swore he could hear whispers coming from behind the altar, so, the elite decided to look, despite having just literally seen a ghost. What was going on here? Could he not control his own body?! Finally, he approached the large body, and tore the white sheet off. Immediately, he gasped at the horrifying sight; for upon the altar, lay... his own body! WHAT A TWIST!!!

The body was about as well preserved as he had expected from humans. Ripa never did understand their need to take care of the dead so well. While Ripa lamented on what could have happened to cause such a paradox, a nightmarish, proboscis-like limb rose from behind the altar, and violently drove itself into the cadaver's skull. In response, the body convulsed violently for a few minutes as he took aim for the defiler's limb, hoping to destroy it before any further damage was done. He pulled the trigger, and a small blade of plasma shot from the weapon's crossbow-like tip, instantly severing the debase creature's limb, and causing it to fall fell dead, twitching once as it fell. However, The body still convulsed, long after the disgusting creature had been slain. Suddenly, two new bladed limbs erupted from the body's back, and it's skull split to become an extra set of mandibles, beoming a horrible, empty maw, full of long, sharp teeth, like someone had ripped his face in two, and jabbed broken shards of bone into it. It rolled off the far sided of the altar, only to burst back up, letting out an unholy roar that could be matched only by the sound of the parasite.

The abomination leaped over the altar, and Ripa lunged out of the way and rolled to his feet. It was sadly in vain, though, as the terrifying zombie got to it's feet and charged him, swatting him aside with relative ease. The device, the Arbiter's only protection from the abomination, clattered away from him as he flew, but Ripa was a born fighter. If this chunk of rot and bile wanted a peice of him, it was going to have to fight for every single scrap! Ripa charged the hulking beast, and it screamed in dismay as he got low, tackling the abomination, and tearing its legs off. Now crawling, the horrible thing that once resembled him could only look up, facing the Arbiter with eyes that were no longer alive, and Ripa stomped down on its head, killing the aberration instantly. Ripa 'Moramee grunted as he removed his armored hoof from the mess of gore he created, and sighed. He knew that this was a dream, but that didn't stop him from feeling exhausted. He didn't know what was going on here, but he didn't like it, and he wanted the dream to end. Suddenly, though, a loud crash resounded through the room, and a giant, bulbous monstrosity, similar to the one he just fought, but fatter, burst through the door that was locked only moments before. Before the elite could react, though, the behemoth stabbed a long scythe through him, and the monster picked him up, and cut off his waist. Ripa cried out in pain as the beast severed his arm. Everything seemed to slow down as the unholy creature reared it's debase appendage back for a finishing blow. Strangely, this was not what Ripa noticed. What had his attention was a demonic staff, the likes of which he had never seen before, propped up in the corner. There was also a bloom of nightshade at it's base. He could have sworn it wasn't there before. Then again, he also could have sworn it just winked at him. Time sped back up and he saw the calcified blade of the monster aimed like a bolt for his skull.


Ripa woke with a start. It was about the same time he would wake up under normal circumstances. Most of the nightmare was crystal clear Except for the part with the monster. The staff was the only clear part of that scene. What could the dream mean, if anything? Perhaps he needed to see a dream reader... Or a psychologist...

Author's Note:

So I've decided to throw in a few little sub-stories to progress the main story. Let me know what you think.