• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 2,548 Views, 116 Comments

Red Eye - Fonypan



After an undead creature attacks Apple Bloom, Princess Celestia sends Fluttershy to attempt to reform the assailant. That brief contact leaves an irreversible mark on Fluttershy's life. Follow her descent into a whirlwind of misery and despair.

  • ...
18
 116
 2,548

Session 23 - Love is Watching Someone Die




Timpani moved her needle with the utmost precision. Her brow furrowed in concentration, she completed the last in a series of sutures. The procedure was complete — she has successfully re-attached the torn leg of a doll.

“Be more careful with her from now on,” said Timpani. She gave the toy back to its owner.

“I will! Thank you, Doctor Timpani!” said Glitter Blast. She bounded out of the clinic with her newly repaired toy.

The years of travel had been hard on Timpani. Now an adult, she looked tired all the time. Even when she wasn’t. Purple dye had become difficult to come by in her travels, and so her mane had long since returned to its naturally orange coloration.

Timpani’s boss, Doctor Primrose, watched the filly leave with a bemused expression. “You’ve got a real talent for sutures, but you fix more dolls than ponies.”

“That’s a good thing. Dolls don’t feel pain.”

“True. Speaking of dolls, word is you stitched together a live pony from pieces of dead bodies.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“No need to be shy. Everypony in Reignton knows about that ‘roommate’ of yours.”

“What?”

“Word travels fast in a small town like this. Now, I’m not scared like the others. I’m just wondering how you brought it back to life. The medical applications of that sort of magic… Think of the lives that could be saved!”

“I didn’t make her that way. She’s been undead for longer than I’ve even known her. All I did was patch her up so she doesn’t bleed everywhere.”

“So you don’t know how to reanimate dead ponies?”

“No.”

“That’s disappointing.”

“She’s not really alive, you know. At least not in the way we understand life. She tells me undeath is very painful.”

“I suppose it’s for the best, then.”

“Yeah.”

“You can go home early, if you want. I’ll still pay you for the full day, but I don’t think anypony else is coming by. I’ll send for you if I’m wrong.”

“Thank you!”

“Here’s your pay for this week. Enjoy your weekend!”

“Thanks, you too!”

Timpani accepted the bag of bits and left the clinic. Though she’d only been in Reignton for two weeks, everypony recognized her. She did her best to ignore the stares, but all the unwanted attention made her uneasy. Timpani ducked into a fabric shop, happy to be separated from the townsponies.

Clothyard looked up from her novel to acknowledge Timpani’s presence, but didn’t say a word to her. Timpani offered a friendly smile, but didn’t receive one in return. Clothyard went back to her book, and Timpani browsed the fabrics for sale.

For such a small shop, the variety of prints and patterns was impressive. There was little in the way of solid yellow, however. Timpani found herself eyeing two bolts of fabric. One labeled ‘daffodil’, and the other labeled ‘cream’. She felt the material. Neither fabric was very durable. These were suitable for dress-making, or light curtains.

Timpani left the yellow fabrics behind. She searched the store for something, anything more solid. There was nothing to be found. Not one roll of fabric suitable for so much as a heavy coat. Timpani selected the cream-colored cloth and brought it to the counter.

“Three yards, please,” said Timpani.

Clothyard looked up from her book. “Is this for that thing?”

Timpani scowled. “She’s not a ‘thing’, she’s my friend.”

“Whatever you say, doc. Your money’s as good as anypony else’s.” Clothyard put her book away, then retrieved her tape measure and scissors. She measured and cut three yards of fabric, then folded it up and put it in a bag for Timpani. “Six bits.”

Timpani paid for her purchase and accepted the bag of fabric. Clothyard went back to reading as soon as she dropped the six bits into her till. Timpani left the store, a bit irate for the clerk’s rudeness. Still, she was happy to have the fabric.

Timpani also went by the general store for some groceries and sundries on her way home. Her saddlebags loaded down, she made her way back to her shack on the edge of town.

An ugly, wooden eyesore stood up amidst a sea of unruly grass and wildflowers. It was the last remaining remnant of Old Reignton. The structure had been spared replacement or remodeling only through the former owner’s stubbornness.

With the old owner refusing to maintain the property and nopony else willing to constructively vandalize, it had fallen into extreme disarray. After the old owner died, it was to be demolished. Had Timpani and Red Eye not shown up, it would have been. It was the closest anypony in Reignton would tolerate Red Eye.

Timpani waded through the tall grass. She worried, as she did daily, that she would reach her front porch covered in ticks. Once Timpani got closer, she noticed a pony standing in front of her window. She trotted towards the nosy stranger.

“What are you doing?” said Timpani.

“My job,” said Sheriff Goldstar.

“Your job is looking in my window?”

“I’m keeping an eye on that pet monster of yours.”

“She’s not a monster. She’s a pony, like you or me.”

Goldstar laughed. “Who are you trying to convince? I saw that thing’s eye.”

“She’s not dangerous. Princess Celestia said so herself.”

“Yeah? Well Princess Celestia isn’t here right now. Unless she shows up, I’m the law. I’m keeping my eye on both of you. If that thing goes nuts, I’m going to put it down and arrest you for having it. I’d better not see it wandering around town, either.”

“Thank you, sheriff. I feel so much safer with you here,” said Timpani.

Sheriff Goldstar glared at Timpani, then walked off towards town. Timpani entered her home and found Red Eye curled up in the corner. Large sections of Red Eye’s body were covered in patches of random fabric. Timpani had kept her in one piece with whatever material she could find over the years. Red Eye’s artificial skin was covered in dirt, holes, and blood stains.

“Welcome home, Timpani,” said Red Eye.

“Hey, Red Eye!”

“How was work?”

“Good! I got paid today, and I bought you something special.”

Red Eye stood up. Her face was drenched in blood. “You shouldn’t have.”

“Have you been crying?”

“Yes…”

Timpani moved to hug Red Eye, but Red Eye backed away. “What’s the matter?”

“I heard what the sheriff said.”

“Pfft. That blowhard? I won’t let her hurt you. I promise.”

“I’m not worried about me. I know I’m holding you back.”

“Where did you get a crazy idea like that?”

“None of the towns that ran us off would have a problem if not for me. You could have found a home by now. Even here, they made you live in a dilapidated house on the edge of town, and now the sheriff is giving you trouble.”

“We’ll find a place, some day. I know we will.”

“No, Timpani. There is no place for me. Go, find yourself a home and ponies that care about you. I’ll crawl into a cave and wait for the world to end.”

“I’ll never leave you behind. You’re my friend!”

“You’re my friend, too. That’s why I can’t stand what I’m doing to you.”

“It’s not your fault. It’s these close-minded ponies we keep trying to live with. I know we can find a place more accepting.”

“I don’t think we can. This is the closest we’ve ever come to acceptance, and they still treat me like a monster and you like a madmare. If you were traveling alone, you wouldn’t have any problems.”

“I’ll never abandon you, Red Eye. Even if we have to travel for the rest of our, well, my life.”

“I know you’re trying to be a good friend and help me. This is me being a good friend and asking you to leave me behind.”

“We may not even have to leave. Perhaps the ponies here will warm up to you in time.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Well, not with that attitude. Know what might help?” Timpani took the yellow fabric from her saddlebag. “I bought you some new ‘skin’.”

“Timpani, you shouldn’t have.”

“Nonsense! I wanted to.”

“You’re so sweet.”

“What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t take care of you? Hang tight, I’ll get my sewing stuff and replace those rags you’re wearing.”

Timpani put the groceries away, then retrieved her sewing kit. Red Eye waited patiently for Timpani to get her things together. Finally, Timpani returned with her sewing kit. She used a small pair of scissors to delicately snip the sutures connecting tattered cloth to Red Eye’s face. She was cautious not to cut Red Eye’s skin whilst doing so.

“Do you think you could ever be more than friends with a mare like me?” said Timpani.

Red Eye was silent for a long moment before responding. “This isn’t a good idea, Timpani. I’m dead.”

“But you can still feel. Don’t tell me I’m the only one who feels the bond we’ve built traveling together.”

“I care about you, too. That’s why this can’t go anywhere. I’ll never be a whole pony again. You deserve somepony warm, at the very least. Somepony you can cuddle without bloodying the bed.”

Timpani finished removing the last of the sutures from Red Eye’s face, leaving her gaping maw exposed. She reached up and stroked Red Eye’s remaining cheek. “Everypony deserves to be loved, and I want to be the one to love you. I don’t care how cold you are, I can be warm enough for us both.”

Red Eye shivered. A stream of blood poured down the inside of her cheek, onto the floor. “You are amazing, Timpani. If you’re sure you want to do this, I think I can be your special somepony.”

Timpani smiled. “Kiss me.”

“What?”

“If we’re special someponies now, let’s kiss.”

“We can’t! I’m poisonous!”

“Yes, you’ve told me about the little fish. I don’t mind if I get a tummy ache.”

“What would I do if you died? Please, don’t kiss me.”

“The amount of poison it takes to kill a school of minnows probably won’t even affect a grown pony.” Timpani hooked a foreleg around Red Eye’s neck and leaned in close. “A first kiss is something very special. I don’t care how sick I get. It’ll be worth it.”

“I do care! Timpani, please reconsider! This is dangerous.”

“Shhhh. Just relax.”

Timpani pressed her mouth to what was left of Red Eye’s mouth. The kiss was awkward, at best, thanks to Red Eye’s lack of a lower jaw. Despite having only one lip to smooch, Timpani tried her hardest to make it work.

Red Eye trembled. Her stomach tied itself in knots out of worry. The feel of Timpani’s tongue swabbing her palate did little to abate the fear that she would accidentally kill Timpani.

Timpani finally broke the weird kiss and shakily stepped back. Red Eye’s blood dribbled down her chin. She was panting like she’d just run a marathon. She looked exhausted, and she could barely remain standing.

“Breathtaking.”

Timpani’s eyes rolled back in her head. She collapsed in a heap on the floor, and started convulsing. She thrashed on the floor, but made no meaningful attempt to move. Red Eye dove to the floor and embraced her.

“Timpani! Please, don’t leave me! I need you to live! I love you! I can’t go on alone!”

Timpani didn’t respond. Red Eye could feel her heart beating irregularly, and also extremely fast. After a few seconds, Timpani went still. Her rapid-fire pulse came to an abrupt stop. Red Eye tightened her grip on Timpani, and began to cry.