• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,454 Views, 208 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 2: Earth Pony - Jeweled Pen



The second book showing the fight between Avatar Twilight and the powerful Water Nation. With a new enemy appearing, will Twilight and her friends stand a chance?

  • ...
11
 208
 3,454

Chapter 27: Underground Encounters

“How's your chest?” Rarity asked while she watched the resting Blueblood. The three had managed to make it back to their shop and were now waiting for the panic to cease. The stallion remained tightly bound in bandages, though fortunately they remained clean and free of blood.

“Good,” he said with a light wheeze. “Are you sure we'll be safe here? What if they come looking for you?”

“I'm sure it'll be fine,” Rarity said before she turned to look out the window. Below in the streets, ponies ran back and forth in panic, trying to avoid any sinkholes. Across the street she could see the remains of a bakery, the only part of it still above ground was its giant novelty loaf of bread, though even that was half under the cursed water. “Everypony was so busy, I doubt they had more than a second to notice me. I was just another white unicorn, this city has dozens.”

Celestia walked in, carrying a small basket of pastries. “I've brought some grass and berry cakes. I hope you two aren't planning to starve yourselves.”

Rarity's stomach growled at the mention of food, forcing her cheeks to light up. “I, ahhh, I could eat. Is everything well below?”

“No guards have appeared, if that's what you mean. However, I'm afraid if we do come under suspicion, Blueblood is our best bet. As a fire bender.” Her gaze shifted to the stallion. “However, considering your current state, we wouldn't wish to--”

“As far as I'm concerned, you two are just normal unicorns. Not a bending bone in you,” Blueblood said before he slowly sat up, cringing at the pain shooting through his chest. “I could really use a few of those cakes.”

“Here,” Celestia said before she sat down and began spreading them out. “Once this attack has finished, we'll likely suffer a visit from the guards. Fortunately, all paperwork involving us at the hospital was likely destroyed in that sinking. With all the chaos, hopefully they'll believe it was an attacking soldier and not a respectable worker at this tea shop.”

“Hopefully,” Rarity said with a sigh as she held one of the cakes in her hooves. “We can always run if they come for us. We're getting pretty good at that.” She took a bite of her cake, sighing in contentment at the warm dessert.

------

“Hold on yah varmints!” Applejack yelled while she galloped down one of the tunnels, chasing a pack of the Water Nation's soldiers. Her friends were keeping up as best they could, though even Rainbow was having slight trouble keeping up while grounded. “Yah!” she yelled before stomping her hoofs down, a rock falling down and blocking the infantry off.

With their exit suddenly blockaded, the ponies turned and readied themselves to fight. Rainbow jumped into the air and flew at them in the narrow confines, her wings flapping rapidly as she sped past the group and crashed into the startled soldiers. They scattered like bowling pins, landing hard as the others collapsed on them with a fervor. Within seconds, the Water Nation ponies were hogtied on the ground.

“Wow, these guys are really easy to take down,” the pegasus said with a chuckle. “I'd almost think they want to get captured. You know, if I wasn't so awesome and able to take on a dozen by myself.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Your lil princess friend ain't among them. None of them are earth benders, either. Just a few runna the mill Water Nation earth ponies with 'em.”

“They must of only been able to recruit a few,” Twilight said before she looked over their prisoners. “Still, I don't feel safe knowing there are any down here. We haven't found the sources of these sink holes either. We still have a lot of work to do.”

“Well, ah can feel a bunch more ahead. Whole herd a them. We'd best... Fluttershy, gosh darn it. Will yah stop helpin' them?”

“I'm just making sure nopony was hurt too much, sorry,” the pegasus said with a hung head. She stood over the helpless soldiers, tending to any bruises or bleeding wounds.

“Fine, yah done?” After a nod from Fluttershy, Applejack stomped her hoof and a dome of rock encased the captured ponies. “That oughta hold 'em until we get back. Come on!” The ponies nodded and galloped off to the end of the tunnel. They skidded to a stop as their mouths fell open.

Eight water benders stood in front of another of the underground rivers. They chanted softly as hundreds of gallons of water was lifted into the air. It turned dark blue as it flowed towards the roof, moving as slow as syrup. It branched off into multiple thick tubes of cursed liquid, spreading out and penetrating the dirt above.

“Look at that... how many homes do you think they've destroyed already?” Twilight asked as she held a hoof over her mouth.

“From the looks of it? Quite a few. That's a lot of water they're sending up there. Probably more than one of these groups, too,” Rainbow said as she scanned the roof. “I'm going in.”

“Wait!” Applejack snapped before grabbing the charging mare. “We don't even know what that water there will do. That's some dark magic they're using, and ah for one don't wanna get it all over mahself.”

“Applejack has a point,” Twilight said with a frown as she stepped forward. “Rainbow, you go into the air and try to cut some of the tendrils off with your air bending. I'll use my fire bending to destroy some of the others. Applejack, I'll need you to go in with Pinkie to try to take the benders out while we have them distracted. Fluttershy, stay back. There's no telling what will happen if that stuff gets on us. We might need your healing. Everypony ready?”

Confident and ready with a plan, the ponies nodded and charged. Sadly, like many of their plans, it only lasted a few seconds. Rainbow and Twilight took to the air and charged at the liquid, the latter's horn glowing with red flame. Fire and wind tore through the air at the tendrils. Before the attacks could hit, the waters pulled back, avoiding the assaults and then whipping right at them. The two fliers eeked and tried to twist around to avoid them, but Twilight was too slow to avoid it and the end of Rainbow's tail was caught. Slowly it spread up the pegasus's tail and latched onto her body. Within moments, both were dragged into the syrup like water, flailing their hooves as they tried to break free.

“Looks like we caught the avatar, her highness will pay us--” the unicorn was cut off from a swift buck to the back of the head. The others let out startled shrieks as the two earth ponies descending on them, tearing into their confused ranks. As the water benders fell, the tainted water began to wiggle and writhe, before finally collapsing and spreading throughout the chamber.

Pinkie and Applejack were buried in the liquid, struggling as best they could against its grasping suffocation. Rainbow tried flapping her wings as fast as she could, but the resistance was too much and she couldn't make the slightest of breezes. Applejack waved her hoof around as dirt and stone slashed through the water, but it instantly reformed itself, refusing to release them.

Twilight shook her head, struggling to free herself. She was unable to make the smallest flame and when she opened her eyes, the enchanted water made them burn. However, the split second allowed her to see her friends, struggling against the liquid.

Fluttershy ran over, her eyes wide as she stared at her drowning friends. She reached out to pull the water away, but the moment she touched it, the water began slide up her hoof. She tried pulling away, but it refused to release her. Inch by inch it pulled and climbed her, allowing her one final scream before she, too, was absorbed.

The five ponies struggled against the binds, their movements getting weaker and slower as the syrupy prison denied them the oxygen they needed. The few water benders remaining moved away from the trap, grinning wide.

Suddenly, a bright light flooded the chamber. The water melted around the ponies, dropping them down to the ground as they gasped and wheezed for air. Twilight floated in the air, her eyes glowing with a brilliant light as her crown formed on her head and the necklaces formed around her friend's necks. The water splashed across the ground, now clear and harmless. Her head whipped around to look at the water benders as they panicked. They fell on their stomachs, hooves over their heads. “We surrender!”

With a small smile, the ground shot up and enveloped the ponies, binding them to the floor. Her work finished, the alicorn lowered to the ground, her crown disappearing as the necklaces did the same. Her eyes returned to normal once again. She toppled to the ground, gasping for air.

“T-that... that s-stuffs a d-doozy...” Applejack said with a wheeze. She was spread out on the ground, chest rising and falling with every rapid breath.

“H-hate... w-water benders s-so much,” Rainbow said as she laid on her side.

“I-I don't w-wanna go on that r-ride again,” Pinkie said with a moan.

“Just... just need a little rest,” Fluttershy said gently, her eyes closed.

“O-okay girls.” Twilight tried to stand, but fell back down on her stomach. “Just... just catch our breath. O-once we do, w-we'll find the rest of these... rest of these benders. We can... we can do it... whew.”

------

Rarity laid on the edge of Blueblood's bed, nervously watching the door as her aunt walked away. “So... ummm... I'm happy you're feeling better. I... uhhh... about my sister...”

He cringed. “W-what about her?”

“She's really not like this. Normally... well, she wasn't. She used to be the kindest, sweetest, most adorable little filly you'd ever imagined. But now she's...” She struggled to find the right word.

“A monster?”

“No! Well, yes. But this is not who she is. It's Discord's fault. He's corrupting her and... and I intend to free her. I'm sorry for whatever she did to you, but I swear she's a good filly at heart.”

The stallion sighed and lowered his gaze. “I... I guess. I can't really judge her. I've likely done worse. No, I've definitely done worse. Just... that's a lot to thrust on a pony in one day.”

“Yeah. I didn't intend for you to find all that out, well, ever,” Rarity said with a shy smile. “I just kind of panicked when you tried to, ummm, kiss me.”

The stallion blushed as he lowered his head. “I... I see. I guess... yeah. I understand why you'd reject me. I mean, I guess I'm not... yeah.”

“I... I haven't exactly... rejected you. I just kind of panicked. I hadn't, errr, I've never... listen. It's not that I don't like you. It's just that right now I... I have a lot of things I have to do. I've never really thought of... anypony like that. Aside from a little... crush somepony had on me, nopony has thought of me like that either.”

Blueblood smiled. “Oh? I couldn't understand all of that, but I did understand you saying you aren't rejecting me.”

“Well, yes, but that's not quite--”

“Nope, I'm not rejected! That means I'm going to keep on trying.”

“W-what?” Rarity slid off the bed and took a step back. “I told you I'm not ready, I can't right now. Maybe in--”

“Nope. I'm sorry, but there is no way I'm giving up.”

“But--”

“Nope. Not happening. I've never met a mare like you, and I doubt I ever will. I won't give up until I make you mine,” he said with a confident grin, refusing to accept any refusal.

“I... you... it... GAHHHH!” she shook her head and stormed from the room. She trotted downstairs, her eyes narrowed. “I swear, stallions are so infuriating sometimes! You tell them one thing, they decide on another!”

“Mmmm hmmm. Would you like some tea?” Celestia asked before she used her magic to pull out a chair across the table from her. “Sit and talk to me about it.”

“Ughhh! Well, first he decides he's going to keep...” As the princess talked, occasionally rolling her eyes or waving her hooves in frustration, the elder unicorn merely smiled and nodded. She never looked away, watching her niece with great interest.

------

Applejack slammed her hooves down, encasing more water benders in thick stone prisons. The dark blue water coated the ground, though they managed to avoid it this time. “I think that's the last of 'em.”

“At least, the last of our area,” Twilight mumbled as she rubbed her chin. “Though it worries me that we haven't seen any earth benders since.”

“They probably ran with their tails between their legs once they realized we were here,” Rainbow said with a chuckle. “I know I wouldn't want to mess with me.”

“I hope so,” Twilight said as she looked down at the small prison. “You're sure you haven't felt any ponies going around?”

“Eeyup. If that lot had tried goin' around us, I'da felt it,” Applejack said with a smirk. “The lotta them probably high tailed it out the way they came, left their water benders tah keep causing problems.” The smile turned to a frown. “Though, that ain't exactly a good thing.”

“Why?” Rainbow asked with a smirk. “That just means a bunch of water benders we don't have to beat up later.”

“Applejack's right,” the alicorn said with a shake of her head. “What it means is that they think they have so many water benders they can afford to lose some of them here to us. Judging by the numbers we saw before, that's true. The damage they've done to the city, not to mention the pollution they've done to the water, is a lot more damaging to us than the loss of water benders is to them.”

“Well, I guess if you wanna look at it like that,” the pegasus mumbled. “Come on, lets keep going.”

“Ah think we're almost to the hub. Ah can feel a buncha earth ponies comin' up,” Applejack said before motioning with her head.

“So there are ponies on the hub?” Pinkie asked with a grin.

“Ah guess yah could say that. A lot of tunnels too. Ah don't feel any more a them unicorns.”

The five stepped out from the final tunnel and entered a massive chamber. A long pillar of rock stood in the center, surrounded by a number of large tunnels as well as small rivers flowing in and out through smaller, lower tunnels. The remaining three groups of earth benders were standing there, waiting at attention. As the avatar's group came closer, the earth ponies stared, though soon they looked confused. “Where's Commander Sapphire?”

Twilight shuffled her hooves as her gaze shifted downwards. “She was... there was an attack. We were attacked by earth benders and the commander of the Water Nations army. In the scuffle, she fell into the river tunnels and we were unable to retrieve her. We're hopeful she'll catch up with us.”

The ponies watched her for a few moments. Eyes narrowed to slits, jaws were set. Anger seemed to billow over them at the loss of their commander. “You just left her behind?”

“We couldn't go after her in the river,” the alicorn said before she motioned back. “We had to stop the water benders or they might have gone after her. She's a powerful earth bender, we trust her to return to us. For now though, we've captured a number of water benders and other soldiers. We'll need to take them to the prisons. How did your groups fair?”

“The city is safe, for now,” one of the soldiers said as she stepped forward. “We'll need to make some repairs to the filtration system, but it should be finished before we get desperate. We'll have to run patrols through here to ensure the water benders can no longer return.”

Twilight nodded before she glanced back. “We'd best return and report all that has happened. We have a lot of prisoners to take back as well. Who will return with us to the surface?”

A few hooves were raised as ponies stepped forward. The ground began to rumble and then raise towards the world above.

------

“--They then used the water to puncture through the soil and begin sinking homes from below,” Twilight said as she stood in the throne room, staring up at the emperor. “Without water benders, I don't think there is any way to dispel it. I was unable to even fight it without entering the avatar state, and the rest of us were hopeless in its grasp.”

“It's true,” and earth pony said from behind her. “Some of ours were captured in it. It was only after some... colorful threats, we were able to make the water bender free our comrades.”

“This is... disheartening,” Fancy said with a shake of his head. “To imagine. Earth benders, betraying their country to help the Water Nation. It is truly a sad day. On top of all that, to lose Sapphire...”

“It pains me to say this but,” Photo said with an upturned nose. “For all her... lack of style and finesse, Sapphire was a loyal and powerful soldier. She will be missed.”

“I never thought I'd live to hear the day YOU'D say that, you flea ridden pack mule,” Sapphire said as she limped into the throne room. She was soaking wet with pieces of mud dangling from her mane, but she was alive.

“Sapphire, you're okay!” Fancy yelled and jumped to his hooves.

“Of course, your highness. It would take a lot more than a simple river to take me out,” the mare smiled and stomped her hoof. “I'd never allow myself to disappear in such an awful and tacky manner. I'd leave such things to Photo.”

Photo narrowed her eyes. “Why you--”

“What happened? Where were you?” Twilight asked before galloping to the earth bender. “We feared the worst when you didn't arrive.”

Sapphire smirked as she stood as tall as she could and flashed a dazzling smile. “I was tumbling through that filthy water just trying to get my bearings. When I finally managed to shoot myself out I was plum exhausted, but I'd never let that stop me. Turns out the river took me right out of Fillydelphia. It wasn't too easy getting back. Even with my spectacular skills and talents, getting around that army out there wasn't easy. I considered going under them, but with those earth benders who knows what would come dropping on my head. Sorry my delays had all of you worried. But you really should have known it would take more than that to take me down.”

“Wonderful! Simply wonderful!” Fancy said with a hearty laugh as he sat up from his throne and clapped his hooves. “Please, feel free to rest as long as you need. However, once you're ready I'll need you back to monitoring the filtration system. I trust you'll be up to the task?”

“Of course. I think after a quick shower and a short nap I'll feel simply seeeeeensational! I'll get straight to work as soon as I'm able. Could somepony give me a briefing on everything I missed?”

“Wonderful, wonderful,” the emperor said before glancing to one of the soldiers. “Go with the commander, inform her of all she needs.”

“Of course!” the pony said before he galloped after her. The door closed behind them as the two trotted down the halls through the palace. “We managed to clear out all the water benders and other soldiers the Water Nation sent.”

“Sensational. So all the sink holes throughout the city have stopped?”

“Of course.”

“The water benders, where are they now?”

“They're in the prison with the others we've captured. They won't be a threat for a long while.”

“Good, good.” A grin flashed across her lips as she opened the door to her room. Her eyes flashed purple for a moment as she stepped inside. “Come in. Is there anything else I need to know about?” She waved her hoof and the door closed behind them.

“The majority of our patrols are stationed underground. The Water Nation will have no way of coming through them again.”

“Oh, that's wonderful news,” Sapphire said as she moved to the back of her room.

“Yes, the same trick won't work twice.”

“Oh, no. Not because of that.”

“Ma'am?”

“Because, dear friend.” She reached back and took his hoof, smiling softly to him. “Because the emperor has already fallen for it.”

The stallion looked confused, before letting out a gasp of pain as his body locked up and he crumbled. Scootaloo stood over the pony and glanced towards the bathroom. “He's down.”

“Well done, Sapphire,” Sweetie said as she stepped out from the bathroom. “Is everything going as planned?”

“Yes, your highness,” Sapphire said with a bow. “I trust our agreement still stands?”

“Of course.” Both mare's eyes flashed purple for a moment. “Now that so many of my troops are within the city, it's time. The invasion of Fillydelphia will soon be complete!”