• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,451 Views, 208 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 2: Earth Pony - Jeweled Pen



The second book showing the fight between Avatar Twilight and the powerful Water Nation. With a new enemy appearing, will Twilight and her friends stand a chance?

  • ...
11
 208
 3,451

Chapter 2: Captivating Dangers

Ponies struggled to peek and listen into a single large tent that now held the avatar, her companions, the Wonderbolts and the envoys from the Earth Kingdom were talking. They pushed and shoved their way forward, trying to get in a good position. Suddenly the tent flap opened. Spitfire stood in the entrance and glared. “Everypony, out!” she snapped. The ponies let out a collective eek before running away.

The mare shook her head as she walked back inside. “Sorry about that. They're just... excitable. Now, where were we? Filthy, I believe you had the floor?”

“Please, just Rich. As I was trying to say out there, Avatar,” the envoy from Earth Kingdom said, “is with the power of the spirit animals we could destroy the Water Nation once and for all. I've heard all about what they did here, cutting a swathe through the Air Nomads lands. Spear heading the Water Nations greatest assault in over a century. There had to be thousands of ponies here, many of them water benders. You captured many of them and sent the rest into a full blown retreat in a single night. Neigh, a single hour!”

Twilight nodded slowly. “Well, yes, that is true. But those were extenuating circumstances. I had the willing help of the creature. That only happened because I had helped rescue its young from the General Trixie.”

“So?” Filthy asked. “Do what she did, capture these creatures and make them fight for you. With just a few of them we could win this war. I have my forces primed and-”

“NO!” Twilight snapped as she put a hoof down. “I'm not Trixie! I won't enslave these creatures for my own personal gain, I-”

“Personal gain?!” the earth pony snapped as he got to his hooves. “This is not a competition, Avatar. This is war! Ponies are dying! Hundreds, thousands! Every day that the Water Nation stands is another day that more mares and stallions fall to their deaths!”

“Control yourself!” Spitfire hissed as she glared at him. “This is the avatar you are speaking to, you can't-”

“No, he's right,” Twilight said as she hung her head. “This... this is indeed war. Ponies are dying. I will try.” The earth pony grinned, though the alicorn raised a hoof. “But I will not enslave them. To do that would be a grave misuse of my power. I will try to find those that will help me.” She got to her hooves and headed towards the exit, “I'll be in my room. I need to further study the book the Phantom left for me, if I am going to repeat this spell.”

The others watched her leave before turning to glare at the general, even Fluttershy. “What?” Filthy asked with a roll of his eyes. “You're all just mad because you know I'm right. Mmmm hmmm.” The pony said with a snap of his hoof. Somehow.

------

Rarity trotted through the woods, a smile on her face. Across her back she had a number of blue leaves laying flat, useful medical plants that Celestia had trained her to identify years ago. Her aunty was going to be so proud.

She soon returned to where the elder unicorn lay and froze in her tracks. Celestia had made a small fire and was laying besides it. Completely still and flat. “AUNTY!” Rarity yelled as she darted to the mare's side. “Oh no no no, please. D-don't die on me. I'm sorry I talked bad about you! I'm sorry I was so disobedient! I'll find you a new kazoo, j-just please don't-”

“Rarity... I'm fine,” the elder pony groaned as she opened her eyes. “I was merely resting... did you find the leaves?”

“Yes!” the dethroned princess said as she dropped the blue leaves besides the mare. “Here. Will these really help? What about... what's in you?”

“I've already drawn the poison out, no need to fret,” Celestia said with a smile as she began to apply the leaves. “I just need some rest. I will be fine within a few hours. For now, we must talk and I must apologize.”

“Apologize? But you haven't done anything. If anypony should be apologizing, it's me. It's because of me that we were in that situation...”

“No. It is not,” the white unicorn mumbled as she gazed into the fire. “It is because of me that your sister is even in that state, as well as your mother.”

“What? How could it possibly be your fault?”

“Do you remember back when you were a filly, soon after Sweetie Belle was born? Back when your father was still... with us?”

Rarity froze for a few moments as her hooves began to shake. “I... y-yes... I remember. Mother used to talk about you all the time. How you were waging war on the front lines, protecting the nation. She always told me you were one of the bravest princesses there had ever been.”

Celestia burst into laughter as she shook her head. “Bravest? I was nothing but a coward. I wasn't waging war, I was hiding!”

Rarity blinked a few times as she looked at the fire. “H-hiding? How? We received trophies and gifts from you all the time. Spoils of war.”

“Oh, I was there,” the unicorn said with a snort. “I even led the charges many times. But I wasn't there because I was brave, I was there because I was too afraid to come home. Do you remember your grandfather?”

Rarity cringed as her hoof gently touched her cheek. “Y-yes... I'll... I'll never forget him.”

“I see,” the elder pony whispered gently as she took the younger mare's hoof. “He seemed like a harsh, cruel stallion, did he not? One who would accept nothing, but perfection?”

“Yes,” Rarity said softly as she struggled to block out those memories.

“He used to be one of the kindest stallions you'd have ever known,” Celestia said as she turned to the fire.

“WHAT?!” Rarity snapped. “He was a brute! A monster! He was... he was...”

“Just like my sister, Nightmare Moon?”

“NO! Mother was never like that! She was just... she was suffering. When grandfather died and she took up the mantle, she...”

“It was my fault. My father used to be a kind, sweet stallion. One who would pick up and coddle a crying filly, even if she was covered in dirt and muck and he was in his finest evening wear. He was much like your father and my dear sister. Before my failure and cowardice changed her.”

“Stop talking in riddles!” Rarity hissed as she slammed a hoof down.

“Discord,” Celestia said as she closed her eyes. “You know of the ancient tradition that was to be your birthright. The legends of how we took an essence of Discord, a powerful spirit, and bent it to our will?”

“Yes,” Rarity said softly. “It's the sign of our royal line. Only the strongest can have it, the true ruler of our kingdom. Why?”

“The essence is so much more,” she whispered. “When my father gained it, it changed and twisted him. My sister refused to see, blaming the stress of ruling our kingdom, but I knew the truth. It turned his once kind heart wicked. I... I was afraid. Stars forgive me, I was so afraid.”

“... What do you mean?” Rarity asked as she dug her hooves into the ground.

“Father was dying. I knew he would want me to return home for the ritual of ascension before he departed this world, but I made excuses. Again and again I got caught up in battle. I tried to wait him out,” as Celestia said the words a sad grin formed on her lips. “But the old pony changed the rules. Without me, he took the next best thing. My dear sister, Luna.”

“No,” the fallen princess growled with a stomp of her hooves. “That is my mother, she-”

“Let me finish!” the elder unicorn snapped. The young princess went silent in response. “It changed her. She had once looked up to me, but soon it twisted into jealousy. She began to strike down all who talked against her. When I returned, she taunted me incessantly of how she stole my birthright, but I knew the truth. My cowardice hadn't cost me a kingdom, it had cost me a sister... and you a mother. Now, I'm afraid it has repeated itself. Dear Sweetie Belle holds part of the essence of Discord within her. That is why she... tried that. Why she attacked you with poison bending of all things.”

“How...” Rarity asked softly as she laid down on the ground. “There... I... is there a cure? How can we fix it? I mean... no. It can't be. Sweetie is not some monster that-”

“SHE IS! Oh, what I wouldn't give to have stopped this fate from befalling them, but it is done. No matter what I wish, it cannot be undone,” Celestia said as tears went down her eyes.

“What... what do you mean, cannot be undone?”

“There is no way to fix this,” the elder pony said as she blew her nose into her cloak. “I've tried... oh by the stars and moon I've tried. Your father and I used any means we could, but there was no way to save her. He protected me, but in the end he-”

“YOU DRAGGED MY FATHER INTO THIS?!” Rarity yelled as she got to her hooves.

“... Yes,” Celestia whispered. “We were... we were foalish. He saw the corruption in her. What she had become. I... I wanted to bring my sister back. But there was no way... even the avatar couldn't do it, what hope did we?” The mare shook as she tried to wipe away the tears. “When your mother found out, he... disappeared. I never discovered what had happened to him, but we had failed.”

Rarity stared at the flame as she felt her own tears try to burst through. “S-so... you mean to tell me... it's your fault I lost my father? The reason my mother became so harsh? THE REASON SWEETIE BELLE HAS BECOME SO COLD?! That there is no way to fix this?!”

“Y-yes... I... I'm sorry,” the mare whispered as she looked away from the young princess. “I... there is nothing I can say or do, Rarity. I have wronged you in ways that no pony should ever be forced to endure. All I can say is, I'm sorry. I will do all in my power to make right what I can, but... your sister and your mother... the ponies they were... are gone. Forever.”

Rarity stared at the elder unicorn, her hooves trembling as rage boiled within her. “You... I... how can... AGHHHH!” she finally screamed before she turned and ran into the surrounding tree line, leaving the wounded mare behind.

------

Twilight slowly flipped through the old journal, focused on each word. She was so lost in thought that she failed to hear the door open behind her. She screamed like a banshee when she felt something suddenly tug on her tail.

“AHHHHHH! Who, what, Spike?” the avatar asked as she stared down at the dragon, from her new spot upside down and lodged in the roof.

“Are you okay?” Spike asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“I-I'm fine. You merely startled me. What is- ahhh!” she shrieked as she fell from the roof, landing on the ground in a heap. “Owie...”

“I just wanted to know how things were going,” he mumbled as he looked at the book. “You've been in here for hours.”

“Ugh...” the alicorn grumbled as she got to her hooves and glanced down at the little dragon with a smile. “It's going well. This book is quite fascinating, whoever this Ursa pony was must have been brilliant. But...” she trailed off as she let out a sigh.

“Whats wrong?”

“I found the spell Trixie used. I... I can't use a spell like that. I won't,” she said firmly with a stomp of her hoof.

“Why? What's wrong with it?”

“It's... it enslaves the creature. Shatters its mind, crushes its spirit. I won't make something endure that,” she muttered as she flipped another page. “I won't destroy one realm to protect another.”

“What are you going to do, then?”

“I don't know,” she mumbled. “I can try, maybe? Perhaps the changelings? They seemed... intelligent. I might be able to negotiate terms with them. There is a spell to bring multiple ponies into the realm, so I should be able to bring the others with me. At least I hope.”

“Oh. Ummm, anything I can do to help?” the dragon asked nervously.

“Yes, here,” she said as she dropped a list into his claws. “Tell the others I need those. According to this spell I should be able to bring up to five other ponies with me. I'm going to limit it to just three though. Better safe than sorry. I'm going to do some more studying, however. Please tell the others I should be ready soon.”

The dragon nodded before running off, closing the door behind him. A few moments later Twilight blinked. “Wait a moment. We're in the clouds, how was he... ugh, not now. Focus. Research now, dragon pestering later.”

------

Sweetie hummed softly to herself as she brushed her pony-sized doll's hair. “Don't worry Rarity, we'll soon be together, forever. I'll capture the avatar and then you'll come to me. Shhhhh, no need to cry. No pony will ever hurt you again,” she said delicately as she gently began to brush the tail. “We'll sing, and play games, and be the best sisters ever. Every pony will be so jealous of how close we are!” she giggled gleefully.

There was a gentle tapping on the door to her room. “Your highness?”

“What is it?” she growled angrily.

“W-we're almost to Cherry Bloom Rise. You asked us to alert you,” the stallion outside whimpered softly.

“Oh, good, good. Have the other four ships disposed of. I'll have no more need of their services.” she said as she slowly got up, giving her doll one last kiss on the cheek before walking towards the door.

“D-disposed of?” he asked before letting out a shriek as the door was suddenly opened.

“Yes, disposed of. Burn them, sink them, send them somewhere else. I don't really care, just get rid of them. I'm not going to need a big useless fleet for a task like this.”

“I... I could send t-them t-to help the war efforts?” the pony asked nervously.

“I said I don't care. Just deal with them before I deal with you!” she hissed angrily as she walked to the deck of her ship and glanced out. A few miles away she could see the large city built near the sea and, just barely within view, the farms on the other side. She let out a little giggle. “Soon, dear sister. We'll be together again. I just need to gather a few helpers...”

The stallion nervously looked to a nearby pegasus. “Go tell the other ships to get out of here, quick. If they stick around the princess they'll wish they were on the front lines.”

“Aye, captain,” the pegasus said as she took to the air and flew away as fast as her wings could take her.

------

Rarity slowly walked back towards the fire, glancing nervously at the large unicorn sleeping besides it. She took a seat and shook her head. “Oh aunty... I'm sorry...” she whispered as she glanced up at the clear skies. “I just... you're wrong,” she muttered. “Even if she's different. That's still my sister. I know she's in there. I'll find her...”

Celestia didn't move, only occasionally letting out gentle snores. Rarity chuckled as she moved over and began changing the wraps. After a few moments the movements awoke the elder pony. “Huh? Niece? You came back?”

“Of course, you old tea guzzler. I couldn't very well leave you alone,” the unicorn said as she gently patted the wounded mare's side. “They aren't bleeding any more and they seem to be closing up nicely. We can probably... wait a moment. What's... IT WAS YOU!” Rarity shrieked as she tore a kazoo out from her aunt's cloak. “I should have known!”

“No! It's not what it looks like! I thought, I thought it was an ancient heirloom!” Celestia lied as she wiggled about. “Give it baaaack!”

“No,” Rarity said with a hmph as she tucked it into her dress. “Maybe if you're good, you can have it back later. But you've been very bad. No wonder I kept hearing this on the ship. I thought I was going mad!”

“It was just a little-”

“No,” the princess snapped as she turned and started walking. “To think I felt bad for you. You should be ashamed! You're a grown pony!”

“Come on, please?” Celestia asked as she slowly got to her hooves. “It's my little kazoo, Tutu.”

Rarity stopped, mid step. “You actually named your kazoo. Okay, that's it. No. You may not have it back until you prove that you are a responsible and grown mare who won't use it to cause trouble. Now come along, we're going.”

“Going? Where to? If we head north, to Earth Kingdom, they'll kill us.”

“And if we head to one of our outposts, they'll take us to Sweetie Belle.” The two ponies looked at each other a moment.

“Earth Kingdom.” The two said in unison before they turned to the north and began walking, the elder pony occasionally limping.

------

The sun slowly dipped behind the mountains as the avatar gathered near a campfire. Twilight's friends, the Earth Kingdom representatives and a number of Wonderbolts, including Spitfire and Soarin, had gathered around. She took a deep breath as she looked around. “Okay, so is everypony ready?”

“Yes. Are you sure about this, Avatar?” Spitfire asked gently. “If you feel at all-”

“Oh, stop being such a worry wart,” Filthy said with a roll of his eyes. “We'll be fine, what's the worst that could happen?”

“I'm ready,” Twilight said as she held out her hooves. “Rainbow, Spitfire, Filthy, let's form a circle.” The two pegasi each took one of the alicorn's hooves and one of the earth pony's. The avatar's horn glowed as she slowly cast the spell, a small bag of ingredients being tossed in the fire. Within moments the campfire and ponies around the four disappeared and they reappeared in a strange new world filled with a fog as thick as pea soup.

“... Are those peas floating about?” Rainbow asked as she wiggled her hoof about. “Ugh... it tastes and smells horrible here. I think I got a noodle in my nose.” She put a hoof to one nostril and blew with the other.

“That's the spirit world for you,” Twilight said with a roll of her eyes. “Come on, we're going to have to spend a lot of time looking if we want to find the changelings. Be careful, you never know what coul-”

“HEY! CHANGELINGS!” Filthy yelled as he looked about. “GET YOUR FLANKS OUT HERE! THE AVATAR NEEDS TO SPEAK WITH YOU, YOU GIANT BUGS!”

“Are you insane?!” the alicorn snapped as she glared at the stallion. “What did I just say? Don't... don't...” she trailed off as a loud buzzing filled the air. One by one small black blurs moved through the mist, just far enough out they were blurs, and surrounded them.

“You called, Avatar?” an angry voice hissed from the distance. A powerful buzzing filled the air as the winds swirled around them, making the fog dissipate as the ponies were showered in small peas and bite-sized noodles.

Standing in front of them was a tall, black pony like being. She had holes throughout its body and a long, crooked horn on its head. As she stood her bug-like green wings buzzed wildly through the air. Her tail and mane were made of a rigid, but thin, green material that didn't move in the winds and had holes as well. Her minions were much like her, only small and lacking tails or manes. Dozens of the creatures surrounded them as she moved closer.

“Chrysalis, Queen of the changelings,” Twilight whispered before shaking her head. “Right. Down to business. I've come to ask your aid.”

“Excuse me?” the large changeling asked as a grin formed on her lips. “Whatever would the great and powerful avatar need my help for?”

“To fight off the Water Nation, I-” Twilight started but was quickly interrupted.

“Hello, madam,” Filthy said as he moved forward. “My name is Filthy Rich, but you may call me Rich. I represent the Earth Kingdom. We've come seeking your aid in destroying the Water Nation once and for all. Now, I'm not sure what it is you creature's like, but I'm sure we can come to an agreement. The Earth Kingdom is a very rich country and I assure you, whatever you need, we can get.”

Chrysalis burst into laughter, moving a hoof over her mouth. “You wish for me to help you destroy one of your little countries? Oh, this is too rich.”

“See? It's just Rich, not filthy,” the earth pony said proudly.

“Silence fool. Very well,” the changeling said as she snickered. “I will help you.”

“Really?” Twilight asked as she smiled and took a step forward. “Thank you! How can I ever repay you?”

“Oh, there is no need, Avatar,” the changeling queen said as her horn and eyes began to glow green. “My cost is simple and I have no qualms about taking it!” she hissed as she charged forward. She dove into Twilight as their bodies molded for a second. The four ponies disappeared from the spirit world, each rolling away from the fire as the onlookers stared.

“Did it work?” Soarin asked as he moved to Spitfire's side.

“No! Stop h-grk!” the pegasus mare cried out as a sudden burst of wind sent her flying.

“Such power!” Twilight yelled as she held up her hooves. “Oh yes. You wish for me to destroy one pitiful little empire? Bwa ha ha ha! Easy! But first!” her eyes glanced around at the now frightened masses. “First I will bring my own empire to bare!” Fire shot from her horn and encircled the ponies as they screamed. “Yes! Tremble! For now is the time of the changelings!” she yelled as her horn shot forward and green slime enveloped a number of the fleeing ponies, trapping them. “All will be sacrificed and fall before the might... of... huh?” The alicorn turned around as three shadows suddenly towered over her.

“Get out,” Rainbow growled as she pounded her hoof.

“Of our friend,” Pinkie said as she glared.

“Now!” Fluttershy snapped as she unleashed the full brunt of her stare on the poor mare.

“Hmph,” Twilight said as she rolled her eyes. “What could you three pathetic little ponies possibly do to me? I possess the body and power of the most powerful- AYYYYYYYEEEEEEE!” her screams echoed through the night air as the onlookers quickly covered their eyes.

------

Twilight whimpered as the glow of Fluttershy's healing moved along her body. “W-wassh all dat neshasharry?” the avatar asked through puffed up cheeks.

“Sorry, Twilight,” Rainbow said as she rubbed her hoof nervously through her multi-colored mane. “We might have gone just a teensy bit over board.”

“Nonsense,” Filthy said as he let out a chuckle. “Such raw power! That was just one of them! Imagine if we had an army of those changelings!” the earth pony said as he burst into laughter. “Sure, we need to learn how to control them first, but details! With that we can destroy the Water Nation once and for all!”

“Soarin,” Spitfire said with a sigh.

“On it,” the pegasus said as he drop bucked the earth pony in the back of the head. No pony objected as Filthy crashed to the ground, unconsious. “Now, I believe it may be best for you and your friends to leave before rocks for brains here wakes up,” Soarin said as he glanced to the avatar. “I'm really sorry you got dragged into any of this. I never would have brought him back if I had known he'd be so... that.”

“Now pwobem,” Twilight said before cringing and rubbing her face. “Did yah havta hid sho hawd?”

“I said I was sorry,” Rainbow said with another cough. “It's not like I pile-drived you like another certain pony. I don't know where Pinkie learned to fight like that...”

Fluttershy eeked as she focused more closely on healing the puffyness. Spike suddenly found the floor fascinating as he avoided looking at the ponies. Pinkie gave the two a little hidden wink.

“Now, we have a special surprise for you, as thanks for all you've done,” Soarin said as he walked outside. A few moments later and the others followed. Outside was a very small airship, designed only for a hoofful of ponies. The balloon was long and narrow and the ship was made of black oak and sanded completely smooth, with a griffon figurehead. Supplies were stacked up in the back and small wind sails were latched onto the side.

“Woooooooooow,” Rainbow said as she hopped into it. “This must have taken forever to make, it's for us?” She rubbed a hoof along the smooth wood as she let out a whistle.

“Yep. As much as I'd love to take the credit, it wasn't just us air benders who made it,” Soarin said as he made a gesture to all the gathered ponies. “Every pony here chipped in to prepare this for you, Avatar. It was the least we could do,” he turned and smiled to her. “Please remember, no matter what happens, that we're all here rooting for you. Though you may not be a master air bender yet, we know you'll one day succeed in your goals. Besides, with such a talented air bending master to teach you, I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly.”

Rainbow snickered as she waved a hoof. “Aw shucks, you're too kind... feel free to go on.”

“Heh, he's right though. Once you get an earth bending master to teach you, you'll be ready in no time,” Spitfire said as she moved forward to help the others into the ship. As it began to lift into the sky she yelled out. “Remember, no matter what happens! We're all behind you, no matter what! Okay everypony! Let's let her know how we feel!”

The ground practically shook as the cheers rang out into the heavens. “AVATAR! AVATAR! AVATAR! CHICKENWINGS THE AVATAR! YEAHHHHHHHHHH!” Hats, saddles and a few potatos were tossed into the air as the ponies cheered. Twilight smiled, despite the pain in her face, as she waved goodbye.

Below, Filthy groaned as he wobbled out of the tent. “What? Who? W-where's th-” A firm buck to the side of the head dropped the pony back into dream land.