• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 2,545 Views, 116 Comments

Red Eye - Fonypan



After an undead creature attacks Apple Bloom, Princess Celestia sends Fluttershy to attempt to reform the assailant. That brief contact leaves an irreversible mark on Fluttershy's life. Follow her descent into a whirlwind of misery and despair.

  • ...
18
 116
 2,545

Session 05 - Swimming in the Smoke




A thousand shades of orange danced amongst the trees and throughout the outer edge of Ponyville. The Everfree Forest, outside the care and maintenance of ponies, had suffered a long drought. In the heat of the summer sun, the dehydrated vegetation took flame. The fire spread quickly, engulfing much of the forest and a small stretch of Ponyville.

Twilight Sparkle gazed through the library window with a worried expression. The early evening sky was illuminated and tinged orange by bright and abundant flames. Dark clouds of smoke rolled up from seemingly everywhere. Rarity wedged in beside Twilight, mashing cheek-to-cheek with her to get a better look.

“It’s awfully intense out there. Do you think everything will be all right?” said Rarity.

“I don’t know,” said Twilight. “The pegasi are working their hardest to put out the fires, but there’s only so much that rain can do. They have it contained, at least. Your boutique should be safe, though you’re still welcome to stay the night here.”

“Thank you. I believe I will! Fire or no fire, it’s been entirely too long since our last sleepover. Perhaps Spikey-Wikey could join us this time. Where is he, anyway?”

“He went to check on Fluttershy. The fire was spreading towards her end of town.”

“I hope the poor dear is all right!”

“Spike’s a dragon. A little fire won’t bother him.”

“I meant Fluttershy.”

“She’ll be okay. My number one assistant wouldn’t let anything happen to her!”

----------

Fluttershy found herself in a small clearing, with flame to every side. She had braved the fire with the intent of leading animals to safety, only to find that the animals had long since fled. Her courage evaporated quickly in the heat of the forest fire.

Spike dashed through the woods, running as fast as his stubby little dragon-legs would carry him. His only guide through the inferno was a trail of hoof prints in the dead grass and dusty, dry dirt. He soon spotted Fluttershy and broke into a full sprint.

“Fluttershy!” said Spike. “Come on, we have to get out of here!”

“No, I can’t!” said Fluttershy. “There’s too much fire! There’s no way out!”

“Come with me, I’ll get you out safe! We’ll just go back the way I came in!”

“It’s too narrow, I’ll get burned! Let’s stay here until the fire goes out. It’s safe here.”

“No, it isn’t! There’s too much smoke! One of these trees could fall! We have to get back to Ponyville!”

Spike grabbed Fluttershy by the hoof and made a futile attempt to drag her. Fluttershy leaned away from Spike and flapped her wings. The two of them managed to go nowhere, neither able to summon the strength to move the other.

“Come on Fluttershy, stop fighting! I’m trying to help you!”

“No! I don’t want to die!”

The base of an old maple tree began to give out. The telltale cracking went unheard over the mighty roar of the flame. While the two friends struggled, the tree leaned ever further to one side. The dry, dead wood finally gave way, and the burning tree was felled by its own weight. Spike had the misfortune of standing just where the timber fell, and was smashed beneath the mass of burning wood. The tree also pinned Fluttershy’s left foreleg and left wing.

Fluttershy shrieked in agony, and struggled against the weight of the tree. Her efforts put strain on her leg and wing, and did little more than bring her further pain. Neither the tree nor her flesh would give, leaving her trapped. Fluttershy screamed herself hoarse in between fits of coughing, but there was nopony around to hear her.