• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 2,546 Views, 116 Comments

Red Eye - Fonypan



After an undead creature attacks Apple Bloom, Princess Celestia sends Fluttershy to attempt to reform the assailant. That brief contact leaves an irreversible mark on Fluttershy's life. Follow her descent into a whirlwind of misery and despair.

  • ...
18
 116
 2,546

Session 11 - Is This the Way You Watch the Body Die?




Applejack stood perfectly still, scarcely breathing. Rarity worked meticulously to put the final touches on Applejack’s makeup. She double- and triple-checked, then stepped away with a smile.

“Well? Tell me, darling. Do you love it?” said Rarity.

Applejack tilted her head from side to side, examining Rarity’s work. “I gotta tell ya, Rare. I was skeptical about those fancy make-up skills of yours, but I really do look good.”

“Skeptical? Why on earth would you be skeptical?”

“I was worried you’d make me look like you. Not that you ain’t beautiful, it just ain’t my style. But this you just did, this is great.”

“I know my friends. As much as I’d love to fancy you up, I think you’d have a heart attack if I did.”

The two mares shared a laugh, then left Applejack’s room. Big Macintosh was waiting outside. Applejack gave him a hug.

“It sure was sweet of you to put off your trip until after the weddin’,” said Applejack.

“I wouldn’t miss your special day,” said Big Macintosh.

“Why are you moving to Appleloosa, anyway?” said Rarity. “That’s a bit far.”

“Yeah, you never told me, neither,” said Applejack.

Big Macintosh blushed. “Reasons.”

Applejack’s lips curled in a knowing smile. “Uh huh. Tell him I said ‘howdy’ when you get there.”

“Eeyup.”

The trio made their way outside, where some of the guests had already gathered. Mostly Applejack’s family, but her friends and their families had come as well. The younger ponies, and Winona, played in the orchard. The adults stood around and talked.

Fluttershy stood near the Apple family home, alone. She turned towards the sound of ponies walking behind her. Applejack grimaced at the sight of Fluttershy’s eyes, but said nothing. Rarity looked around, eyeing the gathered guests.

Applejack got within whisper-range of Rarity. “How do I communicate with Fluttershy? Do I have to speak in braille?”

“Braille isn’t a language, it’s a— wait, what?” Rarity sighed. “She’s blind, she—“

“I can hear just fine,” said Fluttershy.

“Oh. Uh, sorry,” said Applejack. “I heard about your eyes goin’ bad, and all. I meant to come visit you at the library, but I’ve been busy plannin’ for the weddin’."

“It’s all right,” said Fluttershy. “I’m glad I could be here today.”

“Twilight and Rainbow Dash still aren’t here?” said Rarity.

“They’ve got time,” said Applejack. “Prairie Song and his family ain’t gettin’ here until the next train comes in.”

“Twilight’s been pretty sick. Rainbow probably won’t wake her until the last minute,” said Fluttershy.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Yes, I’m sure that’s exactly why they’re late.”

“You don’t think Twilight’s really sick?” said Applejack.

“I’m sure she is. I just don’t think a tummy ache is what’s keeping her in bed all day.”

----------

“Come on, Twilight. We’re going to be late!” said Rainbow Dash.

Twilight Sparkle stumbled down the stairs. She nearly fell twice. “Sorry. I’m coming.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t go, after all. You’re really not looking good.”

“Nonsense. I wouldn’t miss Applejack’s wedding! Where’s Fluttershy?”

“She went ahead with Rarity and Sweetie Belle. Come on, let’s get you to a doctor.”

“I have an appointment on friday, remember? I’ll be okay. I’m just tired because the cramps kept me up all night.”

“You’re sure you still want to go?”

“I appreciate the concern, but we can’t miss A-App…“

Twilight fell to the floor with a thud. Her hooves scratched at the floor in a vain attempt to get up. She panted and wheezed with increasingly labored breaths. Rainbow Dash rushed to her side and tried to help her up.

“Twilight! Are you all right?”

Twilight attempted to speak, but could only manage a weak groan. Rainbow hoisted Twilight onto her back and charged out the door. In a full-blown panic, she barely stopped to consider that they were expected somewhere. Rainbow ground to a halt at the sight of a colt.

“Hey, kid!”

“It’s Chip Mint. Whoa, what’s wrong with her?”

“I don’t know. Hey, how would you like to make five bits?”

“Okay, sure!”

“I don’t have it on me, but I’ll pay you as soon as I get back from the hospital. Do you know where Sweet Apple Acres is?”

“Sure I do!”

“Great. Get there as fast as you can. Tell Applejack that Rainbow Dash sent you, and that Twilight collapsed, so we can’t make it to the wedding.”

“I can do that! Wow, this is the third time this week somepony has paid me to deliver a message. I should become a courier!”

“That’s great, just go!”

Rainbow Dash stuck around just long enough to make sure Chip Mint was headed in the right direction, then spread her wings and took off. She flew towards the hospital as quickly as she could without losing Twilight.

Rainbow hit the ground in a full sprint and opened the front door of the hospital with her face. She charged past the reception desk, all the way to the urgent treatment center.

“Help! Please, help! My fiancée collapsed!” said Rainbow.

“What happened to her?” said the doctor.

“I don’t know! She’s been sick for two weeks. She had an appointment scheduled for friday, but she just collapsed today! Please, save her!”

A pair of nurses rolled a gurney up next to Rainbow Dash. They moved Twilight from Rainbow’s back to the gurney, then started to roll away. Rainbow tried to follow, but the doctor placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“I need you to stay in the waiting room for now. Okay?”

“But—“

“We’ll do everything we can for her, I promise. I just need you to sit tight in the waiting room and let us work.”

“A-all right.”

Rainbow Dash returned to the waiting room and took a seat. She did her best to remain calm, but couldn’t keep her breathing steady. Her mind would accept no distractions. Nothing could take her thoughts away from worry. Rainbow buried her face in her wings and quietly sobbed.

----------

Later that evening, Twilight Sparkle awoke. She opened her eyes to see Rainbow Dash standing next to her. She tried to sit up, but Rainbow placed a hoof on her chest.

“Don’t try to get up. Just rest,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Have you been crying?” said Twilight Sparkle.

“Yeah. I was scared.”

“What happened? Where am I?”

“You collapsed, so I brought you to the hospital. Just in the nick of time, too. The doctor told me you nearly…” Rainbow sniffled. “I’m glad you’re awake. How do you feel?”

“Tired, and a little sore. What’s wrong with me?”

“I don’t know. They had to give you a blood transfusion. I offered my blood, but they said it wasn’t compatible.”

“A transfusion? Are you sure?”

“That’s what they said.”

“But why?”

“I didn’t ask. This medical stuff goes over my head. I’m just happy you’re alive. The doctor can explain in the morning.”

Rainbow mounted the bed and gave Twilight a hug. Twilight did her best to return the gesture without dislodging the IV in her foreleg. Nurse Redheart entered the room and politely cleared her throat.

“I hope this isn’t a bad time,” said Nurse Redheart.

“Oh, not at all,” said Twilight. “But can you tell me what happened to me?”

Redheart removed Twilight’s empty IV bag and replaced it with a full one. “Heart failure, brought on by an unknown toxin. We resuscitated you and removed all traces of the toxin from your system, but the damage is done. You have degradation in multiple organs, particularly your heart and liver. You’ll recover to an extent, but much of the damage is permanent. We’ve placed you on a donor list, but the donor pool is pretty small. Not many ponies suffer accidents that leave their organs intact. And given your blood type, well…I wouldn’t hold my breath.”

“What do you mean, an unknown toxin?”

“Something nopony at this hospital has seen before. A sample has been sent to Canterlot for testing. Whatever it is, it’s extremely lethal and mildly corrosive. Even the trace amount we found nearly did you in. A larger dose would have killed you in seconds.”

“How would I even come into contact with something like that?”

“I was hoping you’d know. Do you remember eating anything strange? Being bitten by something? Perhaps you stepped on something sharp? It has to have entered your bloodstream somehow.”

Twilight Sparkle racked her brain for any relevant event. “No, nothing out of the ordinary has happened to me recently.”

“Very strange. Hopefully the specialists in Canterlot can figure something out.”

“How long until I can go home?”

“You can check out at any time, but I’d recommend you stay here for at least a few days. You’ll need to stay in bed for at least a week. Don’t drink any caffeine, and don’t do anything…” Redheart looked at Rainbow Dash. “Strenuous.”

“No more jogging. Got it,” said Rainbow.

“For how long?” said Twilight.

“Indefinite,” said Redheart. “You’re in a fragile state, and you will be until we find you a suitable donor. Caffeine can shut down your damaged liver. Anything that gets your heart beating too fast can kill you. You’ll also have to avoid staying up late.”

Twilight sighed. “I guess that means no more all-nighters studying.”

“Absolutely. Your next all-night study session could be your last. You have limits, now. Just take it easy. If you pace yourself, you can still lead a normal life. I’m going to finish my rounds. Ring the buzzer if you need anything.”

“Thank you.”

Nurse Redheart turned and walked out of the room. As soon as she was gone, Rainbow Dash kissed Twilight on the nose.

“Are you going to be all right only reading sixteen hours a day?”

“I suppose I have to be. I’ll get used to it. Gosh, so many books unread. What if I don’t have time to read them all?”

“Shh. None of that. You have plenty of reading left in you. The bookworm I fell in love with would take this in stride.”

“Thank you, Rainbow. Um…will you stay with me?”

“Of course I will. I don’t mind to sleep here.”

“No, I mean after this. When I’m out of the hospital, do you still want to be my special somepony?”

“Well, yeah. Why wouldn’t I?”

“You heard what the nurse said. I can’t do anything strenuous. That means we can’t…you know. Maybe not ever again.”

“That’s the farthest thing from my mind right now.”

“Really?”

“I love you, Twilight. I just want you to be all right. I can live without sex, but I don’t want to live without you.”

“That’s so sweet. I love you too, Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow kissed Twilight on the lips. “After I clear the sky tomorrow morning, I’ll bring you some books so you’re not bored.”

“You’re the best, Dashie!”

Rainbow smiled. “You know it!”