• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,452 Views, 208 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 2: Earth Pony - Jeweled Pen



The second book showing the fight between Avatar Twilight and the powerful Water Nation. With a new enemy appearing, will Twilight and her friends stand a chance?

  • ...
11
 208
 3,452

Chapter 25: Spa Days

Five exhausted ponies laid comfortably in their beds, wrapped tightly in thick, warm blankets. Even though the sun was beginning to rise, none of them seemed the least bit willing to attempt awakening. Sadly, such decisions have a tendency to backfire.

Vinyl was fully intent on making it one of those times as she happily trotted through the castle, a smirk on her face. She soon stopped in front of the door of the five. With the gentlest of movements, she opened it. “Awwww,” she said softly as she saw the five ponies sleeping sound. “Such heavy sleepers, tut tut.” She propped the door open and walked away.

A few moments later the unicorn returned, tugging along a massive gong the size of three Big Macs. She picked up a pair of fuzzy blue earmuffs and put them on, before gripping the rod in her magic.

Octavia hummed softly as she trotted down the hall towards the avatar and company. “I wonder if they've awoken yet. Oh, their door is op-” Suddenly, the entire castle shook as a massive crack shook the building to its foundations, echoing through the halls and jarring the earth pony's body into the air. A moment later a gong shot out of the room, followed by fire balls, clocks, rocks and a retreating Vinyl, laughing maniacally.

“They're up!” the unicorn yelled happily as she ran past. Octavia just stared, but moved aside as the unicorn galloped past. A moment later Twilight, Rainbow, Applejack and a very angry bunny galloped from the room, after her.

The earth bender let out a loud sigh before shaking her head. “Oh Vinyl. Sometimes I wonder about you.”

------

“You're up early,” Celestia said as she trotted down into the kitchen, glancing at Blueblood.

“Huh? Oh, I was ummm, just making some tea. Would you like some?” the stallion asked as he held up the teapot, a nervous grin on his face.

“Of course,” she said as she sat down. She soon drank from from a small glass, frowning as she stared at it. “An... interesting flavor. Which leaves did you use?”

“All of them,” he mumbled. “C-can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Did, uhhh, did you hire Coco? I mean, she was-”

“Yes, I did,” the unicorn said with a knowing smile, before struggling to take another drink of the tea. “She'll be here this morning. In fact, I believe her work will allow you and Rarity to escape for your little spa trip.”

Blueblood paled, his mouth falling open. “You... how did you... k-know?”

“Very little escapes my attention, Blueblood,” Celestia said as she sipped her tea. “You're choosing a dangerous path.”

“W-what? Path? What do-”

“My daughter is very special and dear to me. I'd suggest you think long and hard about what kind of relationship you wish to have with her. Be it friendship, or something more.”

“I was just, I mean, I never meant to, she was just, I-”

“She is a grown mare, she is allowed to make her own decisions. However...” she slowly put the tea down as her eyes narrowed into slits. “If you hurt her, I will destroy you.”

“I, I wasn't. I mean, I'd never try to hurt her. She's... really kind and... I was just... errr...” He nervously shuffled his hooves.

“Good. You seem to have a better control over that... annoying side of yourself, if nothing else. So I hope the two of you have a pleasant trip.”

“O-of course... we w-will...”

“Gooood morning!” Rarity sang as she trotted down the stairs. “Oh? You're up too?” she said to Blueblood. “Sleep okay?”

“Y-yeah. I uhhh, are you r-ready to go?”

“Mmmm hmmm. Just need to eat some breakfast. What do we have?”

“There's some fresh fruit under the counter. I sliced it up myself,” Celestia said as she narrowed her eyes on the stallion again, making him shiver.

------

“And then she was all 'fwoosh' and I was like 'yah' and then she was all 'craggle boom'!” Vinyl said excitedly as she, Octavia and the avatar's group traveled through the city. “Octy, you should have seen it!”

“Mmmm hmmm,” the earth pony mumbled as she looked over her friend. The unicorn was charred at places, had her glasses lopsided and was missing a large chunk of her mane. “I see that, truly, nothing can dampen your spirits. Was all that truly necessary?”

“Yes,” Twilight, Rainbow and Applejack said in unison.

Their unicorn guide suddenly stopped. “Oh, I almost forgot! There's a great little shop around here, going to get his royalness something,” the water bender said as she dipped into one of the shops.

“Vinyl, do you really have to do that now? The avatar and her friends are waiting to go.”

“I'll just be a moment, just hold your flanks.”

Across the street, Rarity and Blueblood stepped out of the Jasmine Dragon, the former gently humming as they walked. “It's been so long since I've been to a proper spa. I do hope they have all the required amenities.”

“I bet they'd have all the basics and ones we've never heard of,” he mumbled as he walked on her right, blocking the avatar's group from view as they walked.

“Oh? You've been to one before?”

“Not... quite.”

“Oh, you'll absolutely adore them then. It is just the most delightful experience. Now, come along,” she said as she popped open the door and trotted inside.

On the opposite side of the street, Vinyl popped out with a large, copper bowl. “There!”

“You got him an old bowl? Really? I'm sure he has plenty,” Octavia grumbled.

“Not just any old bowl. Look!” she wiped off the dirt, revealing a picture of a blue unicorn underneath. “This is one of those old novelty ones they put pictures of famous benders on! Trust me, guy like that? He loves this kind of junk.”

“Of course. Can we go now? Are you quite finished?”

“Yup! Geeze, Octy. Lighten up, we're going to a spa. It won't be any fun if you don't wanna be loose.”

“I don't know why you had to drag me along on this,” Rainbow grumbled as she crossed her hooves and flew behind them. “I don't do the whole... spa thing.”

“You do the nap thing awfully well,” Applejack said with a smirk. “Ah'm pretty sure yah'd feel right at home in one a these fancy spa thingies.”

“I nap because it's the best way to keep in my peek physical condition,” the pegasus said with a smirk. “Not because I want a bunch of froo froo poking and proding with, ugh, oils.”

“Oh, just try to enjoy yourself Rainbow,” Twilight said with a giggle. They walked into the building, just in time to see one of the doors nearby close. A pink earth pony smiled at them, gently waving.

“Hello, how can I...” the mare trailed off as her eyes went wide. “Oh... my... you're... you're the avatar!” she practically whispered as she stared at Twilight.

“Oh, well, yes. I am. We-”

“We came here for your most expensive spa treatment package!” Vinyl interrupted. “Courtesy of Emperor Fancy Pants!”

“Vinyl!” Octavia hissed.

“What? He said he'd pay for whatever we wanted.”

“We are not buying the most expensive thing.”

“But-”

“No!” the earth pony snapped and then smiled. “We'll take a basic spa package, for seven. His highness will be joining us later, he had some important business to attend to. Is that okay?”

“Y-yes!” the mare squeaked. “M-my name is Aloe, just please come with me!” The excited mare almost tripped over her hooves as she led them to a door, sliding it open to reveal the large heated spa behind it.

------

“Huh?” Rarity asked as she looked up towards the entrance to the familiar pony. “Oh, Lotus, you're back.” the princess said as she leaned back in the small, bubbling hot tub. Blueblood was sitting opposite her, his face a bright red.

“Mmmm hmmm. Are you two enjoying yourselves?” the blue earth pony asked as she gently placed down the tray. On it were two glasses, filled with a liquid that smelled of pineapple.

“Yes. This private spa feels absolutely marvelous,” the princess said as she rubbed her face. “Are you sure it's okay, though? What if another pony wishes to rent it?”

“Oh, don't you worry about that,” the mare said with a giggle. “We've actually just had a large group arrive, so it's best you two are in our private locations. I hope it's not too small?”

“Not at all. I don't know how I could ever thank you for such kindness,” Rarity said with a content sigh. “You and your sister have been the most generous, delightful ponies I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I wish there was some way I could thank you.”

“Oh, your mother is all the thanks we need,” Lotus grinned malevolently as she rubbed her hooves together. “We've been waiting so long for a pony like her. One who could create such breath taking tea. The perfect warm drink to go with such wonderful spa treatments. Yes, soon our influence will spread even farther as the entire country becomes aware of our... of our... errrr...” she trailed off as the two unicorns stared at the plotting mare with wide eyes. She shook her head, waving a hoof dismissively. “Don't mind me. Just enjoy and relax. Once you're ready I have a wonderful masseuse waiting for you two. They are absolutely the best.”

“Thank you, we'll be ready soon,” Rarity said before the earth pony gave a nod and trotted away. “Blueblood, are you too hot? Your face is as redder than I've ever seen one.”

“I-I'm fine,” he squeaked as he watched her. “You ummm... your hair looks quite...” he gulped as he blushed. “D-dazzling when wet...”

She snickered. “Oh, no need to make stuff up, darling. I know I don't look my best, but it's the spa! A chance for me to, let my hair down. So to speak. Just don't pass out, okay?” she said before climbing from the tub and trotting out the door. The stallion squeaked as he watched her go, sinking lower into the water. “Lotus?” Rarity called out.

“In here,” the earth pony said as she popped out from the nearby room, holding the door open. “Come along.”

Rarity trotted inside. As the door closed behind her, the door on the opposite side of the hall popped open.

“Avatar, it's fine,” Aloe said with a giggle as she wiped a towel through her mane.

“I'm so, so, so sorry! I don't know what came over her,” the alicorn squeaked, though she stopped as the earth pony turned and placed a hoof to her chest.

“Relax, avatar. It is fine. We get guests like your pegasus friend on occasion. That's why we have the manacles and saddle,” Aloe said as she trotted towards the front desk.

“Heh heh, good one,” Twilight giggled. She then paused. “Wait. That was a joke? Right? Miss Aloe?” The alicorn paled and trotted after the earth pony.

------

“Not. Happening,” Rainbow growled.

“Come on, it'll be fun!” Pinkie said with a giggle.

“I'd rather get run over by a tank.”

“Just try one, pleeeeease?” Twilight asked as she laid out on the massage table, her friends all getting prepped for theirs.

“I don't do massages. Or any of that-”

“Ah bet you're jus' scared,” Applejack said with a smirk.

“... What did you say?”

“Scared. Yah don't wanna have one'a them deep tissue massages an' let us see yah cryin' like a filly,” the earth bender said with a smirk.

“Rainbow Dash isn't scared of anything!” the pegasus growled before doing a loop in the air. “I could take ten of those massages, no, a hundred! I wouldn't make a peep!”

“Heh, prove it. Ah bet ah could endure one ah those massages for a heckava lot longer than you could.”

“Um, girls, there's no need to-” Twilight started.

“You're on! I'll make you choke on those words!” Rainbow growled as she dove into one of the massage couches. “Get to work. Your most painful massage.”

“Errr, I don't think we-” the massage mare started, but was silenced by a wave of hooves.

“Just do it! I'll see you crying like a filly who lost her lollipop in ten minutes,” Rainbow said with a smirk.

“Heh, don't count on it, feather butt,” Applejack said with a matching smirk as the masseuses got to work.

The avatar held a hoof to her head and shook it. “Sometimes I wonder about them... I'll take a gentle one, please. Careful with the wings, they're new.” Her masseuse nodded and quickly got to work. Within moments she was struggling to stay awake as gentle hooves kneaded her muscles. She glanced to Applejack and Rainbow, both completely still and biting their lips, struggling not to whimper from their... much more powerful experiences.

------

“Mmm-mm-mmm-mm y-y-y-yea-ah,” Rarity groaned as her masseuse thumped on her back, playing the muscles like a drum. “It's been farrrr too long since I've had an experience like this...”

“Oh, I can tell,” the pony said with a disappointed shake of her head. “You are so tense. Have you been under a lot of stress lately?”

“Traveling all over the country, constantly running from ponies who want to do nothing but cause me more problems, stress, vengeance, not to mention all the... it's a long story,” the unicorn mumbled as she glanced to Blueblood. “How about you?”

“I-I think- YEOW! She p-popped something!” the stallion whimpered as his masseuse aligned his body. “Owie, why are you... oh... ohhhhhhh...” he moaned loud and happy. Rarity's face turned bright red as his pained sounds turned to... extremely pleased ones.

“P-please remember we are in a public place,” the unicorn squeaked with a bright red face.

“E-eep, s-sorry. I just f-forgot for a moment,” he said with a nervous gulp. He glanced to her and smiled. “Are... are you enjoying yourself?”

“Yes, this was a marvelous idea. I do hope my... mother and Coco are doing well.”

“It's only the second day, how busy... I'm sure they'll be fine. They both seem quite capable. Maybe after we could, ummm... get something to eat... just... just the two of us.”

“Sir? I'll need you to relax, you're tensing up again,” his masseuse said firmly.

“S-sorry...” he squeaked as he went limp.

“You know what? Dinner sounds absolutely delightful. It has been so long since I've had a meal I or my mother didn't have to prepare ourselves. We'll have to wait until this evening though, after the shop closes. I don't want to leave her short hoofed longer than needed.”

“What? Oh! O-of course!” the stallion said with a wide grin. “I'll find us someplace truly deserving of your, ummm, tastes,” he said with a nervous squeak as his tail happily flicked behind him.

“Sir, please stop wagging," the masseuse said with a sigh.

“S-sorry!”

------

“Y-you done yet?” Rainbow asked as she glared at Applejack, her eyes filled with tears.

“N-not on your l-life! A-ah could... a-ah could do this all d-day!” the earth pony choked out.

“Well, while you two have fun with that, we're going to move on to the mud baths. Come visit us when you get the chance,” Twilight said as she trotted out from the room.

“This has been just so delightful,” Fluttershy said with a happy sigh. “What a wonderful way to spend the morning.”

“Yeah, I wonder where Octavia and Vinyl got-” The alicorn was interrupted as the nearby door was blown off its hinges and mud billowed out from the room. “Think we found them.”

The three ponies peered into the room and, sure enough, Octavia and Vinyl were fighting it out in an epic mud battle to end all. Both were covered from head to toe in the filthy glop and taking cover behind upturned tables. The spa ponies were hiding behind their own tables, wearing helmets.

“Does this happen often?” Twilight asked with a groan.

“More often than you'd think. Happens in a city of earth benders,” the mare said with a shrug, cringing as a hoofful of mud splattered across the wall.

“Okay, that's it,” Twilight stepped forward, opening her mouth to speak, but receiving a double helping of mud and toppling over backwards with a shriek.

“Vinyl, look what you've done!” Octavia hissed. “You hit the avatar!”

“What I did? You started it!” the water bender yelled as she sent another glob of mud into the air.

The earth bender stepped to the side, letting it splat against the wall before thrusting her hoof out, sending a wave of mud at the other.

“Enough!” Twilight finally screamed as she got to her hooves, mud coating her entire body from the assault. “You are both... supposed to be mature grown ups! I don't care why you're fighting, but stop it! Get back in the mud and stop ruining our spa trip or I'm sending you both back to the palace and you can sit in time out!” she screamed, her wings standing tall in an aggressive stance.

“Y-yes'm...” Vinyl squeaked as she sat in the mud.

“Whatever you say,” Octavia said as well as she slid in.

“Good, now, let's enjoy ourselves,” the alicorn snapped as she trotted down into the mud as well, while the spa ponies got to work bending the mud back into the pools. She closed her eyes as she laid back, resting her head against the side of the spa. The others snickered as they watched her. “What? What's wrong?”

“You forgot to get wrapped up, silly,” Pinkie said as the spa ponies got to work on her and Fluttershy.

“Oh... I... oh...” she blushed bright red. “W-well... I-I'm sure it will be fine. Those two already coated me in the stuff, not like I could get any muddier. Though, I can't help but wonder. Why don't we do this more often?”

“Because we're always running for our lives or falling from the sky or fighting off the Water Nation or having awesome giant fights with giant bears or dragons or other things!” Pinkie yelled as she jumped into the air. Everypony shrieked and covered themselves but, as she came closer to the surface, she slowed down and gently fell into the mud.

“How... did you do that?” Twilight asked, her mouth open.

“Oh silly, I know better than to cause a mess here,” the earth pony giggled.

“Yeah, if only all ponies realized that,” the alicorn said as she glanced at the two troublemakers, who looked sheepishly down at the mud.

“So, you wanted to talk, what about?” Vinyl asked. “It seemed really important last night.”

“Oh, well... you see... Spike was kidnapped after being hurt by the elements of harmony. Which... okay, they're a very powerful tool of the avatar. With them, I can defeat Discord and, possibly, the entirety of the Water Nation. Now, I thought we had them all figured out but...” Twilight's gaze lowered as she sunk into the mud. “I... I was wrong. I thought Spike was the sixth, but he wasn't. I was so... so stupid. He's... trapped in some weird state now. I thought I could find answers in this old temple, but we were tricked. The place had been abandoned and there were pirates there who fooled us into thinking they were the tenants. They stole Spike and we have no idea where they took him.”

“Oh, you poor dears,” Octavia said with a frown. “The emperor could possibly put a search out for him? He-”

“I could put a search out for what, hmm?” Fancy asked as he trotted inside, accompanied by Photo. The mare took one look and shook her head.

“No! Such... such mess! Everywhere! This... this will not do!” the earth pony looked around, a hoof under her chin. “You! Spa pony! We require... the sauna! Prepare it immediately!”

“This is quite alright, a mud bath-”

“No! You are ze emperor! I will not have you frolicking around in this used mud like some sort of... sort of animal! Prepare the sauna!” the earth pony clapped her hooves together.

The emperor merely chuckled as he was pulled away by his excitable guard. “I will see you in the saunas then!”

“I guess we'd better get cleaned up then...” Twilight said as she got to her hooves and started climbing out. She then paused. “Pinkie, Fluttershy, you two can wait here. I just need to discuss some things with them. Octavia, Vinyl, I might need you.”

“Coming,” Octavia said as she crawled out, followed momentarily by Vinyl. The three trotted out of the room right as the door opposite them opened. Rarity and Blueblood stepped out, stopping as the mud covered ponies trotted by.

“That's... that's...” Rarity gasped, her mouth falling open. “They have mud baths here! It has been sooooo long since I've had a proper mud bath.”

“Oh? Well, it seems they're finished up in there. If you two would like to go in? I can wrap you,” Lotus said with a smile.

“That sounds marvelous. Blueblood? What do you say?” the unicorn asked with a wide grin on her face.

“T-that sounds like it would be... marvelous,” the stallion echoed with a nervous smile as he trotted after the two. As they walked inside, the unicorn cringed as he saw the two ponies already sharing a mud bath.

“Oh, is this part of the group you mentioned?”

“Indeed, I'm sorry ladies,” Lotus said quickly. “I saw your friends leaving and I assumed-”

“Oh, don't worry about it, you silly billy, the more the merrier!” Pinkie said with a giggle. Blueblood's eyes went wide as he squeaked.

“Diamondeye, you know what sounds really good right now? We should go for a dip in the sauna! Yes, I mean, a steam in the sauna, we can come back for the mud baths when they're done!” the stallion said quickly as he tugged on her hoof.

“Huh? Oh, I ummm, suppose... would that be okay?” the unicorn mare asked Lotus as she was pulled back.

“Oh, of course,” the earth pony smiled as she closed the door and led them down the hall towards a small sauna room and began preparing it. “This is our smaller, private room. You two won't be disturbed.”

Once the two were sitting, Rarity gave Blueblood a confused look. “What was that about?”

“W-what? Nothing, just... I was ummm... just... in the mood for a s-sauna...” he mumbled as he rocked back and forth. “Two for flinching...”

“What?”

“N-nothing.”

------

“Those ponies left really quickly,” Fluttershy mumbled as she wiggled in the mud bath. “You don't think we upset them, d-do you?”

“Nuh uh! I bet they just realllllly wanted to use the sauna.”

“They sounded kind of familiar, don't you think so?” the pegasus asked.

“Mmmm, nahhhhh. The first one looked kinda familiar but Rarity would never cut her mane, not in a hundred million billion gadzipulupadoopillion years! Her tail, maybe, but not her mane. Blueblood's black eye healed nicely though.”

“... O-okay?” Fluttershy squeaked. “Wait, did you just say-”

“Look, I can make mud angels!”

------

“So after that, we tried chasing them,” Twilight said as she leaned back against the sauna's walls. “But, when we came to Los Pegasus, the entire city was in ruins. They destroyed it. Every building, all the ships, so many dead. We knew we had to come here to warn everypony. We even passed by the army on our way here. It was... massive. We had to go under it.”

“Fascinating...” Fancy said as he rubbed his chin. “I've had Sapphire prepare our greatest defenses. You can rest sound knowing that their assault will fail. Our walls are impenetrable.”

“Yeah... what was wrong with Sapphire? She seemed so angry.”

“That... showboater, hmph,” Photo snapped as she shook her head from side to side. “She haz no idea what her position truly is. She thinks she can go beyond it whenever she pleases! Iz disgraceful!”

“She's just a little angry because I'm not forcing Vinyl and Octavia to discuss their current hidden location with any pony,” Fancy said with a chuckle. “She's worried I don't trust her, but the truth is I haven't given that information to any pony.”

“Yup!” Vinyl said with a wild giggle. “There are a lot of ponies here who would just jump at a chance, any chance, to take down a water bender. I didn't bring any of the others with me, just in case anything went bad. It's enough trouble having one water bender here.”

“Well, one free water bender,” Fancy said with a sigh. “We still have the hundreds captured after the Cloudsdale assault, locked away in our dungeons. But those ponies aren't the slightest threat. Perhaps once this war is over, we'll be able to release them and feel peace through our lands again.”

“I can only hope,” Twilight said with a sigh.

“You mentioned these elements of harmony? What exactly are they?” the emperor asked with a grin.

“Oh, those? Powerful tools of the avatar!” the alicorn said with a grin. “They depend on the alicorn and five other wielders, but when used they can create enormous... power, I think, I'm not quite sure. They were what was used to seal up Discord all those years ago. However, Clover was... apparently different. Sorta. She was terrified of having others near her. Of getting other ponies hurt due to her powers and responsibilities as the avatar. She never really made friends because of it. However, the elements were needed. She was able to use them, without having five friends. Now, when I went through the books I managed to find two separate occasions where she used them, but I was unable to determine what allowed her to. I have the dates though, so I want to go through the kingdom's records and find out what was going on near those times. It might help me.”

“Fascinating, truly fascinating,” the stallion mumbled as he rubbed his chin. “And, if you can find what is allowing this, you'll be able to defeat the Water Nation?”

“Possibly. I should, hopefully, be capable of defeating not just the Water Nation, but putting a permanent stop in their plans to unleash Discord. I can use them to save everypony.”

“Then it's decided. Once you and your friends have had the rest you require, I will allow you full and unhindered access to the royal library. If there is any information about them, it would be there.”

“Thank you, your highness. Did you have any more questions?”

“Actually, I did have one. I'd love to hear more about your bending training. How many have you learned so far?”

“Oh, I've began studying earth bending. It's been very difficult, but I have an excellent teacher and...”

------

“Blueblood, you're staring again,” Rarity mumbled as she wiped sweat from her fur.

“S-sorry, I was just... d-distracted...” he squeaked as he watched her. The way her short mane went down her body, the soft delicate clumps of fur, her tail smooth and silky. Every single inch of her made him want to... run from the room and hide behind the nearest wall. He'd never felt so intimidated before! He could hardly believe it. Him of all ponies, intimidated by such a small, weak, sexy, kind mare?

“What by? I don't see how you can even see anything in this thick mist,” she mumbled as she leaned back.

“Oh, I can see plenty. You, ummm, you know, you're quite the fascinating mare. I mean... I never would have thought it when I first met you. At first I thought you were kind of... simple. Lower class. Some kind of pathetic little mare hoping and trying to make yourself a refined, upper class pony.”

“Wow. Just... wow. Couldn't go one little trip while containing your stupid insults, could you?”

“No! I mean, that's n-not what I meant! It's what I thought but... but I was wrong. I mean, I... t-the longer I've spent with you, the more I've... the more I've seen the amazing sides of you. How kind you are. How generous. The way you... always looked out for me. Even saved me a few times,” the stallion nervously poked his hooves together. “I just... I wanted... I wanted to thank you and apologize. I'm sorry I ever thought those things of you.” He reached out and took her hoof. “I mean this. I have never, in my entire life, met any pony as refined and wonderful as you. Everywhere you go, you light up the world with your presence.”

“I... I...” she squeaked as he leaned in closer.

“Diamondeye... I...” He put a hoof on the opposite side of her, moving closer, his eyes locking with hers. His mouth opened slightly as he moved ever closer. “I think I'm in-”

“KYAAAAAAA!” Rarity screamed as her horn lit up. The water from the bucket nearby surged up and slammed into him, knocking him off her with a pained groan. He slammed into the wall, confusion on his face as he looked down.

A moment later his eyes narrowed as he turned his gaze on her, his mouth curled in a sneer as his eyes narrowed into slits. “You're a water bender?” he growled at her.

The door suddenly opened as Lotus peered inside. “I heard a scream, what's going- ahhh!” she let out a shriek as she was nearly toppled over by Rarity, who ran down the hall and out the door.

“What happened? What did you do?” the earth pony asked as she narrowed her eyes on him.

“I didn't, she just, we...” He closed his eyes and shook his head. “Just... I just need some time to think. Please leave me alone.”

“But she-”

“Just leave!” the stallion yelled, making the mare cringe and slam the door shut. Once she was gone he let out a loud yell before slamming his hoof into the wall as hard as he could, ignoring the pain as it arched through his leg. “She's a bucking... damn bucking water bender... I should have known... I should... I should have known.”

------

“What was all that yelling about?” Twilight asked as she looked up from her hooficure.

“I'm not sure, but your two friends might have finished their.... little competition,” Aloe said as she continued filing the alicorn's hooves. “My goodness darling, when is the last time you were at a spa? Your hooves are an absolute mess! I haven't seen any this badly tended to since... since...”

“I-I'm on a life and death journey to save the world from a spirit of chaos and disharmony, I-I don't get much time to stay at spa's,” the mare grumbled as she hung her head. “I-I try my hardest though...”

“It's fine, dear. I'll take extra good care of you. You need new horse shoes as well, when was the last time you replaced them?”

“... Replaced them? I ummmm... I think... about... a hundred years ago.”

“... No wonder you've outgrown them so much. I can't believe some mares... We'll set you and your friends up with brand new ones. You see, this is how some ponies end up walking lop sided. I can't imagine what goes through that mind of yours. Just because you're the avatar doesn't mean you can't take care of yourself every once in a while. Everypony should be spoiled now and again.”

Twilight blushed as she looked down. “I'll... I'll see what I can do. Ummm, how much longer will this take?”

“Not long, but your friends are still-”

“I know, they're still enjoying themselves. I'm going to head back early though. There are a bunch of books I'm just dying to go through. You see, I might finally be able to find the source of this... well, let's just say it's important. So very, very important. In fact, if I solve this I might be able to end the war now! No more fighting, no more Water Nation attacks!”

The earth pony nodded. “I see. Well, while all that is wonderful news. Amazing even, it doesn't excuse such bad care of yourself. I'm going to give you some lotions and hoof tools to use at home, okay? You'll need them if you want any chance of properly saving the world. Or at least, not damaging your hooves beyond repair...”

“Yes ma'am...” the alicorn mumbled as she looked at the ground. Soon, she was finished and loaded down with a large bag of assorted supplies for home tending and, only after promising to read a small booklet on proper hoof treatment, allowed to leave. She galloped through the street, passing by a startled white unicorn. “Sorry!”

“Hey, w-watch where you're running you... you... wait,” Rarity twitched. “Is that the avatar? I... no!” she shook her head and galloped into the shop, darting past Coco who was serving tables. “Jademane!” she hissed to her aunt. “I have, something bad happened. I just, we need to... what are you doing?”

“Making biscuits,” Celestia said as she turned with a large smile. “I thought it would be a wonderful addition. It's just one of a number of other additions we can make to the shop, to help... what's wrong?”

“I... I ummm, n-nothing. I just, errr, I'll talk to you later,” Rarity squeaked as she quickly galloped from the shop, leaving her aunt behind and confused. She darted towards the spa, stopping short of the door as she chewed on her lower lip. “O-okay, think. Think. I need... I need to tell him something. Something to... I could try stabbing him?” she mumbled as she paced by the building. “No, too many witnesses... I can... I can just... I need to... something...” she muttered.

------

“Everything is ready, your highness,” Shadowblade said as she bowed before Sweetie. The unicorn stood in front of her army, their massive ranks standing overlooking the great wall of Fillydelphia.

“Perfect. Then one last thing,” she said as she turned to gaze at her awaiting ponies. “Soldiers! Today marks a great day in our nations history! For today, once the sun sets, marks the beginning of the fall of Fillydelphia! Gaze upon those walls one final time! For tomorrow you will surround them and, within the week, they will fall!”

The soldiers yelled and stomped their hooves, causing the ground to shake underneath their vast numbers. The unicorn chuckled as she turned her back towards them and trotted towards the city. A moment later Scootaloo and Flowerbloom moved to her side. “Are yah sure about this?” the earth pony asked.

“I can think of no better way to destroy this city. We have the numbers, and the wisdom, to perform it. This will be my greatest triumph. Once I have finished, none will dare question me again,” she then glanced to her friends with a smile. “Even more important, none will ever question your loyalty again.”

Flowerbloom smiled as she looked to the ground. “Thank you, your highness.”