• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,452 Views, 208 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 2: Earth Pony - Jeweled Pen



The second book showing the fight between Avatar Twilight and the powerful Water Nation. With a new enemy appearing, will Twilight and her friends stand a chance?

  • ...
11
 208
 3,452

Chapter 3: Expeditious Flights

The wind blew through the streets of Cherry Bloom Rise as the dozens of food stands stood side by side, ponies yelling out their wares. A large blue unicorn stallion, garbed in glimmering bronze armor with a flowing red cape, walked through the streets. His head was held high as he gazed about, glancing from merchant to merchant. He stopped and posed dramatically, his golden mane billowing in the wind, before walking once again. He smirked as ponies stared at him in fear and jealousy.

He strode to a nearby banana stand and grabbed one with his magic, lifting it up and inspecting it. He hmphed before glancing to the earth pony who sold it, a bright yellow stallion with a black mane. “Interesting wares. I trust you bring only the finest to market?” he sneered.

“Y-yes sir, Commander Shining Speare,” the stallion squeaked. “W-whatever isn't donated to the war effort, of course.”

“Good,” the unicorn mumbled as he peeled it and then took a bite. He spit it out and shook his head. “Is this really all you little earth ponies can do? I thought this was all you were good for,” he snapped as he tossed the banana onto the earth pony's head and walked off.

He soon came upon a small cherry stand, marked at a bit each. He hmphed and reached out to take one.

“One bit each, a dozen for ten bits,” a voice piped out from behind the stand. He glanced behind to see another yellow earth pony, this one a young mare.

Speare rolled his eyes and picked up a cherry, letting out a yelp as his hoof was smacked.

“Ah said one bit each. No free samples,” the earth pony said as she put her front hooves on the stand and glared up at him. Her big red ribbon moved slightly in the wind, clipped tightly into her red mane.

“You dare to strike me?” Speare growled as his eyes narrowed on the mare. “Do you have any idea who I am?!”

“Yah can't be anypony too important if yah can't even afford one bit for ah cherry,” the mare said matter-of-factly as she stared up at him.

“You... you... dirty little mud swaddler! What is your name?!” Speare growled as put his own hooves on the counter.

“Flowerbloom, of dah Cherry family,” she answered.

“Well, little Flowerbloom, apparently your parents didn't teach you well enough,” he hissed. “The only reason you and your little hornless kind are allowed to work the fields is because of the graciousness of your unicorn sup-” He let out a yelp as the mare shoved his hooves back and he fell flat on his face, slamming hard into the wooden table. He rolled off and onto the ground with a groan.

“Don't think jus' cause yah got a horn and a bit ah fancah bendin' yah can just come and mess up mah stand,” the earth pony said as she peered over the edge of the stand. “Now, if yah want a cherry dat will be a bit or ten bits for a dozen.”

Speare slowly pulled himself up, rubbing the side of his aching face. “You... you little worm chewer!” His horn glowed as water began to fly up from the nearby stands and gather above his head. “Apparently you still have a lot to learn about your betters!” Ponies began ducked behind stands and cried out in fear as they watched with wide eyes.

“Ah ain't never ate a worm and yah ain't one ah mah betters,” Flowerbloom snapped. “If yah want meh tah drop yah again, fine.”

Speare growled as he took a step forward, right as the mare tapped her back hoof on the ground. A bit of dirt slipped out from under the stallions hoof, tripping him as he crashed down onto the stand's counter top again. This time Flowerbloom gripped him by the horn and lifted his head up, before slamming it twice into the wood. The stallion rolled over, his eyes little swirls.

“What have you done?” one of the other merchants yelled as he shook his head. “He was a water bender! Are you trying to get us all executed?”

“Ah, relax,” another pony said with a roll of her eyes. “Ain't the first time one ah them benders tried throwin' their weight around. Far as ah'm concerned, I didn't see nothin'. Serves the lot ah them right.”

“You say that now, but just wait,” the stallion said as he glanced down at the groaning, but unmoving, commander. “It wouldn't be the first time a few earth ponies have gone missing. The benders watch out for their own more th-”

“Shush!” one of the ponies yelled as the entire crowd went silent. The cause was easy to see as eight unicorns, in black armor, came around the corner. The merchants made themselves as small as possible as the unicorns made their way to the small cherry stand and stood, side-by-side, before it.

Flowerbloom gulped as she looked around nervously. “Uh oh...” she squeaked.

Speare groaned as he got to his hooves, shaking his head. “Y-yes. Soldiers. A-arrest this mare,” he said as he wobbled from side to side. “She... she attacked me. Dah lil mud... coddler... she...”

“Did she now?” asked a mare from behind him.

“Yes! She... she...” he trailed off as he turned and saw the unicorn behind him. “Y-your highness!”

“Tell me, little... commander,” Sweetie said as her eyes glowed with a purple light. “Did Flowerbloom attack you?”

“Huh? Yes! She...” he trailed off again. “You... you know her name?”

“Oh, of course I do. Don't you know the names of all your dear best friends?”

Speare stood stock still as the color drained from his face. “F-friend? B-best friend?” he squeaked as he found it suddenly very difficult to breath. “S-she's... she's one of your... i-is it g-getting r-really hot in here?” Sweat began billowing down his face as he struggled to breathe.

“... I see, very well.” The unicorn glanced to one of the guards. “Have him dehorned and thrown in an earth pony battalion.”

“What? NO!” he shrieked as he backed away. “Anything but that, please! H-have mercy your highness, oh please, I-I'm sorry, it'll never happen again, p-please d-don't turn me into a c-common earth pony!”

Flowerbloom sighed as the commander was grabbed by two guards and dragged away. “Sweetie Belle, ah don't think yah should do that. He was a bit of ah jerk, but cuttin' off his horn is a bit much,” she said firmly. The guards, once standing stoic, cringed at the mare's disapproval of their princess' orders. They turned to the young white unicorn, nervously awaiting her response as the color began to drain from their faces.

“Ugh, fiiiiine,” Sweetie said with a roll of her eyes. “Just strip him of his rank then. He can keep his horn.” The guard ponies let out a collective breath as Speare was led away.

“So, what brings yah here? Lookin' for some ah the best cherry's this side ah the capital?” Flowerbloom asked with a big wide smile.

“No, actually,” a wicked grin spread along her lips. “I've come here for you,” she paused for a moment, “and possibly a few of your mother's cherry pies. They just don't make them like that at the capital.”

“Oh, ummmm...” the young earth pony looked around. “Ah'm kinda workin' right now. I still got a lot of cherries to-”

“We'll take the lot of them,” Sweetie said as she motioned to the guards. “Get the cherries to the ships, get a bag of bits and take the stand back to their farm. Now, come?”

Flowerbloom nodded nervously. “Oh, well... errr, in that case... coming...” she mumbled as she trotted up besides Sweetie. The two walked side by side through the streets, the unicorn happily gabbing as they went.

As the two mares disappeared around the corner, a small gray pegasus let out a sigh of relief as she wiped some sweat from her yellow mane. “See? It all works out sometimes. Maybe we-” A moment later Speare came galloping down the street, pursued by two of the guards. He spent too much time looking behind himself that he failed to see the cart in front of the pegasus. He shrieked as he slammed head first into it, toppling it over and sending its pastry delights across the ground. “My muffins!” the pegasus yelled.

A light brown earth pony standing besides the pegasus lightly patted her back. “There there. I'm sure it won't happen a third time.”

------

Twilight sprawled out on the bottom of their airship, on top of a custion. “I can't believe how nice this is compared to the blimps,” she said with a giggle. “It practically flies itself!”

“Yeah, it does,” Rainbow mumbled as she curled up in the back. “Don't forget, we still need to practice your air bending later. Just after I get a few more hours to nap...”

Fluttershy was curled up on her back, a small beam of sunlight warming her stomach as she practically purred. “Mmmmmm...”

“It's nice we don't have to run about any more,” Spike mumbled as he rummaged through the supplies. “Would have been nice if they had given us some gem stones.”

“Yeah, we can just relax,” the avatar mumbled as she spread out her wings. “Just fly to the capital, find a nice trainer and start practicing. No more needing to worry about the Water Nation attacking us.”

“Yep! Kinda like that group down there,” Pinkie said as she peered over the edge of the ship's rim.

“Mmmm hmmm,” Twilight mumbled. After a few moments her eyes went wide. “What?”

“Oh yeah, there's about ten of the Water Nation soldiers down there surrounding some poor unicorn.”

The alicorn darted to the edge of the ship, peering over. True to the earth pony's words, a small unicorn mare, pulling a large cart, was surrounded on all sides by soldiers. “Quick, we're going down!”

“What? Why?” Spike groaned as he climbed up to look over the edge. “There's like ten of them. I don't think you actually need to- ahhh!” he shrieked as Pinkie pulled on a cord and adjusted the sails. The ship began to descend rapidly.

“Okay, let's... huh?” Rainbow said as something small zipped past her head. “What was-” another one nicked her ear. “What the buck are they... oh hay.” An arrow lodged into the wood. “They have arrows, pull up, pull up!” she yelled as she started to crawl out of the ship.

“My tail is twitching!” Pinkie shrieked as they all heard a soft pop from above.

Air began escaping out the top as the ship descended rapidly. Arrows flew through the air at them, some creating more holes in the balloon, as the ponies clung to whatever they could. The bottom finally slammed into the ground, the wood shattering from the force. Ponies, supplies and a dragon were sent hurtling as the balloon finally, in one final act of betrayal, burst into flames.

“Owie,” Twilight whimpered as she stretched out her wings. “Everypony okay?” she asked as she looked about. Spike was buried head first into the ground, though Pinkie was helping him out. The remaining two ponies were on the ground, swirls in their eyes. “Well at least every- eep!” her hair stood on end as an arrow lodged by her hoof. She then growled as she turned to the Water Nation ponies.

“You! Surrender! You are hereby prisoners of the Water Nation! If you resist you'll-”

The alicorn growled as a fireball formed above her head. With a single nod she sent the ball of flame at the hooves of the pegasus. She bared her teeth as she began stepping towards them. “I'm the avatar. That was a VERY special gift from some VERY special friends of mine. If you want to try to fight me, you better have a lot more than a few bows and arrows.”

The pony gulped as he took a step back. He turned to his comrades. “Okay, you all know what this means. RUN!”

Twilight stared in bewilderment as the ponies galloped away, too shocked to pursue. “They... what? But... Wh- AHH!” she screamed as she was suddenly tackle-glomped by the unicorn mare. She was sent toppling back as she stared. “Errrr, hello?”

“Oh thank you thank you thank you so much!” the unicorn said between sobs. “A-ah thought ah was a goner, oh thank you! Ah never should have left, ah was so, so, so stupid! Thank you!” The pony got off and brushed dirt off the alicorn. “Ohhh! Ah'm so sorry! Are yah really the avatar? As in the one an' only? Oh wow yah have horns and wings! Yah must be! Thank yah so much for saving me!”

“Errr, no problem,” Twilight blushed as she looked up at the red coated mare. “My name's Twilight and these are my friends. Errr, when they get up.”

“Oh, right! Mah name is Rosebush, a pleasure,” the mare said as she shook the avatar's hoof so fiercely the alicorn was almost lifted off the ground.

“I-I-I see,” she squeaked. “Well, we need to gather our supplies and...” she looked back to the ship and groaned. “Start walking all the way to Fillydelphia...”

“Oh? Yah'all headed to the capital? Well, if yah need some supplies ah'm sure my family would be more than happy to thank yah,” she paused a moment as she glanced at her cart. “Though we don't really have a lot. What with all the raids and trade routes all being cut off. Though if you're headed to the capital, maybe we can come with yah!”

“Come with? I'm not sure wha- ack!” the alicorn found herself tugged to the cart.

“No need tah worry, your avatar-ness! Just sit back and relax, Ah'll help your minions gather your things and we can go! Yes yes!” the mare said as she happily trotted off.

“But I'm not, they're not, what?” Twilight squeaked as she looked down in confused. Dozens of flowers were strung up under her in tight rows.

------

“Your family's been doing well,” Sweetie said as she trotted through the fields filled to the brim with cherries. Dozens of earth ponies were walking through, bucking the fruits down and carrying baskets of them.

“Yeah, dad's been workin' his flank off tah get this harvest to be our best yet,” Flowerbloom said as she gave a small wave to some of the helping hooves. “He's even been lettin' me sell down at the market, alone, eva since the sun came up.”

“Fascinating,” the unicorn mumbled as she glanced around. “Though, I'll never understand why he'd stick to such meager surroundings. Even if he is an earth pony, as one of our greatest decorated soldiers he could have had so much more. Never had to toil in the mud like a common... errr, no offense.”

The earth pony rolled her eyes. “Yeah, he could be back at the capital. Listenin' to all the benders talkin' about how lucky we are a lowly earth pony is allowed tah grace their presence.”

Sweetie moved over and gently bumped their cutie marks together, the earth ponie's a small red circle behind a wheelbarrow. “Now, you know I didn't mean it like that. You have always been one of my best friends and one of the few ponies I trust with my life. Which is actually the main reason I've come. Now-”

“Flowerbloom!” a powerful voice rung out. Standing on the porch of the nearby old wooden house was a very light yellow earth pony mare. Her mane was very dark red, layered and flowing so that it was almost as large as her. “What are yah doin' home so early? Did somethin' happen at the market?” the pony galloped forward and gripped the younger mare by the shoulders and looked her over. “Yah didn't get in anotha fight, did yah?”

“No, moooooom,” Flowerbloom grumbled. “I just had a visit from an old friend. Yah remember Sweetie Belle, right?”

The elder pony turned and gasped. “Well, bless mah stars, if it isn't the lil princess herself.” Before Sweetie could defend herself, the mare was on her. Cheeks were pinched and hair was tussled. “My oh my, you're growin' up to be a nice pretty lady, jus' like mah dear lil Flowerbloom. So, what do we owe this honor?”

“Wet mah scheeks go,” Sweetie said, trying not to whimper at the powerful grip of the earth pony. As soon as they were released she rubbed her cheeks. “I actually have some things I wish to discuss with all of you, Mrs. Jubilee. Is Mr. Fizzy around?”

“Well, he's out in the field right now, but he'll be here for supper. Now that I look at you, you're naught but skin and bones! Tut tut,” the earth pony shook her head in disappointment. “We're gonna have tah get yah a real supper, ah insist.”

“But Mrs. Jubilee, we-”

“Not another word, Sweetiecakes. Ah won't hear of it,” the mare said as she turned about and trotted towards the house. “Now you and lil Flowerbloom have fun and I'll call yah in when suppers ready, not a second sooner.” The door slammed shut behind her as she disappeared inside.

“Sorry about that,” Flowerbloom said as she rubbed her head. “Mom's always excited wheneva we got guests. You're in for a right hum dinger of a meal.”

The unicorn nodded, wiping a bit of drool from her mouth. “Oh, I imagine so. I remember some of our sleep overs. I guess I should tell you why I'm here, though. I need your help.”

“Mah help? Whateva for?”

“I need your help tah, err, to capture the avatar.”

“What?!” the earth pony froze as her eyes went wide. “W-what makes yah think ah know the first thing about takin' down a pony like dat? I've been hearin' all the stories since the sun gone and come out!”

“I know, I know,” Sweetie said with a chuckle. “But I know you would be invaluable. You've been training in the same anti-bender training as your father. That's all the avatar is, just another bender.”

“A-ah don't know. It seems like-”

“I'm going to get Scootaloo's help too.”

A grin slowly spread along the earth pony's face. “Tell yah what, if yah can get daddy tah say yes, then ah'm in.”

“I knew I could count on you!” the unicorn said as she hugged the mare. “Cutie mark crusader avatar hunters?”

Flowerbloom chuckled as she nodded. “Cutie mark crusader avatar hunters.”

------

“So, great and powerful avatar,” Rainbow said with a smirk. “Your minion would love to inform you that we've almost arrived. If you would be so kind as to grace her with your ear for a moment.” The five ponies, and little dragon, were walking across a long dirt road. Fields of flowers surrounded them on all sides and, as they crossed over another hill, they saw it.

A small town, known as Daisy Hill, stood out from the land. It was surrounded on all sides by fields of flowers, like the petals of a dandelion. Ponies moved through the town, all unicorns or pegasi, weaving between the wooden shacks. Suddenly a loud voice split the air. “ROSEBUSH! She's alive!”

Instantly ponies galloped out from the town, surrounding the group and hugging the mare. “Don't ever do that again! You could have been killed! Whatever possessed you to do such a thing?” a large, old unicorn stallion asked angrily.

“Ah'm sorry pa. I couldn't just sit around here any longer! We wait much longer and we won't be able tah ship a darn thing.”

“You shouldn't have gone out there,” a voice called out as the crowd got quiet. Two light yellow earth ponies stepped forward. “We can't protect you out there.”

“Errr, sorry,” Rosebush squeaked as she poked her hooves together. “But, I have good news! The avatar has come!” she said as she motioned to the alicorn. “And her minions!”

“Errr, hi,” Twilight said as she raised a hoof to wave.

The two earth ponies exchanged looks before large grins formed on their faces. They galloped forward and bowed their heads. “Well, I'll be,” the first one said, a pony with a red and white striped mane.

“As I live and breathe, the avatar,” said the second, a near exact twin of the other, except he had a big bushy red mustache. “Allow us to introduce ourselves. He's Flim.”

“He's Flam,” said the one lacking the facial hair.

“We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers!” the two said in unison as they stood back up. “Protectors of Daisy Hill and master earth benders, a pleasure.”

“Please, come, come,” Flim said as he took her right hoof.

“Yes, come, let us show you around!” Flam said as he grabbed the other hoof and together they dragged her off.

“Yeah, fine!” Rainbow called out after them with a roll of her eyes. “We'll just sit back here, we're fine. Not like we have anywhere to be or anything!”

------

“By the stars,” Sweetie groaned as she rubbed her stomach. “I haven't eaten a meal like that in... in years.”

“Well, yah know ah can't have no special friend a Flowerbloom's leave here empty stomached, now can ah?” Jubilee asked as she leaned back in her chair. The entire group, including the ten unicorn guards, farm hands and the Cherry family, were all sitting at a large oak table set up outside. “Ain't nothin' better than a good meal after a hard days work.”

“Indeed,” a large light brown earth pony said as he picked at his teeth with a small pick. “Now, yah all had a reason for comin' out here, correct? Though ah wouldn't blame yah comin' out tah sample soma my sweet Jubilee's cherry pie. If ever there was somethin' worth goin' to war for.”

“Actually, there is something,” Sweetie said before glancing back to the older mare. “Though if we could get some of those pies to go, I'd be in debt to you. I wish to take Flowerbloom with me on a special mission for the Water Nation. Something that could affect the entirety of the nation, Mr. Fizzy.”

The stallion froze as he put his hooves on the table. “What exactly is this mission?”

“We're pursuing the avatar,” Sweetie said proudly. “We believe she's traveling through the Earth Kingdom.”

Fizzy shook his head. “Ah... with all do respect, your highness, ah have to respectfully say no.”

“What?!” Sweetie snapped as she stood on her back hooves, eyes glowing purple.

“Ah came here tah settle away from all the war efforts,” the pony said as he shook his head. “Ah fought long and hard, lost many good friends and family out there. Ah did everything I could tah ensure mah child wasn't-”

“But she isn't really your child, is she?!” Sweetie hissed as her eyes glowed with a malevolent light. “You adopted her and you think you can just deny what-”

“Sweetie Belle!” Flowerbloom hissed as she glared at her friend. “They're jus' as much mah parents as Nightmare Moon is yours!”

The unicorn froze for a moment before shaking her head. “Y-you're right. I'm sorry, I... huh?” she looked at her guard, all of which were hiding under the table. “Just what are you doing?”

“Dropped my spoon, your highness.”

“Dropped my fork.”

“Hiding from your ang- err, I mean dropped my knife.”

Sweetie rolled her eyes before turning back to the stallion. “Please, reconsider. You've trained her in your arts. If anypony can help me capture the avatar, it's her. I need her help.”

The stallion rubbed his chin as he stared at the young princess before letting out a sigh. “Flowerbloom? Do yah really wanna go?”

The earth pony poked her hooves together before nervously nodding.

“Very well. Ah... ah guess ah'll allow it. Flowerbloom, you're a growin' up. It wouldn't be right for meh tah stop yah from doin' what yah need to. Just promise me you'll be sa-oof!” the stallion groaned as he suddenly found himself glomped by two small mares.

“Thanks daddy!” Flowerbloom squeaked.

“Thanks Mr. Fizzy!” Sweetie squealed.

“Yes,” Jubilee said through gritted teeth as she got up. She grabbed Fizzy by the collar and pulled him away from the two. “Allow me a moment to speak with my dear husband.” The stallion let out a yelp as he was dragged into the other room.

“Come on, let's go pack!” Flowerbloom squealed as she galloped off.

------

Rainbow hmphed as she lounged about on one of the wooden huts. The moon was high in the sky now, so a number of torches glowed through the town. In the center of the community, tables had been set up and ponies were performing to the best of their ability for Twilight. The rainbow-maned pegasus just watched from a distance.

“So, why aren't you at the party?” a voice called up from the ground. The pegasus looked over the edge of the roof and saw Spike, sitting against the hut.

“Didn't feel like it, not really in the mood,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Oh?” Spike asked with a chuckle. “So it has nothing at all to do with the fact that Twilight is getting all the attention, not the amazing air bending master, Rainbow?”

The pegasus' cheeks turned red as she shook her head. “That has nothing to do with it! I just... something feels off. The entire... thing.”

“What about it? The avatar scared off some of the Water Nation soldiers and they're treating her like a hero.”

“Yeah, but... it just... I... ugh. Why were they even here?”

“Probably, I don't know, because there is a war going on?” Spike reminded her with a roll of his eyes. “A small town filled with food, with only two earth benders to protect it? If I was going to attack a town, this is the one I'd choose.”

“Yeah, but... ugh,” Rainbow shook her head. “I just... how did those two keep it safe? Sure, I can wipe out a few water benders, but...”

“But you're so awesome that nopony else could possibly be able to do it too?”

“Yeah! No, well, err... ugh,” she grumbled as she got to her hooves. “Stop making sense. I just... I'm going to go for a midnight flight. Clear my head. I'll be back later.” She took to the air before the dragon could object.

Rainbow shook her head as she flew into the heavens, dancing around the clouds until her wings were tired and sweat coated her mane. “I'm not angry about not getting attention,” she grumbled to herself. “Spike has no idea what he's talking about. There's nothing at all wrong with knowing I'm extremely awesome. I don't care if others know it too.” The pegasus dropped down onto a small cloud as she let out an annoyed sigh. “Is he right? Is that why I feel so upset? Am I letting arrogance get in the way of... pfft. Yeah right. Me? Arrogant? Hah!”

The mare jumped into the air and spread out her wings. “It's only arrogance if you're not actually awesome. I'll show them, I'll find all ten of those soldiers and take them down myself!” she said confidently as she glanced about. “It can't be that hard to find them. They... they... oh you have got to be kidding me,” she grumbled as she face hooved. Less than a mile away she could see the glow of a camp fire. “Confident little ponies, aren't they?”

The pegasus took off like a bolt, streaking through the air so fast the clouds burst around her. As she came closer her eyes saw a neat stack of the Water Nation armor, stacked by a campfire. A wicked grin spread across her lips as she adjusted her path and dove straight at them.

“Do you hear something?” one of the ponies asked his comrade as a whistling sound pierced the air. “I w-” he was cut off as the campsite exploded outwards, the winds toppling over tents, armor, the ponies and extinguished their fire.

Rainbow stood in the middle of the ruined campsite, smirking as she held her wings out. “Okay you Water Nation wimps! Let's see what you got! If you thought the avatar was terrifying, just wait until you see me!”

“What's going on?!” one of the ponies yelled as he tried to light one of their torches, but as soon as it was up he was sent back by a powerful blow from the pegasus, her wind putting out the flame.

“Get the bows! It's the bright blue bl-grrkk!” another soldier went down from a well placed kick.

“Hah!” Rainbow jeered as she sent another flying into the air. “You fight worse than Twilight flies! Come on, give me a ch-GAH!” The ground suddenly shot up under the mare, slamming into her stomach and knocking her over. A moment later a torrent of blows struck her from above before finally crashing her skull into the ground.

After a few moments a torch was lit and one of the ponies moved towards the mare, lifting her eyelids up. “Yup, she's out,” the pony said as he pulled his hoof back. He then looked towards the shadows. “About time, Flim.”

“It's Flam,” the mustached pony said as he walked over towards them. “I would have been here sooner, but we had to keep the avatar distracted. What was this about?”

“No idea,” one of the ponies grumbled as he grabbed a thin dagger. “I thought you said you'd keep anypony from coming out at night. This is all starting to look bad. We signed on for this to steal from village ponies, not benders. Especially not the avatar.” He raised the dagger over Rainbow.

“Hold on!” Flam snapped as he stomped a hoof down, the ground moving up to shield the mare as the dagger was thrust down. “She's helpless. Defenseless. But, best of all, one of the avatars little friends.”

“What do you have in mind?”

Flam moved over to run a hoof down the unconscious mares wing. “Oh, isn't it obvious? This is perfect. Our ticket to the big time, ladies and gentlemen. And the avatar is going to lead the way.” The earth pony began to laugh. After a few seconds, the others joined him. He then raised a hoof, “Okay, enough laughter. We still have a lot to discuss, how have the raids on...”

------

Sweetie smiled as she glanced to her guards, each one holding a few cases. Most of which were food. “Are you sure you're okay giving us this much?” she asked Jubilee.

“Of course,” the earth pony said with a sigh, her arms wrapped tightly around Flowerbloom, still refusing to let go. “If mah lil girl is gonna have tah go out in the world by her lonesome, ah wanna make sure she gets a proper meal. None of those war ration things. She's a growin' lass, needs her nutrition so she can grow up nice an' strong like her ma.”

“Ma, it's fine!” Flowerbloom grumbled as she tried climbing from the hold, to no avail. “Ah'm fine, really. Ah'll eat good, proper food, wash behind mah ears an' make sure not tah get hit bah any bendin'. Aside from dah bendin' you're puttin' mah back through!”

“Are you absolutely, positively certain yah wanna go?” Jubilee asked as she finally, but reluctantly, released the mare.

“Ma, ah'll be fine,” the young earth pony said as she stood up to give her mother a kiss on the cheek. “Ah promise. Ah'll be with Sweetie and Scoots the whole time.”

“Ah know...” the elder pony mumbled as she gave a worried glance to Sweetie, before turning back to her child. “Now, go give your father a great big hug before yah go.”

“Okay ma!” Flowerbloom said as she pulled from her mother and ran to the elder stallion. She jumped up and gave him a great big hug. “Bye pa, ah'll miss yah.”

“Ah know,” he mumbled as he hugged his daughter. “Remember, no matter what happens,” he whispered into her ear. “Don't ever let Sweetie make yah do something yah don't want to. You're a Cherry, and we don't take crud from nopony, yah hear?”

The younger mare chuckled as she rolled her eyes. “Oh, don't worry pa. Ah'll be fine, yah just worry too much. Bye!” With a final wave, the mare turned and galloped to Sweetie's side. “So, where tah next?”

“Going to have to get Scootaloo,” the unicorn said with a grin.

“Isn't she at-”

“Yep,” the mare interrupted. “We'll be there in no time. This is going to be just like old times, isn't it?”

“Yup!” the two gave one more cutie mark bump before bursting into giggles as they walked.