• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,442 Views, 208 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 2: Earth Pony - Jeweled Pen



The second book showing the fight between Avatar Twilight and the powerful Water Nation. With a new enemy appearing, will Twilight and her friends stand a chance?

  • ...
11
 208
 3,442

Chapter 14: Consolidating Forces

The sun slowly rose from the east, casting its warm, life granting glow across the town of Sweet Apple Acres. Despite the early time, ponies had already awoken and were moving through the town, greeting each other and going about their business. Crowds of carriages were making their exits from the town as a semi-mass exodus took place. Amongst the crowds, the young white princess, with a staff across her back, went unnoticed.

Rarity headed straight towards the town's inn, milling through the crowds as best she could. The building was packed almost shoulder to flank, as ponies gathered their breakfasts before either heading back to their rooms or out into the world. After bumping into a number of guests, she made it to the front counter and gently rung the bell.

“Huh?” a green unicorn mare asked looked up from her papers. “Sorry, are you checking out?”

“No, I'm looking for somepony. Do you have a Jademane staying here? Older unicorn, clear mane, white coat?”

“Ummm... let me check,” she said as she pulled out a number of papers. “Sorry, it's our busy time right now. What with the tournament ending and the avatars visit.”

“The avatar? She's here?” Rarity shrieked as she put her front hooves on the counter. “Where? Can I see her? Which room?”

The green mare gulped as she tried to hide, unsuccessfully, behind her clipboard. “I-I don't know. She was here yesterday, but I don't know if she's still in town. I'm afraid we don't have a Jademane staying here. We booked up rather quickly last night, however. Perhaps she stayed somewhere else?”

“Yeah yeah,” Rarity said as she glanced towards the doorway. “The avatar, here, I could finally... no!” she shook her head. “Bad timing. Pony's lives are in peril. I can track her down later. Are their any notes or messages left here for a Diamondeye?”

The green unicorn just stared. “Miss, are you okay? I uhhh.... huh. Well, actually. There is one note, ummmm, hold on.” Her horn glowed as a small envelope was dropped on the counter. “Here! Have a wonderful day!”

“Thank you!” the young princess yelled back as she took the note and slowly navigated out of the crowded lobby. She heard somepony say the word avatar, and her body froze. She nervously bit her lower lip as she glanced to a few ponies chatting about the alicorn, but quickly shook her head. “Focus. Not now.” She forced her way out of the lobby before peeling open the envelope and gingerly removing the letter.

The page was blank, except in the center where some very, very small letters were written. She frowned as she leaned in, squinting her eyes as best she could. “Aunt, what is wrong with you? Now is not the time for codes,” she grumbled as she moved the paper ever closer as she struggled to make out the words. She cocked an eye as realization dawned on her. “Boo? What is-”

“BOO!” a mare's voice said as the paper was shoved away. Celestia stood, a few inches from the young princesses face.

“GAHHHHH!” Rarity screamed as her horn glowed and she whipped her staff around, smacking her aunt in the side of the head. “Aunt? AHH! I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!” she shrieked as she nervously hopped around her fallen aunt, horror etched into her face. “I didn't mean, I'm so sorry, you scared me, please be okay, please! I'm so sorry!”

“It's... It's quite alright,” Celestia groaned as she slowly wobbled her head back and forth. “Just... just need to rest a moment.”

“There's no time. I came back because... we need to talk in private. This... this is something... there are no words,” the princess said as she looked left and right. “Here.” She held out her hoof to help the elder pony up.

“I take it your... talk with your sister didn't go well?”

“You... you knew?” Rarity asked nervously, her gaze lowering.

“I am a light sleeper. If... you wished to make such a decision, I had no right to stop you. I am happy you have made the right choice, however,” Celestia said as she leaned on her niece and the two walked off to the side of the street.

“The Water Nation knows where the remaining fire benders are hiding. Sweetie intends to eliminate them. They are hiding in a place known as the Everfree Forest.”

Celestia's eyes widened slightly. “The... Everfree Forest? That was... That is a strange, magical place. Our world and the spirit world are very close there. Trixie used the magic there to...” she shook her head. “If the ponies are hiding there, that will buy us some time. However, we must move quickly if we wish to save these...” she paused as she looked down at her niece. She slowly wrapped her hooves around the young mare and smiled.

“W-what? What is it?”

“I'm proud of you, my niece. You are quickly becoming the very mare I always knew you would be.”

“W-what? I'm not, what are you talking about?”

“Nothing,” Celestia mumbled as she slowly pulled back and glared towards the south. “We must move quickly. Countless lives depend on us. Come along.”

Rarity nodded as she slowly followed alongside the elder mare. “How is your head feeling?”

“The throbbing will pass. I've been hit by much harder things. Still hurts less than one of the late general's speeches.”

------

Twilight trembled helplessly as she sat on the large couch. A small paper bag was held to her mouth, as she slowly took deep breaths into it. Finally, she lowered it and looked around. “O-okay. I think I'm good. No more attacks. N-no more stress. I'm calm.”

“Well, that's good,” Spike said with a shrug. “Now we can at least focus on the giant fleet likely on its way to eliminate the fire benders. How about- come on!” the dragon snapped as the mare struggled with another attack, nearly popping her bag.

“O-okay. I think... I think I'm good,” the alicorn squeaked. “F-for real this time. We need to move fast, though. I need allies. If the Water Nation is heading there, the Everfree Forest won't protect them forever. I need to get them somewhere farther from their lines.” She glanced to Applejack. “How far is Fillydelphia from here?”

“Not too far,” the earth pony mumbled.

“Okay, here's the plan. Rainbow, you're our fastest. I need you to go to Cloudsdale.”

The pegasus nodded with a smirk, before freezing. “Wait, what? Don't you mean Fillydelphia?”

“No. I'll head there with Pinkie and Fluttershy. I'll try to convince them to let us bring the fire benders there. But, in the mean time, we'll need the air benders. Their flying and forces will be needed to help evacuate everypony. Without them, the casualties will likely be... higher,” she mumbled as her gaze lowered. “The earth benders will have to go around the forest as it is. If the air benders come, they will be able to fly over Everfree. They can then help evacuate or ambush the Water Nation.”

“But what about you? Without me by your side-”

“We'll be fine. I'm sure I can make do for a week or so without you. We'll meet up again at the forest,” the alicorn said as her gaze lowered. “Please. You're the fastest pony I know. If any pony can get reinforcements from them, you can. Speed is of the essence here.”

The pegasus growled, but slowly nodded. “Fine. I'll meet you there. You better not be late, understand?”

“Of course, Fluttershy, please help me up,” the alicorn said as her yellow friend moved to her side. “I'll leave immediately. We'll head into town and join with the other ponies heading to Fillydelphia. Perhaps we can get some pony to help us get there faster.”

Rainbow nodded as she turned and galloped out the door, taking off into the sky. Once she was gone, the avatar turned to their hosts. “I'm sorry we had to cut our trip so short. Applejack, Big Mac, Granny Smith, it was a pleasure. I wish we could leave under better circumstances, but I'm afraid I don't really have much choice.” She bowed her head as she slowly trotted towards the door, leaning heavily on Fluttershy. “Your kindness and generosity will never be forgotten.”

“Mmmm hmm,” Applejack mumbled as she slowly walked after them. She stopped at the door, watching as Pinkie hooked herself to the cart and began trotting off. The mare leaned against the frame as she watched them leave, a soft sigh escaping her lips. She turned around and smiled to her brother. “Well, let's go an' get yah back up tah bed. Got a bitta time before yah can walk again. All this excitement an' walkin' around can'ta been good for it.”

“Eeyup...” the stallion mumbled as he narrowed his eyes on her for a moment, before nodding.

------

“What do you mean, they're lost?!” Sweetie screamed at the top of her lungs.

“T-they're gone, completely,” a unicorn stallion squeaked as he kept his gaze lowered. “W-we sent the scouts ahead into the Everfree Forest, none returned. We don't know what happened to them, but they should have returned ages ago, your highness.”

The young mare paced back and forth in front of her soldiers, occasionally glancing at the mediocre numbers. Even her tank was still suffering from severe damage, a thin trail of smoke spilling from the top. “Then what are our options?”

“Whatever you wish, your highness,” the stallion said quickly. “But, I would advise that we head around the forest. Our messengers have likely arrived by now, so when we reach the valley there should be a sufficient force awaiting your command.”

“That'll take forever!” Sweetie snapped as she trotted towards the woods and looked up. “How can the lot of you be frightened of just a few trees?” She stopped on the edge of the forest and shook her head. “Cowards!” She walking inside, past the first few trees.

“Your highness! Please, come back, that's dangerous!” a voice yelled from ahead of her.

“Oh, calm yourself coward. I've only walked a few feet inside, I... I... huh?” the unicorn stopped as she looked around. She turned around and started walking again, but didn't burst out from the woods. “Where is... HELLO?” she yelled.

“Your highness! Where are you?” the stallion's voice came, though it sounded farther away.

The young mare gulped nervously as she hugged her tail to herself. “Where... what magic... GET ME OUT OF HERE! TEAR THESE WOODS APART IF YOU HAVE TO, BUT GET ME OUT!” she screamed. Something snapped behind her as she whipped around, but in the darkness she saw nothing. “H-hello? I-Is anything out there?”

------

Twilight's mane kept twitching as she looked down the road. Their cart was one of almost a dozen. Once they made it to town, ponies had almost tripped over themselves to get the privilege of pulling their cart, and quite a few had quickened their plans so they could have the honor of traveling with the alicorn and her friends. She would have felt honored, but all she could think about was the force slowly coming closer and closer to the few remaining fire benders. Fluttershy never left her side, continuously maintaining a healing glow over the limb as they traveled.

With nothing left to do, she rolled onto her back and gazed at the sky, her body still occasionally twitching. She sighed at the almost barren tapestry of blue, the only marking a single large white cloud. “How long will it take?”

“We've only just left,” Fluttershy said softly as she gently stroked the leg. “Just stay calm. We have plenty of time. Just focus on getting better. At this pace, you should be able to walk when we finally get to Fillydelphia, though your leg will still be a bit tender. Do you have any plans to get them to agree?”

“Not a one,” the alicorn grumbled. “I guess I'll just ask the ruler for help. I'm not sure how Earth Kingdom politics work. If we can get permission to hold my ponies there... well... I don't think the Water Nation could take it. A hundred years ago, this kingdom was known as one of the most powerful and impossible to crush. I don't think much has changed since then. If I can get everypony there, they'll be safe... won't they?”

“I'm sure they will,” the pegasus whispered gently.

“That, or they'll just say buck you and tell you to take care of yourself,” Spike said with a chuckle. A quick glare from all three ponies, and a bunny, made him cough nervously. “B-but, errr, you're the avatar. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help you.”

“Exactly!” Pinkie said with a giggle as she trotted besides the cart. “Besides, we already spent so much time getting the sun and moon back in order. It would be sooooo boring if it all got screwed up now and we had to fix it.”

“Boring, right,” Twilight grumbled as she glanced to her friend. “Sometimes I'd love to visit inside your mind.”

“You wouldn't last five minutes,” the earth pony said as she hopped along. “Don't worry Twilight. I'm sure everything will be okay, and when am I ever wrong?” The mare's smile slowly faded into a frown. “Well... aside from those few time. But I'm sure I'm right this time. Probably.”

“I wish I could be as confident as you,” the alicorn grumbled.

------

Sweetie let out a gasp of relief as the trees behind her were finally cut aside. A swathe of destruction had been sliced through the woods by her soldiers. She frowned as she took an unsteady step across the fallen tree life, nervously glancing back at the bushes and trees that seemed so intimidating only moments before. She made her way from the foliage until she was just a few feet from the exit, at which point she made an undignified dash out. The mare then turned to the forest which had held her prisoner for what felt like hours.

“None of the scouts have returned?” the unicorn asked.

“None,” the soldier reiterated. “Shall we send more?”

“No,” she said quickly. “These... I thought that prince of theirs had been exaggerating, but it seems not,” she turned south. “We'll go around. Once we've gathered enough of our forces, we'll invade slowly. We'll cut each and every one of these trees down if we have to, but those benders will be mine.”

“Of course, your highness,” the stallion said as he turned and scrambled off.

“Sweetie, are you okay?” Scootaloo asked once the soldier was gone.

“I... I'm fine. There was nothing in those woods that could- eep!” the unicorn gulped as both her friends moved in to give her a tight hug.

“Yah don't have tah lie tah us,” Flowerbloom said with a smile. “Ah know it couldn't ah been nice bein' trapped in those woods. Yah were awfully brave, not cryin' out or nothin'.”

The young mare let out a sigh before looking around to ensure none could hear. “I heard things in there. Listening. Watching. I don't know what is in these woods, but it's terrifying. Nothing touched me but... I swear it wanted to. I'm certain if we tried to navigate through, we'd lose most, if not all our soldiers. We'll have to cleave our way through.”

“Are yah sure? Won't that slow us down an' be really tirin?” the earth pony asked.

“Perhaps. But, the longer we take the better the chances of the avatar coming to stop us,” Sweetie mumbled as her gaze lowered. “After I allowed that pony to escape, well... I imagine she doesn't know we're expecting her. She'll have no idea that she's walking straight into a trap. If it takes us a bit longer, well, that'll just make her think she has more time to ambush us. All the better when we snap closed on her and show her the true might of the Water Nation.”

“What if she doesn't come in time? Or at all?” Scootaloo asked.

“Then she'll be able to add a new title to her list. Avatar, the last fire bender. It has a nice ring to it, does it not?” Sweetie asked with a snicker as her eyes glowed purple.

“Your highness, everypony is ready to depart,” the stallion said as he made his way over and bowed. “We await your orders.”

She nodded. “Of course. We leave immediately! As soon as we meet with our main force, the invasion and end of the fire benders begins!”

------

Days passed slowly until, finally, Twilight's destination was within sight. Giant walls of dirt and stone towered over the plains they traveled, nearly as tall as the mountains themselves. As they came ever closer, she could make out small dots on top of the battlements. At first she imagined they were birds, until one jumped off and descended towards them, a piece of the wall shooting out to catch her and carry her to the ground. An earth pony. It took almost a full minute for the descending pony to slide down from the great height. She finally landed in front of the carts and pulled a clipboard from her side saddle.

“Okay, everypony line up. My name is Ms. Harshwhinney,” the mare yelled. Twilight jumped down from the cart, cringing slightly. She quickly trotted towards the mare. “We'll need to ask some identification questions before we allow you through. No foods are allowed inside the walls, so if you have them, you'll need to dispose of them out here. Any benders please step forward and identify yourselves for additional screening. If you have a... yes?”

“Listen, I'm sure this is all really important,” Twilight said quickly as she gingerly tapped on the mare's shoulder. “But I really need to talk to your ruler immediately. Ponies lives are in danger, and I must negotiate with him, or her.”

“Mmm hmm, of course you must,” the mare mumbled without even looking up. “Now, if you'll all line up an-”

“Ms. Harshwhinney, I'm sorry but I must insist. You see, I'm the avatar and-”

The earth pony rolled her eyes as she looked up from the clip board. “Of course you are. Now, I'll give you congratulations on the fake horn. It does look quite real, but you'll need to wait in line like everypony else. You-”

Twilight twitched as she flapped her wings once and a burst of wind shot out, nearly toppling the mare over as her clip board went flying. A moment later a burst of flame shot from the alicorn's horn, flying over the mare's head. “I am the avatar and this discussion cannot be delayed. Every moment I waste is another second the Water Nation gets closer. Do you understand?”

The brown coated mare stood there, her mouth hanging open as she stared. “You're... you're the avatar. You're... you're the actual...” her eyes twitched slightly before she turned and galloped towards the wall. “Open the wall! The avatar has come! She's here! She's actually here!”

“That was kinda cool,” Spike said with a chuckle as he hopped from the cart. “Why didn't you just burn up the clip board though? It would have been even cooler!”

Twilight gasped. “W-what? Why would I ever do such a thing! I mean, sure, it would have demonstrated my powers, but imagine all that paperwork the poor mare would have to do? Not to mention if there were multiple hours or even days of work on there. It could send the entire system into disarray, panic, anarchy, chaos!” she shrieked as she clapped her hooves on each cheek. “T-the madness!”

“Nevermind,” the dragon grumbled as he rolled his eyes.

“How is your hoof feeling? Any pains?” Fluttershy asked as she moved forward.

“It did twinge a bit when I jumped from the cart,” Twilight mumbled as she looked it over. “But it feels great other than that. Your healing was wonderful, Fluttershy. Thank you. Come on.” The large group of carts and carriages made their way towards the wall as a large crack formed up the entirety of it, before slowly parting. Ms. Harshwhinney trotted back quickly. “Avatar, you and your escort may go inside where you'll meet with our commander. Everypony else, you still must go through inspection.” A loud awwww filled the air as the alicorn gave them a guilty smile before trotting on ahead into the city.

Off in the distance another, slightly shorter, wall stood blocking off the inner city. The alicorn flew into the air a few yards to get a better view of the surrounding area. The portion they were in was filled with miles of farm land. Fields of apples, corn, lettuce, cows, and pretty much everything she could imagine spread out on all sides as far as she could see. Hundreds of ponies were working away, gathering the needed foods as they were put on the backs of others to be hauled into the inner city. She landed a moment later, her mouth hanging open. “Wow,” she whispered as her mouth continued hanging open. “You could survive forever in this place.”

“Well that's what we were kinda going for!” a loud voice called out from ahead of them. A dazzling pale gold earth pony mare stood in front of them, wearing the brightest white poofy outfit the avatar had ever seen. “A pleasure to meet you Avatar, I've heard all about you from my men! Simply Seeeeennnnsational what you did to those water benders down in Cloudsdale!” the mare said as she walked over and took the alicorn's tender hoof, shaking it firmly.

“Ow, ow ow, p-please stop. That hoof is hurt,” Twilight squeaked. “M-my name is Twilight Sparkle. A pleasure to meet you, miss... ummm?”

“Ah, right. Allow me to introduce myself!” the mare said as she brushed her blue man back. “My name is Sapphire Shores, the dazzling commander of the Earth Kingdom's army! A pleasure to meet you,” the earth pony bowed politely.

“You are? Wonderful!” the avatar squealed as she clapped her hooves together. “Everything is going so well! We need your help and... errr. Actually, I think I need to talk with your ruler. This is all kind of... really important. How long would it take before I could meet with him, or her?”

“Him,” Sapphire said with a frown. “I'll see what I can do! However, the king is quite busy with the city and all that! If you'd like to-”

“I'm afraid we can't wait long. We need to act, immediately,” Twilight frowned as she looked to the ground. “Please, I must speak with him, the future of... so much, depends on it.”

The pony let out a sigh before shaking her head. “I'll see what I can do, but his highness really is quite busy. Runs the entire joint, you know. If you would please explain what exactly it is you need him for?”

Twilight sighed before taking a deep breath. “Well you see, there is a single group of fire benders still remaining, despite the Water Nations efforts to stomp them out. This group has been hiding in a place known as the Everfree Forest and have been the ones responsible for the raising of the sun each morning. Unfortunately, the Water Nation has found them and is on their way to eliminate them, for good. The forest is too close to the lands they now control, so our only hope is that they can be removed from there and brought somewhere safe. I would like to formally request that the Earth Kingdom give the last of my people safe haven from the Water Nation.” She shook her head as she came up for a quick gasp of air.

Sapphire nodded her head as they walked. “Seeeensational! An entire tribe of fire benders? We'd heard rumors about the reappearance of them since the sun first came up. To imagine, an entire tribe! The last of the fire benders...” she nodded. “I see. We'll help.”

“You will?!” the alicorn shrieked, before lunging forward and hugging the mare. “Oh, thank you thank you thank you!”

“Hmph. Overstepping your bounds. I see,” a voice snapped from their right. A light blue earth pony with a pure white mane slowly trotted towards them. She wore purple glasses over her eyes and a white and black dress. “What would his highness think of this, hmmm? I, Photo Finish, shall have to report this.”

Sapphire sneered. “Photo. I am doing no such thing. As the commander of the Earth Kingdom's forces, his highness trusts me to-”

“Direct battles, yes,” the mare snapped. “Offers his kingdom as sanctuary? No.” She glanced to the avatar, before looking back to the glamorous mare. “I will bring this to his highness's attention. Run along, you. Do whatever it is that you do. Go, go.”

The earth pony growled, before turning and trotting away. The alicorn looked nervous. “Does... that mean, we won't get help?”

“What? No!” the mare snapped. “His highness, he is, as we say... fabulous. He is the magic that keeps the kingdom going! But, we cannot perform our duties without him, no?” the mare said as she adjusted her glasses. “I am the Photo Finish, commander of the Dai Li. Come!”

“The Dai Li?” Twilight asked as they trotted towards the large inner wall. Pinkie let out an excited squeal from behind them as she hopped along.

“Yes. The elite force that helps to protect the kingdom. We keep all things in the city working well, and-” the mare stopped suddenly as the inner wall slowly parted. She snapped her hoof forward. “Fabulous.”

Twilight's mouth fell open yet again. While the outer city was all farm land, the internal city was made up of thousands of tall square homes. The streets were wide, but filled to the brim with carts and ponies. Tall pillars supported tracks that ran throughout the city, on which stone vehicles and carts flew at rapid paces. Earth ponies in flowing brown robes worked both the tracks and the street, trotting around quickly.

“W-wow,” she whispered as she stared. “How do you... how long did it take to create all this?”

“Time? Nonsense!” Photo said as she began trotting again with a flick of her tail. “We, earth benders. We create cities in the blink of an eye! With poise and dignity, we craft entire empires!” the mare said as she held up a hoof. “Come. The emperor, he waits.”

Twilight nodded quickly. “O-oh, right. Sorry, coming!” she squeaked as they quickly trotted through the city. Each step met with jostling and shaking as ponies struggled to get by in the crowded streets.

“Twilight!” Spike shrieked as he was quickly being carried away by the waves of crowds. He was plucked from the hordes by Twilight's telekinesis, before being dropped gently on her back.

“Are you okay?” the alicorn asked softly as she continued trotting, moving her wings up slightly to protect the baby dragon.

“Yeah, why is it so busy here?” he asked as he held onto her mane.

“Is it not obvious?” Photo asked as she kept trotting. “This is the center of our kingdom. The pillar upon which all stands. Glamorous. Radiant. Magnifique. All ponies come from miles away to see the glorious city. Refugees, most.”

“Refugees?”

“Many cities were lost in the hundred years past. Our emperor is kind and generous. A star!” Photo said as she raised a hoof high. “He turns none aside. None!”

Twilight let out a sigh of relief, followed by a shriek as she was almost knocked over. “I-I see! Wonderful, I guess that means he'll be more than willing to help us. When will... oh. O-oh my...” she froze once again as they turned a corner and the palace came into view. Carved of stone and jewels, the multi-floored structure towered over the guards that surrounded it. Statues of golden griffins stood in front of the main entrance, their bodies poised as if to pounce. Massive stone statues of guards ponies, so life like she swore she saw one flinch, lined the walls. A red, velvet rug covered the stairs leading towards the main entrance.

“Is beautiful, is it not?” Photo asked with a smile. “Glorious, radiant. A home fit for a glorious emperor, no?”

“No... I-I mean, yes, w-what was the question again?” Twilight eeked. The crowds died down as they got closer, but the moment she stepped on the bottom end of the rug, a voice yelled out.

“Freeze! None pass-” an earth pony yelled as she stormed forward.

“Silence!” Photo interrupted. “This is the avatar, do you not see the wings? The grace? The magnificent poise?!”

The mare eeked and froze, skidding across the carpet a few feet. “M-miss Finish! I'm sorry, I didn't realize they were with you. Please, come along. My apologies, miss,” the mare said quickly. A moment after the group passed she blinked a few times. “Wait, avatar? That's the...” she shifted her eyed and watched as they left, before immediately darting towards the nearest guard. “Psst! The avatar is here! I totally saw her! I talked to her and everything!”

------

Twilight slowly walked through the long marble hallways of the castle, occasionally glancing left and right. Large tapestries of earth ponies in all manners of garments hung on the wall. Ponies with strong, powerful backs, fierce gazes and determined postures. Guards wearing brown robes were stationed at every door, allowing them inside. It wasn't long before they were led to a large chamber, with tall marble pillars and a throne of powerful oak. Sitting in the throne was a large white stallion, who was chatting to yet another robed pony. His eyes broke away for a moment, as he turned towards the arriving ponies. “Photo? What is the meaning of this?”

“His highness, Emperor Fancy Pants,” the mare said as she bowed her head. “I, Photo Finish, have brought troubling news and a request for an audience from none other than,” she paused for effect, “The avatar.”

Twilight and her friends quickly bowed their heads as the stallion stared at them. “The avatar? Truly? What a magnificent surprise!” he turned to the robed pony and smiled. “I'll leave everything in your hooves. Dismissed,” he then jumped from his throne and trotted towards them. “Please, raise your heads.”

The alicorn did so, her eyes glancing towards the stallion as he came closer. With each step she could see the guards twitching, their eyes focused firmly on her. “Your highness, I've come to request your aid. The last of the fire benders are in danger and they require a place to hide, as well as aid in their escape. As the avatar, I've come to humbly beg for your assistance in these matters, for sanctuary for my people.”

The stallion frowned as he nodded. “I see, dark times. A shame this can't be done under more pleasant terms. But, I suppose with the war on, there is no-”

“GASSSSSP!” Pinkie said as she darted in, staring into his eyes. “He knows about the war! He knows about the war!” she shrieked as she started circling him, looking into his ears and under his mane.

“I... yes? Of course I do. A hundred years of darkness is quite difficult to be unaware of. I do- Eek! Miss, please control yourself!” he snapped as she flicked his tail up.

“Ohhhh, but if he knows he... gaaaaaasp! He's an imposter! He must be! Maybe he's not even an earth pony at all!” the excited pink mare yelled as she continued hopping around. The other ponies just stood, their mouths open in shock, unable to react. “I bet he's a unicorn! No! He's a griffon in disguise! No no no! I got it! You're a changeling, yes! Of course, a changeling! It all makes sense! Show me your holes!”

“I, I will do no such thing!” the stallion said quickly as his cheeks burned red. “Quite an... interesting friend you have, avatar.”

“Yahhh!” Twilight yelled as she jumped Pinkie and covered the mare's mouth. “Errr, yes. She is a bit... eccentric. I do hope this won't, errr, damage any relations. Sorry...”

The stallion shook his head. “No, it's quite alright. As I was saying, these are trying times, avatar. War is constantly being waged and the Water Nation, for the longest time, seemed almost unstoppable. I will not lie, I had begun to think one day my very city would fall. However,” Fancy turned and trotted towards one of the windows that overlooked the castle grounds. “Since your arrival, even I hear the rumors and cries of hope that spread through our cities. Ponies that once were so certain the Water Nation would overwhelm us all, now feel the will to turn against these armies and fight them back.” A smile spread across his lips as he nodded. “As such, I would be a fool to turn my back on the very one who has brought us such hope. However... I do have one request first.”

The alicorn gulped nervously. “Y-yes, your highness?”

He slowly turned, a large grin on his lips. “Could you give a demonstration of your power? Even as a child I'd heard stories of the avatar's might, to see it myself would be a dream come true!”

The avatar starred for a few moments before nodding. “T-that's all? Really? I... hee hee. That will be no problem at all, your highness!”

“Wonderful! Photo, would you retrieve Sapphire?” The earth pony nodded and departed. “Good, good. Now, avatar, your demonstration?”

------

Sapphire strolled into the throne room, a smirk on her face. Until she saw the state of the walls and floor, at which point her mouth fell open. Scorch marks were burned into the stone, the carpets had thick, black holes seared through them. Even the guards hadn't gotten off unphased, many of them toppled over into piles, their manes stuck on end. A moment later a powerful wind flew through the chamber, nearly toppling the mare over as she quickly looked around. Her eyes narrowed as she saw the source.

Twilight stood before the emperor, her wings flapping wildly as the powerful winds bounced and split through the room. A moment later her horn burst into flame as she burnt a searing scar across the far wall.

Fancy stood there, a large grin on his face as he nodded rapidly. “Marvelous, simply marvelous! Imagine, two forms of bending.”

“W-what... what happened here?” Sapphire asked as she slowly trotted forward. “Your beautiful throne room, it's... it's...”

“Ah, don't worry about this,” Fancy said with a shrug. “The avatar was merely demonstrating her powers for me. Truly marvelous! Now, Sapphire, I have a task for you. You must gather a force to head to the Everfree Forest.”

“Ah, of course. The first force has already been sent, and I am gathering more as we speak,” the mare said proudly as she puffed out her chest. “We should have-”

“You already sent a force?” Fancy snapped as he stomped his hoof down. “We've talked about this. Again and again.”

“Errr, sire?” the pony squeaked as she took a step back.

“While I appreciate your desire to do your job, you must cease making orders for me.”

“B-but your highness, I was only anticipating your orders.”

“Yes, which you have done countless times,” the stallion snapped. “Both for good, and bad. If you wish to anticipate my orders, prepare your soldiers, don't have them sent again until you receive orders, understand?”

The mare sighed as she slowly nodded. “Of course, sire...”

“Very well. Go and prepare the next force, and have somepony prepare living quarters for the avatar and her-”

“I'm sorry, sire. I won't be staying,” Twilight interrupted.

“What? Why ever not?” Fancy asked as the ponies in the room stared at her.

“I must join my people. It is my responsibility to go there and be by their side. I'll leave immediately.”

The stallion sighed, but slowly nodded. “Very well, I will have an escort prepared for you.”

“Thank you, your highness,” the avatar said as she bowed her head again.

“No need, avatar. Commander?” he asked as he turned to the mare. “Have an escort prepared, I will trust you to go with it.”

The mare nodded, “Of course. As you wish, your highness.” She gave a curt nod before quickly turning and trotting off.

“She seems angry,” Twilight mumbled. “Did you really need to scold her like that?”

“Yes,” he sighed and shook his head. “She is an amazing earth bender and a wonderful commander. Unfortunately, she is quite hot blooded and has a tendency to rush to get things done, without awaiting council or orders. Fortunately, she is usually correct. She is one of my most trusted advisers and I could think of no mare greater at what she does.”

“With all do respect, your highness,” Photo said quickly as she trotted into the throne room. “She lacks the poise, grace and control a true star of our forces needs. I, Photo Finish, could think of at least five ponies who would shine like a star in the night sky if-”

“We've been over this,” Fancy snapped. “I trust her. Now, I'll want a number of the Dai Li to accompany the avatar as well.”

The mare gasped, her hoof moving to her chest as she stumbled back. “A-accompany the avatar?! But, but they must remain here! To protect the kingdom! We are-”

“The avatar's life is pivotal to the entirety of our kingdom. You will remain here, along with the vast majority of your forces. But you will send a number of the Dai Li with the avatar in order to keep her safe. Sapphire will have command of this operation as well, understand?”

Photo stared for a few moments, her mouth open. She sighed, before slowly nodding. “Very... very well. I, Photo Finish, will prepare an escort of Dai Li. Then, you go,” she said as she turned away with a snap of her tail and stormed away.

“I get the feeling no pony is going to be very happy on this trip,” Twilight mumbled.

“Worry not, avatar,” the stallion said with a smile. “They are all very competent and capable ponies. They may not always agree, but they wouldn't be in the positions they are if I didn't trust them with my life. Now go, rest and eat. You may leave as soon as your escort is ready, but not a moment sooner.”

Twilight nodded as she performed another bow. “Thank you, your highness. Your kindness and generosity are a welcome gift.” She smiled before trotting away, her friends following behind her. As she passed out into the castle halls, she glanced out the window. The sky was filled with puffy white clouds, which made her sigh. “I hope this isn't an omen of what's to come...” she grumbled.