• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,452 Views, 208 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 2: Earth Pony - Jeweled Pen



The second book showing the fight between Avatar Twilight and the powerful Water Nation. With a new enemy appearing, will Twilight and her friends stand a chance?

  • ...
11
 208
 3,452

Chapter 16: Confidently Positioned

Fluttershy awoke to the soft, delicate chirping of a small flight of canaries. She slowly opened her eyes and sat up, glancing around for a few moments until she saw the gentle birds. Perched on a small tree, just off the side of the road, the little singers gently sang their song in response to the morning sun. The pegasus looked around, but the other ponies were still asleep, so she slowly moved towards the little birds and smiled. “Hello little darlings, what are you doing up so early?” she gently whispered.

“Waking everyone up, what else?” Spike said as he leaned over from the opposite side of the tree.

Fluttershy squeaked, her entire body going rigid. “W-what are you doing u-up?” she asked softly. “Oh! N-no, sorry!” she called out as the birds took to the air, abandoning the two.

“I couldn't sleep,” the dragon mumbled as he laid against the tree. “We need to find Twilight...”

The pegasus slowly moved closer to Spike, gently placing a wing against his back. “I... I know. None of us are... are happy about what happened. But, as it is, we have no real idea where they took her. The only pony who would have any idea, is Rainbow. But, we won't meet her until after we regroup at the Everfree Forest.” As the little dragon let out a sad sigh, she gently moved her leg over his shoulder. “There there. Twilight is strong and brave. If any pony can escape, she can. She might even meet us at the forest.”

“Pfft, like there's any chance of that,” Spike grumbled with a roll of his eyes. “I like Twilight and all, but let's be fair. Without us, she's kinda hopeless.” He puffed out his chest. “Besides, I'm her number one assistant. I should... have been able to do something...”

Fluttershy stared for a few moments before a small grin formed on her lips. She gently wrapped both her hooves around the baby dragon and pulled him in for a hug. “It's going to be okay...” she whispered. “There was nothing you could have done. It all happened too fast for any of us to do anything.”

“Yeah, but if I had been... I don't know...” he tried to look at his back. “If I was grown up and had wings, I could have gone up with her. If I wasn't so small and useless.” He kicked the ground, sending a small dirt clod scattering.

Fluttershy's hooves tightened around him as she rested her head on his. She could feel moisture against her chest as tears welled up in the baby dragon's eyes. “You're not useless,” the pegasus whispered. “You're a member of our team. No matter what happens. Twilight will be fine, I know she will. She's smart, strong and capable. Besides, nopony expects you to be able to stop everything that happens, you're still just a baby.”

Spike growled and shoved her away, eliciting a small shriek from the mare. “I-I'm not a baby!” he snapped as he wiped the moisture from his eyes. “I'm not a baby! I just, I'm just still growing! I can take care of myself!” he growled as he turned and stormed off.

“S-Spike? Where are you going?” Fluttershy asked as she struggled to trot after him.

“I'm going to find Twilight myself. We saw the griffon head in this direction, so that's where I'm going!”

“W-what? But... but, we need to stick with the others,” Fluttershy squeaked as she followed after him. “Come on, Spiky, we-”

“GAHH! No! I'm going to find the avatar, and that's that!” the dragon snapped as he glared at her. “You want to go to the forest? Then just go. I don't need you, and I don't need anypony!”

The mare stopped in her steps, looking nervously after him, then back to the group of sleeping ponies. She sighed, and turned to run back to the group. She quickly nudged Pinkie awake.

“Huh? Wuh?” the earth pony asked as she slowly opened her eyes.

“Pinkie, listen. I don't have much time. Spike wants to... well, he's going off on his own,” the pegasus said as she glanced back towards the retreating dragon. “I'm going to follow after him. Watch Angel for me, okay? I'll bring him back to meet you at the forest just as soon as I can.”

The pink pony glanced between the pegasus and dragon, before slowly nodding. “Okie dokie loki.”

Fluttershy nodded, before turning and galloping after Spike.

------

“I win, I win! I finally win!” Rarity shrieked with delight as she pranced around the table, her head held high and practically skipping with each step. Twilight shivered as she watched the troubling display.

“Now, dear niece,” Celestia mumbled. “We may need the avatar to-”

“No no NO!” the princess shrieked as she turned and pointed a hoof at her aunt, who leaned back. “No 'now niece', no 'but', no 'need'. I won. I've FINALLY captured the avatar! Do you have any idea what this means to me? I can go home! I don't have to sleep on the ground, I don't have to hide in fear of being caught, I don't have to hang my head in shame! I can return home, to my birth right! I can be a princess again! I can sleep in my own bed, talk to my servants, spend all day designing whatever I desire! There are no longer any buts or ifs!” Their host, the pegasus, just sipped what remained of his tea as he watched the confrontation.

“But niece, what about those ponies, if they-”

“I! Don't! Care!” Rarity shrieked. “Do whatever you want, but I'm returning home.” She grinned as she leaned in close to look the alicorn in the eyes. “Do you hear that, little avatar? I'm going home. Finally. Hee hee. I win.”

Twilight took a deep breath as fire began to gather on the tip of her horn. Rarity turned to the avatar instantly as her own horn glowed, a spike of ice thrusting out from their spilled drinks and impaled besides the alicorn's face. “Don't think I won't hurt you if I have to. If you try anything I'll remove your horn and... and...” the princess stopped her giddy dance as she dropped to her knees and covered her face with her hooves. “It's not fair...”

“Niece?” Celestia asked gently.

“It's not fair...” she growled. “I won... I finally bucking won...” She looked down at the trembling alicorn, before smashing both hooves down against the table. “I finally won, you over glorified bender! Do you have any idea what that... no. No no. I'm being too simple. We can stop my sister, without the avatar.”

Celestia smiled and reached a hoof out to pat her niece's head. “Do you really believe that?”

The young princess took a deep breath and nodded. “Yes. We can. My sister is a good girl. Once she realizes I'm coming home, she'll abandon her quest and return with me. Return with us.”

“And when you return home, my sister will force her to go back, force your sister to destroy those ponies. Force her to rip the horns from the-”

“Enough!” Rarity shrieked as she laid her head face first on the table. “Do... do you think I don't know that? Do you think I'm not... not aware...” Tears began to fall down her face as she slowly looked up at the alicorn. “Well? What do you have to say?”

“I... I have no idea what's going on,” Twilight squeaked. “But, I do think you should let me go. Errr, if you could. My people are in trouble, the last of the fire benders. I need to be at their side, to help them fight off... well... you're nation.”

“Oh, we're aware,” the princess growled. “Believe it or not I... have just as much intention to stop this, as you do.”

“W-what? But, you're, why would you?”

“Don't get too excited,” Rarity growled with another slam of her hoof. “I'm not doing this for you, or for your ponies. I'm doing this for Sweetie Belle,” she mumbled as her head lowered. “She's not... herself. I will save her. But, if she goes through with this... if she orders those ponies to... I know my little sister. I know what such a thing would do to her. Nopony should have to endure such a thing...”

“Wait... you're sister? She's the one leading the attack?” Twilight asked as she cocked an eye. “This gets... more and more confusing.”

“It's a long story,” Celestia mumbled. “If we untie you, avatar, do you give your word not to attempt an escape?”

“What?! We are not untying her!”

“Please, be reasonable,” the elder pony said as she sipped her tea. “The avatar is surrounded by pirates on all sides, and covered in her own blood. She is, currently, in no state to really fight us. If we're to save your sister from her own choices, then we must work together. In order to do that, we must discuss. It is very difficult to discuss, while she is strewn out on a table like a fruit platter.”

“... Fine,” Rarity grumbled.

“Now, avatar, do you give your word?”

“Not a chance! My ponies need me, and I-mmmph!” she was cut off as the elder pony covered her mouth with a hoof.

“Avatar, we both share the same goals here. Albeit, for different reasons. You may either work with us and try to get along with my niece, or you may ignore any help we offer. Which do you believe is better for your tribe?”

As the hoof was removed, the alicorn growled, but slowly nodded. “Fine. Just untie me. I won't... I won't flee.”

“Good,” Celestia said as her horn glowed and the ropes were slowly un-knotted and dropped to the side. “Would you like some tea?”

“Errr, sure,” Twilight squeaked as she crawled off the table, sitting so Celestia was between her and Rarity. She glanced to her leg, sighing. “I really wish I could have Fluttershy look at that. Now, what did you mean, you want to stop your forces?”

The young princess glared daggers at the alicorn. “My sister, Sweetie, is the current commander of this operation. At least, as far as I know. If those ponies are captured... they will either be killed, or their horns removed. My sister isn't the kind of pony who would do that.”

Twilight snorted. “If she's not that kind of pony, then why is she planning to try?”

“Because that's not the kind of pony she is! She's being forced against her will!” Rarity slammed her hooves against the table again, shaking it as her aunt tried to pour the tea.

“Being forced against her will? How could she possibly be doing that? I thought you said she commanded the units?” Twilight asked as she took her tea and nervously sipped it.

“Discord, my dear,” Celestia said. The alicorn choked, coughing and snorted the tea out her nose and mouth.

“Ack, cough cough, grak... W-what? Discord? Discord is here? But he's still trapped, oh no no no no!” the alicorn shrieked as she got to her hooves. “I'm not ready to face him yet!”

“Be calm, Avatar,” the elder unicorn said with a soft chuckle. “He has not escaped. His corruption has... twisted ponies. Through the generations. My younger niece, and Rarity's sister, is the newest victim. I am afraid she does speak the truth. Sweetie, as she was, would never have performed such an act. She was kind, sweet and afraid to harm so much as a fly. Now she would slaughter the entirety of your tribe for the glory it would bring.”

“I won't allow her to suffer that,” Rarity snapped. “That's why we came here. To seek help to stop her. While we are no allies of you, or those ponies, I won't allow my sister to suffer the eventual pain of such a command.”

Twilight perked up. “So does that mean you'll give up on trying to- ow!” The alicorn cringed as she was slapped by her tea.

“No! You're still my prey and I'm going to capture you! But, for now, and only now, we're going to have to work together. If you keep trying to make more of this than there is, I'm going to slap you with this table next.”

“Can you even pick it-”

“I'll find a way!” the unicorn snapped before turning to her aunt. “So, what now?”

“Well, I believe I know a few who can help us. Tell us, avatar, what help have you gathered?”

The mare sighed. “The Earth Kingdom is sending forces to help. The Air Nomads should as well. We're planning an evacuation to Fillydelphia.”

Celestia nodded slowly as she sipped her tea. “I see. An evacuation could work well. If her prey isn't there, then there will no longer be reason for Sweetie to follow them. Attacking Fillydelphia would be nearly impossible as well, if you could gather the ponies together. Except, for one minor flaw.”

Twilight groaned. “What?”

“My other niece has a head start. A full scale evacuation takes time. There's likely no chance for everypony to gather what's needed. Sweetie will have to be delayed,” the elder mare slowly sipped her tea as she looked the two over. She softly put the glass down, got to her hooves and trotted away. “Come along, you two. We must find Steel Beard. I have a plan.”

“You do?” Rarity asked as she glared at Twilight.

“Oh, indeed. And if it works we'll be able to save both your sister and those fire benders... or we'll die in a horrible explosion. But I'm sure the former is more likely.”

Twilight and Rarity, for the first time, glanced at each other with the same concerned look.

------

“Ah can't believe this,” Sapphire sighed as she held a hoof over her head. “You just let her go? Do you have any idea what's out there?”

“... Rocks? Dirt? Trees?” Pinkie offered helpfully.

“Yes. Also, bandits. Entire kingdom has been infested with them. Ever since the sun came out, everypony treats it like a wide world of adventure and excitement, where they can just take what they want. We've been attempting to curtail the problem, but there's a reason most caravans have at least a few earth benders.”

“Oh... I'm sure she'll be fine,” the pink pony said as she happily hopped around. “She can fly and carry Spike no problem. If anything bad happens, they'd have no trouble escaping.”

The commander shook her head before looking back to the other ponies with them. All were still present. “Well, I'm happy the lot of you decided to not bring shame on our kingdom. Start preparing breakfast, then move out. Nothing cooked, travel rations. We've got a long day ahead of us.”

“So we're not going after the avatar, ma'am?” one of the earth benders asked.

“No. The avatar has to work on her own, ah'll trust her. Our business is following orders. That means getting those fire nation ponies, and getting out. Now let's git,” the pony yelled as she stomped a hoof.

“So... why do you do that?” Pinkie asked.

“Do what?” the earth pony asked.

“Every so often you start talking like Applejack. A few words here and there.”

“Ah don't know any pony named Applejack, but I assure you that ah talk in my own sennnnsational way!” the pony said boisterously.

“You just did it there, again! Just a little bit!”

“You're just hearing things. Shush.”

“But-”

“Ah said shush! Come on, now git!” she yelled as she started stomping away, the ground shaking with each step.

“What did I say?” Pinkie asked as she followed after the mare, who pointedly ignored her.

------

The sun was slowly beginning to set as Fluttershy followed after the dragon. “A-are you sure you know where we're going?”

“For the third time, no. I'm just going the way the griffon was. If you're so scared, why don't you just go back? We passed a road not too long ago, you could probably take it to Fillydelphia,” the dragon grumbled as he kept walking through the tall grass.

“N-no, I don't want to l-leave you all alone,” she whispered as she shifted her eyes left and right for any sign of danger. “W-we should go back. T-the others might be worried.”

“I told you!” he yelled as he turned to her and jammed a claw into her chest. “I'm not going back without Twilight! I don't care if I have to chase that griffon to the edge of the kingdom, I'm going to find her!”

Fluttershy gulped, before gently nodding. “I... I'm sorry. You're right.” A smile spread across her lips. “I'm sure we'll find her.”

Spike rolled his eyes and started walking again. “How is it you can glare down the Great Dragon, but a little walk through the countryside has you jumping at shadows? A little consistency would be nice.”

“I don't, I never...” the pegasus hung her head as she followed after him. “I'm sorry...”

The dragon glanced back before slowly lowering his gaze. He nervously poked his claws together as he walked, before letting out a soft sigh. “I'm... I'm sorry. I know you're not... thanks for coming with me. I know you don't like being out here alone and all. Especially with the dark. I'm just worried about Twilight. I don't think I can expect Rar... the Phantom to save her again. It's up to us.”

Fluttershy blinked, before trotting up to the dragon and putting a wing over his shoulder. “We will. And, I know if she knew how hard you're looking for her, she'd feel a lot safer right now.”

The dragon sighed. “You think so?”

“I know so,” she patted his back.

“I can't believe my eyes! That's a dragon, a bonified dragon!” A voice called out. The two froze as they nervously looked around. Three unicorn mares were standing besides a large oak tree. Daggers were sheathed at their sides with crude spears on the backs of two, though the third had a sword across her back. “Don't see many, or any, of their kind these days.”

Fluttershy squeaked as she took a step back. “S-spike, stay back.”

“What? I'm not scared of a couple of ponies,” he snorted. “They probably can't even bend.”

“Well, duh. We aren't a bunch of the Water Nation trollops,” the sword mare said as she stepped forward with a large grin. “Now, calm down lil pegasus. We don't wanna cause you any harm.”

The yellow mare gulped. “R-really? H-how can I help you?”

“Well, a little prize like that?” she motioned to the dragon. “Could earn just about anypony a pretty penny. We just wanna share, that's not so bad, is it?” The sword was slowly drawn from its sheath. “You don't mind sharing, do you? You aren't one of those greedy ponies, are yah?”

Fluttershy squeaked as she moved her wing between the ponies and Spike. “H-he's not for s-sale or trading or s-sharing. He's his own pony a-and he can do what he wants,” she said with a soft squeak of fright as the other two unicorns darted around to surround her from three sides, spears drawn.

“Now now, why you have to be so greedy? We have no problem sharing him, say... eighty-twenty. We'll even set up the buyer if you want,” the mare said with a wicked grin. “But, if you're going to be a big, bad, meany head.” She shook her head with disappointment. “We'll just have to show you how to share, won't we girls?”

“Mmhmm,” the one behind Fluttershy's right said.

“Eeyup,” the one on the left said.

“S-stay back!” the pegasus squeaked as she spread out her wings. “I-I'm an air bender! I-I'll fight you i-if I have to!” Her hooves wrapped protectively around the small dragon as she flapped her wings once, and sent... a light breeze at the sword mare, slightly ruffling her mane.

“Ah, so we're going to do it that way. Get her!” the bandit snapped.

Fluttershy squeaked and fell down on her stomach, flapping her wings as hard as she could as she threw her body over Spike.

“GYAHHHHHH!” the three ponies screamed. No pain came. After a few seconds the pegasus blinked as she opened her eyes, looking around. The three bandits were on the ground, their eyes little swirls and their weapons scattered.

“Did... did you do that?” Spike asked, his mouth hanging open.

“Yah all alright?” Applejack asked as she trotted out from behind a tree.

“Applejack?” Fluttershy eeked. “You're... you're...”

“A lil late, but better than never, right?” she asked with a large grin. “Heard all your trouble, couldn't resist lendin' mah hoof. Where's the rest ah your lil posse?”

“Twilights been foalnapped by a griffon!” Spike said quickly as he ran over to the earth pony, poking her in the leg just to be sure she was real. “We're on our way to rescue her.”

“Captured, eh? I guess ah better come with yah all then, help yah with this here rescue mission. More or less why ah came after all. What about all them fire benders yah were off tah save? Yah gone an' saved 'em already?”

“Oh, well, no. We were on our way but then Twilight got captured, the others are saving them now,” Spike mumbled.

“Ah see. Well, let's go!” Applejack said as she thrust her hoof into the ground and a pillar of dirt shot the dragon into the air, to land on her back. “Which way?”

“Ummm, that way,” Fluttershy squeaked. A moment later the earth pony galloped off, making the pegasus struggle to run after. “N-not so fast!”

------

Days passed slowly as Sweetie watched the forest with disinterest. Every tree, bush and root were slowly and painstakingly removed by her soldiers. Unfortunately, she'd already lost over a dozen soldiers to the dangers of the plants. A pony that was cutting the trees would suddenly get grabbed by vines and tugged inside. One would trip and fall into the woods, never to be seen again. The more they cut into it, the more the forest seemed to struggle to defend itself.

The unicorn was quickly losing interest in their excuses as the treeline was slowly conquered. “How can it take this long?” she growled as she watched the ponies cutting and hacking at the wildlife, from atop a small sunchair on top of her tank.

“Ehh, at least the view is good,” Scootaloo said as she sipped her lemonade. “Some of your soldiers are pretty cute.”

“Yes yes, sweaty and glistening and blah,” the princess grumbled. “But that novelty wore off by the end of day one. It's taking forever to cut through all these stupid trees! The barely even burn when we toss them in the fire!” she snapped and motioned to the massive stacks of firewood they had since gathered, most of it useless.

“Well, this just means we all have more time for the avatar tah arrive,” Flowerbloom said with a grin. “That's good, right?”

The unicorn sighed. “I suppose...” Sweetie glanced up to the pegasi who flew over the forest, on constant alert for any attackers. A few of them had been lost as well. She glanced back at the dozens of tanks and air ships that were now sitting in wait since the homeland's forces had joined up. “The largest force that the Water Nation has ever seen, and I can't just charge in and destroy the place. This is so... gah!” she kicked the top of her tank.

“Princess!” one of the shadowbolts called out as he landed in front of her and bowed his head. “A report from the right flank of the wood cutting force.”

“What? Let me guess, a tree ate one of them?”

“What? No, well, yes, but we got the tree. But that's not important! We've captured a fire bender!”

“A fire bender? Then they are here!” Sweetie shrieked as she got to her hooves. “Take me to them, immediately!”

“At once,” the pegasus said as he offered his back. She shook her head and jumped from the tank, running along the ground.

Her friends glanced to each other and gulped. “Should we go with her?” Scootaloo asked nervously.

“Ah... ah don't think I wanna see this,” Flowerbloom responded with a nervous gulp. The pegasus nodded in agreement as they turned worried eyes towards the disappearing princess.

The princess soon stood in front of a green unicorn. “So, you're a fire bender?” she asked in delight.

“Yes,” a nearby water bender said. “He wasn't alone, however. The other escaped. We caught them spying on us.”

Sweetie growled as she shook her head. “So they know we're here?”

“You'll never take us!” the fire bender suddenly yelled. “We'll fight you, every last one of you! The sun will rise forever! We won't just-mrfff!” his mouth was quickly covered in ice.

“Interesting, loud though,” the princess mumbled as she circled him. “Why isn't his horn covered?”

“I've already disabled it,” Caballeron said as he walked over and bowed. “At least, temporarily. He should be unable to bend for a few hours. I did not know how you wished to treat him, otherwise.”

She nodded. “Good. Have his horn encased and bound up. Don't cut it, yet. We may need it later.”

“As you wish,” the earth pony said as he called some of his soldiers over to perform the task.

“Double the pegasi in the air as well. If any of those ponies make a run for it, I want them captured. Do I make myself clear?” she asked firmly.

The stallion nodded. “As you wish. I will see to it myself.”

“Good. Now,” Sweetie said as she glanced into the sky, towards the sun. “Admire the sun, while you can. Today may be the last time it is ever seen.”

------

“Weeeee!” Twilight shrieked as she held her wings open and felt the air glide around her feathers. She stood on the bow of a large pirate ship, one of three heading through the air towards the east.

“Will you knock that off?” Rarity snapped angrily. “You're like a child.”

“Interesting you should mention that,” Celestia said with a gentle smirk. “I seem to recall a young princess standing on the bow with her little wind chimes.”

The princess glared at the elder mare, her cheeks scarlet. “That, that was different! I was a child, I thought it was fun!”

“You were quite adorable. In fact, I have pictures. Avatar, would you like to see?”

“No, she would not!”

“I'd love to!” Twilight said with a chuckle as she trotted down from the bow towards the elder unicorn. Within moments the two were giggling at the small beat up pictures. “How did they get so damaged?”

“We have been on the road a long time, my niece and I,” the unicorn mumbled as she glanced up to look at her flustered niece.

“I can't believe you held onto those,” Rarity grumbled. “Can't believe they survived...”

“Well, I make sure to take care of all things I treasure. It's why I always watch out so closely for you.”

Her face turned even redder as she darted to the bow. “Well... I... whatever! Hmph! Just... just hmph!”

“Ponies off the port side!” a voice ran out.

“What?” Twilight eeked as she darted to the bow, accidentally scattering the photos. She stared over the side, looking around wildly. “Is it possible we're there already? But it's only been a... a... huh?” her face fell as she saw two ponies and a dragon down below. “Oh, it's just Spike, Fluttershy and Pinkie.” After a few moments her eyes bulged. “Wait, what? Those are my friends! Quick, go down! Get them! I mean, pick them up! Those are my friends!”

Rarity groaned as the alicorn jumped off the side of the ship. “Great, just what we need, three of them. Are you sure this is worth it, aunty?”

“It depends really on how much you value your little sisters innocence, dear niece,” Celestia murmured as she neatly bound the pictures in twine before sliding them under her cloak.

“A yes would have sufficed...” she grumbled as the ships slowed and two griffons jumped off to help bring the three up.

------

Sweetie giggled with glee as she trotted around the camp. Fires blazed fiercely outside each tent, giving their glow to light the night. Large cages had been set up, which were quickly filling with fire benders who tried, and failed, to escape in the darkness. Unfortunately, the last had been captured hours ago.

“Ah, your highness!” Caballeron said as he trotted up besides her. “I'm sorry to say that no more fire benders have been caught. They seem to be too afraid to attempt an escape.”

“That's wonderful!”

“Your highness?” he asked nervously.

“Oh, I know. It's a shame that no more are being captured, but that just means they're too afraid to run. They'll just wait, patiently in their homes, until we break them down. How much longer do you think that would take, hmm?”

“Errr, I'm not sure. We have soldiers working around the clock, but our tools are being damaged far faster than we though. We have all non-cutting units working on repairing the tools, but it's a slow process. I calculate within two days we'll run out at this pace.”

She hmphed, before shaking her head. “And the water benders? Are they having any success?”

“Oh, I uhhh... I don't have many working on it. They've been conserving their energy and well...” he shuffled his hooves as he hung his head.

She cocked an eye as she stopped and glanced to him. “What is it?”

“I shouldn't bother your highness, it is nothing. I'll deal with it.”

“Tell me,” she said as gently as she could.

“Well, since I'm an earth pony, most of your water benders-”

“Ah, say no more. Where are these unicorns?” she asked in a sickeningly sweet tone.

The stallion gulped and, with a slow nod, lead her through the camp. They soon arrived at a large bundle of tents focused together, filled with unicorns drinking, eating, sleeping or chatting away. She let out a whistle as they all went quiet. She glanced around and sighed. “Who is the commander of this unit?”

“That would be me,” a mare said as she stepped forward. “I was designated temporary general after the disappearance of general Trixie. My name is... huh?” the mare trailed off as a number of unicorns began to quickly trot away, hanging their heads. The young princess recognized them as a few of the soldiers she had been traveling with. “As I was saying. I'm Icemane. How may I serve you, princess?”

“Well, I was curious to know why you and the rest of the unicorns weren't working on the trees as well. I gave the commander instructions to have ponies working on it twenty-four seven, and yet your lot has decided to not perform such tasks.”

The mare snorted. “With all due respect, your highness, that's earth pony work. Moving heavy things, cutting down trees, that's harvest work. Having us perform such menial tasks is below us. Besides, we have more than enough of his kind,” she motioned to Caballeron, “from these colonies.”

“I see, I see,” she nodded as her horn glowed. Icemane just smirked knowingly at the earth pony commander, which quickly disappeared as she found her front hooves ripped out from under her. She collapsed at Sweetie's hooves, who glared down at her.

“It seems you misunderstood something,” the princess growled as she stepped forward and slammed a hoof against the general's horn, quickly pinning it to the ground and holding it there. “When I give an order, such as everypony works on clearing the trees, I mean everypony. Even when the orders are filtered through an earth pony. Now, let me make this perfectly clear so anypony doesn't misunderstand.” She looked up as she applied more pressure to the horn, eliciting a scream from the mare as it began to sparkle and crack. “You will be working on the trees as long as I, or the commander I've put in charge,” she motioned to the earth pony, “say so. You can either use your bending, or I can personally MAKE you an earth pony. Do you understand?”

A loud scream filled the air as the tip of Icemane's horn finally cracked off, leaving a jagged remain. The other unicorns spared each other looks, before running towards the wood cutters. Sweetie looked down. “Go find a healer and have them reattach your horn. Until it heals, you'll use an axe like the other earth ponies. Do I make myself clear?”

The mare quickly nodded, before gripping the tip in her mouth and running away. Caballeron stood, his mouth open. “I doubt you'll have any more troubles. If you do, inform me,” Sweetie said as she turned back towards her tank.

“O-of course your majesty,” he squeaked out, staring at her with admiration.

------

“You going to be okay?” Spike asked as he trotted out to the sail of their air ship, holding two warm mugs of cocoa. Applejack had done her best to wrap her entire body around it.

“A-ah'll be fine once this darn thing l-lands...” she mumbled.

“Did you even get any sleep?” he asked as he held out the other mug. She took it and nervously sipped the liquid.

“A lil. Shouldn't you be in bed?”

“Already did. Woke up early...” he mumbled as he sipped his and looked out towards the night sky. “I... thought I did. Huh... that's weird.”

“What's EEEK!” she shrieked as they hit a small batch of turbulence and she hurtled her mug and grabbed the pole. The beverage flew onto Spike's head as he glowered. “Don't fall to our deaths, don't fall to our deaths!”

“Thanks for that,” Spike grumbled as he wiped the cocoa from his face.

“Good morning! What are you two doing up so early?” Twilight asked as she trotted out onto the deck.

“Ah never shoulda let yah bring me onto this flyin' death trap!” Applejack yelled.

“Will you keep it down?!” a griffon, with a steel beak, yelled as he popped out from behind Twilight. “Some of the crew are still tryin' tah sleep. Why the lot of yah even awake?”

“Woke up early,” Spike said with a shrug.

“Me too. Sorry Steel Beard... though, I still need to ask you about your beard...” Twilight mumbled as she glanced at the beardless griffon. “How long until the sun comes up?” she asked as she looked around. “That's strange...”

The dragon twitched as realization dawned on him. “Oh. T-that's right. The moon, it's-”

“Gone,” the alicorn squeaked as she fell down on her flank in shock. “It's time for the sun. But, the sun isn't...”

“Rising,” the griffon finished as the gathered creatures turned their heads towards the night sky, the stars the only things to greet them.